Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    dwert56

Need Help! Large dog taking medications

I am looking for someone experienced in giving medication to large dogs. I have tried all the tricks, she won't be fooled. I'm afraid she just needs to have her mouth opened and the pill popped in. I'm not strong enough to do it.

Is there anyone out there experienced in dog medication. I live in Sebastopol.

Thank you.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    mogue03

Re: Need Help! Large dog taking medications

Try Pill Pockets. You can get them at most pet stores.

lucy

3. TopTop #3
    alanora

Quote Posted in reply to the post by dwert56: View Post
    I am looking for someone experienced in giving medication to large dogs. I have tried all the tricks, she won't be fooled. I'm afraid she just needs to have her mouth opened and the pill popped in. I'm not strong enough to do it.

Thank you.
    I have a small dog who swallows large capsules of herbs if I just dip the end in peanut butter. Loves them......I give her 12 a day so it is good we found a way...Good luck, Mindy

4. TopTop #4
    2Bwacco

Try this? Buy some aged cheddar cheese, get a slice, i.e. at least 1/2" x 1" (big enough to surround the pill - then smoosh the cheese together). Your dog should not be able to even smell the hidden pill. Your dog should just gulp it down, no "questions" asked! Good luck! Try putting the pill into the cheese without having the pill touch it on the outside. again, hope this works!

Thank you.

5. TopTop #5
    350kitty

Something I learned on Dr. Oz:

To give a reluctant dog a pill, wet the pill first, push it in past the hump of the tongue, keep control of the dog's snout (not too tightly), and blow on the dog's nose a few times. This will cause the dog to lick its lips and swallow.

Then give the dog a syringe full of water to help the pill go down. Otherwise it can get stuck in the dog's esophagus for hours.

A long time ago I had to help give medication to a roommate's dog. My roommate showed me how to force the dog's mouth open and push the pill in past the hump of the tongue (as above). But one day I just put the pill in my hand and put it next to the dog's mouth -- and he just lapped it up, like a dog treat! I couldn't believe it. It worked from then on.

It doesn't always have to be hard.

Good luck!
    *** 350ppm *** 350ppm *** Food as Climate Action: Do it now - For everyone you love! *** 350ppm *** 350ppm ***

6. TopTop #6
    Philip Tymon

First, as others have said on here, try pill pockets or coating it in something extremely tasty.

A vet once showed me that there is a sort of "hinge" where the upper and lower jaws come together (you should be able to feel it). If you press on the hinge with one hand, often you can open the animals mouth fairly easily with the other (for a really large dog, it might take two people to do this, as you have to press on the hinges on both sides of the jaw). This does not hurt the animal, but usually makes it easy to open their mouth. Once the mouth is open, pop the pill in-- try to get it as far back and down the throat as you can. If you can get it fairly far back, now close the animals mouth and hold it closed for a few minutes. Usually, the animal will have a swallowing reflex and swallow the pill involuntarily. You might follow this up with some water or something really yummy-- both so the animal gets a reward and to ensure that the pill has gone down.

If nothing else works, ask you vet is there is some way to get the medication in a more easily administered form-- like in a liquid or subcutaneous injectible form.

Good luck.

Thank you.

7. TopTop #7
    DavidJohn

You might try Pill Pockets from a vet or a pet store. They are made of a delicious, flavored paste that is formed into little pouches. Put the pill into the pouch (if it does not fit, you can use a second pouch, and form the paste around the pill). I have seen cats and dogs eat them happily, even chew them up with the pill inside. Pets love them!

8. TopTop #8
    joanie

I have 2 big dogs and have had some in the past on frequent meds. The best method I have found is to bury the pill in some canned cat or dog food, something they find tempting, (make sure it's not stuck to the spoon) and once they've tasted a bit of it, maybe off your finger so they know it's good, FLIP THE SPOON UPSIDE DOWN so they can just lick it off. Try it first without the pill to see but I've found it's a natural lick and swallow, without any chewing. Good luck!