Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #271
    Webb Pierce

Re: Article: Big Chase/CVS Threaten Small Town’s Future & Soul

Helen,

Suppose CVS/Chase allowed you to design the buildings in which they would do business. Would that be OK with you? Could the city then approve the project.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #272
    Hollyanna

Re: CVS/Chase Development Proposal

Update on tonight's public hearing:

After a lengthy presentation by representatives for the CVS and Chase developer (over 1 hour), public comments did not begin until just before 10:00 PM. Because this meeting went so late, Mayor Wilson announced that public comments will be allowed at the carryover hearing on on July 19th at the Sebastopol Community Center, beginning at 6:00 PM. This is very likely to be the last chance to make your voice heard. If you do not want to see this every time you head into Sebastopol from Santa Rosa, please show up and support our City Council and Design Review Board's rejection of this suburban style strip-mall project in our downtown. Click here for a complete look at the current plans.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 11.09.08 PM.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  24.7 KB

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #273

No one has talked about this yet. The first thing you'll see when you visit So much for our wine country destination.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hollyanna: View Post
    Update on tonight's public hearing:

After a lengthy presentation by representatives for the CVS and Chase developer (over 1 hour), public comments did not begin until just before 10:00 PM. Because this meeting went so late, Mayor Wilson announced that public comments will be allowed at the carryover hearing on on July 19th at the Sebastopol Community Center, beginning at 6:00 PM. This is very likely to be the last chance to make your voice heard. If you do not want to see this every time you head into Sebastopol from Santa Rosa, please show up and support our City Council and Design Review Board's rejection of this suburban style strip-mall project in our downtown. Click here for a complete look at the current plans.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 11.09.08 PM.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  24.7 KB
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand  

5. TopTop #274
    Hollyanna

Well, they did say they'd be adding some planters, so I guess it will be OK.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    No one has talked about this yet. The first thing you'll see when you visit So much for our wine country destination.

6. TopTop #275
    Shepherd

The PD's report on last night's public hearing was just posted on the PD and follows. Over 100 were there. The public hearing itself did not start until 10 p.m., by which time many people had to leave, and last for only 1/2 hour, so it will continue tomorrow, starting at 6 p.m., being the only item on the agenda. Most of the time before then was taken up by the developers. Please join us at the Seb. Comm. Center to speak up.

The 2 members of the Design Review Board who spoke, Lynn and Bob, were terrific. Jonathan Greenberg and Thomas Morabito also spoke and were wonderful, as were the few other speakers for which there was time.

If you want to get a taste of what it would be like to have the U.S.'s largest bank and 18th largest corporation anchoring our downtown commons, read the following line from its wordy attorney quoted below, “The efforts to stop this project with the denial of the design needs to stop tonight,” said Michelle Moore, an attorney for the developer, Armstrong Development Inc. of Sacramento." So now she is telling us what to do and not do in our small town. This is their arrogance and an insult to the democratic process. These bossy people are not welcome in our town.

We need you at this meeting. Please join us.
    Shepherd

CVS developer appeals design to Sebastopol City Council

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...p=all&tc=pgall
    By BOB NORBERG
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 7:17 a.m.
    Last Modified: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 8:13 a.m.

A Sacramento developer appealed to the Sebastopol City Council on Tuesday to approve the design of its controversial proposal for a CVS Pharmacy and Chase Bank branch at one of the city's busiest intersections.

“The efforts to stop this project with the denial of the design needs to stop tonight,” said Michelle Moore, an attorney for the developer, Armstrong Development Inc. of Sacramento.

Armstrong is asking the City Council to overturn the Design Review Board's rejection of the project's latest design, contending the design meets all requirements and the board erred in its denial.

The issue was being heard Tuesday in a public hearing that, after three hours, was continued until 6 p.m. on Thursday.

Armstrong is proposing to a 14,576-square-foot pharmacy and 4,327-square-foot bank branch on 2.4 acres at the site of the vacant Pellini Chevrolet dealership, at a cost of $10 million.

CVS and Chase would move to the new location, which is one of Sebastopol's most prominent and heavily traveled intersections, from locations elsewhere in the city.

Critics, however, contend that even the latest design is still out of character with Sebastopol's small town Main Street.

“The overriding, fundamental problem is site layout,” said Lynn Deedler, a member of the Design Review Board, who spoke before the council during the public testimony Tuesday night. “It is a suburban-style shopping center designed for cars and located in the center of town.”

Robert Beauchamp, another Design Review Board member, said that while Armstrong made a lot of revisions with things like color and reduced the height, it hasn't solved the problem.

“It takes more than a brick to make a building,” Beauchamp said. “The height of the building is still a massive 26 feet, it is still a big box.”

The latest design by Sebastopol architect Kevin Kellogg was rejected by the Design Review Board on May 30, the board's third rejection.

After the second rejection, Armstrong appealed to the City Council, but was sent back to the board by the City Council with a list of changes the council wanted.

In response, Kellogg redesigned the project, varying the roof heights, substituting a brick facade for of quasi-industrial metal siding, replacing parking with an larger plaza, installing clear glass windows and making the drive way on Petaluma Avenue one way into the complex.

“We believe this design is compatible with the Sebastopol neighborhood,” Kellogg said.

Supporters of the project also said it will bring additional revenue to Sebastopol and create jobs.

“The little bit of information I have about this project is it is likely to bring jobs, increase taxes and property taxes,” said Zilda McCausland of Sebastopol.

The public hearing will be continued and the City Council is expected to make a decision at a special council meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Community Center.

You can reach Staff Writer Bob Norberg at 521-5206 or [email protected].
    Last edited by Barry; 07-18-2012 at 06:07 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #276
    Hollyanna

This is it guys. Tomorrow's public hearing is most likely to be your last opportunity to be heard.

Public comment on the CVS/Chase development has been carried over to a special session tomorrow night (Thursday, July 19) beginning at 6:00 PM at the Sebastopol Community Cultural Center at 390 Morris St.

The City Council is under tremendous pressure to approve this project. They desperately need community support to urge them to stay strong and uphold the DRBs rejection of the plan.

Here's how you can help if you feel that CVS and Chase do not belong in one of the most prominent locations in our town:
    >>Attend the meeting and speak. If you are reading from a written copy, it's a good idea to bring one to leave with the City Council
    >>Send an email to the City Council members. Copy City Planner Kenyon Webster and City Clerk Mary Gourley. Emails for all are below.
    >>At the very minimum, send an email message with the following subject: "Reject CVS/Chase Appeal" and include your name and address in the body of the message.
    >>Ask your friends to do the same.

Communicate your own thoughts as you wish, but please remember that this hearing is only concerned with the decision to reject the CVS/Chase appeal. I have some suggested points to share if you want to send me a private message. I do not want to show our hand in this public forum.

Send your emails to:
    Guy Wilson, Mayor: [email protected]
    Michael Kyes, Vice Mayor: [email protected]
    Kathleen Shaffer: [email protected]
    Sarah Glade Gurney: [email protected]
    Patrick Slayter: [email protected]

CC to Kenyon Webster, City Planner: [email protected]
    CC to Mary Gourley, City Clerk: [email protected]

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #277
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Thanks for posting the mockup with the big CVS sign,eeeeeeow, which conveniently left off of the prior mock up. I sure wish new building permits and use permits would have to specify where all signage would be , including in-window temporary flyers, and include that in their renderings.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post

11. TopTop #278
    News Radio Tony

Re: CVS/Chase development proposal

The architect, Kevin Kellogg, talked with us on KSRO this morning, if anyone is interested. He seems confident that this is going to happen.
    Link to interview:
    https://www.ksro.com/Programs/KSROAM...tryID=10405625

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #279
    Shepherd

Re:CVS/Chase development proposal

It will happen over our civil disobedience, boycotts and bad local & national publicity. If you would like a point of view other than that of a member of the development team, you can reach me at (707) 829-8185. Shepherd

14. TopTop #280
    Hollyanna

A member of the community with a different take on the matter is scheduled to be interviewed this afternoon. Stay tuned for details.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by News Radio Tony: View Post
    The architect, Kevin Kellogg, talked with us on KSRO this morning, if anyone is interested. He seems confident that this is going to happen.
    Link to interview:
    https://www.ksro.com/Programs/KSROAM...tryID=10405625

15. TopTop #281
    Hollyanna

John Eder will be a guest on KSRO 1350 AM's The Drive with Steve Jaxon in the 4:00 hour.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #282
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

See a new article by Jonathan Greenberg that asks? Is the Sebastopol Planning Director Rigging the CVS/Chase Project?

