Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    gbryan

Wireless Internet

Does anyone have recommendations for wireless internet? I've tried satellite(wild blue), cellular (Sprint) and they are hugely inferior to Comcast or DSL. Appreciate any feedback!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Wireless Internet

There's some info on this thread.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gbryan: View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations for wireless internet? I've tried satellite(wild blue), cellular (Sprint) and they are hugely inferior to Comcast or DSL. Appreciate any feedback!

3. TopTop #3
    Califoon

Any signal going thru the air will have much less bandwidth than a cable/hardwired signal. Think of it as different size hoses. If a Comcast cable is a fire hose, then cellular is more like a garden hose and takes longer to deliver the same gallon of water. Having said that and depending on where you live, you might try Sonic.net or their microwave partner, CDS? not sure about that name, I don't think it's CVS Microwave is kind of like satellite in terms of throughput or overall speed. If Sonic fusion is available to your location it's a great deal and very fast.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gbryan: View Post

4. TopTop #4
    redheifer

Wildblue has a new satellite. The upload is still slow, but we're getting better than 15 mbps download for our 50 bucks/month.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #5
    tammatha

U-Verse (AT&T) has been great! If you bundle you can get a pretty good rate. Good Luck! Tammatha

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    There's some info on this thread.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #6
    rekarp

The CDS wireless internet was formerly pogowave. It is tremendously better than satellite because it does not have the delay where you have to wait for every upload and download to start. It's more like DSL in that sense. For West County people who can't get DSL or cable, it is a godsend.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Califoon: View Post
    Any signal going thru the air will have much less bandwidth than a cable/hardwired signal. Think of it as different size hoses. If a Comcast cable is a fire hose, then cellular is more like a garden hose and takes longer to deliver the same gallon of water. Having said that and depending on where you live, you might try Sonic.net or their microwave partner, CDS? not sure about that name, I don't think it's CVS Microwave is kind of like satellite in terms of throughput or overall speed. If Sonic fusion is available to your location it's a great deal and very fast.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #7
    sbridge

I tried to get high speed internet recently from Sonic as I am a long time user of Sonic but they told me other than dialup, they do not have any available services in my West County area.

11. TopTop #8
    tammatha

Yes, I too had Sonic for 15+ years and had to switch to Uverse for the same reason, no high speed.

12. TopTop #9
    Kate Fenton

You can keep sonic email for just a few dollars a month and get wildblue satellite broadband, about all that's available in West County and better than hughes.net. I was on sonic's broadband waiting list for a long time but it wasn't moving. Now I still have the great tech support!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sbridge: View Post
    I tried to get high speed internet recently from Sonic as I am a long time user of Sonic but they told me other than dialup, they do not have any available services in my West County area.

13. Gratitude expressed by: