Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Occ Seb Virtual Candidates Forum: Q4: Citizen Oversight of Law Enforcement?

Question 4. What are your thoughts and ideas about citizen participation in overseeing law enforcement activities? (citizen review board)

Clearly, citizen participation should be a core element of overseeing all government activity – from public forums in City Council meetings to law enforcement.

Kathleen Shaffer - Did not participate

I don’t see it as practical for a citizen’s review board to oversee all enforcement activities. I do think it’s reasonable to have citizens participate in review actions when there has been a controversial incident or death. It is hard to believe that one PD will review the actions of another PD objectively. The process could use more transparency. Something akin to the Grand Jury could be formed when extreme cases happen, and participate in the review.

I’ve lived in Sebastopol for over ten years, and I walk around town a lot. I have not seen the police here as “overly-aggressive”. If it can be demonstrated that there is a problem, then I will listen and act accordingly. Until then, it seems like this may be a solution is search of a problem.

I have been strongly encouraging a Citizen's Review Board; simular to the one San Francisco has. I have no faith in police departments to honestly review complaints against themselves, having experienced that first hand.

This review board may save the City money by resolving some conflicts without lawsuits. This may also ihelp generate more revenue for local businesses by helping to change the impression others have regarding law enforcement here, which keep them from visiting this area.

It may also help increase the public's safety by building a better sense of trust with the Police Department, which may help with solving and preventing crimes and assistance during emergencies.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Occ Seb Virtual Candidates Forum: Q4: Citizen Oversight of Law Enforcement?

Corrected version:

4. What are your thoughts and ideas about citizen participation in overseeing law enforcement activities? (citizen review board)

Sebastopol is fortunate to not have the severity of problems that some of our neighboring cities have. Even so, I have been strongly encouraging a Citizen's Review Board; similar to the one San Francisco has. I have no faith in police departments to honestly review complaints against themselves, having experienced that first hand.

This review board may save the City money by resolving some conflicts without lawsuits. This may also help generate more revenue for local businesses, by improving the impression some have regarding law enforcement here.
    It's important everyone is comfortable spending time and money in Sebastopol.

It might also help increase the public's safety, by building a better sense of trust with the Police Department; which may help with solving and preventing crimes, and help prepare for assistance during emergencies.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

3. Gratitude expressed by: