Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Moon

Using Search function

I'm trying to find the piece i posted, which i titled "Non-human Animal Retrieval" or
    "Small-Animal Retrieval," to be a reference for anyone searching for a dog, cat, et al.
    When i type in the title and click Search, i get a message that--among other, less likely
    possibilities--one of the words is too long. However, i get the same message when i
    take out the hyphen. I really thought my post would be a life-saving resource, and i need
    to know how to tell people to find it when i reply to a small-animal search post.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Using Search function

I think the post you are looking for is here:

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...trieval&p=5860

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post
    I'm trying to find the piece i posted, which i titled "Non-human Animal Retrieval" or
    "Small-Animal Retrieval," to be a reference for anyone searching for a dog, cat, et al.
    When i type in the title and click Search, i get a message that--among other, less likely
    possibilities--one of the words is too long. However, i get the same message when i
    take out the hyphen. I really thought my post would be a life-saving resource, and i need
    to know how to tell people to find it when i reply to a small-animal search post.

3. TopTop #3
    CSummer

I have also found the Search function to be rather non-functional. Perhaps you can explain for Moon, me and others how to use it. (Or, shall I just use Google when I want to search the site?)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I think the post you are looking for is here:

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...trieval&p=5860

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

This search function is less than ideal but is generally sufficient.

You can generally type in what you are looking for into the search box above and hit enter. If you are search for multiple words it can help if you enter a + between the words. The search is started by hitting enter or clicking on the first magnifier glass.

If you are not getting the results you are seeking, you can try clicking on the the second magnifier glass for an advanced search:

I've highlighted some key options above including to:
    • search the full post or just titles
    • specifying the posting user name (with the option that it is exact or that it just matches the first part of the username)
    • whether to search only threads started by that user (so you could limit it to threads that you started, for instance) or include all posts by that user
    • limit it by the number of replies and posting date
    • show the results by thread (so that it will bring up the threads where at least one of the posts match your search) or each post that matches.

If you are still not finding what you want, you can try google. You can restrict the google search to WaccoBB.net by including: site:waccobb.net in your search.

I hope this helps.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CSummer: View Post
    I have also found the Search function to be rather non-functional. Perhaps you can explain for Moon, me and others how to use it. (Or, shall I just use Google when I want to search the site?)

6. Gratitude expressed by: