Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    typewriter

What cat food do you suggest?

I want to make sure my cat (~5.5 yrs old, indoor/outdoor) is receiving proper nurtition--your suggestions are appreciated.

Currently I feed him organic chicken Max Cat dry/kibble type food but I've heard this can lead to diabetes? I know he's getting other food sources because he was a stray and, in addition to hunting, he likes to "source" from neigbors. I want to make sure that his consistent food source is at least optimal and I don't mind spending a little extra $$.

Thanks!!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    busterboy

Re: What cat food do you suggest?

Our Buster Divine has been on a primarily raw food diet all his 11 years. Recently a vet could not believe that he is that old. See Anitra Frazier's The Natural Cat for the details. My base is ground turkey thigh, with some ground chicken liver and gizzards when I can get them. Basically trying to reconstruct some rodent that he might hunt down. When serving each day a small rodent size portion, add alfalfa sprouts or grated carrot (like the vegetable matter in a rodent's gut) and a spoonful of a vitamin/mineral mix (bonemeal, kelp powder, food yeast, lecithin, wheat bran.) Only thing missing are the fur or feathers! Once a week, squeeze capsules of Vitamin A/D and E. (I've stopped adding the recommended grain portion feeling that carnivores (and humans!) are better off with no or minimal grains.) Buster is a good eater, all the while maintaining his graceful, svelte figure. He demands an evening treat of a small handful of healthy dry cat food (no soy etc.) and occasionally, a couple small sections of chicken neck for that wonderful bone-crunching sensation. I prepare large batches of the meat mixture and divide, package and freeze the servings so I can go about three weeks before the next production. It may seem like a lot of work, but it really isn't. Buster is such a remarkable, entertaining, loving companion, he's well worth the effort. And then there's the related benefits of superb health and much fewer vet expenses. It's amazing that people feed their animals such processed crap. Then again, a lot of people eat poorly also. May all beings be free from suffering. May all beings be healed. May all beings be happy!

receiving proper nurtition--your suggestions are appreciated.

Currently I feed him organic chicken Max Cat dry/kibble type food but I've heard this can lead to diabetes? I know he's getting other food sources because he was a stray and, in addition to hunting, he likes to "source" from neigbors. I want to make sure that his consistent food source is at least optimal and I don't mind spending a little extra $$.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #3
    urlove

I feed my cats AvoDerm, Wellness and Organix. I won't buy any food with meat by-products. (I've heard they will sometimes even will throw cancerous material from a cow into the by-products.) Read the ingredients. Some supposedly "natural" cat foods have by-products in them. My cats are very healthy and do well with these brands. Good Luck.
    Mala

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post
    I want to make sure my cat (~5.5 yrs old, indoor/outdoor) is receiving proper nurtition--your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!!

5. TopTop #4
    Moon

According to a really brilliant veterinarian who specializes in housecats, the best ready-made food on the market is Wysong.

Thanks!!

6. TopTop #5

I, too, feed raw and I've helped 3 cats go from their junk food diet to the diet of super cats--seriously, they are like a different breed in comparison.

My first cat went from overweight couch potato to regaining her instinct and natural weight. When they get good nutrition the need to over eat (starving for nutrition) goes away. When she came into my life at age 9, she was FIV (like HIV) positive and had nearly died when I switched her to raw. She became a long term survivor of FIV and died 8 years later. I attribute that to my stopping vaccinating her and the raw diet.

I used to make my own raw food and it's not that hard, but I'm lazier lately and buy premade frozen Primal feline nuggets in many flavors at my local pet food store, Redhill Pets in San Anselmo, soon moving to 4th St. San Rafael near D. You get 4# for $25 including tax. Three pellets plus water equal a meal. I add other ingredients like 1/4 tsp. kelp powder, a spoonful of canned pumpkin, and 1/4 tsp. of psyllium for regularity.

My distinctions for cats are avoid all grains.

If you're on dry, get to wet canned to at least save their kidneys, or go for the ideal, raw.

Best canned foods I know of are Wellness and Natural Balance.

's cats

7. TopTop #6
    Gina Williams

I recently switched my cats to a raw diet from Feed This, Inc. They are located in Forestville and they deliver! I am now paying less than I was for the Evo 95% meat diet and the cats are more energetic, no longer have strong breath and the litter box odor is gone! My vet feed her cats raw too. This diet is closer to what they would naturally eat (much higher nutritional value), and does not have all the junk, carbs and additives most store bought brands have. The site for Feed This is also a great educational resource if you want to learn more about feeding raw and also includes a Basics section that includes Health Conditions, that can be improved/reversed through this diet. Good Luck!

https://feedthis.com/

Thanks!!

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #7
    urlove

Hi Gina,
    I tried raw food before, and when my cats did eat it one of them threw it up. Did you have to transition them to the raw diet? I know 2 of my 3 cats get "raw gophers" in my yard, but when they ate the raw food I got at Whole Foods they weren't interested or threw it up.
    Thanks for the info. Mala

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Gina Williams: View Post
    I recently switched my cats to a raw diet from Feed This, Inc. They are located in Forestville and they deliver! I am now paying less than I was for the Evo 95% meat diet and the cats are more energetic, no longer have strong breath and the litter box odor is gone! My vet feed her cats raw too. This diet is closer to what they would naturally eat (much higher nutritional value), and does not have all the junk, carbs and additives most store bought brands have. The site for Feed This is also a great educational resource if you want to learn more about feeding raw and also includes a Basics section that includes Health Conditions, that can be improved/reversed through this diet. Good Luck!

https://feedthis.com/

10. TopTop #8
    Moon

What type of meat were they getting raw? Cats can generally tolerate raw turkey, but raw beef is too much for their stomachs.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by urlove: View Post
    Hi Gina,
    I tried raw food before, and when my cats did eat it one of them threw it up. Did you have to transition them to the raw diet? I know 2 of my 3 cats get "raw gophers" in my yard, but when they ate the raw food I got at Whole Foods they weren't interested or threw it up.

11. TopTop #9
    urlove

I think it was chicken.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post
    What type of meat were they getting raw? Cats can generally tolerate raw turkey, but raw beef is too much for their stomachs.

12. TopTop #10
    Gina Williams

Hi Mala,

The vomiting can be a transition factor. If your pet has been on kibble, they may have an overproduction of bile, and there is also a natural regurgitation process that helps with digestion. Mixing a little canned pumpkin with the raw food can help. I did this with one of my cats and after a few days, all was fine. Also, feeding in smaller quantities at first helped. Feed This is really great at educating you about this and supporting you thru your pets transition.

Kind Regards, Gina

Hi Gina,

13. TopTop #11
    Gina Williams

Mala, also...one of my cats switched no problem. The other more finicky cat I transitioned by giving half and half old/new food and over several days decreasing the old and increasing the new. She went on a protest/hunger strike for a couple days but is now doing much better with the raw. The kibble can have ingredients such as sodium and carbs that are addictive to the cats. It can take some persistance on your part to make the change.

Hi Gina,