I recently posted that more volunteers will be needed for the 4 Habitat homes to be built in Sebastopol late this year and early next. Some questions were emailed to me, so I have more information.

Women Build is a volunteer group working with HfH. They are women involved in, or interested in construction. They will build 1 of the houses on Johnson Street. (Johnson Street houses will be built in 2007) For more information about this group, call Sylvia at the HfH office in Santa Rosa. 578-7707

If you would like to work now to "practice" for the Sebastopol houses, there are 2 houses being completed in Roseland now. Sylvia tells me that they need "team leaders" to supervise teams of about 5 unskilled volunteers. Team Leaders are directly supervised by the construction manager on site. This way if you have some experience, you will be shown what to do by the c.m., and then lead your team to finish the task.

We do have meetings in Sebastopol. Sam Leader is the coordinator and our next meeting will be posted on the web site: SonomaCountyHabitat.org. We meet about every 2 weeks. If you have any ideas for fund raising, or know contractors who could prepare cut sheets, that would be helpful.

Anyway, it's great Sebastopol will have 4 new houses for low/moderate income families. Hopefully the community can work toward developing more.

Kathleen Shaffer