Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

View Poll Results: Who do you support for US Rep District 2?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Norman Soloman

6 75.00%
  • Jared Huffman

2 25.00%
  • Stacey Lawson

0 0%
  • Tiffany Renée

0 0%
  • Susan L. Adams

0 0%
  • Larry Fritzlan

0 0%
  • John Lewallen

0 0%
  • Brooke Clarke

0 0%
  • Mike Halliwell

0 0%
  • Andy Caffrey

0 0%
  • William L. Courtney

0 0%
  • Daniel W. Roberts

0 0%
  • Undecided

0 0%

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Election Guide: US Rep District 2: Solomon, Huffman, Lawson, Adams, etc

WaccoBB Voter Guide
    US Rep District 2

Here are the candidates for our Representative to Washington. Who do you support and why?

I support Norman Soloman! His rock solid opposition to perpetual war, support for a Wall Street transaction tax and legalization of marijuana are key reasons. Not only will represent our interests but he'll also help nudge the rest of the Democratic Party further to the left.

How about you?

Let's leave this thread free of back and forth discussion. Please only post once to it. I invite you express your reasons for you decision (or undecidedness). You may also counter other posters arguments in a respectful fashion.

There's also a poll attached to this thread. If you are seeing this in the digest, click on the website link on the bottom of this post to goto this post on the website where you will see the poll. Note that your username will also be displayed in the poll.

From: https://www.smartvoter.org/2012/06/0.../race/usrep02/

Daniel W. Roberts
    • Party: Republican
    • [email protected]
    • Phone:415-383-2235; Fax:415-296-8873 (FAX)
    Larry Fritzlan
    • Party: Democratic
    • Director, Larry Fritzlan Recovery Services
    • Addictionologist, Family Therapist
    • MA, Counseling Psychology, from CIIS
    • Over 30 years as a business owner
    • Author: Intervention on America
    • Author: We Are the 99% and We Are Running For Office
    • [email protected]
    Priorities:
    • Get the Money Out of Politics
    • Save the Environment
    • Protect our Children and End the War on Drugs
    Tiffany Renée
    • Director, Sonoma County Transportation Authority (SCTA) & Regional Climate Protection Authority (RCPA)
    • Director, Golden Gate Bridge, Highway & Transportation District
    • Alternate Director, Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG)
    • Co-Founder, Petaluma Grange No. 851
    • M.A., Humanities: Philosophy & Religion (Integral Ecology), California Institute of Integral Studies
    • B.A., Women's Studies, Mills College
    • [email protected]
    Priorities:
    • Equity: Reinstate Glass-Steagall; Prosecute the "fraudclosure" crisis; End corporate personhood; Medicare for all; Protect a woman's right to choose
    • Economy & Environment: Investing in infrastructure projects and a lasting energy policy, creating the jobs of the future
    • Education: Student Loan Finance Reform; Greater investment in STEM education; Pass the national DREAM Act
    Stacey Lawson
    • Co-founder and teacher at the Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology at UC Berkeley
    • Harvard Business School Graduate
    • University of Washington Bachelors of Science in Chemical Engineering
    • [email protected]
    Priorities:
    • Creating Jobs to Restore the American Middle Class
    • Investing in Education
    • Alternative Energy, Sustainability & The Environment
    Jared Huffman
    Priorities:
    • Job creation and economic growth
    • Healthcare reform
    • Education
    Norman Solomon
    • Co-chair of the Commission on a Green New Deal
    • Healthcare Not Warfare national campaign co-chair, along with Congressman John Conyers and Donna Smith of the California Nurses Association
    • Author of a dozen books, including "War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death," required reading in many college courses
    • Taught seminars and classes at numerous colleges, including Sonoma State University and Dominican University
    • Former member of the national advisory board for Progressive Democrats of America
    • Elected as an Obama delegate from Sonoma and Marin counties to the 2008 Democratic National Convention
    • [email protected]
    Priorities:
    • Protecting Social Security and Medicare against all threats
    • Fighting back against large corporations' domination of our economy and democratic process, while implementing a large transaction tax on Wall Street
    • Major reductions in military spending, in order to end perpetual war and reinvest money here at home
    Susan L. Adams
    • RN, PhD in nursing
    • 33 years women's health nurse practititioner
    • Adjunct professor in Dominican University's Graduate Nursing Program
    • 3 term Marin County Supervisor
    • Mom
    • [email protected]
    Priorities:
    • Medicare for All
    • Sustainable jobs for the North Coast
    • Clean and Renewable energy options
    John Lewallen
    • Mendocino Sea Vegetable Co. co-owner
    • Ocean Protection Coalition Steering Committee
    • Veterans for Peace Member
    • B.A. Political Science, Whitman College
    • Stanford Law, one year in good standing
    • Husband, father of three; age 69
    • [email protected]
    Priorities:
    • Peace Conversion of Economy and Society
    • Environmental Protection and Restoration
    • Single Payer Health Care for All
    Brooke Clarke
    • B.S.E.E. & M.S.E.E. San Jose State
    • Engineer, Member of Senior Technical Staff
    • Marketing Manger, General Manager
    • Small Business Owner
    • [email protected]
    Priorities:
    • Democrats and Republicans agree on war and the economy - Don't vote for them
    • We Can Not Move Forward without Recending Bad Laws
    • Capitalism has failed and needs to be replaced with Nashism
    Mike Halliwell
    • Party: Republican
    • Education: UCLA, B.A. 1962, M.A. 1965, Ph.D. 1974
    • College Professor in California State University System 1968-2004
    • Republican State Senate nominee 1970
    • Breast Cancer Research and Therapy Evaluation 1991 to present
    • Republican Congressional nominee 2008
    • President of Books for Peace 501(c)(3) Charity 2000 to present
    • [email protected]
    Priorities:
    • Health Care Reform to improve access & breast cancer survival
    • Economic Recovery through Tax Limits & Deficit Reduction
    • Defense of Marriage and Family Stability (Traditional Values)
    Andy Caffrey
    • [email protected]
    • Phone:707-923-2114
    William L. Courtney
    • Phone:707-962-1600; Fax:707-676-9192 (FAX)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Election Guide: US Rep District 2: Solomon, Huffman, Lawson, Adams, etc

Well?? Anybody care to share how you are going to vote and perhaps why? This is a really important race!

Do you support Norman Soloman, Jared Huffman, or Stacey Lawson, or one of the other candidates???

You can can just click your choice on the poll on this thread on the website, or better yet write a short note here and let us know why!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

WaccoBB Voter Guide
    US Rep District 2

Here are the candidates for our Representative to Washington. Who do you support and why?

I support Norman Soloman! His rock solid opposition to perpetual war, support for a Wall Street transaction tax and legalization of marijuana are key reasons. Not only will represent our interests but he'll also help nudge the rest of the Democratic Party further to the left.

How about you?

Let's leave this thread free of back and forth discussion. Please only post once to it. I invite you express your reasons for you decision (or undecidedness). You may also counter other posters arguments in a respectful fashion.

There's also a poll attached to this thread. If you are seeing this in the digest, click on the website link on the bottom of this post to goto this post on the website where you will see the poll. Note that your username will also be displayed in the poll.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-31-2012 at 11:40 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    soulange

the women's political caucus-sonoma has endorsed susan adams for congress. susan has a record of feminist positions since her first election. she has shown that she can get results and can work for the good of the community.

Well?? Anybody care to share how you are going to vote and perhaps why? This is a really important race!

Do you support Norman Soloman, Jared Huffman, or Stacey Lawson, or one of the other candidates???

You can can just click your choice on the poll on this thread on the website, or better yet write a short note here and let us know why!

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Investigative Reporter

I urge you to vote for Norman Solomon and here is why: Norman is a champion of the people, not the corporations who now own most members of government through their campaign contributions. The result of 40 years of class warfare by some billionaires and their corporations has resulted in the largest redistribution of wealth upward in history, with the lowest effective tax rate on American corporations and billionaires ever. Meanwhile, schools, libraries and higher education are being slashed to the bone across the country.

Candidate Stacey Lawson sounds alarmingly like Mitt Romney when she says that because she ran a business she knows how to create jobs. Jared Huffman says his experience will allow him to "reach across the aisle" and pass bipartisan legislation, as though that approach has succeeded for President Obama. Neither mentions taxation or the military budget, the areas where money can be found to create living wage jobs.

Only Norman Solomon speaks out against the unprecedented power of corporations, about the need for a peacetime economy and green new deal, about taxing Wall Street. That's why I am going to cast my vote for a champion of the people, and encourage you to do the same.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    theindependenteye

>>>I urge you to vote for Norman Solomon and here is why: Norman is a champion of the people...
    Stacey Lawson sounds alarmingly like Mitt Romney when she says that because she ran a business she knows how to create jobs. Jared Huffman says his experience will allow him to "reach across the aisle" and pass bipartisan legislation...

I'm undecided, so here's the central question in my mind I'd like to see addressed: Huffman has a legislative record that looks pretty solid to me as a progressive, though if you have any kind of track record there's unquestionably going to be some votes you could be taken to task for. Solomon is indeed a strong and effective advocate, and his positions are unassailable (IMHO) but with no legislative (or organizational?) experience, as far as I know.

So for me it boils down to a question of who is going to be the more effective POLITICIAN in this political office, that is, actually influence legislation? I'd be pleased to vote for Solomon if I could resolve that issue in my mind.

Peace & joy—
    Conrad

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    "Mad" Miles

This is something I wrote a week ago in response to a local Democratic Party Apparatchik Political Consultant who endorsed Huffman:

Huffman, Beah.

Plastic and mainstream liberal. And two-faced. Here's why.

When correctional education and rehabilitation cuts were in the pipe in 2009, he made the "Happy Talk" about programming in prison, while also touting the savings to be had from shutting down San Quentin and selling the real estate to make the state big bucks. Knowing full well that there was no chance at all that it would ever happen.

The studies show, year in, year out, it would cost more money to relocate it, the trial lawyers would never allow it. (They don't like long commutes to the boonies.) The inmates would suffer since given the local volunteer base, it's not called the "Program Prison" for nothing.

He was pandering to his rich, elite, conservative posing as Liberal Marin NIMBY base. Knowing full well that he was prevaricating, at best. That shows me his character.

He did nothing substantial to oppose a 50% cut in Correctional Education & Rehabilitation, Staff and Programs statewide in early 2010, for a savings of 1% (That's ONE PERCENT) in the cost of Corrections/CDCR.

Correctional Educators who lived in his District met with him. He was not forthcoming, noncommittal and did nothing to oppose those cuts or seek alternatives to them.

A year later, January 2011, Mathew Cate, Director of CDCR told a reporter, "We cut too close to the bone. There is no education happening in prison."

Bear in mind, 95% of inmates will parole and come to a neighborhood near you, if not your own. Huffman knew all of this, full well.

His stand against the new Death Chamber at San Quentin was good. On that I have no problem, and some gratitude.

I know all about his record of accomplishments and supporters. He's clean on the Environment and Labor issues, within the Dominant Consensus Paradigm. But he's clearly demonstrated that he's an opportunist and poseur.

Norman Solomon, even though he keeps using Green Party iconography and it irritates me, will continue Lynn Woolsey's legacy.

Voting for my Representative, in the last fourteen years, who will almost universally vote the way I want them to, and is forthcoming on international human rights matters with almost no question (East Timor, Burma) has been a unique and amazing pleasure for this Radical Egalitarian and Social Justice advocate.

Neither in Orange County, CA (10 Years) or Chicago (13 Years) have I ever had that. I don't want to lose it, because of realpolitik calculations of pragmatism, that essentially end up as business as usual.

There's too much of that. We have the chance of not being like the rest of the ultra-Blue regions. We need far more Woolsey's, not fewer.

Vote for Norman Solomon, veteran anti-nuclear weapons and power activist, Fairness and Accuracy In Media founder, Journalist, Writer, Advocate of Social Justice for FAR LONGER and DEEPER than any of his opponents.

Send a Citizen Activist to the House. Not a slick hack career politician who is connected to the status quo!!!

Otherwise, you'll have to answer to Sean Penn. And you know how pissed he can get!

Mike Ferrell just endorsed Norman. If he loses, who knows? Mike might reverse his position on the Death Penalty!!

Pacific Sun, MIJ, all endorse Solomon.

As for Stacy Lawson... Neoliberal Job Exporter Please!?

If not voting for years doesn't disqualify her, her Woo Positive Thinking nonsense should.

Solomon going negative out of desperation? I found the hit piece on Huffman a little troubling. But welcome to the real world. The one about Lawson was right on.

(I'm recalling from only quick glances, then I recycle the mailer, while still out on my street. Social Movement organizing is the real deal and our only chance at a scintilla of hope. If I have campaign hit ad specifics wrong. Sue me.)

At least no one has accused anyone of pandering to "Illegals" (i.e. Undocumented Workers) or any of the other nonsense from the last local go around.

Rough ads from Norman, but accurate. Welcome to the big leagues.

This summer, the assault on the incumbent will be completely beyond bounds. Should prove abjectly interesting.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: