Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dixon

Safe, effective mold/mildew remover?

I've been getting some black mold or mildew on the slate tiles of my shower. Can someone recommend some not-terribly-toxic but effective stuff to scrub it away with, something that'll discourage its return?
    Thanks in advance for all suggestions!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Safe, effective mold/mildew remover?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    I've been getting some black mold or mildew on the slate tiles of my shower. Can someone recommend some not-terribly-toxic but effective stuff to scrub it away with, something that'll discourage its return?
    I like Moldzyme by EcoDiscoveries. Its an enzyme and I like it better than chlorox because it gets to the roots of the mold below the surface and that tends to end the problem, whereas with chlorox it tends to come back in three weeks because it does not eat the mold roots. It was recommended to me by a mold remediation expert and I've experimented with it with good success since 2004. Its non-toxic, biodegradable, and fragrance free, though I make a point of not breathing it in because it makes me cough.

I find it on Amazon and the best buy is 2 refill packets with their refillable bottle. Shelf life is 2 years.

Spray it on. Scrub it off. Then spray it on again and let it soak in to kill the roots until it dries.

Its also said to be effective for algae stains and moss on patios.

That plus good ventilation in your shower are my best recommendations.

3. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Gina Williams

Hi Dixon,

For fairly non-toxic remedies, you can try ~

~non chlorine bleach from Ecover
    ~scrubing it with baking soda and/or white vinegar
    ~hydrogen peroxide

I have used most of these on a concrete wall that gets moldy in my house in the winter, the sink and tub grout. I have to clean the wall a couple of times a year. The white vinegar works the best for me on the concrete. Baking soda on the sink takes out stains. The baking soda will even work on tea and coffee stains on mugs without scratching the finish.

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but grapefruit seed extract might also work and it kills all kinds of microbes.

Good luck!

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    wildflower

Dilute white vinegar and a scrub brush!

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5

Some mold can be very bad for your health. It can affect your mood, memory and respiratory system.

Borax is the only thing which kills the roots of mold. 20 Mule team is the brand sold near the laundry soap; add it to some soapy warm water, scrub, and let it dry well; rinse before you use your tub/shower. It won't hurt your skin, may even help with athlete's foot. Boric acid is the more concentrated form, available at some drug stores. Works for eye infections and it's good for getting rid of ants too.

Please don't use bleach, very toxic for you and our watershed.

Vinegar and baking soda is good for regular cleaning. For improving the vinegar smell, I add a few drops natural lavender bathroom cleaner to this, or a squeeze of lemon juice, or essential oils. Open the window and the odor is soon gone.

Making sure the bathroom is well ventilated is most important. I'll use a fan or heater to make sure all moisture has evaporated daily, just having the window open is sometimes not enough.

Best wishes,

Colleen Fernald

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6

I don't suggest diluting the vinegar.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower: View Post
    Dilute white vinegar and a scrub brush!

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    AJL

For mold, I use a relatively inexpensive mixture of vinegar + lemon juice + baking soda.
    I believe different products work best on different types of mold which is why results vary.
    Every 3-6 months depending on usage, maybe once a year, it is advisable to seal your grout with a grout sealer after it is clean and dry.
    I provide this service free on all tile jobs I install and will seal a typical shower stall if already clean and dry for $100. It is also part of a service I do replacing the caulk around the edge of bath tubs.
    Keeping the grout sealed and using a squeegee after you shower on the walls and ceiling will help prevent mold as well.
    Exhaust fans in bathrooms are important to have and use properly and Panasonic has some out now that work great, are super quiet, and adjustable.
    Mold will not come back if you can change the conditions that allow it to flourish.
    Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.
    A.J.
    861-0669
    Deep Green Consulting cslb#496779

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Bleach.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    peggykarp

Good suggestions. Going to try them on a musty drawer.

By the way, the active ingredient in Ecover, Seventh Generation and most other brands of non-chlorine bleach is hydrogen peroxide, at about the same concentration as what you buy in the drugstore. I once did a cost comparison and the drugstore stuff came out a little cheaper.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Gina Williams: View Post
    Hi Dixon,

For fairly non-toxic remedies, you can try ~

~non chlorine bleach from Ecover
    ~scrubing it with baking soda and/or white vinegar
    ~hydrogen peroxide

I have used most of these on a concrete wall that gets moldy in my house in the winter, the sink and tub grout. I have to clean the wall a couple of times a year. The white vinegar works the best for me on the concrete. Baking soda on the sink takes out stains. The baking soda will even work on tea and coffee stains on mugs without scratching the finish.

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but grapefruit seed extract might also work and it kills all kinds of microbes.

Good luck!