Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

The 6 Thinking Hats

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Thanks again for your kind words.

Hopefully some day I'll collect the essays I'm publishing monthly here on Wacco under the rubric "The Gospel According to Dixon" into book form. If you like my writing, you might want to check out those essays (if you haven't already). Also, if you put your cursor over the "Dixon" under my photo, you'll find a link to a list of all my posts of the last few years, and you can peruse those for your enjoyment. I've occasionally done that with Wacco ranters I found interesting (either in a positive or negative way).

Nope. I don't even know who he/she is.
    Thanks Dixon, when I get a break from my ongoing "discourses", I'll check you out.

I took a class many years ago, called "The 6 Thinking Hats" by Edward de Bono. It was given at
    College of Marin, and there were about 30 of us in the class, and I enjoyed it so much, I delved
    into his work a little more. I think his book would benefit many "thinkers" on WaccoBB. His general area
    is "mind tools", and teaching people how to think creatively, (out of the box) especially in problem solving.
    I've included some detailed info:
    Six Thinking Hats

Looking at a decision from all points of view

Take different perspectives.
    © iStockphoto/RoyalFive

'Six Thinking Hats' is an important and powerful technique. It is used to look at decisions from a number of important perspectives. This forces you to move outside your habitual thinking style, and helps you to get a more rounded view of a situation.
    This tool was created by Edward de Bono in his book '6 Thinking Hats'.
    Many successful people think from a very rational, positive viewpoint. This is part of the reason that they are successful. Often, though, they may fail to look at a problem from an emotional, intuitive, creative or negative viewpoint. This can mean that they underestimate resistance to plans, fail to make creative leaps and do not make essential contingency plans.
    Similarly, pessimists may be excessively defensive, and more emotional people may fail to look at decisions calmly and rationally.
    If you look at a problem with the 'Six Thinking Hats' technique, then you will solve it using all approaches. Your decisions and plans will mix ambition, skill in execution, public sensitivity, creativity and good contingency planning.
    How to Use the Tool:

You can use Six Thinking Hats in meetings or on your own. In meetings it has the benefit of blocking the confrontations that happen when people with different thinking styles discuss the same problem.
    Each 'Thinking Hat' is a different style of thinking. These are explained below:

• White Hat:
      With this thinking hat you focus on the data available. Look at the information you have, and see what you can learn from it. Look for gaps in your knowledge, and either try to fill them or take account of them.
    • This is where you analyze past trends, and try to extrapolate from historical data.
    • Red Hat:
      'Wearing' the red hat, you look at problems using intuition, gut reaction, and emotion. Also try to think how other people will react emotionally. Try to understand the responses of people who do not fully know your reasoning.
    • Black Hat:
      Using black hat thinking, look at all the bad points of the decision. Look at it cautiously and defensively. Try to see why it might not work. This is important because it highlights the weak points in a plan. It allows you to eliminate them, alter them, or prepare contingency plans to counter them.
    • Black Hat thinking helps to make your plans 'tougher' and more resilient. It can also help you to spot fatal flaws and risks before you embark on a course of action. Black Hat thinking is one of the real benefits of this technique, as many successful people get so used to thinking positively that often they cannot see problems in advance. This leaves them under-prepared for difficulties.
    • Yellow Hat:
      The yellow hat helps you to think positively. It is the optimistic viewpoint that helps you to see all the benefits of the decision and the value in it. Yellow Hat thinking helps you to keep going when everything looks gloomy and difficult.
    • Green Hat:
      The Green Hat stands for creativity. This is where you can develop creative solutions to a problem. It is a freewheeling way of thinking, in which there is little criticism of ideas. A whole range of creativity tools can help you here.
    • Blue Hat:
      The Blue Hat stands for process control. This is the hat worn by people chairing meetings. When running into difficulties because ideas are running dry, they may direct activity into Green Hat thinking. When contingency plans are needed, they will ask for Black Hat thinking, etc.
    A variant of this technique is to look at problems from the point of view of different professionals (e.g. doctors, architects, sales directors, etc.) or different customers.
    Example:

The directors of a property company are looking at whether they should construct a new office building. The economy is doing well, and the amount of vacant office space is reducing sharply. As part of their decision they decide to use the 6 Thinking Hats technique during a planning meeting.
    Looking at the problem with the White Hat, they analyze the data they have. They examine the trend in vacant office space, which shows a sharp reduction. They anticipate that by the time the office block would be completed, that there will be a severe shortage of office space. Current government projections show steady economic growth for at least the construction period.
    With Red Hat thinking, some of the directors think the proposed building looks quite ugly. While it would be highly cost-effective, they worry that people would not like to work in it.
    When they think with the Black Hat, they worry that government projections may be wrong. The economy may be about to enter a 'cyclical downturn', in which case the office building may be empty for a long time. If the building is not attractive, then companies will choose to work in another better-looking building at the same rent.
    With the Yellow Hat, however, if the economy holds up and their projections are correct, the company stands to make a great deal of money. If they are lucky, maybe they could sell the building before the next downturn, or rent to tenants on long-term leases that will last through any recession.
    With Green Hat thinking they consider whether they should change the design to make the building more pleasant. Perhaps they could build prestige offices that people would want to rent in any economic climate. Alternatively, maybe they should invest the money in the short term to buy up property at a low cost when a recession comes.
    The Blue Hat has been used by the meeting's Chair to move between the different thinking styles. He or she may have needed to keep other members of the team from switching styles, or from criticizing other peoples' points.
    It is well worth reading Edward de Bono's book 6 Thinking Hats for more information on this technique.

Key Points:

Six Thinking Hats is a good technique for looking at the effects of a decision from a number of different points of view.
    It allows necessary emotion and skepticism to be brought into what would otherwise be purely rational decisions. It opens up the opportunity for creativity within Decision Making. The technique also helps, for example, persistently pessimistic people to be positive and creative.
    Plans developed using the '6 Thinking Hats' technique will be sounder and more resilient than would otherwise be the case. It may also help you to avoid public relations mistakes, and spot good reasons not to follow a course of action before you have committed to it.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Dixon

Re: How to ignore Speak2Truth (and other users)

Thanks for sharing that stuff, Shandi. Just one point regarding this thing you said:
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    It allows necessary emotion and skepticism to be brought into what would otherwise be purely rational decisions.
    Consideration of emotional factors and skepticism aren't outside the realm of rational decision-making; they're part of it. Perhaps you and I are just using slightly different definitions of "rational".

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: How to ignore Speak2Truth (and other users)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Thanks for sharing that stuff, Shandi. Just one point regarding this thing you said:

Consideration of emotional factors and skepticism aren't outside the realm of rational decision-making; they're part of it. Perhaps you and I are just using slightly different definitions of "rational".
    This quote is from Edward deBono, and I think he was just describing that one of the "6 Thinking Hat's" considers
    emotional factors and skepticism, whereas his definition of pure "rational decision-making" does not
    consider these factors. This was used to illustrate the difference between the "thinking hats", and not
    definitive, except for his purposes in the book.

In the class, we used each "hat" separately to make decisions about the subject at hand. It was truly fascinating!

An example of your point would be helpful to me. Are you saying that consideration of emotional factors and
    skepticism are part of all rational decision making? How do you describe rational? I have to think about it
    to really know my answer, except for it's the opposite of "irrational" (crazy? illogical? ).