10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Efren Carrillo

4 40.00%
  • Ernie Carpenter

5 50.00%
  • Veronica Jacobi

1 10.00%

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Election Guide: County Supervisor - District 5 - Carrillo, Carpenter, Jacobi

WaccoBB Voter Guide
    Sonoma County Supervisor - District 5

I'm supporting Ernie, but I am less against Efren than some are on this board. Again, his Dutra vote was the deal breaker for me. I also think he should speak openly about Preservation Ranch.

Who do you support and why?

Let's leave this thread free of back and forth discussion. Please only post once to it. I invite you express your reasons for you decision (or undecidedness). You may also counter other posters arguments in a respectful fashion.

There's also a poll attached to this thread. If you are seeing this in the digest, click on the website link on the bottom of this post to goto this post on the website where you will see the poll. Note that your username will also be displayed in the poll.

There have already been several threads on this important race, inlcuding:

Efren Carrillo--Friend of the 1%?

Candidate's websites:
    From: https://www.smartvoter.org/2012/06/05/ca/sn/race/4050/

Candidates (Vote for 1)
    Click on highlighted name for additional information supplied by candidate. Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for voters.

Order is random and changes daily.
    Veronica Jacobi
    • Occupation: Small Business Owner, Professional Mechanical Engineer
    • B.S. Mechanical Engineering UCLA
    • Professional Mechanical Engineer
    • Santa Rosa Councilwoman 2006 - 2010
    • Upstream Swimmer Award SCCA
    • Concerned Citizens for Santa Rosa Awardee
    • please see https://www.VeronicaJacobi.com for much more
    Priorities:
    • Local Jobs and a Resilient Economy
    • Maintaining our roads and infrastructure efficiently and cost effectively.
    • Climate Security, Resiliency and Adaptation for our children, grandchildren and ourselves.
    Ernest L. Carpenter
    Efren Carrillo
    • Redwood Credit Union credit counselor
    • Staff to State Asemblyman Joe Nation
    • U.C. Berkeley - Environmental Economics and Policy
    • Santa Rosa High School
    Priorities:
    • Job creation and economic opportunity
    • Environmental protection and green jobs
    • Safe streets, schools and neighborhoods
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Imagery

Re: Election Guide: County Supervisor - District 5 - Carrillo, Carpenter, Jacobi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

WaccoBB Voter Guide
    Sonoma County Supervisor - District 5

I'm supporting Ernie, but I am less against Efren than some are on this board. Again, his Dutra vote was the deal breaker for me. I also think he should speak openly about Preservation Ranch.

Who do you support and why?
    Efren Carrillo
    • Priorities:
    • Job creation and economic opportunity
    • Environmental protection and green jobs
    • Safe streets, schools and neighborhoods
    Unfortunately, there are too many inaccuracies in efren's "priorities" to get my vote.

I'm voting for someone who's already been proven with a 16 year track record...not somebody who will glad-hand and lie to my face about listening to the needs of the people who live here.

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #3
    wildflower

What's At Stake in the Supe's Race?

I’d like to remind voters that an election is NOT a popularity contest or a game to be won. Someone may be young, socially adept, charming and truly kind but that does not automatically make him the best candidate for the position. You have to look beneath the surface for the truth.

I like to look at actual actions taken by the candidate for the common good and then make my choice.

I find Efren Carillo’s environmental voting record to be disturbing. He has not kept his word to MANY of us as far as so many things he said he was going to do.

For instance, he said something like…”No more gravel mining in the Russian River period,” then he voted to increase Syar’s gravel mining contract from 5 to 15 years! He told many of us personally that he would not vote for the Dutra asphalt plant on the Petaluma River. We all know the outcome of that one!

As far as town hall meetings/community visioning etc, what good are they if the person with the vote negates the agreed upon project when it comes time to vote? I’m referring to the Sebastopol Rd project that the community worked so hard on. Mr Carillo also promised to work on changing the laws regarding the impound of the vehicles of unlicensed drivers when speaking at a rally of the local UFW. Did he follow through? No.

He voted for a 45’ tall winery and vineyards to be built along the scenic corridor of Hwy 116 in a residential neighborhood, against the ardent pleas and protests of the community and neighbors.

We have lost more land to vineyards, including along the coast. General plan amendments are granted regularly to accommodate developers.

If you care about the children (and their future), then wouldn’t you work a lot harder to preserve the natural resources of Sonoma County? Our children and grandchildren need clean air and water, scenic vistas and wholesome places to recreate, not more vineyards, traffic, greenhouse gases, pollution and industrial plants. I fear that our county is going to be another Contra Costa County very soon unless this dangerous trend is STOPPED.

If you care about the elders, then PLEASE respect all the work they have done on the General Plan to guide us through this difficult growth process. Many elders with foresight and a vision for the future worked very hard to create a blueprint for development so that Sonoma County would remain the wonderful place to live that it once was! So respect your elders by not granting amendments to accommodate development. If an amendment is necessary, then the project is probably not appropriate. The current business model, based on endless growth is to the informed person, highly unsustainable! We need to develop new, perhaps creative ways to maintain a viable economy other than “development” and new construction/destruction. Otherwise, what will remain?

I am very alarmed, to say the least, at the trend of the decisions of this current board of supervisors. This can only have tragic results.

So I say….Respect Your Elders. Love the Children. Care for the Earth. Not just with words, but with your actions.

This is why I’m NOT voting for Efren Carillo, even though I like him.

I’m voting for Ernie Carpenter, because I know he is not running for his own personal ambitions, but to be of service to the citizens of Sonoma County.

5. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

6. TopTop #4
    scamperwillow

Re: What's At Stake in the Supe's Race?

Very good points and I am soooo sorry Ernie didn't make it to the runoff....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower: View Post
    I’d like to remind voters that an election is NOT a popularity contest or a game to be won. Someone may be young, socially adept, charming and truly kind but that does not automatically make him the best candidate for the position. You have to look beneath the surface for the truth.

I like to look at actual actions taken by the candidate for the common good and then make my choice.

I find Efren Carillo’s environmental voting record to be disturbing. He has not kept his word to MANY of us as far as so many things he said he was going to do.

For instance, he said something like…”No more gravel mining in the Russian River period,” then he voted to increase Syar’s gravel mining contract from 5 to 15 years! He told many of us personally that he would not vote for the Dutra asphalt plant on the Petaluma River. We all know the outcome of that one!

As far as town hall meetings/community visioning etc, what good are they if the person with the vote negates the agreed upon project when it comes time to vote? I’m referring to the Sebastopol Rd project that the community worked so hard on. Mr Carillo also promised to work on changing the laws regarding the impound of the vehicles of unlicensed drivers when speaking at a rally of the local UFW. Did he follow through? No.

He voted for a 45’ tall winery and vineyards to be built along the scenic corridor of Hwy 116 in a residential neighborhood, against the ardent pleas and protests of the community and neighbors.

We have lost more land to vineyards, including along the coast. General plan amendments are granted regularly to accommodate developers.

If you care about the children (and their future), then wouldn’t you work a lot harder to preserve the natural resources of Sonoma County? Our children and grandchildren need clean air and water, scenic vistas and wholesome places to recreate, not more vineyards, traffic, greenhouse gases, pollution and industrial plants. I fear that our county is going to be another Contra Costa County very soon unless this dangerous trend is STOPPED.

If you care about the elders, then PLEASE respect all the work they have done on the General Plan to guide us through this difficult growth process. Many elders with foresight and a vision for the future worked very hard to create a blueprint for development so that Sonoma County would remain the wonderful place to live that it once was! So respect your elders by not granting amendments to accommodate development. If an amendment is necessary, then the project is probably not appropriate. The current business model, based on endless growth is to the informed person, highly unsustainable! We need to develop new, perhaps creative ways to maintain a viable economy other than “development” and new construction/destruction. Otherwise, what will remain?

I am very alarmed, to say the least, at the trend of the decisions of this current board of supervisors. This can only have tragic results.

So I say….Respect Your Elders. Love the Children. Care for the Earth. Not just with words, but with your actions.

This is why I’m NOT voting for Efren Carillo, even though I like him.

I’m voting for Ernie Carpenter, because I know he is not running for his own personal ambitions, but to be of service to the citizens of Sonoma County.

7. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

8. TopTop #5

Let's not waste time being sorry; let's get moving on a recall. Enough voters wanted someone else enough to justify this. Let's work for this with the solution in mind of Ernie for Supervisor with Veronica supporting him as his Staff member for the first term; then they can switch off in the second.

Many folks have had the recall idea in mind and in conversation.

We are too creative to let the 1% here outspend our best interest being served.

Let's unite and get this going ASAP.

Who's with me?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Very good points and I am soooo sorry Ernie didn't make it to the runoff....

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peace Voyager: View Post

Who's with me?
    Not me. Efren won. Get over it.

11. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

12. TopTop #7

Colleen, like it or not, he got 59% of the vote. By definition not enough people wanted someone else, or someone else would have been elected, or at least there would have been a runoff. You want to start a recall movement the day after an election that was not even close? We live as it is in a perpetual election cycle. When to we get to forget the electioneering and concentrate on the problems of actual governing? What happened to the idea of quiet reflection and reasoned discussion? Surely these must be possible at least on a local level. We do not need to emulate Washington, or even state politics at the county level. Even if they (whoever "they" are) started it (whatever "it" is at any given time), it is up to each of us to resist the urge to join in. Someone has to act like a grownup.

Accept that we lost this one and take heart from the realisation that few politicians are as bad as their enemies say they are or as good as their supporters say they are. Now it is time get down to the process of government; dealing with the individual issues as they come up. Lots of opportunity there for activism. He may not be the one you would have liked, but Carillo is our elected representative on the Board of Supervisors, and his job is to govern (which after all is what this is all about, right?) I for one do not want him to be having to spend his time fighting a recall. That would be a colossal waste of time, energy and resources on both sides. Count me out.

Patrick Brinton

Let's not waste time being sorry; let's get moving on a recall. Enough voters wanted someone else enough to justify this. Let's work for this with the solution in mind of Ernie for Supervisor with Veronica supporting him as his Staff member for the first term; then they can switch off in the second.

Who's with me?

13. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

14. TopTop #8
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by peace voyager: View Post
    let's not waste time being sorry; let's get moving on a recall. Enough voters wanted someone else enough to justify this. Let's work for this with the solution in mind of ernie for supervisor with veronica supporting him as his staff member for the first term; then they can switch off in the second.

Let's unite and get this going asap.

Who's with me?
    lol

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    rekarp

Wow. You have got to be kidding.

Effren is a very popular supervisor, as evidenced by his enormous victory this week. He has done an excellent job communicating with the people of the district, attending meetings and events, listening to people's concerns, doing more than most polititions.

What needs to be learned from this (and Wisconsin) is that a grassroots movement bringing forth progressive ideas is at a disadvantage in the electoral system. Continued grassroots efforts in favor of the issues people care about is the way to bring about change.

Ron

Who's with me?

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #10
    Praksys

Your rhetoric is making the 99%/1%% theme hollow and meaningless. I would like to suggest that you focus on your own talents and capacities. Enhance them and find ways to serve your fellow human beings where it is possible to be recognized and monetarily compensated for it.

Who's with me?
    Last edited by Barry; 06-10-2012 at 02:55 PM.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #11
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    Wow. You have got to be kidding....
    What needs to be learned from this (and Wisconsin) is that a grassroots movement bringing forth progressive ideas is at a disadvantage in the electoral system. Continued grassroots efforts in favor of the issues people care about is the way to bring about change.

Ron
    that's partly true - continuing grass-roots efforts is great. But what needs to be learned is that sometimes "progressive ideas" aren't what a majority necessarily shares. "The issues people care about" often are different than one might wish. So the grassroots efforts are exactly what's needed if such efforts aim at educating people who need education - and, though this may be a shock to some, not all who disagree with you do so out of ignorance or manipulation by the 1%. Not all of them will respond to your efforts positively. Sometimes -that's- why your side doesn't prevail in an election.

And so why, exactly, except for the purity of your motives, is this effort at overturning elections so different than that of the Koch's??

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #12
    tommy

IMO, one of the lessons from the unsuccessful recall of Walker in Wisconsin, was to be wise when choosing battles. Walker's second time opponent was not a strong candidate. Plus, there was obvious support for Walker's controls on public service unions. I have a friend who's a fireman in Marin who makes over $100k/yr - for mostly sitting around a firehouse & telling jokes. Walker's unsuccessful recall has emboldened other states to control unions, which is the opposite of what his recall opponents wanted.

Likewise here, Carrillo's opponents were not strong. We just had an election a week ago, where Carrillo won by a strong majority. I think it's crazy & highly self centered to be talking about a recall when the ballots have barely been counted.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    that's partly true - continuing grass-roots efforts is great. But what needs to be learned is that sometimes "progressive ideas" aren't what a majority necessarily shares. "The issues people care about" often are different than one might wish. So the grassroots efforts are exactly what's needed if such efforts aim at educating people who need education - and, though this may be a shock to some, not all who disagree with you do so out of ignorance or manipulation by the 1%. Not all of them will respond to your efforts positively. Sometimes -that's- why your side doesn't prevail in an election.

And so why, exactly, except for the purity of your motives, is this effort at overturning elections so different than that of the Koch's??

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #13

This is not about being a sore loser. I will not just "get over it", just like I can not "get over" being raped. These criminals' activities led to the death of my child. This criminal is still free to harm others; I can't just be ok with that. I can't just "get over" the misconduct which allows this. More people are dead and harmed because of the criminals running our courts and law enforcement. The BOS tops this list.

Although I am far from alone on this; most of you are too blind, or unaware, to see the organized crime going on in this county. Efren Carillo's and Susan Upchurch's fingerprints are all over it.

Nearly all levels of media are, Repeaters, not Reporters. This makes getting the truth out very challenging.

What will it take to get you to see this truth? Having your well go dry because the wine grape industry has sucked it all up and exported it away? Losing even more of the scenic parts of our corridors? Losing the endangered species and forests to Wall Street's Chainsaw Winemakers?

As long as I can draw another breath; I'll be working to fight the crime I've experienced. Please, offer your support, or get out of the way. Just don't whine when you no longer recognize the Redwood Empire; or the cops won't investigate, and DA won't persecute the rapist who stole your loved one's well being.

Do you really think we'll ever have any money to fix the roads, when we go further and further into massive debt, while our Democratic Leaders calling for more strike-first foreign policy missions?

The elected officials will never find their backbone if you keep giving them your vote and financial support without question, or conditions.

The pensions are just the tip of the iceberg; and our ship hit a big one a decade ago; we're still taking on water while ya'll are busy rearranging the deck chairs.

Colleen Fernald

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    IMO, one of the lessons from the unsuccessful recall of Walker in Wisconsin, was to be wise when choosing battles. Walker's second time opponent was not a strong candidate. Plus, there was obvious support for Walker's controls on public service unions. I have a friend who's a fireman in Marin who makes over $100k/yr - for mostly sitting around a firehouse & telling jokes. Walker's unsuccessful recall has emboldened other states to control unions, which is the opposite of what his recall opponents wanted.

Likewise here, Carrillo's opponents were not strong. We just had an election a week ago, where Carrillo won by a strong majority. I think it's crazy & highly self centered to be talking about a recall when the ballots have barely been counted.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #14

Efren's apponates are indeed strong. Efren is not strong enough to fight against the corruption here, he profits from it.

All the oppents lacked was a longer time to campaign, since they both filed late; and the money to outspend the guy who takes it from the deep pockets of those who are ruining our quality of life.

At least 41.1% of us said no to more faux green, chainsaw wine representatives. I wonder how many feel that way, but did not bother to vote? I wonder how many would not have voted for him, if they knew the full truth about him; but just bought into the propaganda, or voted for him, just because of his youth and lip service to the issues?

Lot's of folks have told me how much of a disservice Efren has done to them; but they are afraid of the repercussions if they go public with it. This is sad.

Every one of you who voted for Feinstein, have enabled even more unconstitutional war. This is beyond sad - it's treason. I may not agree with many of the guiding principles of Republicans; but at least they don't pretend to honor their party's values the way most Democrats do; and then vote against them

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post

27. TopTop #15
    Imagery

This is not about being a sore loser. I will not just "get over it", just like I can not "get over" being raped. These criminals' activities led to the death of my child. This criminal is still free to harm others; I can't just be ok with that. I can't just "get over" the misconduct which allows this. More people are dead and harmed because of the criminals running our courts and law enforcement. The BOS tops this list.

Colleen Fernald
    With all due respect, what would you consider "justice" enough to be at peace? While what happened to you is horrible, making the entire focus of your life about getting "justice" just gives your assailant that much more power to control your life. Would "justice" be served if someone shot him to death? Would that be enough to get you to lay this to rest?

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #16

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    With all due respect, what would you consider "justice" enough to be at peace? While what happened to you is horrible, making the entire focus of your life about getting "justice" just gives your assailant that much more power to control your life. Would "justice" be served if someone shot him to death? Would that be enough to get you to lay this to rest?

Looks like Barry moved my response to Colleen's Blog on WaccoReader without informing this thread.

Please do take a look; I cover many important bases: justifying a recall, recruitment for replacing bad Judges in the next General Election; and this critical question of what justice looks like; how to get it, along with peace....

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...461#post153461

C

30. Gratitude expressed by: