Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Painful Truths: The Iowa Caucus and "Oh, I Forgot We Don't Have Real Elections Anymore"

My astrology today says, "Painful Truths," as I watch the Iowa Caucus results come in and realize/remember that there's a lot that goes on between the voter and the media reported totals that is generally overlooked unless someone is trained by someone as savvy as Bev Harris of www.blackboxvoting.org to video tape and do the arithmetic and accounting necessary to have an accurate vote.

I'm thinking, oh, yeah, the painful truth hits home, we don't have real elections anymore. I forgot. Or, I knew it was a big issue that needs to be dealt with, but I still have layers of denial that lead me to believe that Ron Paul could win, despite the whole banking cartel investing so much in this and every election charade to make their dictator win (in this case it will be Obama). The two parties are one, and the Republicans are running to lose, otherwise they'd get behind a winner, Ron Paul. Whatever shreds of democracy we have left is now up to us to oversee the counting, as it's definitely not built into the system. Just read and listen to the many accounts of vote tampering in the last decade at Bev's site for a reality check on this. I do hope there were enough trained people for each of the 1777 voting precincts of Iowa. But even if there were, will their findings translate to the media? That same banking cartel owned media?

As the numbers came in, I turned my focus instead to an internet search on "iowa caucus vote tampering" and learned that the vote counting in Iowa was recently moved to an undisclosed location. WTF!

However, Bev Harris says on her site, "The truth is, the counting process, even if it is moved to a secret location, will not destroy transparency if the process I outline at the end of this article is followed."

Then there's this passionate man's take on it:

Ron Paul Iowa Caucus 2012 Vote Fraud Watch (Moved To A Secret Location)

Will someone please remind me what the Secretary of State's job is if not to ensure accurate and transparent elections and vote counting?

Ok, it's up to us in this brave new world.

I'm going to bed early 'cause I'm depressed,
    Liz
    Last edited by ubaru; 01-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Opt-out of having a smart meter whether you have one now or not, anytime. 1-866-743-0263 24/7 Spread the word. More info here.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    CSummer

Re: Painful Truths: The Iowa Caucus and "Oh, I Forgot We Don't Have Real Elections Anymore

"Ok, it's up to us in this brave new world."

Exactly, and now might be a good time to recognize that it is up to us if we want to restart human evolution.

I wonder if a common cause of depression might be when we suffer the disillusionment
    of realizing we have no power where we once thought we did.

And perhaps an antidote for that depression is to find ways to use the power that we do have.
    And we do have power - once we stop playing their game and come together to create our own.

For that very purpose, I'll be at the Occupy Town Hall meeting in Sebastopol on Monday. See you there?

CSummer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ubaru: View Post
    My astrology today says, "Painful Truths," as I watch the Iowa Caucus results come in and realize/remember that there's a lot that goes on between the voter and the media reported totals that is generally overlooked unless someone is trained by someone as savvy as Bev Harris of www.blackboxvoting.org to video tape and do the arithmetic and accounting necessary to have an accurate vote.
    Will someone please remind me what the Secretary of State's job is if not to ensure accurate and transparent elections and vote counting?

Ok, it's up to us in this brave new world.

I'm going to bed early 'cause I'm depressed,
    Liz

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3

Re: Painful Truths: The Iowa Caucus and "Oh, I Forgot We Don't Have Real Elections Anymore

Liberty minded people of all political persuasions, if we are to have democracy, we must go beyond promoting this or that candidate. We must step up and volunteer to oversee vote counting in every precinct. Because otherwise, any candidate not endorsed by the 1% doesn't have a chance.

I haven't been to www.blackboxvoting.org since 2004, but I realize now that I should have spent a lot more time there, and financially supported it too.

Bev Harris who put the site up around the same time electronic voting was implemented, became an expert in how to audit the vote counting. She has set up very clear instructions and video tutorials for how to do it. If you're looking for a way to work for American democracy, this is a very worthy area to participate. I've posted how to do this in Political Action Alerts.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CSummer:
    "Ok, it's up to us in this brave new world."

Exactly, and now might be a good time to recognize that it is up to us if we want to restart human evolution.

I wonder if a common cause of depression might be when we suffer the disillusionment
    of realizing we have no power where we once thought we did.

And perhaps an antidote for that depression is to find ways to use the power that we do have.
    And we do have power - once we stop playing their game and come together to create our own.

For that very purpose, I'll be at the Occupy Town Hall meeting in Sebastopol on Monday. See you there?
    I totally agree with and appreciate where you are coming from, Clint. We do hold the power. It's so important to go through the shift from playing their game to creating our own new paradigms.

I find myself going through that shift right now, mourning the loss of democracy and basic things we've had as Americans. I've never had an opportunity in my lifetime to vote for someone who feels like Thomas Jefferson. He and Ron Paul's ideas regarding the Constitution will never die, and are becoming ever more valued in this fascist environment.

Here's an article about vote fraud in Iowa:
    Romney Winning Votes Go Missing

Meanwhile there are many Ron Paul supporters who will go into all out Revolution mode over this. They're not going to just sit there and watch. Not that I advocate violence. But standing up to this non-violently, yes.

Liz
    Last edited by ubaru; 01-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    Opt-out of having a smart meter whether you have one now or not, anytime. 1-866-743-0263 24/7 Spread the word. More info here.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    handy

Excellent Butler Shaffer essay on this subject. And I LOVE the Terry Pratchett quote, worth restating separately:

"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order because it is better organized."

What Was Left Out of the Analysis

Recently by Butler Shaffer: War as a Lifestyle
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about answers.
    ~ Thomas Pynchon As I watched the TV bobble-heads trying to analyze the outcome of Tuesday’s Iowa caucuses, it became evident that those whose job it is to translate the agenda of the establishment to the rest of us could not explain the Ron Paul phenomenon. I doubt that any of these people are so intellectually dense as to miss the significance of what is occurring. I am inclined more to the opinion that the voices of the lockstep-media do understand that Ron Paul’s campaign is underlain by a fundamental questioning of the assumptions and policies that have long defined politics. But these same voices understand that they dare not allow such questions to be raised on their watch. For them to do otherwise would be to risk the well-paid jobs they have hawking the corporate-state interests, forcing them into a marketplace that might not provide them equivalent incomes or perks.
    For the sake of maintaining the status quo that defines establishment interests, Ron Paul must be marginalized, consigned to playing the role of a charismatic person able – like the Pied-Piper of Hamelin – to persuade young people to follow him. The institutional order can afford to treat Ron as an aging rock star – he and Elvis were born in the same year – but his thinking and his questions must be quarantined. Those over 65 years of age – of whose numbers, CNN tells us, only 11% voted for Ron – can be counted upon to defend the status quo. Far too many of them have lifelong ego identities, as well as Social Security and Medicare expectations, that make them wary of fundamental changes in political thinking. They remember previous elections such as the one in which George Bush I swept past Michael Dukakis on the question of whether Willie Horton should have been allowed a furlough from prison, but proceeded to commit further crimes. Like the high-school elections in which superficial glitz carried the day, the Horton issue placed no burden upon the minds of that year’s voters. Neither has the decision as to which of the six anti-Paul sock-puppets to support forced any troublesome analysis by most members of the "greatest generation."
    But the under-40 aged kids know better than most of their parents and grandparents. They are aware that the world in which they will spend their adult lives does not work the way it has been advertised. It is not designed to support the self-interested pursuits of which they dream. Indeed, it is structured in such ways as to assure that their lives, property interests, and purposes in the world are narrowly confined to serving the wealth and power ambitions of institutions over which they have absolutely no control or means of dissent.
    This younger generation also understands that unconscious, undirected forces are at work transforming the nature of the social systems through which we organize ourselves. The vertically-structured pyramid that is virtually synonymous with the institutional order and its chain-of-command authority, is rapidly being replaced by horizontally-interconnected networks of voluntary cooperation. The arising generation is learning that spontaneous, autonomous self-organization pervades the universe, including human society; that order can only be discovered and never imposed. They are beginning to understand that most important lesson from the study of "chaos" so well-expressed by Terry Pratchett: "Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order because it is better organized."
    Modern society is a wicked conspiracy against the young, a truth of which many of its members have become aware. In a world that is becoming increasingly decentralized – posing a major threat to the institutional establishment – coupled with a growing disenchantment with the old order, draconian efforts to reinforce the crumbling foundations of the corporate-state apparatus ought not surprise us. Only the dullest of minds can believe that SWAT teams, militarized police forces, torture, assassinations, endless detentions, hyper-inflationary systems of looting, an insistence on maintaining state secrets while denying individual privacy, wars against the entire world, and other forms of ruthless violence, will be able to restore the pyramidal structures in our world. Members of the institutional order continue to prattle on about "terrorism," but it is they who threaten the rest of us with terror in order to force our compliance with their interests and obedience to their authority. It is the corporate-state establishment that experiences the stark terror associated with the demise of its racket! This is why the "war on terror" will last forever – as George Bush II told us: the vertical power-structure can no longer be sustained, and neither "all the king’s horses" nor "all the king’s men" can do anything about that fact.
    This is the message the established order does not want people to hear, accompanied by the kinds of questions it does not want asked. For just as it is impossible to un-invent nuclear power, it is impossible to un-ask questions. This is what the institutionalists fear about Ron Paul: it is tolerable to suggest that the emperor is naked - that, after all, can be corrected by a subsequent election – but not the empire itself!
    There is a peaceful, decentralizing revolution going on not only in America, but in the rest of the world. For lack of a better explanation, I think of the energies driving this as emanating from a life force in nature that resists its own destruction. We have been able to tolerate the kinds of foolishness that arise from the "extraordinary popular delusions and madness of crowds" that often beset us. Life is resilient enough to avoid many of the adverse consequences of fantastic thinking, much as creative businesspeople are able to circumvent even the goofiest of government regulations.
    It would totally misconceive the nature of the changes transpiring in our world to try to explain them as something dreamed up by Ron Paul. Ron knows – as do so many others – that the energies boiling beneath the surface of events are being directed by no one. No more than Martin Luther King nor Rosa Parks "caused" the black civil rights movement; nor Cindy Sheehan the anti-Iraq war demonstrations, has Ron been some kind of "instigator" of social change. He has been a very vocal and focused exponent of these transformations, a kind of lightning-rod attracting the pent-up energies of millions of individuals. Whether he wins the Republican nomination or gets elected president is, to my thinking, secondary to the enormity of what he has already accomplished: he has been able to get ordinary men and women to ask the kinds of questions that have not been asked for many decades, and that cannot be un-asked!
    The electronic kapos who breathed a collective sigh of relief that Ron Paul didn’t "win" in Iowa totally missed the point (as they are well-paid to do). The comments I heard emphasized what they considered the "importance" of a third-place finish that captured "only" 21% of the votes.
    I cannot help but think of the successes Ron Paul has thus far achieved without contemplating the impact his efforts might have on the lives of my children and grandchildren. Nor can I resist thinking back to the works of that great anti-statist, Albert Jay Nock, who regarded his efforts as being to help care for those independent and intellectually focused men and women he called "the Remnant." These are the people who, following the collapse of civilization, will be the ones who will "build up a new society" based upon the "august order of nature." In my law school classes, conferences at which I speak, and numerous e-mails I receive, I find so many – particularly among the young – who may become part of this Remnant.
    I do not presume to know the thinking of those who cast their votes for Ron in Iowa, but I cannot help wondering about the impact on our world of those who comprised "only 21%" of those voting. As the cable-channel babblers chided Ron for being "impractical" (i.e., his ideas do not serve our corporate-state masters to whom we long ago sold out), I thought about how peaceful our world might have been if Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Pol Pot, and Mao, had faced an intellectually principled and focused group of "only 21%." By contrast, Milton Mayer’s post-World War II experiences in Germany – written in his classic They Thought They Were Free – illustrates how deadly can be the pursuit of "practical" ends when devoid of a moral dimension to one’s actions. Ron Paul is running for the presidency because of his moral principles. The six sock-puppets are running only to get elected to power.
    In a world in which decentralized social systems grounded in individual liberty are confronted by well-funded corporate-state forces bent on preserving their coercive power over others, it is important for those of us who believe in peaceful means to express ourselves in personal ways. Many of Ron Paul’s critics truly do not understand that his campaign is being driven from the bottom up. Four years ago, a man who described himself as not being political, undertook to build a "Ron Paul" blimp which was used in various locations around the country. Ron has often been asked, by the professional politicians, "how did you organize all of this?," to which he has honestly replied "I didn’t; my supporters did this on their own."
    People with a top-down mindset cannot fathom that individuals can organize themselves around a candidate or a cause wholly on their own. In a pyramidal world – such as Plato offered centuries ago – someone has to sit atop the pyramid directing the behavior of others. Who that "someone" is always turns out to be the loudest exponent of pyramidism!
    If we, as individuals, are to make the case for the cause of peace and liberty, we need to direct our resources to sustaining those who provide decentralized, non-institutional expression of our values. The kids who traipse around the country to attend Ron Paul events are doing more than chasing after a celebrity. They are the most visible expressions of that most moral of social principles: life belongs to the living, not to the corporate-state!
    I used to get e-mails from people who said, in essence, "thank you; I thought I was the only one who thought this way and almost gave up hope." I now get e-mails telling me how encouraging it has been to find out that so many others – as seen on LRC – also think this way. The young people – perhaps Nock’s Remnants-in-training – need the encouragement that comes from the decentralized, horizontally-networked society of free and peaceful people. One way to do this is to donate money – or even a blimp, if you have a spare one around – to such sites as LewRockwell.com, Antiwar.com, or the Independent Institute.
    I derive no compensation whatever from my efforts on behalf of LRC. I write for the same reason that other people play golf: I just can’t do otherwise. But I do know that the institutional order will continue to pump whatever amount of money they deem necessary for the preservation of their corporate-state system. I also know that they fear the life-forces that work beneath the surface of events to return life and human society to the living.

January 6, 2012
    Butler Shaffer [send him e-mail] teaches at the Southwestern University School of Law. He is the author of the newly-released In Restraint of Trade: The Business Campaign Against Competition, 1918–1938 and of Calculated Chaos: Institutional Threats to Peace and Human Survival. His latest book is Boundaries of Order.
    Copyright © 2012 by LewRockwell.com. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit is given.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: