Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sharingwisdom

North Bay Mail Facility is to close-please read

For those who live in N. CA & have the Zip codes starting with 954 or 949, they are closing our North Bay Mail Facility without notice as required...the USPS is to notify affected customers and hold a public input meeting. Were you notified? I wasn't until the American Postal Workers Union Redwood Empire Area local sent me a postcard, which I received today, and the meeting is over.

This action will not only delay our delivery of mail and packages by at least one day, but we will have to pay high Express Mail rates if we want prompt delivery. This is actually happening all over the country with the closure of other facilities. https://about.usps.com/streamlining-operations/area-mail-processing.htm You have until the 12/3 to write, which as you notice, is Saturday. I'm sending mine off on Friday. Go to https://www.facebook.com/StopTheClosure.NorthBay for more info.

Below is the letter I wrote if you want to use it as a basis.

Theresa Lambino
    Manager, Consumer and Industry Contact
    San Francisco District
    PO Box 193000
    San Francisco, CA 94188-3000

December 2, 2012

Dear Theresa:

Just yesterday, I received a postcard from the American Postal Workers Union, Redwood Empire Area local, saying that the Zip Codes starting with 954 or 949 would be having their mail sent to Oakland first to be processed as the North Bay Mail Facility was closing. What I find very disconcerting is that the USPS is required to notify affected customers and hold a meeting for public input, and no one I know was notified. I now read that the meeting is over. That doesn’t seem like an appropriate way to support customer service and input, which the Postal Service seems to want to base its reputation on.

In allowing for this kind of planning without proper due process of public response, if I want prompt mail delivery, I have to pay high Express Mail rates as this closure will be delaying my 1st class mail by at least a day…checks, bills, packages, movies, absentee ballots and everything else affected.

I wonder how many postal workers will be laid off or invited to move to a new location in this difficult economy. I hope there is time to reconsider this closure, to stop it now.

Thank you for your attention,
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    sharingwisdom

Re: North Bay Mail Facility is to close-please read

More info on this development: U.S. Postal Service seeks to end next-day mail
    excerpt
    https://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/05/us-usa-postal-overnight-idUSTRE7B41X220111205

The agency expects to eliminate about 28,000 jobs as part of the processing facilities plan, said David Williams, USPS vice president for network operations.

The closures would require the Postal Service to adjust its current delivery standards. First Class mail would be delivered in two or three days instead of one to three, with the exception of some pre-sorted mass mailings.

Delivery times for most other more expensive classes of mail, such as Priority Mail and Express Mail, would not change, Williams said. A First Class letter now costs 44 cents.

Williams said the Postal Service's market research found that many customers do not expect overnight delivery of letters sent outside their towns or zip codes.

"They're already choosing speed. They're choosing electronic bill payment, they're choosing electronic communication via the Internet and email," he said.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sharingwisdom: View Post
    For those who live in N. CA & have the Zip codes starting with 954 or 949, they are closing our North Bay Mail Facility without notice as required...the USPS is to notify affected customers and hold a public input meeting. Were you notified? I wasn't until the American Postal Workers Union Redwood Empire Area local sent me a postcard, which I received today, and the meeting is over.

This action will not only delay our delivery of mail and packages by at least one day, but we will have to pay high Express Mail rates if we want prompt delivery. This is actually happening all over the country with the closure of other facilities. https://about.usps.com/streamlining-operations/area-mail-processing.htm You have until the 12/3 to write, which as you notice, is Saturday. I'm sending mine off on Friday. Go to https://www.facebook.com/StopTheClosure.NorthBay for more info.

Below is the letter I wrote if you want to use it as a basis.

Theresa Lambino
    Manager, Consumer and Industry Contact
    San Francisco District
    PO Box 193000
    San Francisco, CA 94188-3000

December 2, 2012

Dear Theresa:

Just yesterday, I received a postcard from the American Postal Workers Union, Redwood Empire Area local, saying that the Zip Codes starting with 954 or 949 would be having their mail sent to Oakland first to be processed as the North Bay Mail Facility was closing. What I find very disconcerting is that the USPS is required to notify affected customers and hold a meeting for public input, and no one I know was notified. I now read that the meeting is over. That doesn’t seem like an appropriate way to support customer service and input, which the Postal Service seems to want to base its reputation on.

In allowing for this kind of planning without proper due process of public response, if I want prompt mail delivery, I have to pay high Express Mail rates as this closure will be delaying my 1st class mail by at least a day…checks, bills, packages, movies, absentee ballots and everything else affected.

I wonder how many postal workers will be laid off or invited to move to a new location in this difficult economy. I hope there is time to reconsider this closure, to stop it now.

Thank you for your attention,
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: