Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Ice Queen

The Great Santa Rosa Farmer's Market Controversy

40 year old Original Santa Rosa Farmer's Market (Wed & Sat mornings) is in DIRE jeopardy. Sonoma County Parks has decided to give over the lease to a loosely organized small group who has no board and no history of running a large farmer's market. The hard work of farmer organizers has been usurped by backroom politics (at least one of the new group (Gleason Ranch) was temporarily suspended due to failure to abide vendor rules) This lease does not affect other Sonoma County Farmers Markets, only the one at the Santa Rosa Vets Building.

When we spoke at the Supervisors meeting, the Board Chair, Shirlee Zane sat stone faced and unresponsive to the voices of the 20-30 vendors and customers who feel passionately about this matter. In a meeting with the head of Sonoma County Parks, the group was also stonewalled. We are distressed that Sonoma County Parks terminated negotiations on lease renewal giving over the lease to interlopers with deep pockets. My feeling is that the new grpup will undermine the beautiful community atmosphere which exists there. Many community organizations have been allowed to set up information booths and events there. Don't let the new managgement run this beautiful market into the ground.

Remember this market was built by vendors who get up at 4-6am on cold winter mornings and weekends to keep this place alive sometimes losing money that week paying space rent.

Please notify each and every Supervisor of your positive experience with the original Santa Rosa Farmer's Market and wish it to continue under present management. SAVE THE ORIGINAL SANTA ROSA fARMERS MARKET
    LONG MAY IT STAND!

[email protected] (1st District)
    [email protected] (2nd District)
    [email protected] (3rd District) (corrected email address)
    Mike[email protected] (4th district)
    [email protected] (5th District)
    Last edited by Barry; 03-15-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Alert! Santa Rosa Farmer's Market is in jeopardy

Fellow Waccovian Michele Anna Jordan recently did a show on the Santa Rosa Farmer's Market on her show: "Mouthful, the Wine Country's Most Delicious Hour":

Santa Rosa Farmers Market - March 11, 2012
    Mouthful looks back to the founding of the first farmers market in Santa Rosa, started more than four decades ago. As the county's signal market faces what may be its biggest challenge so far - a take-over challenge by a few renegade vendors, the possibility of a new location - it is important to understand the market's history, which has survived troubles before and is struggling valiantly to do so again.

Guests include current market manager Paula Downing, long-term vendor Cliff Silva and Ma & Pa's Garden, Hilda Swartz, who managed the market for nearly 20 years and others, including an interview with an original founder, Bob Cannard Jr.

You can listen to the show at the Mouthful page at the KRCB website.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    biannoli

The mis-information in your story is astonishing and clearly from someone who prefers sensationalism to something truthful. I am not the one to try to set you straight because I am not in the habit of spitting into the wind. I do wish to inform potential readers that your opinion is just that, your opinion. Which you can have but it is miles away from the facts. Good luck.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmerdan: View Post
    Lets follow the money....
    (post has been removed by the poster)
    Last edited by Barry; 03-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

[Farmer Dan has chosen to remove his post that I am responding to. - Barry]

Seems like you have a dog in this fight, Dan. Are you involved with Gleason Ranch, which it sounds like is bidding to take over the SR farmer's market?

I think it would be best if all information would be put on the table, on all sides.
    And as much I can enjoy a good cat fight, especially if it's colorful and well written, I think it would be appropriate for all sides to withdraw their claws and calmly state facts and concerns.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmerdan: View Post
    Lets follow the money....
    (post has been removed by the poster)
    Last edited by Barry; 03-19-2012 at 04:12 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

9. TopTop #5
    farmerdan

Barry,

For the sake of harmony, I deleted my post, but of course it continues in yours and the former one.
    If you read the post 'Alert! Santa Rosa Farmers Markets NOT in danger!' you will see that it is signed by the board members of Redwood Empire Farmers Markets of which I am a member.

Gleason Ranch is NOT part of the board. They are a members of our 18 member steering committee who are current or former vendors and many others are supporting this effort. Most of our members have been board members of the Santa Rosa Market as well.

I clearly went too far in my previous post, but was getting frustrated hearing that the 'Farmers Market is in Jeopardy of closing.' This is simply not true. There will be a farmers market at the vets building either managed by Redwood Empire Farmers Markets or Santa Rosa Farmers Markets that is clear.

Santa Rosa Farmers Markets is currently pressuring the county to reverse thier decision to license the space to REFM and we respect thier right to do so. But when they tell customers that the market will close and they should petition thier supervisor, this is simply false.

As to why I am involved:

1) French Garden Farm has never been allowed into the Sebastopol Market even though we are one of the only produce growers in the area with year round production. We have been criticized for having our own market at the restaurant, but this is only because we can't sell in the downtown market.
    2) After two years in the Santa Rosa farmers market, we were kicked out on less than a days notice with no reason. I had to lay off two emplyees and cut back production. Thier families suffered and the selection of produce in the Santa Rosa Market went down.
    3) We have been refused even an application to reenter the Santa Rosa market as recently as 4 weeks ago with no reason given.
    4) My story can be repeated many times over from what I have heard. I am not doing this because of my situation so much as all of the other small farmers who have been kicked out or refused entry for no valid reason. (This does include but is certainly not limited to Gleason Ranch.)

The real question here is who does the market serve. Do they serve the community as any 501C3 should or do they serve the market manager and the farmers who currently are in the market? If certified markets serve the farming community (as they are required to by state law), then they should give preference to local farmers, ranchers and ag producers. There should be due process for applicants and vendor termination. They should not fill up with craft vendors and resellers when there are serious local farmers who are not allowed in.

Take a look at the Sebastopol Market. If you read the city's use permit as I have, you will see that no more than 20% of the market booths can be allocated to non-farmers. And within that 20%, they must all be ag product crafts like wool or leather from animals that the farmers grew. This is not what you find so why are local farmers routinely told they cannot be in the market?

Having said that, we are not opposed to crafters or ag producers, but farmers markets should first and foremost be for farmers. If there are local farmers who cannot get thier eggs, meat, produce and fruit to customers because they can't get into a market, we all are penalized.

Dan

10. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

[ biannoli had posted an unkind response to Farmer Dan's post above. I have removed it. ]

Barbara,

Dan was kind enough to post a respectful reply, even if you dispute parts of it. Please also stick to facts, starting with what's your role and interest in the matter.

I have been in touch with Paula about this, but she has not submitted a public reply yet.

Gosh, I don't know what the right level of transparency is appropriate for the the farmer's market. Is it a 501c3? Is there a board? Who's on it? Are there minutes? Seems like some more transparency, regarding both decision making and finances would be helpful especially since they are such a public service and seem to be supported somewhat by the government.

I'd like to hear some wise guidance of how this matter should be handled.

It does seem like the information should come out, though. Information based on facts, and not character assassination.

Michelle Anna Jordan did a Mouthful show on the Santa Rosa's Farmer's Market recently. I posted it here. Sounds like it's time for me and anybody else interested in this matter to give it a listen.

The dispute in this matter seems to be particularly mean-spirited, which surprises me. Aren't farmers supposed to be Über-groovy? Once again I urge all parties to be calm and stick to the facts. You might also ask questions of the other party.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by biannoli: View Post
    Dan Smith...Holy cow...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-19-2012 at 03:58 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #7
    applefan

In pursuit of truth, Farmer Dan/Dan Smith needs to acknowledge that 2 of his employees requested applications on his behalf for space at the Sebastopol Farm Market at 2 sifferent times, and were given applications and did not return them by the deadline. When Farmer Dan then requested the space after the deadline, he was told that the spaces were already full. He then wrote an inflamatory letter to the Press Democrat attacking Paula Downing, rather than speak with her directly. Then he set up his own, competing farm market on his restaurant property on Sundays, to compete with the Sebastopol market. this all smacks of retribution and spite.

