Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Sonoma Co. Redwoods V. Red Wines

https://trip.worldtravellist.com/201...rsus-red-wines

August 28, 2011
    By nick
    The redwood tree and the wine grapevine are both iconic in Northern California. Two wineries are petitioning the state to let them clear redwoods and Douglas firs to make room for new Pinot Noir vineyards. Environmentalists want the trees protected.

Chris Poehlmann, right, with fellow environmentalist Peter Baye, says: “We are not going to let them rip these trees out by their roots, change the soil chemistry with amendments and develop neighborhoods so that these forests will never grow back.” (Louis Sahagun / Los Angeles Times)

Two plants have long been iconic to Northern California: the soaring redwood tree and the lush wine grapevine. But should one be sacrificed for the other?

That question is being raised in Sonoma County a few miles from the Pacific and above the fog line, where two large wineries are petitioning the state to allow them to clear 2,000 acres of redwoods and Douglas firs to make room for new Pinot Noir vineyards.

Sonoma County planners say it would be the largest woodland-to-vineyard conversion in California’s history and, not surprisingly, it’s touched off a debate between fans of the majestic trees and aficionados of the grapes.

On one side are vintners eager to satisfy the public’s growing taste for California Pinot Noir, a varietal that has a growing fan base and is part of the post-recession rebound of the state’s wine industry.

On the other are environmentalists who want to protect the ecosystem of second-growth forests still recovering from earlier logging and even some winemakers, who are uneasy with the idea of cutting down redwoods to expand their industry’s reach.

Codorniu, based in Spain and one of the world’s largest wine producers, wants to use the land to expand the grape production of its winery in Napa, called Artesa. Another Napa winery, Premier Pacific Vineyards, wants to cultivate more Pinot Noir grapes and build 60 high-end estates on adjacent lands it already owns, called Preservation Ranch.

For more information click on the link above.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Imagery

Re: Sonoma Co. Redwoods V. Red Wines

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post

August 28, 2011
    By nick
    The redwood tree and the wine grapevine are both iconic in Northern California. Two wineries are petitioning the state to let them clear redwoods and Douglas firs to make room for new Pinot Noir vineyards. Environmentalists want the trees protected.

Chris Poehlmann, right, with fellow environmentalist Peter Baye, says: “We are not going to let them rip these trees out by their roots, change the soil chemistry with amendments and develop neighborhoods so that these forests will never grow back.” (Louis Sahagun / Los Angeles Times)

Two plants have long been iconic to Northern California: the soaring redwood tree and the lush wine grapevine. But should one be sacrificed for the other?

That question is being raised in Sonoma County a few miles from the Pacific and above the fog line, where two large wineries are petitioning the state to allow them to clear 2,000 acres of redwoods and Douglas firs to make room for new Pinot Noir vineyards.

Sonoma County planners say it would be the largest woodland-to-vineyard conversion in California’s history and, not surprisingly, it’s touched off a debate between fans of the majestic trees and aficionados of the grapes.

On one side are vintners eager to satisfy the public’s growing taste for California Pinot Noir, a varietal that has a growing fan base and is part of the post-recession rebound of the state’s wine industry.

On the other are environmentalists who want to protect the ecosystem of second-growth forests still recovering from earlier logging and even some winemakers, who are uneasy with the idea of cutting down redwoods to expand their industry’s reach.

Codorniu, based in Spain and one of the world’s largest wine producers, wants to use the land to expand the grape production of its winery in Napa, called Artesa. Another Napa winery, Premier Pacific Vineyards, wants to cultivate more Pinot Noir grapes and build 60 high-end estates on adjacent lands it already owns, called Preservation Ranch.

I can only hope that Mother Earth defends herself. With Efren "F*ck the Environment" Carillo bought and paid for, and unfortunately, how easily influence can be brought to bear by large corporations who control government, we will have to rely on Mother Earth being able to fight back.

I'd bet $20 that regardless of how many protests there are, the greed of those we've placed in office to represent the COMMUNITY will listen only to the corporations who have money to keep them in power. My bet is that this project winds up being approved...anyone care to bet?? I'll throw another $10 in betting that Carillo votes for the project, citing whatever line he's been given by his corporate handlers.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    BayAreaBabe

August 28, 2011
    By nick
    "The redwood tree and the wine grapevine are both iconic in Northern California. Two wineries are petitioning the state to let them clear redwoods and Douglas firs to make room for new Pinot Noir vineyards. Environmentalists want the trees protected.

Two plants have long been iconic to Northern California: the soaring redwood tree and the lush wine grapevine. But should one be sacrificed for the other?"
    Oh most certainly. I choose the most rare, native species everytime. Redwoods were here first and must be protected from the wineries that are spreading like kudzu across Marin county. I'm amazed at the number of grapevine carpets that have sprung up smothering our iconic oak-crowned hillsides over the past decade. It's getting so I don't recognize parts of this area anymore when I visit from the East Bay.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4

August 28, 2011
    By nick

Thanks for your attention on this very important issue!

I would like to see someone make a list of the best and worst environmental stewards in the wine grape biz, so we can boycott, or reward those who deserve it.

Paul Hobbs would be on the top 5 of the list for the worst in our region. I know someone who will walk out of a restaurant if they serve Hobbs or Artesa wines. Some folks were putting pressure on Whole Foods until they stop stocking that brand; but unless this is sustained, we will get no desired results.

Please speak up every chance you get; then the market will need to respond to our demand for businesses who honor protection of our precious natural resources, as well as, social responsibility.

Much thanks,

Colleen Fernald

California's Constitutional Candidate for PEACE!
    United States Senate2012
    campaignforpeace.org

8. TopTop #5
    edie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BayAreaBabe: View Post
    Oh most certainly. I choose the most rare, native species everytime. Redwoods were here first and must be protected from the wineries that are spreading like kudzu across Marin county. I'm amazed at the number of grapevine carpets that have sprung up smothering our iconic oak-crowned hillsides over the past decade. It's getting so I don't recognize parts of this area anymore when I visit from the East Bay.
    Redwood trees and wine grapevine might be both iconic to Northern California but the grapes need the watering and spraying (that toxic stuff will eventually end up in our watershed)- native animals are cut off from their natural habitat or being shot.

Every fall the beautiful Cedar Waxwings came flying in in large groups of fifty or more to stay for two weeks or so to pick their berries from brush and trees. There was not one of these birds sighted in the past two years. I learned that vineyard-workers shot them at the number of a hundred, or more?

The landscape in Northern California has so changed it is sickening sad and scary how nature is turning into a dead wired up grid. The balancing act is out of proportion- greed is taking over.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Magick

Invitation-Please come to the Board of Supervisors meeting when this appears on the agenda.

Question-Will people on wacco commit to coming?

I mostly see the same hardworking activists trying to keep the last redwoods from being cut.
    On Wacco there's too much talk too little action. Its not personal to anyone on wacco just a general observation.
    Just not utilizing this tool to its max.
    I've read discussion after discussion and then when it comes before our council or the board where are you guys?
    I think its pretty much a no-brainer, if a corporation is trying to make money while destroying our natural world and our communities we need to stop them.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-10-2011 at 05:26 PM.

11. TopTop #7
    edie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Magick: View Post
    Invitation-Please come to the Board of Supervisors meeting when this appears on the agenda.
    Question-Will people on wacco commit to coming?
    I mostly see the same hardworking activists trying to keep the last redwoods from being cut.
    On Wacco there's too much talk too little action. Its not personal to anyone on wacco just a general observation.
    Just not utilizing this tool to its max.
    I've read discussion after discussion and then when it comes before our council or the board where are you guys?
    I think its pretty much a no-brainer, if a corporation is trying to make money while destroying our natural world and our communities we need to stop them.
    Does the SIERRA CLUB, NRCD, ENVIROMENTAL DEFENSE Offices- all in San Francisco know about this project?
    Can we collect signatures? Anyone good in putting something like this together? Whom can we contact there? I am not very good yet in researching names to contact... I have the feeling this is too big for the Board of Supervisors and will not have the power to change a thing.

12. TopTop #8
    BayAreaBabe

I live in the East Bay but will make an appearance wherever it will do the most good, be it San Francisco or Sebastopol. Just need to know where & when.

13. TopTop #9
    WaccoBB Poet Laureate

Twilight in Hendy Woods

This is the hour of magic
    When this world and the other world*
    Touch in a lingering kiss
    And a deep stillness settles over all things.

This is the hour of magic*
    When the Earth,*
    For one eternal moment, holds its breath*
    Before turning from the sun.

This is the hour of magic
    When, if you listen
    With an open heart and a quiet mind,
    You can hear the Ancient Ones, the elders of the forest

Telling the old stories:
    Of the chainsaw massacres and the fires;
    Of the great ice ages and the birth of mountain ranges;
    Of the times long past when they were many and covered the Earth.

They are leaving us now.
    When they are gone,
    Who will tell these stories?

-*Larry Robinson

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #10
    Imagery

Well, a piece of good news. Efren Carillo might not get a chance to f*ck the environment and vote for big business on this one. It looks like someone at CALPERS took an interest in this project, and they're pulling out their investment in this company of eco-terrorists.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...lis-threatened

16. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

17. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    Well, a piece of good news. Efren Carillo might not get a chance to f*ck the environment and vote for big business on this one. It looks like someone at CALPERS took an interest in this project, and they're pulling out their investment in this company of eco-terrorists.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...lis-threatened
    This is a potentially HUGE WIN!

18. TopTop #12
    edie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    This is a potentially HUGE WIN!
    ... winning time is good- also the environmental impact report will take time.
    But their goal is to get it done however long it takes, including the residential development of 61 up to 160 parcels?

Also close by are 146 acres to be turned into vines by the Spanish Napa based Artesa/ Groupo Codorniu which is one of the dozen largest group worldwide!

Will it be the beginning of what happened with the Santa Rosa hills? Twenty or so years ago you could hardly see a house on these hills. Give it an other ten or twenty years and they will look like the Berkeley-Oakland hills except with some vineyards in between.

The ocean-range-hills should be preserved as a state park, that would be the right thing to do. Redwoods shouldn't ever be cut down! The question would be, who has the money to buy the land and keep it as is?