Please post your comments about the article and that particular topic on that thread. Thanks!

18. TopTop #283
    dominus

We are being fiercely tested in a world which has little concept of stewardship.

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #284
    News Radio Tony

Prof. Bliss,

Okay, you're on. I have a spot at 8:15a.m. tomorrow, station number is (707) 636-1350, probably Curtiss Kim will be interviewing. I called but you did not answer, so, if you see this post, just respond and it will email me.

Maybe if one of you Waccos see Shepherd today, or know a better way to reach him, you can let him know.

Thanks!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    It will happen over our civil disobedience, boycotts and bad local & national publicity. If you would like a point of view other than that of a member of the development team, you can reach me at (707) 829-8185. Shepherd

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #285
    Hollyanna

Recap of last night's meeting:
    Public comment lasted for 3 hours and concluded at 10:30. This was followed by some comments by the CVS/Chase development team and then questions by the City Council. I left after about 15 minutes of that, so I don't know how much longer it went on.
    Tally: 61 speakers, 43 urging to deny the appeal ("no to CVS"), 17 urging that it be granted ("yes to CVS"), 1 that I couldn't determine.
    Mayor Wilson announced that the City Council needed additional time to review all of the emails that they received on the matter and will defer the decision until the next CC meeting on Aug. 7.
    Here's a link to the article in the PD.
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...9485?p=2&tc=pg

23. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

24. TopTop #286
    Beverly Schenck

Corruption in this county is rampant, back rooms deals and pay outs will continue to dictate the policies of Sonoma county. From the planning commission, supervisors and the courts. Big business will continue to control what is to be built and where. Don't fool yourselves this project will be built, boycotts and notional publicity only last as long as peoples memories, not very long. We need to restructure our planning dept and current policies makers, and get big business out of our local government, and make Sonoma county a better place to live. .

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #287
    Howard

Since the corruption, etc. is so rampant; you must have some first hand knowledge of these activities. In my mind, rampant would equate to 100's of times (please correct me if I've understated). Please provide your top three specific examples of when any of the appointed or elected officials you mentioned received a pay out or received some other remuneration. I'd think you'd want the DA to know unless you think she's in on it also.

Howard

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Beverly Schenck: View Post
    Corruption in this county is rampant, back rooms deals and pay outs will continue to dictate the policies of Sonoma county. From the planning commission, supervisors and the courts. Big business will continue to control what is to be built and where. Don't fool yourselves this project will be built, boycotts and notional publicity only last as long as peoples memories, not very long. We need to restructure our planning dept and current policies makers, and get big business out of our local government, and make Sonoma county a better place to live. .

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #288
    Helen Shane

Dear Howard: I know you don't like to spread this around, but it was you who first awakened me to problems of land use in Sonoma County some 20 years ago, and got me interested in local politics.

You now must have better things to do with your time than to try to bait me.

Fondly reminiscent
    Helen Shane

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Howard: View Post
    Since the corruption, etc. is so rampant; you must have some first hand knowledge of these activities. In my mind, rampant would equate to 100's of times (please correct me if I've understated). Please provide your top three specific examples of when any of the appointed or elected officials you mentioned received a pay out or received some other remuneration. I'd think you'd want the DA to know unless you think she's in on it also.

Howard

29. Gratitude expressed by:

30. TopTop #289
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post
    Dear Howard: I know you don't like to spread this around, but it was you who first awakened me to problems of land use in Sonoma County some 20 years ago, and got me interested in local politics.

Fondly reminiscent
    Helen Shane
    While I love seeing the warmth exchanged between you and our esteemed former honorable Mayor, Howard, I believe he was baiting Beverly Schenck, instead.

I presume Beverly's comment was in reply to the recent article we published by Jonathan Greenberg questioning Kenyon Webster's impartiality on the CVS project. I want to point out that there was no accusation, at least in the original article (it was edited today), of anything approaching corruption. But rather it was questioning whether Mr. Webster was acting completely impartially or not, without calling his motives for that into question.

I imagine I'll, and perhaps Jonathan and many of you, will have more to say about all this, especially now that the issue remains unresolved for several more weeks!

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #290
    Magick

The following is what I said at the City Council hearing on Thursday....I hope you share my sentiments and if you do let the council and the Pellinis know...in the spirit of consensus, Magick

You all know I have opposed this project, Tonight I want to offer a different perspective. So far this has divided us I believe it can unite us.

Small towns like our own are doing everything they can to stay afloat, more than anything else we need to find our common ground as a community and find ways to mend fences and build alliances.
    Over and over again, we have found ourselves divided when the possibility of a purchase and development of land has arisen.
    I am asking everyone here tonight to consider a way to build bridges across this divide.
    We are facing two challenges, first it is important to acknowledge the contribution the Pellini’s have made to Sebastopol, coming out of a time when what was good for business was good for America it is easy to understand that private property was considered the paramount consideration. And our society’s understanding of what makes a sustainable community has changed. Our General Plan describes how we want to grow together. There’s an emphasis now on making communities sustainable and supporting local businesses
    I can understand the reasoning of those who support the sale and development of this land to CVS/Chase.
    The Pellinis want security and appreciation for being good citizens.
    They deserve that.
    What if we as a community worked together to find the right steward for this crossroad in the center of our town? What if the core project helped create an invitation to prospective buyers and public relations folks helped promote it. What if we all used our connections and put out the word. We could put up designs at the site in an artistic way that would beautify that corner now.
    What if we ended the battle and found the common values we share. We all want clean air, less traffic; a town that supports small, locally-owned businesses that will help us thrive and be a place for future generations.
    The second challenge is to support our council as they take on this difficult decision and recognize their dilemma about how to fulfill the mandate of our general plan and to carefully consider the wisdom and expertise of Design review board.
    Everyone on the Council wants to serve this town and its people. They do not want to be glared at by either side. They would like to make a decision in which all of our concerns are honored.
    With this solution in mind they could deny the project and we could all roll up our sleeves and get to work.
    It is not too late, and I hope the folks from Armstrong, CVS and Chase will recognize the courage of our small town to own self-determination.
    Right now with the bank disasters, foreclosures, the drought across America, the privatization of our schools, parks and post offices we need to have each other’s backs and not become bitterly divided.
    A house divided cannot stand, we are in this together, we need each other.
    This solution is my offering of an olive branch to bring us together.
    Another world is possible and it will be created community by community as we leave a world where we are constantly pitted against each other, to a world where all members and the natural world are living in harmony once again.
    May it be so!

33. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

34. TopTop #291
    photolite

I see no baiting here. I see a reasonable mind responding to hysterical rantings. When such outrageous allegations are made, which occurs here all too often, it begs "put up or shut up". Howard, being the gentleman that he is, was more delicate in his phrasing.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post

Fondly reminiscent
    Helen Shane

35. TopTop #292
    Shepherd

The attempt by Chase/CVS/Armstrong to anchor Sebastopol's downtown commons has implications far beyond this one town.

Small town Sebastopol is on the front-lines of a national battle against Chase Bank, CVS Pharmacy, and Armstrong Development. I was glad that a couple of speakers on July 19 from Petaluma mentioned the similar struggles they are engaging in against Chase and CVS.

"From one store in a small town," brags Armstrong on its California Regional Office website, "we now develop CVS pharmacies in nine states. We've constructed over 400 locations, with more than 150 sties in the development pipeline." To Armstrong, Sebastopol is simply a "development pipeline."

"In the next five years, we anticipate completing retail developments valued at over a half billion dollars," brags Armstrong. "The CVS effort is our entry point for additional development." Down the street from the current two and a half acres that CVS/Chase covet is an abandoned lumberyard--also an opportunity to lenghten the intended suburban strip mall and end Sebastopol's small town charm.

With its strong-arm tactics, Armstrong brags that It can "quickly locate and open multiple sites." So it must be a big disappointment to them that they have been unable in over two years to get permission to invade our small town. The next and perhaps final City Council meeting is scheduled for August 7, starting at 6 p.m. We welcome residents from all over Sonoma County and elsewhere to see if the CC is willing to uphold the decisions by the Design Review Board and Planning Commission to reject this development.

In my interview now scheduled for Monday morning at 7:45 on KSRO radio I plan to speak to these larger issues. Sebastopol is experiencing what farmer/author/poet Wendell Berry talks about in his writing in terms of threats to agrarian culture and local economies.

36. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

37. TopTop #293
    theindependenteye

"From one store in a small town," brags Armstrong on its California Regional Office website, "we now develop CVS pharmacies in nine states. We've constructed over 400 locations, with more than 150 sties in the development pipeline."

Shepherd, I like your typo. Whether it's a sty in the eye or a pigsty in the barnyard, the plural is sties, and they ain't pretty.

And I appreciate being guided to Armstrong's development site. It makes crystal clear that, as you say, the issue extends far beyond what retail businesses have the right to acquire the Pellini property. The soulless corporate behemoth is well-expressed in the design, which reminds me of a prison with a supersized parking lot.

OK, this is a high-ticket valuable property, privately owned. So was the old redwood grove near Occidental, and it took a huge (multi-year) court battle to halt the "harvesting" of these magnificent beings. The validity of a proper EIR and CEQA won the day, and The Grove of the Old Trees is a mini-Muir Woods close at hand.

For now. The family is filing another THP, a timber harvest plan. It ain't over yet.

https://www.sfgate.com/green/article...on-2771471.php

What would it take to develop a consortium and a plan that would reward the Pellinis financially, develop something in keeping with our own local flavor, and keep the profits in the community? If we accept that in this reamed economy the only ones with the money to do anything big are the ones who reamed us in the first place -- well, what then?

Elizabeth Fuller

38. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

39. TopTop #294
    dominus

This isn't a matter of CVS & Chase opening up new locations, they're here already. The DRB has turned down this project because it doesn't meet the aspects for downtown design. Instead, Armstrong (pardon the pun) brought in their attorneys to drive home the point that they will do what is ever necessary to get this project approved. I can't understand why an EIR isn't required, it should be. An EIR would determine that this project will result in a lot more traffic and possible accidents. That's inevitable. Why has this project gotten so far without an EIR?

40. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

41. TopTop #295
    theindependenteye

CORRECTION TO LINK: Google is fubar. I went back and checked my link to the sfgate article, which is actually from 2000, and Google not only headlines it as June 29, 2012, but all other similar articles have incorrect dates. Sorry 'bout that . . . no current threat to the grove, AFAIK. -- Elizabeth

42. Gratitude expressed by:

43. TopTop #296

As she often does, Magic spoke for me with these words; and she did it well.

Though several members of the public did not speak for me, when they were rude to her when her 3 minutes were up; and killed the wonderful spirit Magic had filled the air with. It was one of working together for the ideal solution.

Now; because of Thursday's meeting and the public process; new investors are willing to make other options available.

Let's see how we can put our minds around manifesting that. Chocolate, and organic produce facilities as just a start! How about a Green Garage, to kick start putting our community's patents and services focused on Sustainability further into motion; enabling healthy growth for our local economy?

In Peace,

Colleen Fernald

Candidate for PEACE!
    Sebastopol City Council 2012

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Magick: View Post
    The following is what I said at the City Council hearing on Thursday....I hope you share my sentiments and if you do let the council and the Pellinis know...in the spirit of consensus, Magick

You all know I have opposed this project, Tonight I want to offer a different perspective. So far this has divided us I believe it can unite us.

Small towns like our own are doing everything they can to stay afloat, more than anything else we need to find our common ground as a community and find ways to mend fences and build alliances.
    Over and over again, we have found ourselves divided when the possibility of a purchase and development of land has arisen.
    I am asking everyone here tonight to consider a way to build bridges across this divide.
    We are facing two challenges, first it is important to acknowledge the contribution the Pellini’s have made to Sebastopol, coming out of a time when what was good for business was good for America it is easy to understand that private property was considered the paramount consideration. And our society’s understanding of what makes a sustainable community has changed. Our General Plan describes how we want to grow together. There’s an emphasis now on making communities sustainable and supporting local businesses
    I can understand the reasoning of those who support the sale and development of this land to CVS/Chase.
    The Pellinis want security and appreciation for being good citizens.
    They deserve that.
    What if we as a community worked together to find the right steward for this crossroad in the center of our town? What if the core project helped create an invitation to prospective buyers and public relations folks helped promote it. What if we all used our connections and put out the word. We could put up designs at the site in an artistic way that would beautify that corner now.
    What if we ended the battle and found the common values we share. We all want clean air, less traffic; a town that supports small, locally-owned businesses that will help us thrive and be a place for future generations.
    The second challenge is to support our council as they take on this difficult decision and recognize their dilemma about how to fulfill the mandate of our general plan and to carefully consider the wisdom and expertise of Design review board.
    Everyone on the Council wants to serve this town and its people. They do not want to be glared at by either side. They would like to make a decision in which all of our concerns are honored.
    With this solution in mind they could deny the project and we could all roll up our sleeves and get to work.
    It is not too late, and I hope the folks from Armstrong, CVS and Chase will recognize the courage of our small town to own self-determination.
    Right now with the bank disasters, foreclosures, the drought across America, the privatization of our schools, parks and post offices we need to have each other’s backs and not become bitterly divided.
    A house divided cannot stand, we are in this together, we need each other.
    This solution is my offering of an olive branch to bring us together.
    Another world is possible and it will be created community by community as we leave a world where we are constantly pitted against each other, to a world where all members and the natural world are living in harmony once again.
    May it be so!

44. TopTop #297
    Hollyanna

We don’t advance our cause when we are ill prepared or discourteous. For the most part, the people who spoke in support of rejecting Armstrong’s appeal at last week’s hearings presented themselves well and were polite to those who didn’t share their point of view, but I was embarrassed when members of our “side” insisted on going overtime. Unless there are special circumstances (audience interruption, equipment malfunctions, a disability that slows the speaker down, etc.), none of us (on either side) are entitled to extra time.

I’m sure that the speakers didn’t feel this way, but when a person insists on extra time, it’s as if they’re saying, “The rules don’t apply to me. I am more important than you are, and what I have to say is more valuable than what you have to say.” It’s really unfortunate when people who have some great points dilute them (and lose the audience) by ending their presentation with a squabble over about being allotted extra time.

Each speaker gets 3 minutes to make a case. It’s not like we don’t know this going in. If this is something that we really care about, we should be willing to put in a little extra effort to prepare, practice, and have one short, powerful closing remark ready to use in case time runs out, so at least the main points will have been made. I realize that we’re passionate about this and passion is great, but I’d like to suggest that we don’t let it get in the way of presenting reasoned, thoughtful and concise arguments. We’d be taken a lot more seriously.

45. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

46. TopTop #298
    Shepherd

Small Town Sebastopol —
    Frontline Battle Against
    Chase Bank/CVS Pharmacy/Armstrong Developer

By Shepherd Bliss
    WaccoBB.net

Name:  No_CVS_Chase.png
Views: 1115
Size:  45.7 KB
    Small town Sebastopol residents in Northern California have been waging a fierce David vs. Goliath struggle against the powerful Chase Bank, CVS Pharmacy, and Armstrong Development for over two years. The implications of this struggle extend beyond this one town, as big business continues to seek to expand its wealth.

Attention in Sebastopol has been on Chase, the U.S.’s largest bank, and CVS, its 18th largest mega-corporation. They propose to anchor the downtown commons with what opponents describe as “a suburban strip mall.” Armstrong has been representing the real estate needs of Chase/CVS in Sebastopol, as well as elsewhere around the country, and needs a close study.

“Efforts to stop this project with the denial of the design need to stop tonight,” said Michelle Moore, an attorney for Armstrong at a July 17 City Council meeting, according to the local daily Press Democrat. Sebastopol’s Design Review Board (DRB) had already rejected the proposal twice, most recently by a 4-1 vote.

Armstrong’s attorney threatened and bullied nearly 200 residents of the town of 7,300 to shut up and take orders from Armstrong/Chase/CVS. She was apparently trying to subvert the democratic process of one-person one-vote and replace it by the power of big business.

Residents objected to someone coming from outside to tell them how to run their agrarian town, which exemplifies what would be likely to happen if the proposal is approved. The Planning Commission and City Council (CC) had also previously rejected the proposal for not conforming to the town’s General Plan, as well as design and planning regulations.

The reason the proposal is still on the table is the threat by the deep pockets of Chase and CVS to sue the town and its people. Sebastopudlians talk about fighting for “the heart and soul” of their town and “not selling it to the highest outside bidder.” They discuss tactics such as boycotts and civil disobedience to block Chase/CVS from dominating their charming downtown and ushering in other mega-corporations.

Opponents implore the CC to wait until a better offer, which conforms to the town’s regulations, comes along. Another nearby large development, the Barlow Project, has received substantial local support because it will provide spaces for many local businesses. The money would thus circulate locally rather than leave the area. The downtown already has enough credit unions and local banks, as well as a pharmacy.

Though the July 17 meeting that started at 6 p.m. was advertised as a “public hearing,” the developers talked for two hours. It was 10 p.m. by the time the patient public was allowed to speak; most people had gone home.

The hearing convened again on July 19, where 43 people spoke against the development and 17 for it. Those supporting the development were mainly older friends of the family seeking to sell its two and a half acre abandoned car dealership. The opponents included people from their early 20s into their 70s. Among them were half a dozen activists from Occupy Sebastopol, which still maintains a tent in the town square and organizes ongoing protests against Chase/CVS as one of its main objectives.

Activists complained that the development is car-centric, mainly a large parking lot with only two isolated stores, rather than pedestrian and bike friendly. They noted that the drive-through component would create greater pollution in the downtown commons and increase greenhouse gas emissions, thus worsening chaotic climate change. A study reported that traffic would be increased by at least 2000 trips a day in the county’s most clogged intersection. This would not be good for emergency vehicles, pedestrians, or bikers.

The next and perhaps final meeting on the proposal will be August 7, when the Council has indicated it will make a decision. After that it is expected that whichever side does not prevail may sue.

“Sacramento is the newest regional office of Armstrong,” according to its California Regional Office website. “California is being targeted for a saturation of CVS stores,” writes Yvette Williams, a member of Sebastopol’s Planning Commission, which has rejected the development.

The DRB was willing to work with Armstrong. However, it has basically ignored the feedback that it gets from the majority of citizens and town officials, only making a few cosmetic changes. Armstrong appears to be trying to strong-arm its case, preferring a litigious route to get what it wants.

“In the next five years, we anticipate completing retail development values at over half a billion dollars,” Armstrong’s website brags. “From one store in a small town, we now develop CVS pharmacies in nine states. We’ve constructed over 400 locations with more than 150 sites in the development pipeline. A similar development program exists with JP Morgan Chase Bank, with many sites in development across our region.” Chase and CVS are frequent partners around the U.S., as well as in paying millions of dollars in fines for illegal business practices.

Many federal regulators currently are investigating Chase for its CEO Jamie Dimon originally announced losses of around $2 billion dollars in June and then admitted in July that they were $6 billion or more. Chase is one of the big five banks responsible for the recent fall of the American economy. CVS has also paid millions of dollars in fines for failing to clean-up toxic wastes and other deadly crimes.

Armstrong adds, “We have long standing valued relationships with some of the national’s leading retailers that include Wal-Mart, Lowe’s Home Improvement Center and Target.” So if a city wants to be dominated by long-term relationships with such mega-corporations, Armstrong would be a good developer to hire.

But most Sebastopudlians have settled in a small town with a charming downtown commons because they prefer its agrarian flavor. A larger nearby city, Rohnert Park, has selected a corporate model, which has no town center where people can gather.

Sebastopol is the center of what is called the West County, with some 50,000 residents, of the coastal Sonoma County. It used to be known more by its natural description, the “Redwood Empire,” which many locals still call it. However, the commercial designation is now “Wine Country,” since it has the most lucrative wine industry in the U.S.

Armstrong’s website boasts that it can “quickly locate and open multiple sites.” Yet they have had to spend more than two years already and still do not have an approval in tiny Sebastopol, known as a “green” community with commitments to sustainability.

This controversy has already become a major issue in the Nov. 6 election, where two seats on the City Council are available. Of the four viable candidates, two have come out against the Chase/CVS development—businessmen Robert Jacob and John Eder. They support local business, rather than big business, which drains money out of the county.

Council member Kathleen Shaffer seeks to retain her seat. “Her support for the project from the outset has limited her ability to serve our city,” writes Jonathan Greenberg on the local waccobb.net website. Greenberg has reported for “Forbes,” “New York” and other publications and is CEO of a local communications company. He suggests that Shaffer not vote on this issue.

Two activists from the nearby Occupy Petaluma testified at the July 19 meeting. They indicated problems with CVS in their city and are also mounting a campaign against Chase. “If Chase goes ahead with this development in Sebastopol,” commented Amy Hanks of Occupy Petaluma, “we could target their stores around the county and develop boycotts to hurt their businesses. If we are displeased by their behavior, we can make them feel that displeasure where it hurts -- in their cash register.”

In nearby Santa Rosa--the largest city in Sonoma County with some 150,000 residents-- Occupy Santa Rosa has had an ongoing campaign against the big banks, including Wells Fargo, which is based nearby in San Francisco.

Provincial, backwater Sonoma County, on the edges of the metropolitan San Francisco Bay Area, is responding to the phrase “Big Banks Got Bailed Out. We Got Sold Out.” Some of its residents are fighting back against big banks and mega-corporations that feel they merit personhood.

(Shepherd Bliss teaches college, has operated a farm for the last 20 years, and can be reached at [email protected].)

47. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

48. TopTop #299
    dominus

The citizens of the Sebastopol community didn't block CVS from doing business in our town. Quite the contrary.

The Press Democrat published an article in January 2011 stating the following:

"Sebastopol again ranks near the top in the state for fatal/injury collisions among cities of comparable size, according to the state Office of Traffic Safety.

For 2009, Sebastopol ranked second out of 70 cities of 2,500 to 10,000 people with 67 collisions involving injury or death. Sonora, near Yosemite, ranked No. 1. In 2008, Sebastopol ranked fourth, with 54 such collisions.

The high ranking came as no surprise to Sebastopol Police Lt. James Conner. He said that with Highways 12 and 116 running through Sebastopol, traffic is unusually heavy for a small city and that most of the city’s collisions occur along those two roads."

https://sebastopol.towns.pressdemocrat.com/2011/01/news/heavy-traffic-puts-sebastopol-at-risk/

Please see the following taken from CEQA site.

"A Negative Declaration is a document that states upon completion of an initial study, that there is no substantial evidence that the project may have a significant effect on the environment.

A Negative Declaration can be prepared only when there is no substantial evidence in light of the whole record before the lead agency that the project may have a significant effect on the environment." (PRC §21080(c)), (14 C.C.R. §15070)

https://ceres.ca.gov/ceqa/flowchart/...cy/EIR-ND.html

Given this information, who conducted this initial study? And how did they determine in the face of concrete evidence that no EIR would be necessary at the crossroads of two state highways with such a significant proclivity for car accidents?

The Armstrong developers should never have gotten this far in the process. An EIR should have been required, NOT a negative declaration. I've no doubt an EIR would ascertain that a significant amount of traffic would result from this move. With an increase of more traffic, comes increased propensity for collisions both pedestrian and auto. More collisions can result in increased danger to individuals traveling in the area.

49. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

50. TopTop #300
    Attic

I wouldn't be apposed to a parking garage if it was connected by a road from the back of that property. I am apposed to Chase. Chase is an evil entity. I am not interested in giving Chase further footing in this town.
    Council Member Kathleen Shaffer

[email protected]

Please email Kathleen and let her know she will be loosing your vote if she continues to support the Chase Development.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    I'm a bit flabbergasted by parts of this. In a town that is ALWAYS complaining of insufficient parking this project is being taken to task for having too much!

Also, how many of the Barlow businesses front the street?

I can think of at least 2 very unattractive buildings added to the downtown in recent years that garnered no such objections regarding designs inconsistent with the look of the town, one of which sits almost directly across the street from the Pellini property and the other being just north of the core and occupied by a popular restaurant.

These issues seem to support rossmen's observations.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-08-2012 at 11:36 AM.