Apple Fan

14. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by applefan: View Post
    ...this all smacks of retribution and spite.
    Why is it that no one (aside from Laurel) can talk about this issue without slinging arrows? :boxers:

Quote Farmer Dan then wrote an inflamed letter to the PD
    The letter to the PD is here.

15. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

16. TopTop #9
    Geni Houston

Or MANY issues on waccobb - we are supposed to be a consious, careing community

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Why is it that no one (aside from Laurel) can talk about this issue without slinging arrows? :boxers:

The letter to the PD is here.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    Bird Watcher

Yesterday, I chewed through Heather Irwin's blog (PD Bite Club) about the Farmer's Market issue, plus the reader commentary that follows it, which contains plenty of slings & arrows. I agree with one reader that Heather does a balanced and thorough job of reporting, even if another commentator says she's not a "real reporter." Here it is:

https://www.biteclubeats.com/2012/03...continues.html

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #11
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

It hasn't much to do with the Farmers' Market topic here, but remember when Palm Drive Hospital was about to go under? It was Dan smith who stepped up with a financial contribution which averted the closure (augmenting the bake sale I held in Cazadero ).

This tells me a whole lot about his generosity and his dedication to this community. Has anyone trashing him here done anything like this for this town?

I just read the letter which Applefan called "inflamatory" (sic), and if you think that letter is inflammatory, I'll write you one that is....

Sara

Quote Posted in reply to the post by applefan: View Post
    In pursuit of truth, Farmer Dan/Dan Smith needs to acknowledge that 2 of his employees requested applications on his behalf for space at the Sebastopol Farm Market at 2 sifferent times, and were given applications and did not return them by the deadline. When Farmer Dan then requested the space after the deadline, he was told that the spaces were already full. He then wrote an inflamatory letter to the Press Democrat attacking Paula Downing, rather than speak with her directly. Then he set up his own, competing farm market on his restaurant property on Sundays, to compete with the Sebastopol market. this all smacks of retribution and spite.

Apple Fan

21. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

22. TopTop #12
    Ice Queen

Paula is worth every penny he is paid. In concert with the farmers and vendore (and customers) she has helped build up this market to a bi-weekly community event. I have looked forward to it almost weekly and it has enhanced my life. Another benefit of the market is the bonus bucks for seniors because the cost of fuel to market is high. I am grateful for the warmth and work of the individuals who vend there and I stand in support of their hard work.

23. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

24. TopTop #13
    Ice Queen

It seems rightious that there is anger in response to the takeover of the SRFM. Just because Dan has deep pockets does not mean that he can run roughshod over the hard work of farmers who have built it up and sustained it over a long period of time. I have been a customer there for over 10 years spending from $10 to $100 at each visit.

Last Saturday at the market the takeover people were actively recruiting farmers and vendors during the market and were politely asked to take their business outside the market. If the new group is interested in this market then why did they not ask the farmers in advance of their takeover if the farmers were discontented with the present board and the direction it takes. At a recent poll of the present vendors, 90% wish to remain with the present farmers market.

As to farmers being gentle people, to a man/woman they ARE but I doubt they will sit idly by to watch a takeover of their hard work. How many of you get up on a cold winter morning @ 6am or earlier to set up in the rain to lose money paying for your space that day, because of the dearth of customers on a cold rainy winter morning?

Oh yes, on a warm sunny day during a tomato festival one is only too willing to come by to taste the free samples, enjoy the free music and even dance a little (actually usually only the kids do any dancing).

Once again I call on all of you to support the original Santa Rosa Farmers Market contacting each member of the board of supervisors with your support.

25. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

26. TopTop #14
    Helen Shane

I shop at the Sebastopol Farm Market, and appreciate very much Paula's interaction with the community. As an elder, I also appreciate the bonus bucks. Over the years I have found Paula to be very much in touch with the community. She has given support to many community needs.

Given the limited space available at the present Sebastopol Market, I applaud Paula for the juggling she has done to accomodate many vendors. I hope that the Santa Rosa Market will remain in her charge. As one who has frequently been the target of personal slurs from those who disagree with me, I admire Paula's fortitude under fire. Keep on keepin' on, Paula.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ice Queen: View Post
    Paula is worth every penny he is paid. In concert with the farmers and vendore (and customers) she has helped build up this market to a bi-weekly community event. I have looked forward to it almost weekly and it has enhanced my life. Another benefit of the market is the bonus bucks for seniors because the cost of fuel to market is high. I am grateful for the warmth and work of the individuals who vend there and I stand in support of their hard work.

27. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

28. TopTop #15
    biannoli

Thanks, Helen!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post
    I shop at the Sebastopol Farm Market, and appreciate very much Paula's interaction with the community. As an elder, I also appreciate the bonus bucks. Over the years I have found Paula to be very much in touch with the community. She has given support to many community needs.

Given the limited space available at the present Sebastopol Market, I applaud Paula for the juggling she has done to accomodate many vendors. I hope that the Santa Rosa Market will remain in her charge. As one who has frequently been the target of personal slurs from those who disagree with me, I admire Paula's fortitude under fire. Keep on keepin' on, Paula.

29. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

30. TopTop #16
    Praksys

CHANGE IS GOOD – The new and fresh Santa Rosa Farmers Market!

CHANGE IS GOOD! The new and fresh Santa Rosa Farmers Market
    Sounds like sour grapes to me! When someone takes advantage of a situation, running a business and community benefit event like a fiefdom, they eventually get called out on it. The farm market in Santa Rosa will move on and be the better for it. I think it a low blow to blame deep pockets. More like avoiding the issues. After all, when not for profit organizations ask for gifts, where do you think the donations come from? They come from someone who has been successful, has extra and is willing to share. Good business practice and fairness should come before pettiness and personal preferences.
    D. O.

31. TopTop #17
    Ice Queen

Re: CHANGE IS GOOD – The new and fresh Santa Rosa Farmers Market!

I don't agree - the bulk of donations come from rdinary people-myaelf included. Why is it that Barry monitors my posts and not yours. Pettiness, bah!!! The petty ones ar those who cannot abide by rules and do takeovers so they can plunder what others have worked so hard for. Support the Original Santa Rosa Farmers Market. Contact your supervisor with your support.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Praksys: View Post
    Sounds like sour grapes to me! When someone takes advantage of a situation, running a business and community benefit event like a fiefdom, they eventually get called out on it. The farm market in Santa Rosa will move on and be the better for it. I think it a low blow to blame deep pockets. More like avoiding the issues. After all, when not for profit organizations ask for gifts, where do you think the donations come from? They come from someone who has been successful, has extra and is willing to share. Good business practice and fairness should come before pettiness and personal preferences.
    D. O.

32. Gratitude expressed by:

33. TopTop #18
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: CHANGE IS GOOD! The new and fresh Santa Rosa Farmers Market

Thanks, Praksys; I was going to say something similar. Just because a guy has money (which he earned himself) doesn't make him the big bad wolf; Dan Smith could have done anything he wanted with his money, and he chose to do a service to the community (and to the entire west county, I might add; when the situation was so dire for Palm Drive, I lived way out in the Cazadero hills, and closure of the hospital would have meant that my neighbors and I were 50 miles from a hospital. I didn't have any money, so I had a bake sale and spent several days on the 'phone bank calling people in the district to ask support for the bond issue which was to be on the ballot. Hell, out where I was wasn't even in the district, so we couldn't even vote.)

Sara

D. O.

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #19
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Sorry folks, I can't attend to this today. I'll clean up and combine the various Farm Market threads this weekend.

Guidelines are that you can't call names or characterize others actions. You can objectively describe actions, such as "I was turned down and she said...". You can express your feeling if you identify them as such and be clear that you are talking about yourself rather projecting motives, intentions, etc. on others.

So out of line comments below include:

"akes advantage of a situation, running a business and community benefit event like a fiefdom,"
    "pettiness"
    "The petty ones ar those who cannot abide by rules and do takeovers so they can plunder what others have worked so hard for."

I don't agree - the bulk of donations come from rdinary people-myaelf included. Why is it that Barry monitors my posts and not yours. Pettiness, bah!!! The petty ones ar those who cannot abide by rules and do takeovers so they can plunder what others have worked so hard for. Support the Original Santa Rosa Farmers Market. Contact your supervisor with your support.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-23-2012 at 10:03 PM.

36. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

37. TopTop #20
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here's a video interview with Dan Smith done by the P.D.'s Sonoma Watch.

38. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

39. TopTop #21

I don't know who Barry monitors etc., but I absolutely agree with Ice Queen with everything else said.
    We of OccupySR are looking into getting involved also. It sounds like another case of the 1% oppressing the 99%.
    Who has the most money, should not be "the bottom line" here or anywhere else!
    I don't usually post on WACCO, and I probably won't continue posting on this. I'll say it again---
    Express your support for the Original Santa Rosa Farmers Market ! ASAP!
    Contact Board of Supervisors!!!

40. TopTop #22
    Praksys

There is no take over. I would like to suggest that occupySR do a little homework first. Demonizing someone one by calling them part of the "1%" can be an abuse of power. Do you speak for All the members or is this your personal take on the situation? It is not a case of the 1% oppressing the 99%. Please do some investigating before throwing your weight around. The former manager's retaliation against the Gleason Ranch and others did little to inspire confidence (SR PD article February 24, 2012). It is not fair or accurate to characterize the new group of eighteen as part of the so called, 1 percent. It is time to move on. It's easy to be against something, what are you for and what have you contributed to the local community?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gaiasophia: View Post
    I don't know who Barry monitors etc., but I absolutely agree with Ice Queen with everything else said.
    We of OccupySR are looking into getting involved also. It sounds like another case of the 1% oppressing the 99%.
    Who has the most money, should not be "the bottom line" here or anywhere else!
    I don't usually post on WACCO, and I probably won't continue posting on this. I'll say it again---
    Express your support for the Original Santa Rosa Farmers Market ! ASAP!
    Contact Board of Supervisors!!!

41. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

42. TopTop #23

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Here's a video interview with Dan Smith done by the P.D.'s Sonoma Watch.

Thank you for posting this video, Barry. With kindness and respect to everyone, I offer the following:
    For me action speaks louder than words. The video was filmed with Dan sitting in a greenhouse. In the beginning of the video, Dan tells us of his fondness and long experience with gardening and farming. As I was listening carefully with an open mind to what was being said, I couldn't ignore the coffee mug to the right (Dan's left). The mug is sitting on top of young plants.
    Having worked/volunteered on farms/in greenhouses--I have NEVER seen a farmer (or gardener) put a mug down on precious young greenhouse plants!
    And if the farmer observed that a mug had been left there by someone else (I have seen that happen!)---the farmer would instantly take the mug off and (depending on farmer) the person who left it there would be gently educated or sharply scolded, to never do such a thing again! Having noticed this huge inconsistency (re: his words about his long experience with gardening and farming, etc...) gives me huge cause to doubt how much of a farmer(or gardener) Dan truly is... and consequently doubt the honesty of his other words. I could perhaps attribute the mug-on-plants issue as nervousness about being filmed, to a non-experienced or novice gardener, but that is not how he represents himself... I will leave it to others to comment on his words.

43. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

44. TopTop #24
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Thank you for posting this video, Barry. With kindness and respect to everyone, I offer the following:
    For me action speaks louder than words. The video was filmed with Dan sitting in a greenhouse. In the beginning of the video, Dan tells us of his fondness and long experience with gardening and farming. As I was listening carefully with an open mind to what was being said, I couldn't ignore the coffee mug to the right (Dan's left). The mug is sitting on top of young plants.
    Having worked/volunteered on farms/in greenhouses--I have NEVER seen a farmer (or gardener) put a mug down on precious young greenhouse plants!
    I noticed the mug too, but to me it does not look like it is on the plants, but rather on the bench behind the flat. And even if its on the flat, there easily could have been no plants growing on that section. I can tell you for sure that Dan is presently an avid small farmer. Perhaps its time to reconsider "the honesty of his other words". [Edit: Claire pointed out in a subsequent post, that mug moves later in the video]
    Last edited by Barry; 03-25-2012 at 05:42 PM.

45. Gratitude expressed by:

46. TopTop #25
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Well, have you ever been interviewed by a reporter on camera? Do you think that you'd be totally focused on your coffee cup and where you put it?
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by claire ossenbeck: View Post
    I am watching this thread out of mere curiosity. I never make it to this market. However, the mug really says a lot. What a tell! lol

47. TopTop #26
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: The Great Santa Rosa Farmer's Market Controversy

Here's part 2 of Dan Smith's interview:

48. TopTop #27
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: The Great Santa Rosa Farmer's Market Controversy

This just in privately from Dan Smith:

Barry,

Please assure your viewers that the cilantro microgreens are doing just
    fine. There was spotty germination so there were bare spots. It's really
    comforting to know that people were worried for my plants. How sweet!

Dan

49. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

50. TopTop #28
    jesswolfe

Being interviewed if you aren't used to it, especially on camera, is nerve wracking. You do things you wouldn't normally do because you get flustered. Not everyone is outgoing and comfortable on camera. Its easy to go out of your body under those circumstances.

I don't think that is callous to have actual feelings. Even if the feeling is fear and nervousness.

Jess

Quote Posted in reply to the post by claire ossenbeck: View Post
    For the first 6 1/2 minutes the mug is behind the plants, then he presumably takes a drink and puts it down on the seedlings in the middle of the tray. I seriously doubt that there is a bare spot right there. Even so, any gardener would not press down on bare sprouting tray soil. They know that those tiny roots are struggling too hard.
    I don't know know anything about this guy, but that looks pretty callous from this angle. I would not let him near my precious seedlings because I am a true gardener and a true gardener feels that their new sprouts are sacrosanct.

51. Gratitude expressed by:

52. TopTop #29
    Praksys

The mug has nothing to do with the story. It is not sitting atop any seedlings and is totally irrelevant. You should be ashamed of yourself for attempting to demean a genuine farmer. I don't believe you have an open mind at all. You owe Dan Smith an apology for your outrageous characterization. Not very impressive for Gaia.

And if the farmer observed that a mug had been left there by someone else (I have seen that happen!)---the farmer would instantly take the mug off and (depending on farmer) the person who left it there would be gently educated or sharply scolded, to never do such a thing again! Having noticed this huge inconsistency (re: his words about his long experience with gardening and farming, etc...) gives me huge cause to doubt how much of a farmer(or gardener) Dan truly is... and consequently doubt the honesty of his other words. I could perhaps attribute the mug-on-plants issue as nervousness about being filmed, to a non-experienced or novice gardener, but that is not how he represents himself... I will leave it to others to comment on his words.

53. Gratitude expressed by:

54. TopTop #30
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

... You should be ashamed of yourself for attempting to demean a genuine farmer. I don't believe you have an open mind at all. You owe Dan Smith an apology for your outrageous characterization. Not very impressive for Gaia.
    Another normally sane (except when he is "mad" ) user goes berserk when it comes to commenting on this issue...

55. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: