Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Dear Landlord
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    celia sanchez

Dear Landlord

A quick suggestion to landlords ( and/or tenants, for that matter) to check at the county courthouse in the clerk's office computers for any applicants to rentals you may be listing (or applying to as a prospective tenant). I discovered this resource when I was standing in line there in the endless course of an eviction I was undertaking and found the name of the tenant along with a page-long list of previous legal encounters, including another eviction little more than a year before. word to the wise....
    Last edited by celia sanchez; 12-09-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Dear Landlord

Thanks for sharing this info, Celia! All landlords should also be sure to check out this this thread about a notorious tenant!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by celia sanchez: View Post
    A quick suggestion to landlords ( and/or tenants, for that matter) to check at the county courthouse in the clerk's office computers for any applicants to rentals you may be listing (or applying to as a prospective tenant). I discovered this resource when I was standing in line there in the endless course of an eviction I was undertaking and found the name of the tenant along with a page-long list of previous legal encounters, including another eviction little more than a year before. word to the wise....

3. TopTop #3
    Sativaluv

Dear Landlords,

If you are going to spend the time and effort checking the county records, may I ask the same for accepting pets and spending the time checking their previous landlord's references so that you may weed out the good from the unfortunate pet owners? It is extremely frustrating and stressful for those who consider them family members, train them to be well mannered and cannot afford to own property.

It is the number 1 reason for not adopting shelter animals: "It is just too hard to find a rental with a pet"

I get more frustrated than most because of my background and experience with pets combined with owning "large dogs" a Sweet Loving Golden "Aren't they BIG?" and a Retriever mix who's only crime seems to be making my dog total 2. Small dogs, yes small, even tiny small, especially tiny small dogs are statistically more likely to bite. They also bark more frequently. Unless the dog has an anxiety issue such as separation anxiety, very little damage is done regardless of size.

Cats show their anger by peeing in the most annoying places. They like to scratch furniture and walls and bring in dead animals to show their love. Any deposit lost due to pets has been solely due to a rescued cat. Which brings me to my major point, I have and always will expect a large security deposit because of them. It is understood.

There are those unfortunate pet owners that ruin it for the rest of us, but taking the time to reference previous Landlords about the care and behavior of prospective tenants pets is an easy way to separate us. I hope this does not result in not renting to cat and small dog owners but in a positive way to ease mine and others stress when rental hunting and ultimately in my dream of emptying all the shelters.

Thank you!

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #4
    lordbear

I would have preferred that the prior poster would have just left their posting as done after the first paragraph.

The rest of the post is an argument for various kinds of biases, all of which conflict with the premise of the opening statement. To whit; landlords should check references on people and their animals.

All that other stuff about cats and smaller dogs is... baloney. All pets, of all kinds, can have behavioral problems and or be destructive. I know perfectly-behaved small dogs, cats and other critters. Many (but certainly not all) shelter and rescue animals are problematic due to to their increased probability of a history of abuse, abandonment, neglect, being separated from mother too soon, behavior issues, health issues, and so on.

Let's all treat all rental residence applicants and their creatures with as much individual assessment and fairness as we can manage.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    Bear

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sativaluv: View Post

Dear Landlords,

If you are going to spend the time and effort checking the county records, may I ask the same for accepting pets and spending the time checking their previous landlord's references so that you may weed out the good from the unfortunate pet owners? It is extremely frustrating and stressful for those who consider them family members, train them to be well mannered and cannot afford to own property.

It is the number 1 reason for not adopting shelter animals: "It is just too hard to find a rental with a pet"

I get more frustrated than most because of my background and experience with pets combined with owning "large dogs" a Sweet Loving Golden "Aren't they BIG?" and a Retriever mix who's only crime seems to be making my dog total 2. Small dogs, yes small, even tiny small, especially tiny small dogs are statistically more likely to bite. They also bark more frequently. Unless the dog has an anxiety issue such as separation anxiety, very little damage is done regardless of size.

Cats show their anger by peeing in the most annoying places. They like to scratch furniture and walls and bring in dead animals to show their love. Any deposit lost due to pets has been solely due to a rescued cat. Which brings me to my major point, I have and always will expect a large security deposit because of them. It is understood.

There are those unfortunate pet owners that ruin it for the rest of us, but taking the time to reference previous Landlords about the care and behavior of prospective tenants pets is an easy way to separate us. I hope this does not result in not renting to cat and small dog owners but in a positive way to ease mine and others stress when rental hunting and ultimately in my dream of emptying all the shelters.

Thank you!

6. TopTop #5
    Sativaluv

Bear:

I am qualified to train dogs however it is the owners who really get trained and I prefer animals. Otherwise, I have pet sit, managed Holistic Pet stores and been around pets in some way for 35 years. I apologize for not detailing what my experience was in the first post or you would of understood that not one thing I stated was biased. I only state facts.

Look up the dog bite statistics. Yes, exactly, it says small breeds. Have you heard the term "yappy dog"? look that one up if it does not immediately bring a tiny endlessly barking dog into your head. There are the very well mannered Lap Dogs yet only a few can afford those bred to sit on the laps of Kings and Queens and they surely do not rent.

Shelter animals that are abused unfortunately do have issues. It is the reason I do not work as a Behaviorist at any because the real job is deciding between life and death.

Yeah, I COULD have stopped at the first paragraph but I took the opportunity to educate those without my experience and knowledge who care to learn and become wiser.

Also, you forgot to point out how many animals at the shelter have NO issues and make wonderful hassle free loving additions to the family.

I forgot to point out it isn't the owner usually when there are breed restrictions or a no pet policy sometimes but evil, uncaring insurance agents. It normally goes, pay an extra amount, usually a quite large or no pets or no certain breeds (of whom all are very misunderstood.)

Peace

Any sympathetic landowning ears: I am looking and frustrated and attaching my "four legged babies"
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand  

7. TopTop #6
    Sativaluv

I just have a suggestion and a few misunderstandings to clear up.
    NATURE'S MIRACLE does get out cat pee odor I gaurentee just make sure it saturates the rug to the floor. It is a
    neutralizing enzymes.

I don't want to take their rights away, it was merely an appeal that hopefully will be granted by some
    The point was to use references to WEED out the disrespectfull owners.

Also Nature's Miracle has a great skunk odor one.

In 2 years of selling this not one return or complaint. I use it too.

Peace
    _