Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Glia

How online tracking works (video from Consumer Watchdog)

We've put a lot of effort into creating a "Do Not Track" privacy right to protect us when we go online. We're getting close. I wanted to share with you this short video by a technologist that shows why we need a simple way to stop our data from being sucked up when we surf the web.

The video shows everything Google can track when we use its services, including the Chrome browser. The technologist started with Google's own video ad, "Chrome: Coffee" but his version "Google Radar: Coffee" reveals everything the Internet giant can use for building a digital dossiers about you.

Privacy is on the move. Microsoft has just announced it will ship the next version of its popular browser Internet Explorer (IE 10) with "Do Not Track" turned on by default. Our team is working hard with a global Internet standards setting group to make sure users' "Do Not Track" signals are respected when they are sent. The Federal Trade Commission has called for "Do Not Track" to be implemented - with Chair Jon Leibowitz expecting near universal compliance by the end of the year and he has vowed to support legislation requiring compliance if industry fails to meet that goal. We'll keep you informed as news breaks.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Karl Frederick

Re: How online tracking works (video from Consumer Watchdog)

I currently use the free version of "Do Not Track Plus." Seems to work well to prevent websites from adding unwanted tracking cookies. Download it for free from https://abine.com/dntdetail.php

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    We've put a lot of effort into creating a "Do Not Track" privacy right to protect us when we go online. .

4. TopTop #3
    alanora

Re: How online tracking works (video from Consumer Watchdog)

I just downloaded DNT. Do you know if I have to do it for each browser used or once is sufficient? Thanks, Mindy Elias

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karl Frederick: View Post
    I currently use the free version of "Do Not Track Plus." Seems to work well to prevent websites from adding unwanted tracking cookies. Download it for free from https://abine.com/dntdetail.php