Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    soothsayer

West County Bound to be Very Nice Retirement Community No Youth, No Vitality.

Hello West County,
    As a young person with a young family trying to find a place to rent in West Sonoma County, I am quite frustrated. There is no doubt this is a beautiful and wonderful place full of beautiful and wonderful people, but it is becoming increasingly difficult for any hard working young people to make it in this area. The rent is simply too high. I foresee in the near future that the young people (what's left of them) that are interested in growing food and creating community are going to go else where, leaving the middle aged, upper class liberals, who only have the time and energy to speak of such ideals, (or at best plant a couple tomatoes), to remain. Please tell me I'm wrong.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: West County Bound to be Very Nice Retirement Community No Youth, No Vitality.

Happy to oblige. You are wrong.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    soothsayer

Re: West County Bound to be Very Nice Retirement Community No Youth, No Vitality.

Oh Good!! Glad to hear it. Now if I can just find a place to live!

5. TopTop #4
    Magick

I think your concerns and your assessment are accurate and i suggest that young people get involved in local government to help create housing. If you had a chance to read my Guest Commentary in the Sonoma West you will note I spoke of this very issue.https://www.sonomawest.com/articles/...f594582307.txt
    A few years back we had a multi-generational activist group that was mainly young people called the Green Block but in recent years I haven't seen youth and young adult engagement. That group was instrumental in local issues and one of the members became mayor. Green Block helped create a forum on the war, demonstrate against the WTO and participated in much work locally to stop pesticide use and start organic gardens through youth volunteer efforts.
    We also were practicing and learning consensus based decision making which is an amazing tool when you have people who truly understand the process and its purpose of supporting and activiting programs that demonstrate common values we all share.
    If youth wants to dive in I would be glad to help with understanding local govt and how to get your issues into the public eye.
    We have more affordable housing then we used to but still not nearly enough. I am excited to see young folks who care and love the land and want to make their values a lifestyle. Thanks for bringing up the issue. Yours in Truth, Magick

Quote Posted in reply to the post by soothsayer: View Post
    Hello West County,
    As a young person with a young family trying to find a place to rent in West Sonoma County, I am quite frustrated. There is no doubt this is a beautiful and wonderful place full of beautiful and wonderful people, but it is becoming increasingly difficult for any hard working young people to make it in this area. The rent is simply to high. I foresee in the near future that the young people (what's left of them) that are interested in growing food and creating community are going to go else where, leaving the middle aged, upper class liberals, who only have only the time and energy to speak of such ideals, (or at best plant a couple tomatoes), to remain. Please tell me I'm wrong.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    Glia

You're not wrong, unfortunately. The same thing happened in my home county on the central coast of California.

Hello West County,
    As a young person with a young family trying to find a place to rent in West Sonoma County, I am quite frustrated. There is no doubt this is a beautiful and wonderful place full of beautiful and wonderful people, but it is becoming increasingly difficult for any hard working young people to make it in this area. The rent is simply to high. I foresee in the near future that the young people (what's left of them) that are interested in growing food and creating community are going to go else where, leaving the middle aged, upper class liberals, who only have only the time and energy to speak of such ideals, (or at best plant a couple tomatoes), to remain. Please tell me I'm wrong.

8. TopTop #6
    anathstryx

Hello West County,
    I think casting aspersions on "middle-aged, upper class liberals" isn't very helpful or an accurate assessment of the situation.

I certainly agree that rents are ridiculously high and landlords impose so many conditions and restrictions that you practically need to be a Stepford android to move in anywhere. My husband and I often joke about the rental postings, especially here on Wacco. No pets, no children, no smoking, AAA+ credit rating and references AND (here's the joking part...or is it?) no meat eaters, no sound-makers, no farting.....blissful 8x10 yurt for $1500 a month, first, last, security deposit. Suitable for one person who is independently wealthy. Must be an enlightened being with no human attributes. Auras must be extinguished by 10PM.

So I feel for you there, Soothsayer.

But, in case you haven't noticed, the economy sucks for just about everybody right now and, as one of a couple of hard working, elderly, lower class liberal people whose kids left the nest fifteen years ago (and who still have energy to nurture ideals that sprouted way before you were a gleam in your parent's eyes and actually grew twelve tomatoes this year), I can assure you that young, hard working families aren't the only ones having a tough time here, there, and everywhere across the country. While understanding that doesn't mitigate your frustration, it might help readjust your perspective. Most of my lower class liberal friends have had to scrabble in the dirt and against the odds for years to enjoy the benefits of living here..."a beautiful and wonderful place full of beautiful and wonderful people" and most of us will still be here when those who don't understand the cost of Eden have moved away.

9. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

10. TopTop #7
    tommy

you're not right or wrong.

The nature of reality is something else.

Good luck to you & your family.

Hello West County,

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #8

One of the best ways to find what you want is to get out into the community. Stroll the farmers market, looking for young local farmers. Talk to them. I know several who do not own their land and have found great opportunities. There are a lot of off-the-main-grid treasures, a lot of word-of-mouth deals and such. If you want, badly enough, to be part of this place work at it until you make it happen. It's not Ross. It's not Mill Valley. It's not even Healdsburg. And with luck, it never will be. Don't have time to offer more advice now.

13. TopTop #9
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by anathstryx: View Post
    I think casting aspersions on "middle-aged, upper class liberals" isn't very helpful or an accurate assessment of the situation.

I certainly agree that rents are ridiculously high and landlords impose so many conditions and restrictions that you practically need to be a Stepford android to move in anywhere. My husband and I often joke about the rental postings, especially here on Wacco. No pets, no children, no smoking, AAA+ credit rating and references AND (here's the joking part...or is it?) no meat eaters, no sound-makers, no farting.....blissful 8x10 yurt for $1500 a month, first, last, security deposit. Suitable for one person who is independently wealthy. Must be an enlightened being with no human attributes. Auras must be extinguished by 10PM.

So I feel for you there, Soothsayer.

But, in case you haven't noticed, the economy sucks for just about everybody right now and, as one of a couple of hard working, elderly, lower class liberal people whose kids left the nest fifteen years ago (and who still have energy to nurture ideals that sprouted way before you were a gleam in your parent's eyes and actually grew twelve tomatoes this year), I can assure you that young, hard working families aren't the only ones having a tough time here, there, and everywhere across the country. While understanding that doesn't mitigate your frustration, it might help readjust your perspective. Most of my lower class liberal friends have had to scrabble in the dirt and against the odds for years to enjoy the benefits of living here..."a beautiful and wonderful place full of beautiful and wonderful people" and most of us will still be here when those who don't understand the cost of Eden have moved away.
    Soothsayer, I have a 3 bedroom, 1 bath upper level in a duplex for rent in Monte Rio for $1250/mo. Close to the beach, bus, store. Beautiful woodsy setting, great funky old building with charm AND a washer dryer. Pets negotiable, but sorry, you have to smoke tobacco outside on the covered porch. Try finding that in Santa Rosa. Get back to me if you're interested.

14. TopTop #10
    BancheroTreeService

There are plenty of opportunity's for young people who are entrepreneurial. All of those older, wealthy liberals need or are going to need young folks to do more and more. The home health services industry is growing. People practicing permaculture are getting to be more and more in demand. The more expensive fuel gets the more people are going to want to hire accountants and other professionals working from home in West County. One of my friends is a book keeper for a southern California company and she works from her deck looking over Dutch Bill Creek.

When times get tough, the tough get creative.

I feel you though. I'm living in Camp Meeker on a 60 degree slope, under redwoods. It's been 3 years since I've planted a tomato :(