Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Leaf Blowers' "Deafening Roar" in today's Sonoma West

Artist and art gallery co-owner Sandy Eastoak has the following letter to the editor in today's Sonoma West.
    Shepherd

Deafening roar

Editor: I work at home. As I sit here at my desk, I am unable to work for the fourth time in the past three days because of the deafening roar of a leaf blower. I had believed that relief was coming and was gravely disappointed that our City Council backed down from their earlier intention to ban leaf blowers in Sebastopol.

Please note that a ban on commercial blowers won't save me from the ravages of residential blowers. Please don't fall for that "neighbors can work it out" excuse. Few people have the confidence to stand up to their neighbor's abuses when that abuse is seen as an accepted, even necessary part of current civilized life. And if, as often is the case, the perpetrator is ones landlord, the stakes are too high.

I lose several hours of work time every week because of the noise from leaf blowers. I have limited physical energy, making these hours critical to my livelihood. Many times the noise is so bad I actually have to leave home (as I would be now if I weren't in desperation writing this letter). If I'm ill or resting, this isn't an option. I don't think anyone knows how to assess the overall tension in our society that comes from constant invasion by noise from leaf blowers, weed whackers, lawn mowers, chain saws, and so forth. The cost to our collective mental and physical health is inestimable.

Besides the torment to quieter citizens, the pollution caused by leaf blowers is absolutely incompatible with Sebastopol's lip service to being Green. In addition to the pollution from the gas — and its completely unnecessary addition to global warming — there is the pollution of the dust blown about, often laced with pesticides and hydrocarbon runoff.

A vision of a small city of environmentally committed, socially responsible citizens simply does not include leaf blowers. It includes rakes and brooms, which are not only quiet, raise less dust, and spare the climate, but with a little bit of skill are actually far more efficient. There is no compelling practical reason to allow anyone to use a leaf blower in our town. There are countless reasons to stop.

Sandy Eastoak

Sebastopol
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: