Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    WaccoBB Poet Laureate

Climate Disorder Therapy

Even though I no longer practice as a psychotherapist, I do still keep an eye on our collective psyche. One of the things I notice is a growing level of anxiety that I believe can be partly attributed to climate change. I would like to suggest that the American Psychological Association consider several new classifications of mental and emotional disorders.

Climate Change Anxiety Disorder (CCAD).

Characterized by:

• Desire for long hours of reality television and infomercials.
    • Prolonged eating binges of Captain Crunch and Frosted Flakes which leads to self-loathing.

Environmental Guilt Disorder (EGD)

Characterized by:

• Living in the dark.
    • Selling all appliances
    • Existing on soy beans and filtered water.

Environmentally-Induced Depression (EID.)

• Hard to diagnose because patients disappear.
    • Most live under their beds or in the dog’s quarters.

Climate Change Denial Syndrome (CCDS).
    Seen primarily in state and federal governmental officials.
    Characterized by:
    Passionate desire for clean coal technology, off-shore drilling, expanding nuclear power, and championing higher oil subsidies.
    I would suggest that the most beneficial treatment seems to be mitigation (which also will prevent the onset of these conditions.)

• For example:

Taking a plane to Europe? Use those miles to see Paris. But send a check to a worthy environmental organization such as the Climate Protection Campaign which is doing big things to turn climate change around.
    Driving to Connecticut to see grandma? She will give you hell if you don’t come, so pull out your checkbook before you leave and make us all happy.
    Buying a new car that gets less than 50 mpg? Pile 8 soccer kids in your mini-van because we know they will get fat if they don’t exercise. But drop a nice donation in the mail as well.

You can help stamp out these crippling disorders and also achieve some significant reductions in our greenhouse gases. To see the critical work that you will be supporting, check out our programs and our Sonoma Clean Power initiative.

Here’s to better mental health.

Sincerely,
    Larry Robinson

If you would like to make a donation click here: Donate Now

PS: A gift of $50, $75, $100 or more will allow us to make our $15,000 match, expand the impact of your contribution and relieve your conscience! Donate now>

Climate Protection Campaign
    P.O. Box 3785
    Santa Rosa, CA. 95402
    (707) 525-1665

www.climateprotection.org

Our Mission: To inspire, align and mobilize action in response to the climate crisis. We work with business, government, youth and the broader community to advance practical, science-based solutions for significant greenhouse gas reductions.

Build a positive future! Become a Climate Sustainer today.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-15-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: Climate Disorder Therapy

Because I love the Poem a Day, and because this was funny, I had to donate $50.....of course it's a great cause, too.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Larry Robinson: View Post
    Even though I no longer practice as a psychotherapist, I do still keep an eye on our collective psyche. One of the things I notice is a growing level of anxiety that I believe can be partly attributed to climate change. I would like to suggest that the American Psychological Association consider several new classifications of mental and emotional disorders.

Climate Change Anxiety Disorder (CCAD).

Characterized by:

• Desire for long hours of reality television and infomercials.
    • Prolonged eating binges of Captain Crunch and Frosted Flakes which leads to self-loathing.

Environmental Guilt Disorder (EGD)

Characterized by:

• Living in the dark.
    • Selling all appliances
    • Existing on soy beans and filtered water.

Environmentally-Induced Depression (EID.)

• Hard to diagnose because patients disappear.
    • Most live under their beds or in the dog’s quarters.

Climate Change Denial Syndrome (CCDS).
    Seen primarily in state and federal governmental officials.
    Characterized by:
    Passionate desire for clean coal technology, off-shore drilling, expanding nuclear power, and championing higher oil subsidies.
    I would suggest that the most beneficial treatment seems to be mitigation (which also will prevent the onset of these conditions.)

• For example:

Taking a plane to Europe? Use those miles to see Paris. But send a check to a worthy environmental organization such as the Climate Protection Campaign which is doing big things to turn climate change around.
    Driving to Connecticut to see grandma? She will give you hell if you don’t come, so pull out your checkbook before you leave and make us all happy.
    Buying a new car that gets less than 50 mpg? Pile 8 soccer kids in your mini-van because we know they will get fat if they don’t exercise. But drop a nice donation in the mail as well.

You can help stamp out these crippling disorders and also achieve some significant reductions in our greenhouse gases. To see the critical work that you will be supporting, check out our programs and our Sonoma Clean Power initiative.

Here’s to better mental health.

Sincerely,
    Larry Robinson

If you would like to make a donation click here: Donate Now

PS: A gift of $50, $75, $100 or more will allow us to make our $15,000 match, expand the impact of your contribution and relieve your conscience! Donate now>

Climate Protection Campaign
    P.O. Box 3785
    Santa Rosa, CA. 95402
    (707) 525-1665

www.climateprotection.org

Our Mission: To inspire, align and mobilize action in response to the climate crisis. We work with business, government, youth and the broader community to advance practical, science-based solutions for significant greenhouse gas reductions.

Build a positive future! Become a Climate Sustainer today.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

3. Gratitude expressed by: