Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    kpgpr

Support group for 12-14 yr old girls

Does anyone know of a support group for girls ages 12-14? I am looking for an ongoing group my daughter can become part of to explore issues (body image/friendships) with other girls (and a mentor). Hopefully in the R.Park/Cotati/Petaluma area.
    Thanks
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Valley Oak

Re: Support group for 12-14 yr old girls

I do not know of one but if you find such a group, please let me know. We have a 12 y/o daughter.

Thanks,

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kpgpr:
    Does anyone know of a support group for girls ages 12-14? I am looking for an ongoing group my daughter can become part of to explore issues (body image/friendships) with other girls (and a mentor). Hopefully in the R.Park/Cotati/Petaluma area.
    Thanks

3. TopTop #3
    SuziL

You might try calling the YWCA, the Konocti Girl Scout Council, and the California Parenting Institute... all of these may have suggestions.

You might also try asking your daughter's pediatrician, or her mom's OB/GYN if they know of anything.

These are all sources with a stake in the health and well-being of adolescent girls and they might know about groups and programs. Good luck!

4. TopTop #4
    karenclark

Me too, please! I did see that the Girl Scouts has a new preteen/teen division but when I asked last year there weren't any local groups yet. If anyone knows of one that may be a good avenue. It sounded like a neat way for the girls to make friends and help out in the community. If anyone else has other ideas, post here!!
    Karen Clark
    Story Time Felts
    https://www.funfelt.com

5. TopTop #5
    loi
    Supporting Member

try family service agency too - i know they have some groups going on. i'm also interested although my daughter is just 11...
    Thanks

6. TopTop #6
    Blackberryscouts

Hi,
    There is a new group in the Sebastopol area Called the Blackberryscouts. There are families with teens involved in the group who have the same needs and interests as you have expressed here. Go to their website to check it out: https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Blackberryscouts/

The Blackberryscouts.
    Alternative scouting for the rest of us.
    All ages; all genders; all types.

West Sonoma county children need an alternative form of scouting for the rest of us. Parents from Sebastopol and surrounding areas have established the Blackberryscouts of the Pomo region; a “non-organization” where all ages, all genders, and all types can play a role and offer their resourcefulness. Whatever your origin or orientation, this is the place for you. This is an environment where a healthy, well-balanced, sustainable, all-inclusive, and adapting relationship is being nurtured with each person's self, family, community, and bioregion. This is an opportunity to acknowledge our spiritual selves along with our physical selves in an interdependent world. The Blackberryscouts welcomes those who are kids, those who wish they were kids, those who think they still are kids, those who wish that they did have kids, and those who wish they still had kids.

Five age groups:
    Blackberry Sprouts- 0 to 5 years old;
    Blackberry Buds- 6 to 10 years old;
    Blackberry Blooms- 11 to 15 years old;
    Blackberry Fruits- 16 to 20 years old;
    Blackberry Juices- 21 to 121 years old

7. TopTop #7
    potterac

Hi,

I am currently in the process of setting up Girls' Circle groups for pre-adolescent to adolescent girls. The issues that you are interested in are addressed and it is in a creative therapeutic environment. For more info you can check out the Girl Circle website www.girlscircle.com to see what it is about. I am hoping to do this through the Sebastopol Community Center in the Fall and would be willing to do it in other areas if there is a need. The groups are separated by age and can have 6-10 girls per group. I am currently a high school counselor and see a huge need for girl's support groups. I have been trained in facilitation of these groups and I am really excited to get going. If there is enough interest, it might be possible to do a summer group. The group is eight weeks long and will meet once a week. The price would be $100 per girl, but no one will be turned away due to inability to pay (sliding scale might be possible). There might be small additional fees for projects or an end of session trip. Please email me back and give me your phone number if you are interested and we can talk about your needs. [email protected]

Thanks

8. TopTop #8
    potterac

Hello all,

Yay! So I am finally ready to start my first Girls' Circle (more info about the group format below) through the Sebastopol Community Center. The first one will be for middle school girls, 6th through 8th grade. The first meeting will be September 25th from 7-9 at the Youth Annex next to the community center. This first meeting will be for parents only and will be an informational meeting. Even if you have older girls this will be a good meeting for you to attend. I am trying to get an older girls' group going for Spring. The more parent interest we have, the more pull I have for getting more groups going.

Parents will be able to ask questions and get a clearer idea of the kinds of things the group will be doing. I will also talk about confidentaility and mandated reporting at this meeting.

The actual group will start the following Monday, October 2 from 7:30-9 pm. The group will last 12 weeks with the last one on December 18th. There will be no group on November 27th. The cost did have to increase due to having to pay the community center for the space. So it wil be $300 for the 12 weeks ( $25 per session). All materials will be included in the price (a journal, paints, art supplies, craft supplies, snacks, etc.). The SCC does not have scholarship monies available, but if you can absolutely not afford this, please talk to me, we will try to work something out. You must make a commitment to all 12 groups, refunds will not be available after the first group. It is really important for group work that participation is consistent.

You can pre register at the SCC or registration forms will be available at the parent meeting. Space is limited to 10 girls, so first come!

If you have any questions, please email me back. I will be happy to answer the best I can.

Thanks for your patience and ongoing support,

: ) Amy

FORMAT:

The Girls Circle model, a structured support group for girls from 9-18 years, integrates relational theory, resiliency practices, and skills training in a specific format designed to increase positive connection, personal and collective strengths, and competence in girls. It aims to counteract social and interpersonal forces that impede girls’ growth and development by promoting an emotionally safe setting and structure within which girls can develop caring relationships and use authentic voices.

Circle Guidelines
    The Girls Circle does not aim to provide advice, but encourages girls to share experiences that are helpful to one another. To participate, girls need only have the desire, make a commitment to attend the meetings, and agree to follow the circle guidelines, i.e. respect, no put-downs or interruptions, offer experiences - not advice, keep the focus on oneself, and keep what’s said in the group private. Girls are free to share at their own pace.

Girls Circle Format
    Girls Circles are held weekly for 1 1/2 to two hours. Each week the girls experience a format that includes each girl taking turns talking and listening to one another respectfully about their concerns and interests. The girls express themselves further through creative or focused activities such as role playing, drama, journalling, poetry, drama, dance, drawing, collage, clay, and so on. Gender specific themes and topics are introduced which relate to the girls’ lives, such as being a girl, trusting ourselves, friendships, body image, goals, sexuality, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, competition, and decision-making.

Giving Voice to Feelings
    When girls voice their ideas and opinions in a safe environment, it strengthens their confidence and self-esteem and encourages them to express themselves more fully and critically think through their behavior and choices. By examining cultural expectations in a safe and supportive setting, girls gain greater awareness of their options and strengthen their ability to make choices that are consistent with their values, interests, and talents.

Girls' Circle works with Diversity
    Girl's come from different backgrounds. It is the philosophy of this format to honor diversity and encourage discussions on diversity. These discussions will be anchored is issues and thoughts and not focused on personalities. The idea is to encourage empathic exchanges that will foster change and understanding. Although there are no requirements to be met to be a part of Girls' Circle, some girls will not benefit from the format of this group. Things to be considered when putting together a group are emotioinal maturity, behavior and interests, focus of attention, and parental expectations. If there are special needs, these should be discussed so that we can accomodate these needs or refer to the most appropriate agency to address these needs. Examples of this might be diagnosable mental disorders or developmental disabilites. The age levels in each group are basically at the same developmental stages: pre adolescent (9-11), middle school (11-14), and high school (14-18). Discussions in the group will be based on the developmental stage of the participants.

Parent/Guardian Session
    Before the beginning of each group a parent informational meeting will be held to answer questions and address concerns. This is a mandatory meeting for participant's parents or guardians. At this time I will ask parents to fill out an information sheet with specific questions to determine if the format of Girls' Circle will be adequate for their child. If I do not feel like the group is appropriate, I will set up a private meeting to discuss this with the parents and to discuss other options. A referral process will be followed to help the family address their child's needs.