Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Ernie Carpenter jumps in to challenge Efren Carrillo! WoW!

Wow! I think this is great news!
    What do you guys/gals think?
    Anybody care to remind us of significant items from Ernie's prior terms?
    Barry

Carpenter launches bid for west county supervisorial seat
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120308/ARTICLES/120309534/1350?p=all&tc=pgall

By BRETT WILKISON
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Published: Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 4:18 p.m.
    Last Modified: Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 7:14 p.m.

Ernie Carpenter, who stepped down 16 years ago from the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, stunned the west county political community Thursday by jumping into the race for his former seat, now held by first-term incumbent Efren Carrillo.

|Ernie Carpenter, Occidental
    resident and former Sonoma
    County supervisor, is running
    against incumbent Efren Carrillo
    for the west county seat.
    PD FIle
    Carpenter, 69, of Occidental, who was first elected to the board in 1980 and served 16 years, joins former Santa Rosa City Councilwoman Veronica Jacobi in trying to unseat Carrillo from his 5th District seat.

A strong environmental advocate, Carpenter said his move — made one day before the filing deadline — was partly based on dissatisfaction with Carrillo’s record on land-use issues.

“I don’t trust him on land use going into the future,” Carpenter said, pointing to construction, real estate and development interests that continue to be some of Carrillo’s chief campaign donors.

Last month, Carrillo, 30, reported $101,748 in available campaign cash, a formidable war chest to defend his seat, which represents most of the west county, including west Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, the Russian River corridor and the coast from Bodega Bay to Mendocino County.

Carpenter acknowledged the fundraising edge, the last-minute timing of his decision and the waves it caused in the west county as news spread Thursday.

“Everyone is shocked, there’s no question about that,” he said.

Carpenter, a former social worker, said he had been considering a run for at least six months and his decision was prompted in part by the long odds many give Jacobi in unseating Carrillo.

“When nobody appeared on the scene that I thought could beat Carrillo, I went into a whole other analysis,” he said.

He cited Carrillo’s support for several controversial projects, including his deciding vote in favor of the Dutra Materials asphalt plant south of Petaluma and, in the 5th District, his endorsement of the Best Family Winery project. It got unanimous board approval for a county general plan change that allowed a production facility, tasting room and vineyard on an apple orchard off Highway 116 and Occidental Road.

Also in question is Carrillo’s stance on Preservation Ranch, the forest-to-vineyard conversion project on nearly 20,000 acres outside Annapolis.

Carrillo has refused to indicate his position on the controversial project, which is still under review. That uncertainty and the other development-related votes have led some in his district to push for his ouster.

Carrillo has defended his environmental record, citing his support for a large county purchase of open space on the Jenner Headlands, his backing of a proposed bid to form a county power agency to boost green energy development and and his leadership on a fisheries restoration grant program.

“The record speaks for itself,” Carrillo said last month. “I believe I’m just as strong of an environmental advocate as most folks in this county.”

He could not be reached for comment Thursday.

But Carpenter, who since his retirement from the board has worked as a consultant for local waste hauler North Bay Corp., called that record “lip service.”

He said he had not talked with Carrillo about his decision. He described their relationship as “cordial but standoffish.”

Carpenter’s entrance into the race put west county political observers into overdrive Thursday. Some who have questioned Carrillo’s politics welcomed the move.

“With Jacobi in, we had a challenger. With Ernie in, we have a race,” said Dennis Rosatti, executive director of Sonoma County Conservation Action, the largest local environmental group. “

Rosatti said the group has interviewed Jacobi and Carrillo for an endorsement and now would make plans to interview Carpenter.

Jacobi, also a veteran environmentalist, expressed surprise at Carpenter’s decision but said it would not change her campaign plans.

“I'm excited about it actually,” she said. “I think Ernie is up to the task and I'm also up to the task.”

In a brief interview, Carpenter also cited declining road maintenance, the county’s fiscal challenges and concerns about maintaining strong land-use planning as playing into his decision to run.

“I’m very disturbed about the leadership in the county, particularly in the 5th District,” he said. “I think we can do a heck of a lot better. I know I have a lot of experience.”
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 11 members:

3. TopTop #2
    rossmen

Re: Ernie Carpenter jumps in to challenge Efren Carrillo! WoW!

i remember a lot of 1 to 4 votes when ernie stood for the earth during 16 years of pro development boom times. he was low key about it and now and then the rest of the supervisors would come around to environmental sense. would he be in the same role now with the bos generally being on the same page unless something is really controversial and then they seem to vote trade to support business interests? this is a very different set of supervisors and they seem to love wonder boy efren. he gets lots of plum appointments and opportunities for leadership. my vote will be for old man carpenter. this county is facing some very tough choices, experience and willingness to hold an unpopular truth count more than can do carrillo.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Wow! I think this is great news!
    Anybody care to remind us of significant items from Ernie's prior terms?
    Barry

Last edited by Barry; 03-10-2012 at 05:22 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #3
    "Mad" Miles

I'm conflicted because I like and know Veronica Jacobi. She's tenacious. I'm afraid she and Ernie will split votes, with Ernie most likely getting most of them, and Efren will slide smoothly to reelection. Not the desired outcome.

6. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Tarotkatee

go for it ernie - we definitely need you!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by barry: View Post
    wow! I think this is great news!
    Anybody care to remind us of significant items from ernie's prior terms?
    Barry

carpenter launches bid for west county supervisorial seat
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120308/articles/120309534/1350?p=all&tc=pgall

by brett wilkison
    the press democrat
    published: Thursday, march 8, 2012 at 4:18 p.m.
    Last modified: Thursday, march 8, 2012 at 7:14 p.m.

ernie carpenter, who stepped down 16 years ago from the sonoma county board of supervisors, stunned the west county political community thursday by jumping into the race for his former seat, now held by first-term incumbent efren carrillo.

|ernie carpenter, occidental
    resident and former sonoma
    county supervisor, is running
    against incumbent efren carrillo
    for the west county seat.
    Pd file
    carpenter, 69, of occidental, who was first elected to the board in 1980 and served 16 years, joins former santa rosa city councilwoman veronica jacobi in trying to unseat carrillo from his 5th district seat.

A strong environmental advocate, carpenter said his move — made one day before the filing deadline — was partly based on dissatisfaction with carrillo’s record on land-use issues.

“i don’t trust him on land use going into the future,” carpenter said, pointing to construction, real estate and development interests that continue to be some of carrillo’s chief campaign donors.

Last month, carrillo, 30, reported $101,748 in available campaign cash, a formidable war chest to defend his seat, which represents most of the west county, including west santa rosa, sebastopol, the russian river corridor and the coast from bodega bay to mendocino county.

Carpenter acknowledged the fundraising edge, the last-minute timing of his decision and the waves it caused in the west county as news spread thursday.

“everyone is shocked, there’s no question about that,” he said.

Carpenter, a former social worker, said he had been considering a run for at least six months and his decision was prompted in part by the long odds many give jacobi in unseating carrillo.

“when nobody appeared on the scene that i thought could beat carrillo, i went into a whole other analysis,” he said.

He cited carrillo’s support for several controversial projects, including his deciding vote in favor of the dutra materials asphalt plant south of petaluma and, in the 5th district, his endorsement of the best family winery project. It got unanimous board approval for a county general plan change that allowed a production facility, tasting room and vineyard on an apple orchard off highway 116 and occidental road.

Also in question is carrillo’s stance on preservation ranch, the forest-to-vineyard conversion project on nearly 20,000 acres outside annapolis.

Carrillo has refused to indicate his position on the controversial project, which is still under review. That uncertainty and the other development-related votes have led some in his district to push for his ouster.

Carrillo has defended his environmental record, citing his support for a large county purchase of open space on the jenner headlands, his backing of a proposed bid to form a county power agency to boost green energy development and and his leadership on a fisheries restoration grant program.

“the record speaks for itself,” carrillo said last month. “i believe i’m just as strong of an environmental advocate as most folks in this county.”

he could not be reached for comment thursday.

But carpenter, who since his retirement from the board has worked as a consultant for local waste hauler north bay corp., called that record “lip service.”

he said he had not talked with carrillo about his decision. He described their relationship as “cordial but standoffish.”

carpenter’s entrance into the race put west county political observers into overdrive thursday. Some who have questioned carrillo’s politics welcomed the move.

“with jacobi in, we had a challenger. With ernie in, we have a race,” said dennis rosatti, executive director of sonoma county conservation action, the largest local environmental group. “

rosatti said the group has interviewed jacobi and carrillo for an endorsement and now would make plans to interview carpenter.

Jacobi, also a veteran environmentalist, expressed surprise at carpenter’s decision but said it would not change her campaign plans.

“i'm excited about it actually,” she said. “i think ernie is up to the task and i'm also up to the task.”

in a brief interview, carpenter also cited declining road maintenance, the county’s fiscal challenges and concerns about maintaining strong land-use planning as playing into his decision to run.

“i’m very disturbed about the leadership in the county, particularly in the 5th district,” he said. “i think we can do a heck of a lot better. I know i have a lot of experience.”

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    peacetree

Well, I don't have the long view here, as I have not been a voter up here until about 3 years ago when I moved up here full-time. I was a voting activist in sf while I still worked down there , as I voted from my fulltime apartment in Sf. I know only really a little of Efren's stuff, &voting hx, and little to nothing of Ernie, other than I remember he was a supe up here sometime back. I need to hear more about the actual differences.

I am concerned about the inference that so many running will split the vote , and that it will end with the less environmental conscience-aware of the candidates. I am, by conviction, and inclination, for the more environmentally concerned and open-minded , radically thoughtful candidates. I don't know enough just now to know who shakes out as the best version of that.
    Sounds like a lot of research is needed here. What do folks know very specifically that indicates who is more aware, proactive, and positive in these areas?

If there truly was a log jam that left unspent a huge sum of $$ for our community with all the huge needs the folks and river have here, that in itself seems criminally negligent. That we actually had a potluck fundraiser for river water monitering equipment( just last tuesday at the Rainbow cattle co "give back tuesday" for the clean water institute{thankyou vera, for organizing this} seems insane. If there was really a huge pot of money just sitting about that left us, unspent, I am furious.( I am remembering the old bumpersticker. it reads something like this : it will be a great day when the childcare centers & children's education and women's healthcare are fully funded and the military has bake sales for their budgets)

For sure we have had enough of folks who promote the status quo and business interests over our suffering planet, river ,and community. If the only folks who join together to push for candidates support the money, and business focused stuff around and about we will not get the community I want to see grow. I take the long view and see we need to have true healing start here at home, as all change is local or it is nothing at all.

I see local mom and pop stuff closing and chains moving in,( Subway in Gville) and wonder who is minding our town for the folks who live and work here? There are families around here, living in cars and campers, and yes, in TENTS .Where is the local REAL housing and employment help for them? And why, in an area this depressed financially , is it only that we have a shelter when the weather is offically declared cold enough by the dates on the calendar, and closed regardless of the temps, just by a calendar date? Ignoring the desperate state of many many folks around here doesn't make their desperation go away.If we ignore the core issues of the real need for treatment on demand for those who need help overcoming alcoholism and addiction in favor of some crazy sign campaign about how "Natural " the river area is ( for tourists, who are apparently supposed to ignore the folks who are homeless everywhere now), I wonder about the values and sanity of those who are deciding where the $ is spent.

Sometimes I think opposition to helping our suffering neighbors with some organized shelter and housing has more to do with folks denial/and deep fear this could ever happen to them. If we do not see the suffering among us as a part of us, regardless as to how they came to be there, then who have we become?

In Peace & Solidarity for real positive change in our community, Christmas

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    i remember a lot of 1 to 4 votes when ernie stood for the earth during 16 years of pro development boom times. he was low key about it and now and then the rest of the supervisors would come around to environmental sense. would he be in the same role now with the bos generally being on the same page unless something is really controversial and then they seem to vote trade to support business interests? this is a very different set of supervisors and they seem to love wonder boy efren. he gets lots of plum appointments and opportunities for leadership. my vote will be for old man carpenter. this county is facing some very tough choices, experience and willingness to hold an unpopular truth count more than can do carrillo.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    rendieb

Quote Posted in reply to the post by "Mad" Miles: View Post

I'm conflicted because I like and know Veronica Jacobi. She's tenacious. I'm afraid she and Ernie will split votes, with Ernie most likely getting most of them, and Efren will slide smoothly to reelection. Not the desired outcome.

Don't feel conflicted. Having 2 candidates running against Carrillo may actually be a good thing. If they can deprive him of a 50% plus 1 vote majority in the primary there will be a runoff and most of Carpenter and Jacobi voters will unite to oust Carrillo.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Jacobi is an awesome environmentalist, but she doesn't have such a great track record in elections and many folks do not believe she can beat Carrillo. Carpenter has fabulous record on all environmental issues as well as in elections. It would be great if VJ would step aside and support EC in this election. It is vital that we get a dedicated environmentalist back in the Fifth District seat. The wine and other industries have enough voices.

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

15. TopTop #8
    GreenGraphics

I have read Veronica Jacobi's stand on the issues and cannot imagine a better person or plan for the environment. I admire her tremendously she really walks her talk, being car free all of 2011.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by "Mad" Miles: View Post

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #9
    maryr45

Wow! Is it great news that the guy that originally shilled for Calpers to convert 10,000 acres of forest to vineyard has changed his mind and is back to save us?

At least of the 20,000 WaccoBB members it's good to see only six have even bothered to make a tepid response in the last 5 days.

Barry what's your problem with Efren anyway? I am among the 60% that will vote for him again in the next election.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-13-2012 at 09:30 AM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #10
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

My biggest problem with Efren was his support for the Dutra asphalt project in Petaluma. That really seemed out of line and gave credence to the persistent concerns that he is beholden to moneyed interests. Seems like there have been a few other issues as well.

On the plus side I give him credit for working towards the new Sonoma Community Choice Aggregation, which is huge. I believe he will also come out in support of a resolution to end corporate personhood.

Efren is a talented young man. He works extremely hard and is generally a nice guy. I would asses him as being middle of the road. Given how progressive west county is, particularly around environmental issues, I think we could be represented by somebody that is more aligned with our values.

Ernie seems to have a better environmental record, but it's not pristine either. It seems he was hired to support an earlier incarnation of Preservation Ranch, and he has also been hired by the owners of Sonoma County's major garbage hauler, North Bay Corp.

I'm glad Efren is facing a serious challenger. I'm not that familiar with Veronica Jacobi. While her values seem good, many people think she wouldn't be as strong a challenger.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by maryr45: View Post
    Wow! Is it great news that the guy that originally shilled for Calpers to convert 10,000 acres of forest to vineyard has changed his mind and is back to save us?

At least of the 20,000 WaccoBB members it's good to see only six have even bothered to make a tepid response in the last 5 days.

Barry what's your problem with Efren anyway? I am among the 60% that will vote for him again in the next election.

20. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

21. TopTop #11
    GreenGraphics

Barry, you can learn more about Veronica Jacobi and her background at her websites https://www.veronicajacobi.com/ and https://www.OurGreenChallenge.org

Her values are excellent for those of us who care deeply about the environment. I only wish we had a Presidential Candidate like her. Check out her posts on Facebook, if you have time: https://www.facebook.com/veronica.jacobi

I'm glad Efren is facing a serious challenger. I'm not that familiar with Veronica Jacobi. While her values seem good, many people think she wouldn't be as strong a challenger.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #12
    "Mad" Miles

Anybody who follows the news about the Santa Rosa City Council in recent years. And the elections for the council, knows about Veronica.

I also know her as an acquaintance friend. She would make a stellar Supervisor.

What needs to be considered by both her and Ernie, is electoral strategy. I'd bet if they met and spent some face time, they could figure out what's best. I suspect they already know each other. But I haven't been getting out much lately.

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #13
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Ernie seems to have a better environmental record, but it's not pristine either. It seems he was hired to support an earlier incarnation of Preservation Ranch, and he has also been hired by the owners of Sonoma County's major garbage hauler, North Bay Corp....
    See Ernie's comments about his role regarding the property that is now Preservation Ranch on this thread: Forestry Conversions by Ernie Carpenter