Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Shocking high salaries of some charity CEOs (Red Cross, United Way, Unicef)

As you open your pockets for your next charitable contribution, please keep these facts in mind:

· The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans'
    salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses.

· The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE . Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization. 96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans,their families, and youth!

The Veterans of Foreign Wars National Commander receives a
    $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Disabled American Veterans National Commander receives a
    $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Military Order of Purple Hearts National Commander
    receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Vietnam Veterans Association National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-10-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Shocking high salaries of some charity CEOs (Red Cross, United Way, Unicef)

Thank you, Sara S, for posting this.

I just wanted to double your efforts, so that more people may see this.

Part of what is meant by "vote with your dollars" is to be informed
    about who we're supporting, whether it's charitable contributions, food, gas,
    clothing, pet supplies...any and all of the places we spend our dollars.
    (see repost below)

Your charitable contributions
    As you open your pockets for your next charitable contribution, please keep these facts in mind:

salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses. [snip]
    Last edited by Barry; 10-10-2011 at 05:38 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    theindependenteye

Re: Your charitable contributions

These are interesting figures. But before directing my few paltry charitable bucks in one direction or another, I think I'd want to know more about (a) the net worth of the people who are in the zero-salary category, (b) what they actually do in the organization (that is, is the National Commander a figurehead or an actual CEO), and (c) the other activities of the organization. Charlton Heston was head of the NRA, but he certainly didn't need a cent from that outfit; perhaps he was slaving in his office for the group every day, but more likely his actual work was confined to making some fire-eating speeches; and some might question the overall social impact of the NRA. Some of the veterans' groups mentioned here have been at the forefront of promoting the government policies and the wars that have resulted in producing the need for their charities.

Certainly, it's important to see how your money's being spent, and executive compensation is one part of that, as is the overall cost of the organization's infrastructure. But that too is dependent on what the services actually are. The Metropolitan Opera is a non-profit company, and it could be said that *all* of its revenue, both earned and contributed, goes toward paying administrators, artists, carpenters, designers, etc., and not one cent to the audience itself — but its function isn't to deliver meals on wheels, it's to offer opera. Indeed, if UNICEF's only service to the world is what they do with 5% of its income, that's pretty shameful, but I'd first look at what the services are and how that figure is derived.

Respectfully,
    Conrad

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    rekarp

Re: Shocking high salaries of some charity CEOs (Red Cross, United Way, Unicef)

This claim about UNICEF is a complete crock. Their audited financial reports are published online, and show that the program expenditures are greater than 90% of total expenses. There is no way anyone would tolerate a 95% expense rate, especially from one of the most efficient and respected charitable institutions in the world.

Ron

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    This claim about UNICEF is a complete crock. Their audited financial reports are published online, and show that the program expenditures are greater than 90% of total expenses. There is no way anyone would tolerate a 95% expense rate, especially from one of the most efficient and respected charitable institutions in the world.

Ron
    Ron is correct. Snopes lists this as "MOSTLY OUTDATED AND INACCURATE" (https://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp)

I should have known better to allow this in General Community in the first place and fact checking it. It seems to me that most of the viral emails you/me/we receive are misleading at best, and often false. Please don't pass them on and please don't post them here.
    Quote As you open your pockets for your next charitable contribution, please keep these facts in mind:

salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses....

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Sciguy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post

salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses.

A few years ago, Samuel Epstein, MD wrote a scathing expose of the American Cancer Society, Cancer-Gate, revealing what a tiny portion of collected funds actually went to studying cancer. See a review at: https://www.preventcancer.com/public...ancer-gate.php

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Ewww. Sorry! I thought it had been verified...

Sara

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Ron is correct. Snopes lists this as "MOSTLY OUTDATED AND INACCURATE" (https://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp)

I should have known better to allow this in General Community in the first place and fact checking it. It seems to me that most of the viral emails you/me/we receive are misleading at best, and often false. Please don't pass them on and please don't post them here.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    ingrace28

To me, the biggest offender is the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). President Wayne Pacelle in particular. His salary, his jumping into bed with Michael Vick are especially offensive . They rake in so much money, it's obscene. They show pictures of sad abuse cases (some they never had anything to do with) to pull heartstrings and America throws their money at them...save the animals! They even used a picture of a dog in dire straits, got who knows how much $$$ to save him, BUT the DOG WAS ALREADY DEAD! They still used the picture & it wasn't even their case.
    Most people see these sad commercials and THINK (mistakenly) that their money is used to help animals in need in OTHER, INDIVIDUAL humane societies also. They THINK there is a "trickle down" effect, that the HSUS is an "umbrella" organization for all the other groups. This is not true. They are lining their pockets with your donations. The fact is that annually, very few county humane societies see any of those donations and the few that do see a paltry sum. They also do very little hands-on work with animals. It would seem that all they think about is bringing in more money. They've turned into a corporation.
    It's an honest mistake, donating, thinking it helps the animals. Ask our local Sonoma Co. Humane Society how much they had "trickle down". You'd be surprised at the answer. They are on their own, depending on donations from the community, us. THAT'S where your $$ should go. Donate locally if you really want to help.

15. TopTop #9
    Shandi

BEFORE you contribute, check this out!

I used to work for a wealthy woman who contributed a lot to charity.

Her guide was the
    Charity Navigator, which lists the breakdowns of where the money goes.

It's a conscious person's guide to giving.

Last edited by Barry; 10-14-2011 at 04:16 PM.

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: