Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    dsolnit

NE Seb Plan - Community Workshops May 19 - 27

Come contribute your ideas and expertise!
    NORTH EAST SEBASTOPOL SPECIFIC PLAN
    COMMUNITY & STAKEHOLDER WORKSHOPS
    presented by ecovision sebastopol coalition

friday - may 19 workshop 6pm to 9pm
    focus:design principles, the general plan and current city ordinances

monday - may 22 workshop 6pm to 9pm
    focus:circulation, traffic and parking

wednesday - may 24 workshop 6pm to 9pm
    focus:flood cooperation, waste water, impact on laguna, restoration

friday - may 26 workshop 6pm to 9pm
    focus:land-use, energy, buildings, affordable housing, local economy

saturday - may 27 workshop 10am to 2pm
    focus:create maps/documents for submission to DCE (the design firm working with the city council). facilitated by a community design team (to be announced). our submission deadline: june 1.

2 acre woods co-housing community common room @
    670 Robinson Road, off Hwy 12, a few blocks west of Main St.

information
    > This will be an opportunity to deeply address the issues and sustainable solutions for the future of sebastopol by working together to create input on the design of the Specific Plan.
    > Contact Xochi for more information 707-331-0806 or [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Deb

The Design Process

As a second year student of Interior Design at SRJC, a certified Feng Shui consultant and an independent student of Green Design, I would like to contribute a short overview of the process of design so that I can feel a little more on the same page with everybody.

Here is a sample of the steps involved in the design process as I have learned it. This is from my interior design class and has been reflected in my architecture classes as well. It is basic and can be modified to address any design problem but I think it is basic enough to see where we stand in the process and where we can be more clear.

Step 1: Problem Statement (clear identification and definition of the project)

Step 2: Programming (compilation and organization of all facts, criteria, objectives and constraints)

Step 3: Preliminary Schematic Design and Concept Development (written concept statement that addresses the dominant ideas and approach to a design solution)

Step 4: Presentation (to client for feedback and approval)

Step 5: Final Design Development and Documentation

Step 6: Implementation

Step 7: Evaluation

(steps 3 and 4 may be repeated several times before moving on to step 5)

So, where ARE we?

Step 1:

IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM

I think that one problem folks might be having as we move forward with “this process” is that Step 1 has not been clearly defined. Eco-vision has a mission statement that states “to facilitate community-wide participation in preparing a sustainable specific plan for Northeast Sebastopol” but from my conversations with Xochi it seems like there is a BIGGER vision that ECO-VISION is interested in which is about creating a “sustainable Sebastopol” I just want to be clear about what the problem is that we are addressing NOW, in these series of meetings. I would like to offer that the problem we are addressing is about creating a SPECIFIC PLAN FOR THE NE AREA.

Step 2:

COMPILE AND ORGANIZE THE FACTS, OBJECTIVES, CONSTRAINTS AND CRITERIA

I think is really important to recognize that where we are in the process is that, first and foremost, it is not OUR problem (it is the City of Sebastopol’s) and WE have NOT been hired to SOLVE it (the consultant’s have) We are actually engaging in Step 2 of the design process, that is: We are CONTRIBITING to the “compilation and organization of all facts, criteria, objectives and constraints” (And I think that this is the part of the process that the City and the Consultants have wanted to rush through.)

FACTS: ie) area, elevation, boundaries, existing buildings, zoning, etc.

OBJECTIVES: ie) provide an larger economic base for the City, provide more civic resources, provide more housing, be a model for sustainability (note: none of these objectives have been agreed upon or decided upon, they are just being added to the mix of info that the consultants must sort through to generate a plan) These can be better clarified by referring to the notes from the stake holders meetings. Many proposed objectives are conflicting. Can we identify and address these conflicts in a way that is clear and inclusive?

CONSTRAINTS: mostly set forth in the general plan and mother nature. This is a good place for us to get really clear. What constraints already exist? What constraints have not been identified?

CRITERIA: traffic, noise, energy, waste, esthetics, sustainability As Patricia has stated “So, criteria might be: No net traffic increase, energy self-sufficiency, green building design (LEED certified gold), no negative impact on the Laguna (including water table, food traffic), affordable housing (25% low to very low income; 25% medium income), zero waste, all buildings built paying workers the prevailing wage.“ It looks to me that the three meetings next week will be focusing on design CRITERIA. Great!

Step 3:

I just want to reiterate that it is the CONSULTANTS that are designing the SPECIFIC PLAN. We (and all other stakeholders) give them input and THEY create the plan.

Step 4:

They then report back to the City and the Public.

And on we go...

I would love to see some of these ideas translated into the agenda for Friday’s meeting. Specifically, I would see the first meeting to include a review of the FACTS, OBJECTIVES (ours and others), current CONTRAINTS, and proposed CRITERIA to make sure that everything is covered.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this perspective.
    I hope that it has been at (least somewhat) illuminating.

Blessings,
    Deb

3. TopTop #3
    Deb

Design Principles?

Design principles is one of the topics listed for tonight meeting. I would like some clarification on what is being referred to.

As an interior designer/artist I have learned the principles of design as:

Balance
    Scale and Proportion
    Harmony
    Rhythm
    Emphasis

I don't think that is what is being referred to here.

I have looked into Principles of *Urban* Design.
    This is from Milwaukee's plan:
    https://www.mkedcd.org/planning/plgldes.html

Principle #1: neighborhood compatibility
    Principle #2: pedestrian friendly design
    Principle #3: land use diversity
    Principle #4: transportation diversity

This is from "10 Principles of Good Urban Design: bdp.uk
    https://www.bdp.co.uk/urbanism/goodurban/principles.asp

And then there are the 7 principles of permaculture:
    https://www.heathcote.org/PCIntro/4Principles.htm

1 Conservation - Use only what is needed
    2 Stacking functions - In permaculture we speak about getting many yields (outputs) from one element (thing) in your system.
    3.***** Repeating functions - We meet every need in multiple ways.
    4 Reciprocity - Utilize the yields of each element to meet the needs of other elements in the system.
    5 Appropriate scale - What we design should be on a human scale and doable with the available time, skills, and money that we have
    6 Diversity - We want to create resilience by utilizing many elements.
    7 Give away the surplus - Create systems that are abundant and share the abundance rather than hoarding it for ourselves.

And THEN there is the World Summit's 10 Principles of Sustainable Development : (google principles sustainable development if the link doesn't work)

https://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...&client=safari

Objective of partnerships
    Voluntary nature/respect for fundamental principles and values
    Link with globally agreed outcomes
    Integrated approach to sustainable development
    Multi-stakeholder approach
    Transparency and accountability
    Tangible Results
    Funding arrangements
    Local involvement and international impact
    Follow-up process

So, my question is what exactly are we discussing when we are looking at "design principles" as listed as a topic for the meeting tonight? Or, is that the question that will be addressed?