Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Zane, Carrillo look to remain supervisors

Efren Carrillo and Shirley Zane both intend to run for re-election next June. Some of Efren's votes have quite disappointing (most notably on the Dutra asphalt plant) but not always. He has now taken up the lead for Sonoma County to establish a Community Choice Aggregation power agency, similar to Marin Clean Energy, which is a big deal and big step in the right direction.

How do you feel about his record so far? Do you support him for re-election? Why or why not? Who would you like to see instead? Is there any indication if Rue Furch will run again?

How about Shirley Zane? How do you feel about her first term? Would you support her re-election?

Barry

Zane, Carrillo look to remain supervisors
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...CLES/107311093

Kendall-Jackson chef Justin Wangler, right, works on his meal as Sonoma County

Supervisors Efren Carrillo and Shirlee Zane stand in as sous chefs during Derby Day,
    a fund-raiser for the Council on Aging Meals on Wheels program held at Sonoma-Cutrer
    Vineyards in Windsor in 2009.
    PD File
    By BRETT WILKISON
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Last Modified: Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 8:45 a.m.

Current Sonoma County supervisors Efren Carrillo and Shirlee Zane are coming back for seconds.

The two first-time supervisors, who were elected in 2008, are both planning to run for re-election next June.

In separate interviews Friday about the county's redistricting plans, the supervisors confirmed their plans to run.

Zane, 51, who represents most of Santa Rosa and Rohnert Park, had been seen as a possible candidate in next year's race to fill the congressional seat held by Rep. Lynn Woolsey, D-Petaluma. But she said changes to that seat in the state redistricting process and unfinished projects at the county level led to her decision to stick around.

"I love local government and I don't want to be anywhere else," Zane said. She kicked off her campaign recently with a fundraiser that she said took in $30,000.

Carrillo, who serves as the board chairman, is also seen as interested in higher office. But the 30-year-old supervisor said he hopes to continue representing the west county after next year's election.

He'll kick off his campaign with supporters at an event in September.

Valerie Brown, the other supervisor whose term expires next year, has yet to announce her plans.

Candidates who've filed to run for the Sonoma Valley seat include Mark Bramfitt, an energy consultant and board member on the Valley of the Moon Water District and Sonoma Valley Citizens Advisory Commission, and Gina Cuclis, a communications consultant and former Sonoma planning commissioner who resides in Boyes Hot Springs.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Imagery

Re: Zane, Carrillo look to remain supervisors

Other than perhaps Paul Hobbs, I can't think of anyone that I'd like LESS to be in charge of making decisions for the West County. His voting record does NOT reflect the will of the individual, long term constituents in his district. I highly doubt that he's ever driven the back roads of his district, or talked with constituents in the areas that will be affected by the Dutra project.

This "Community Choice Aggregation Power Agency"? His involvement with that is a steaming hot pile of crap. His idea: "It's coming to election time, so let's make a show of pretending to give a damn about the environment". He so obviously doesn't, so don't believe his pile of crap, regardless of how he shapes it, paints it, and tries to sell it to you as a gold brick.

Anyone want to make a bet how he'll vote on the de-forestation project in Annapolis? Yeah, my money will be on him voting to approve having groves of redwoods ripped out so developers can plant more (guesses??) grapes. Anyone notice how he supports Hobbs' ripping out the scenery along the highway?

Anything he can do for business moguls. I'd like to see someone who believes in reaching out to constituents, listening to their opinion, and someone whose vote can't be bought by businesses and special interests. That person is definitely NOT Efren "F the environment" Carillo.

3. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

4. TopTop #3
    "Mad" Miles

Re: Zane, Carrillo look to remain supervisors

Carrillo has not only bent over backwards for development interests (look at who funded his election campaign) in the Dutra Asphalt Plant matter, he's also done so in regard to the Roblar Quarry, spring frost protection by vintners who suck water from the Russian River and the Hobbes/Jenkel mess (good point Imagery!).

He has a strong constituency in the Latino community, and that's a good thing for him, and perhaps for them (a more complicated question, and I won't speak for them). He's clearly a smart, ambitious, young man. He hasn't made any glaring gaffs, within the bounds of conventional electoral politics. He's the incumbent.

There is a solid constituency for industrial, real estate, business development in his district. Especially given the abysmal state of the economy.
    Those with the deep pockets will want to reward their loyal servant. He will be hard to beat.

It will take someone special to have a shot at defeating him. I hope we find them and back them. Not just to get him out, but to put someone in who will take a longterm environmentalist view, combined with a solid commitment to social and economic justice, and who doesn't just focus on appearing concerned while casting key final votes that benefit the land "development" part of our economy.

Shirley Zane is far less objectionable. Her personal tragedy and the stances she's taken have made her more appealing than Efren. There was her gaff on the "Ground Zero Mosque" controversy. That was a big blooper. But she comes off as sincere and not slimy.

After my reading of the news and attending a meeting of the Sups last fall where the Frost Abatement Plan was being pushed down the pipeline (thanks to the arrogant grower who tanked that poor compromise and brought the state into the matter, now they will have to document how much they suck out every spring to protect the monoculture, and they might be held personally accountable for overdoing it. Unlike now.)

I'm convinced there's vote trading going on with our five county leaders. I can't prove it, but given the shifts and final results, there is strong circumstantial evidence. This a very harsh charge I know. But it is my firm opinion. I highly doubt we'll ever find a smoking gun. They're too smart for that. At least so far....?

In the last election, two of the winners used slimy mendacious accusations to outrage and sway public opinion at the last minute. The development and financial services interests who dominate politics in this county, maintained their lock on the Board of Sups. Whatever happens in the next campaign and election cycle, expect more of those kind of false and inflated charges, designed to appeal to fear, anger and greed. If the economy is as bad, or worse (Thanks Tea Party Conservatives!!! Doing great, aren't you?!) such manipulation of public opinion will find ripe and fertile fields.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: