Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

Re: CVS/Chase development proposal

Bad dog.... my posting above is incorrect. This Wednesday's Design Review Board meeting will not be about CVS/Chase. I am told it will be about the Barlow project. The meeting regarding the CVS/Chase project will occur in August, with the date unknown by me at present (I have reached my quota of misinformation for the day).

The same thoughts regarding the CVS/Chase project still apply- what can we, as citizens, do to make a convincing case for a really high quality project that we might actually enjoy if it is "done right"?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #32
    Geni Houston

Whereas I think your overall idea is superb, I think you will have two minor obstacles, 1) getting all the citizens to agree on what is "high-quality" and 2) what is "fun-for-all".

Your final obstacle is finding someone with money to develop the project even if you did overcome 1 and 2.

A final note - I think I have seen several mentions of CVS expanding - and with initial meetings with the CVS representative - the actual idea was to DOWNSIZE with the smaller stores were more profitable (yes for them - but sales tax for us, too!) and more personable.

Final, final note, Barry why won't spell check work withing this text? I see the icon but no action.

4. TopTop #33
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by genihouston: View Post
    Final, final note, Barry why won't spell check work withing this text? I see the icon but no action.
    Spell checking should be done in your browser. Seems as though Internet Explorer (IE) still doesn't have it. (Microsoft never fails to amaze me!) If you are using IE I suggest you switch to Firefox! Otherwise this looks like free add-in spell checker for IE. Here's another one. I don't know anything about them, though.

Business come and go, but building tend to hang around longer. Given that the CVS/Chase largely meeting the zoning requirements, the city would be hard-pressed to have a credible excuse to deny the project.

I think both the site and building design are as-important or more as the tenants. I think this is a good opportunity to work with the developer to press for a downtown, pedestrian-friendly attractive design. I believe they are open to hearing and working with the community to come up with something acceptable. This would be a great time for progressive architects and other interested parties to come forward with some with some constructive suggestions!

5. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

6. TopTop #34
    scamperwillow

Re: In Our Backyard: CVS and Chase Bank Moving to Downtown Sebastopol

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    I don't understand how any of our so called "leaders" could love this place, if they allow two "Big Boxes Commercial Facilities" to dominate the sacred heart of West County. These belong in Rohnert Park, or Sacramento, where the developer is from, not this place that is so special. How could they despoil the central core of this area?

In my opinion, a better use would be a place for small consumer oriented businesses, for community facilities, non profits, open space. Why would they want to make this thorough fare, of Hwy 12 & 116, even more crowded, with more traffic?

Follow the money. Who owns this property? How much will they get? How much will the developer get? What about those of us who live here, who will be stuck with two greedy commercial "Too Big To Fail" dinosaurs in the middle of our belly?

Tomas
    Once again, I ask, where was everybody when this came before the council?? It does no good to whine here, you have to speak to the leaders and decision makers. Sarah G was looking for a reason to at least delay it but there was very little support in the audience which makes it harder to take a stand.

This is not about what the council would like to see on this property. It is about what the law allows. There was not much available in the general plan planning law that they could use to refuse it. But it is not over yet, so if you really care about this, get involved, talk to the decision makers and go to the MEETINGS.

7. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

8. TopTop #35
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Ditto, Barrie, although I only once bought something there; yeah, the "loss-leaders" in their ads look good, but when they first opened in Sebastopol and I needed an item that I didn't want to drive to WalMart for, that item was more than twice the WalMart price.

And for those of you out there who do the knee-jerk "WalMart=evil" dance:

WalMart was the number one corporate contributor to charities last year;

after hurricane Katrina, while all the government agencies were dilly-dallying around, WalMart was loading up 18-wheelers with supplies for New Orleans; and

the money I save shopping at WalMart enables me to give a scholarship in my son's name to an El Molino senior every year.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    I live on the western edge of Santa Rosa and had shopped at the Long's on Stony Point for years, always happy with the service, etc. After CVS bought out Long's it didn't take very long for me to become unhappy with what they offer. Their store brand merchandise is very poor quality, the dental floss labeled "Waxed Mint" was neither waxed nor mint, their brand of chapstick is poorly put together, the waxy stuff comes out of the tube and gets stuck in the lid. I could go on for a long paragraph. I help a schizophrenic friend stay on his meds, when he went in to pick up his pills the pharmacist informed him that his flu shot was also ready. You don't tell a paranoid schizophrenic that their shot is ready. So I have transferred his prescriptions to RiteAid & I don't buy anything at CVS. They have all sorts of trippy little coupons and sales, etc., that are more work than they are worth to keep track of. If you want a discount for bringing in your own bag, you have to buy a token to fasten to the bag, then you have to remember to check every sales slip to see when you have earned your discount. It's easier to shop somewhere else. I recommend that Sebastopol say NO to CVS.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-20-2011 at 02:54 PM.

9. TopTop #36
    dominus

I visited CVS today and spoke to an employee about the upcoming move. This individual is telling all her customers to contact the CVS Corporate Office and let them know that many people do not think this move is a good idea. The phone # is 800 746-7287 and they're back in Rhode Island.

I just called the C.O. & registered a complaint about CVS being the wrong business for the Pellini lot and shared that I believe their current location is an excellent fit. The developers of this upcoming project are from Sacramento and which tells me that they probably have little concern about how the traffic and congestion.

If you have a moment, please call. There is strength in numbers and CVS needs to know how the community feels about this move.

10. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

11. TopTop #37

Thanks, Dominus. I just phoned and the fellow was really friendly and polite and assured me he'd pass my comments on to the appropriate honchos.

I made the point that as a customer of CVS in its current location, I actually prefer to go there, as I can bypass the muddle of traffic in the "downtown" area. I explained that while our town is small, the circulation at that intersection is already quite congested, and that many citizens have concerns over that being an appropriate location.
    He was surprised to learn that the move was just 1.1 miles away! I took the opportunity to say that while the concept of "downtown" in the abstract sounds prime from the corporate perspective, in this case, it is less than optimal, and they are well placed as they are now.

I think it's a great idea for people who care about this to call CVS directly as Dominus has invited us to do.

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #38
    Weiser

What drives me bonkers about this thread is that there is no better way to determine whether or not a business deserves to be in a given community than if it survives in the market place. It isn't the job of city councils and planning commisions to make economic/consumer choices for people. Are you so weak that you just can't resist shopping at Wall Mart? You need the government to protect you from your own behavior? How weak can you get.

What businesses need to figure out is how to deliver the goods and services in a manner that people will be willing to consume at their establishments at a given rate. Enough of the protectionism. This goes for marijuana dispenseries also.

Mark

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #39
    zenekar

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Ditto, Barrie, although I only once bought something there; yeah, the "loss-leaders" in their ads look good, but when they first opened in Sebastopol and I needed an item that I didn't want to drive to WalMart for, that item was more than twice the WalMart price.

And for those of you out there who do the knee-jerk "WalMart=evil" dance:

WalMart was the number one corporate contributor to charities last year;

after hurricane Katrina, while all the government agencies were dilly-dallying around, WalMart was loading up 18-wheelers with supplies for New Orleans; and

the money I save shopping at WalMart enables me to give a scholarship in my son's name to an El Molino senior every year.
    ____

WalMart helped victims Katrina. That's good. Being the world's largest retailer they can afford to do it. They owe it to society, esp. considering their exploitation of their employees, not to mention people making their products in sweatshops in other countries. I recommend seeing the film "Why We Come" -- how predator WalMart puts small manufacturers and family businesses out of business in Mexico. The cost of cheap goods at WalMart comes at the expense of human suffering.

I understand when people with large families and little income are forced to go to WalMart out of a real necessity but if there is a choice, be aware of WalMart's practices that disrespects human dignity.
    ____

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #40
    scamperwillow

CVS at Design Review Board Aug. 3

Sarah Gurney and I recommend you make advance contact AND attend the Design Review Board meeting on Aug. 3 [another preliminary review, no voting] which, I believe, will start at 4 PM at City Hall [this info needs to be confirmed]:

Architect Kevin Kellogg [email protected]
    CVS Agent Bill McDermott [email protected]

DRB appointees:
    Peter Schurch [email protected]
    Zachary Douch [email protected]
    Bob Beauchamp [email protected]
    Lynn Deedler [email protected]
    Ron Basso [email protected]
    Alternate Lindsay Masset [email protected]

Let your views be known. We can still have an impact on the design and sustainability of this project. Landscaping, solar panels, car charging stations, recycled materials, zero waste construction, pedestrian entrances, etc.

If/when you speak, please be respectful and constructive. Angry insulting speeches only have the opposite effect. Believe it or not, almost everyone has the best interests of Sebastopol at heart - we just have different perspectives. Let's make ours really effective.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #41
    Geni Houston

Re: CVS at Design Review Board Aug. 3

Marty - You know I love you, girl friend, and I hate to bump heads, but I have to put in my 2 cents.

What else is going to go there? When is it going to go there? Who has the money to put something there? Fine to say wait till something "better" comes along, but how long do we wait?

And of course I have no problem with input on sustainability: landscape, solar, etc. but if we are going to foster this detail on this project, why not on all projects? I see trees cut on main street, building signage without permits, sandwich signs that I understand are not even legal.

Are we singeling them out simply because they are CVS? Amy's Kitchen wanted their pilot fast food restaurant here in Sebastopol - Sebastopol from which they had all the choices in the world! And yet we said no thank you (yes because of the drive through - but for those who don't think the drive through is used - guess again - I almost always use it).

We need some commercial vitality in this community and sometimes the stronger / corporate business can help us with that. I agree it would be wonderful to have all locally owned businesses (even locally owned franchises) but ain't happening - not anytime soon.

Thanks for letting me share.
    G

20. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

21. TopTop #42
    scamperwillow

Hey Geni - love you too and glad we can all feel free to express our views here. I'm not saying it shouldn't go there any more - just let's make it fit in as well as possible. There is quite a difference between a sandwich board and a huge construction project in the very center of town. And as far as the sustainability bit, I DO press for it at every opportunity - it should just be automatic by now, but we apparently still need to watchdog like crazy to get the big players to do it.

I worry about the competition it is going to provide to our existing local businesses and the thought of three pharmacies downtown and none at the edge of town which will require EVERYONE to drive into downtown.

But I agree if a better project hasn't shown up, the Pellini's certainly have the right to sell and develop their property......

Quote Posted in reply to the post by genihouston: View Post
    Marty - You know I love you, girl friend, and I hate to bump heads, but I have to put in my 2 cents.

What else is going to go there? When is it going to go there? Who has the money to put something there? Fine to say wait till something "better" comes along, but how long do we wait?

And of course I have no problem with input on sustainability: landscape, solar, etc. but if we are going to foster this detail on this project, why not on all projects? I see trees cut on main street, building signage without permits, sandwich signs that I understand are not even legal.

Are we singeling them out simply because they are CVS? Amy's Kitchen wanted their pilot fast food restaurant here in Sebastopol - Sebastopol from which they had all the choices in the world! And yet we said no thank you (yes because of the drive through - but for those who don't think the drive through is used - guess again - I almost always use it).

We need some commercial vitality in this community and sometimes the stronger / corporate business can help us with that. I agree it would be wonderful to have all locally owned businesses (even locally owned franchises) but ain't happening - not anytime soon.

Thanks for letting me share.
    G

22. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

23. TopTop #43
    The Owl

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Hey Geni - love you too and glad we can all feel free to express our views here. I'm not saying it shouldn't go there any more - just let's make it fit in as well as possible. There is quite a difference between a sandwich board and a huge construction project in the very center of town. And as far as the sustainability bit, I DO press for it at every opportunity - it should just be automatic by now, but we apparently still need to watchdog like crazy to get the big players to do it.

I worry about the competition it is going to provide to our existing local businesses and the thought of three pharmacies downtown and none at the edge of town which will require EVERYONE to drive into downtown.

But I agree if a better project hasn't shown up, the Pellini's certainly have the right to sell and develop their property......
    On day I imagine hearing town folk say "Why the hell did we let that go in? Now all we have are these corporate chains taking our money away from the community and undercutting local merchants 'til they have to close up shop." That Pellini place would have made a nice new location for the art center, or a permanent year round location for the Farmer's Market. Locating one of those there rather than down a hard to find dead end alley or one day a week in the town square would say volumes about the community to people passing through - instead we'll have yet another set of corporate signs among the first things people see coming into the city, just like the ones everywhere else within a few mile radius, nothing special about here... and there will probably be a need for more traffic lights because everyone who goes there will need to drive 1 person to 1 car, right? It's the American way, after all... and like the traffic lights now, they probably won't be synchronized so one will turn red just as the other turns green and you'll have monumental gridlock at peak shopping and commute times and make our already bad traffic situation many times worse... Seriously, how many BANKS does a city the size of Sebastopol really need? CVS is fine where it is, do you really want it located practically at the gateway to the city? ...small sign - entering Sebastopol -completely overwhelmed by huge, lighted CVS! CHASE! Logos. I find the lack of imagination appalling.

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #44
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

One thing that should pointed out that this is very low-density use of the site. I hope the developers do not intend to come back later and develop the site further (with a new building). If there is an intention for future development it should be put on the table now. If this is going to be a downtown mini-mall that should not be hidden. As a local professional planner wrote to me:

"Approving projects piecemeal is a violation of CEQA and deliberate deception. "

I'd like to see the further development of the site be addressed, perhaps with restrictions or agreements.

26. Gratitude expressed by:

27. TopTop #45
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    One thing that should pointed out that this is very low-density use of the site. I hope the developers do not intend to come back later and develop the site further (with a new building). If there is an intention for future development it should be put on the table now. If this is going to be a downtown mini-mall that should not be hidden. As a local professional planner wrote to me:

"Approving projects piecemeal is a violation of CEQA and deliberate deception. "

I'd like to see the further development of the site be addressed, perhaps with restrictions or agreements.
    I would LOVE to see more density in this project. I think what they are doing is a waste of valuable downtown center space. Not a mini-mall of course, but housing and offices upstairs, a restaurant, local retail, - maximize the site where density should be high.

28. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

29. TopTop #46
    Zeno Swijtink

Even as I am not happy with seeing such generic and bland occupants as CVS/Chase at that key location in town I can imagine that a city council has to ask the question: is there any better occupant likely to develop there in the not too distant future?

So I am asking: what are the alternatives? And how are the recent new businesses in that general area doing, are they thriving, will they be viable?

Is a period of, say, five year of blight/non development at that key location preferable over CVS/Chase?

30. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

31. TopTop #47
    Keith of all trades

Can this thread be forwarded to the powers that be in town and at CVS? I know Sarah Guerney is an Wacco, but I don't know if any of the other city council or planners are. Certainly CVS is not on Wacco!

Keith

32. Gratitude expressed by:

33. TopTop #48
    1104GT

A few comments on previous posts:

1. The only way thoughts, comments or ideas can be useful is if they are framed in an understanding of the way the City works and what powers the City has to govern development. The City has limited power over a person's property rights and cannot stop a development for vague reasons. Our City government only has powers granted to it by our General Plan and Municipal Code (zoning). If they take action, they need to site the chapter and section of the code that gives them the power to do so. That's why the Planning Commission's decision was overturned. They didn't cite the specific reasons and their related authority in denying the application. Any action by the City to act otherwise will result in lawsuits that will cost a lot and the City will loose.

2. The Pellini property has been vacant for a long time and there are quite a few other large lots currently for sale right in the center of town. If an arts center or some other use is desirable, someone needs to start working on a plan to make it happen. Being reactionary isn't going to get us what we want and City Government does not have the resources to do it for us. Ideas are great but useless if no one can forward a plan, make commitments and start writing big checks. We need to shift out of "protest" mode and into "proactive" mode.

3. I know a lot of people do not support development, but that view is unsustainable. The only way to preserve the open spaces between towns and cities in Sonoma county is by increasing density in existing towns. Unfortunately, our zoning codes are backwards; they make it easiest to develop on the periphery of towns where land is cheapest and comes in big chunks. This results in sprawl that develops precious open and agricultural land and destroys our rural buffers between cities. We need to work to reverse our zoning laws to make it easiest to develop in the center of town and hardest to build on the outskirts.

4. Remember that we have to respond to the proposal that is on the table; CVS and Chase Bank. Our City does not have the authority to stop it outright, so the best we can do is demand that the design be really good. My opinion is that buildings need to be moved close together with a walkway between them, eliminating the parking lot between buildings and leaving the land to the South open for future development.

We have made significant progress, but are not done by a long shot. The current proposal has a MUCH better designed CVS building elevations. Now we need them to fix the suburban site plan (it still stinks) by moving the buildings together to remove the big parking lot gap between them, show us the corner of 12 & 116 and show us the Chase building.

Show up on August 3 and make a case for great design!

34. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

35. TopTop #49
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Keith of all trades: View Post
    Can this thread be forwarded to the powers that be in town and at CVS? I know Sarah Guerney is an Wacco, but I don't know if any of the other city council or planners are. Certainly CVS is not on Wacco!

Keith
    We need to get past the idea of hoping someone will read something on Wacco. You need to call or email the leaders personally and go to the meetings and speak up. What they see on Wacco is pretty much meaningless if you don't stand up and show real interest and action.

I posted all the email addresses of the Design Review Board in this thread - they want to hear from you.

36. Gratitude expressed by:

37. TopTop #50
    Geni Houston

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Pterosapiens: View Post
    On day I imagine hearing town folk say "Why the hell did we let that go in? Now all we have are these corporate chains taking our money away from the community and undercutting local merchants 'til they have to close up shop." That Pellini place would have made a nice new location for the art center, or a permanent year round location for the Farmer's Market. Locating one of those there rather than down a hard to find dead end alley or one day a week in the town square would say volumes about the community to people passing through - instead we'll have yet another set of corporate signs among the first things people see coming into the city, just like the ones everywhere else within a few mile radius, nothing special about here... and there will probably be a need for more traffic lights because everyone who goes there will need to drive 1 person to 1 car, right? It's the American way, after all... and like the traffic lights now, they probably won't be synchronized so one will turn red just as the other turns green and you'll have monumental gridlock at peak shopping and commute times and make our already bad traffic situation many times worse... Seriously, how many BANKS does a city the size of Sebastopol really need? CVS is fine where it is, do you really want it located practically at the gateway to the city? ...small sign - entering Sebastopol -completely overwhelmed by huge, lighted CVS! CHASE! Logos. I find the lack of imagination appalling.
    Once again, I have to respectfully disagree. What I don't want have to say is "Where the #*$& did that business go?" A couple of points - coming into town you will see a city owned park at the bridge, some nice to lovely buildings on Morris corner, the Barlow project which will HAVE (my understanding) a year round farmers market and I don't think it is down a hard to find corner. Additionally, banks, pharmacies, et all do their market research and they know now many our city can sustain - or they close down. Remember, we serve the larger western side of the county. And again, CVS has indicated that they will do better in a smaller location so THEY do not think they are okay where they are. I, too, personally do not like the CVS or Chase logo for that matter but signs (should) go through review for size and usage. We cannot change the rules because some may not like a particular one. I can think of about 3 that I find appalling and they are not corporate business.
    Geni

38. TopTop #51

Re: CVS Proposes Windowless Building Downtown

At the last council meeting held re: the CVS developement, there was quite a bit of, not just concern, but outrage set squarely against this project. Those folks were told that this was an environmental impact meeting and that they would have a say at a later date. That "later date" never happened. The city council made the decision to exclude the citizens of Sebastopol and greenlight this project without any input from the people. Very discreetly, we're on a course to become another mall/town with more stores than we can shop at. With setbacks and codes being altered to please the developers, our city is slowly disappearing. We need guidelines as to developement in Sebastopol and people in office to enforce them, not bow down to corporate entities. What will happen to the smaller businesses that make this town what it is? Locally owned! Has anyone thought of the ramifications involved? Without public opinion, it is impossible to do so. You want another Santa Rosa? I say move to Santa Rosa. I'm sickened by the course our local "government" has taken. I fear we have crossed the Rubicon. If we are excluded in the process from the beginning. I see no reason to exclude ourselves from the results. Boycott CVS.

39. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

40. TopTop #52
    zenekar

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 1104GT: View Post
    A few comments on previous posts:

1. The only way thoughts, comments or ideas can be useful is if they are framed in an understanding of the way the City works and what powers the City has to govern development. The City has limited power over a person's property rights and cannot stop a development for vague reasons. Our City government only has powers granted to it by our General Plan and Municipal Code (zoning). If they take action, they need to site the chapter and section of the code that gives them the power to do so. That's why the Planning Commission's decision was overturned. They didn't cite the specific reasons and their related authority in denying the application. Any action by the City to act otherwise will result in lawsuits that will cost a lot and the City will loose.

2. The Pellini property has been vacant for a long time and there are quite a few other large lots currently for sale right in the center of town. If an arts center or some other use is desirable, someone needs to start working on a plan to make it happen. Being reactionary isn't going to get us what we want and City Government does not have the resources to do it for us. Ideas are great but useless if no one can forward a plan, make commitments and start writing big checks. We need to shift out of "protest" mode and into "proactive" mode.

3. I know a lot of people do not support development, but that view is unsustainable. The only way to preserve the open spaces between towns and cities in Sonoma county is by increasing density in existing towns. Unfortunately, our zoning codes are backwards; they make it easiest to develop on the periphery of towns where land is cheapest and comes in big chunks. This results in sprawl that develops precious open and agricultural land and destroys our rural buffers between cities. We need to work to reverse our zoning laws to make it easiest to develop in the center of town and hardest to build on the outskirts.

4. Remember that we have to respond to the proposal that is on the table; CVS and Chase Bank. Our City does not have the authority to stop it outright, so the best we can do is demand that the design be really good. My opinion is that buildings need to be moved close together with a walkway between them, eliminating the parking lot between buildings and leaving the land to the South open for future development.

We have made significant progress, but are not done by a long shot. The current proposal has a MUCH better designed CVS building elevations. Now we need them to fix the suburban site plan (it still stinks) by moving the buildings together to remove the big parking lot gap between them, show us the corner of 12 & 116 and show us the Chase building.

Show up on August 3 and make a case for great design!
    It appears to me that the general outrage is about the intrusion of national and international corporate franchises. As you've correctly outlined the process and limitation cities have regarding private property, the system is set up to favor corporations that have the money to purchase prime real estate. Communities are left with no choice but to allow the corporations to move in, even criminal enterprises like Chase.

The question is, how can people take back their communities to build what the community needs and desires vs. big business that profits from, but has no concern for, the community? Corporations play a mean game -- like a combination of Monopoly and Chess. We are the the pawns who sometimes don't collect $200 but go directly to jail. But with some skill, pawns can checkmate a king. Where there is a will and organization there are possibilities for real change.

41. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

42. TopTop #53
    scamperwillow

Re: CVS Proposes Windowless Building Downtown

eeeeeow you are confused. It was at the Planning commission where the outrage was expressed and the PC said no to the project. It was then appealed to the Council. At the Council meeting, there were very few speakers against the project and many in favor. They DID accept input - it was a public hearing - announced here and in many other places. No one on the Council said anything about a later date - they were very clear that they were reversing the PC's decision. They did say that input would still be taken at the Design Review Board which is referenced in this thread. I was at this City Council meeting - were you? It doesn't sound like the same meeting.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    At the last council meeting held re: the CVS developement, there was quite a bit of, not just concern, but outrage set squarely against this project. Those folks were told that this was an environmental impact meeting and that they would have a say at a later date. That "later date" never happened. The city council made the decision to exclude the citizens of Sebastopol and greenlight this project without any input from the people. Very discreetly, we're on a course to become another mall/town with more stores than we can shop at. With setbacks and codes being altered to please the developers, our city is slowly disappearing. We need guidelines as to developement in Sebastopol and people in office to enforce them, not bow down to corporate entities. What will happen to the smaller businesses that make this town what it is? Locally owned! Has anyone thought of the ramifications involved? Without public opinion, it is impossible to do so. You want another Santa Rosa? I say move to Santa Rosa. I'm sickened by the course our local "government" has taken. I fear we have crossed the Rubicon. If we are excluded in the process from the beginning. I see no reason to exclude ourselves from the results. Boycott CVS.

43. Gratitude expressed by:

44. TopTop #54
    Magick

Re: CVS Are you willing to keep speaking out?

Community, I will be speaking during public comment at 6pm on Tuesday, Aug. 2 at the CITY COUNCIL meeting at the Youth Annex. I encourage all of you to come and continue to keep this issue alive. The project has not been approved.
    PLEASE consider attending the Design Review Board meeting as well, on Wed. Aug 3rd, at 4pm. at CIty Hall I will be speaking there as well.
    If you want to have an affect you need to get the hang of how things work and get involved, wacco is a great network for information then we need to run with it.
    I have been working on local issues for over 15 years and even when it looks like a done deal, don't give up, Many times we have been successful in the 11th hour.
    We can do a boycott online petition adding to the over 500 signatures already opposing, "If you build it we won't COME!
    We can do a referendum, We can start to picket and ask people to stop shopping there now and move there money out of Chase to local banks.
    What are you willing to do? What are your brainstorming ideas?
    See you at the meetings! Yours in truth, Magick

45. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

46. TopTop #55

Re: CVS Are you willing to keep speaking out?

I will see you at the meetings! My wife and I have already moved our money to a local bank. That's a good idea anyway, re: the local economy let alone an action to send a message. It shoould happen across America. These larger banks certainly have no interest in the needs of small communities.

The problem of living in a small town is the possibility that the town is run by small minds. The improvements needed in Sebastopol are few. This corner considered for the CVS fiasco could use a facelift, no doubt. The factory/warehouse area not far from that corner is another example. But, these areas could be transformed into neighborhoods with walk streets with housing and a diverse collection of locally owned businesses. To take the easy way out and let big business pull the strings on our city council is something that, unfortunately happens all over America.

Build on what we already have: a community that cares. A community that is involved and proud of where we live.

One more thing: we will not forget this come election day.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Magick: View Post
    Community, I will be speaking during public comment at 6pm on Tuesday, Aug. 2 at the CITY COUNCIL meeting at the Youth Annex. I encourage all of you to come and continue to keep this issue alive. The project has not been approved.
    PLEASE consider attending the Design Review Board meeting as well, on Wed. Aug 3rd, at 4pm. at CIty Hall I will be speaking there as well.
    If you want to have an affect you need to get the hang of how things work and get involved, wacco is a great network for information then we need to run with it.
    I have been working on local issues for over 15 years and even when it looks like a done deal, don't give up, Many times we have been successful in the 11th hour.
    We can do a boycott online petition adding to the over 500 signatures already opposing, "If you build it we won't COME!
    We can do a referendum, We can start to picket and ask people to stop shopping there now and move there money out of Chase to local banks.
    What are you willing to do? What are your brainstorming ideas?
    See you at the meetings! Yours in truth, Magick

47. Gratitude expressed by:

48. TopTop #56

Go to the meetings!!!

Go to the meetings and voice your oppositiomn: 6pm on Tuesday, Aug. 2 at the CITY COUNCIL meeting at the Youth Annex.

I encourage all of you to come and continue to keep this issue alive. The project has not been approved.

PLEASE consider attending the Design Review Board meeting as well, on Wed. Aug 3rd, at 4pm. at CIty Hall I will be speaking

49. TopTop #57
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

See a new article posted on the WaccoBB.net home page by Paul Fritz, a local Architect, on the proposed design of the CVS development.

50. Gratitude expressed by:

51. TopTop #58
    scamperwillow

Re: Go to the meetings!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    Go to the meetings and voice your oppositiomn: 6pm on Tuesday, Aug. 2 at the CITY COUNCIL meeting at the Youth Annex.

I encourage all of you to come and continue to keep this issue alive. The project has not been approved.

PLEASE consider attending the Design Review Board meeting as well, on Wed. Aug 3rd, at 4pm. at CIty Hall I will be speaking
    And if you can't make it to the Design Review Board - write to them before Wed. This has an impact - send them good ideas, not attacks:

DRB appointees:

Let your views be known. We can still have an impact on the design and sustainability of this project. Landscaping, solar panels, car charging stations, recycled materials, zero waste construction, pedestrian entrances, etc.

If/when you speak, please be respectful and constructive. Angry insulting speeches only have the opposite effect. Believe it or not, almost everyone has the best interests of Sebastopol at heart - we just have different perspectives. Let's make ours really effective.

52. Gratitude expressed by:

53. TopTop #59
    scamperwillow

Re: Go to the meetings!!!

Here is the letter I wrote - write your own:

Dear Design Review board members,

I had hoped to be at the meeting Wed, but now I discover I cannot attend, so here are my comments. Although I am very unhappy that a project like this is going into the center of our little town, I realize we may not be able to stop it. Therefore, I am counting on you to make sure it is the very best design possible. Here are some of my priorities:

The design needs to fit in with the look and feel of our current downtown.
    The two buildings should be next to each other to give more of a downtown pedestrian street feel.
    If they could add even another building for a restaurant or something in the site plan, that would be great infill.
    It should be built as green as possible: solar panels, sustainable materials, car charging stations.
    The windows should be REAL windows that look into the store and the people inside, not those fake display windows they are proposing.
    If there is any way to add a second story for housing or office space that would be a huge improvement.
    Landscaping and benches and people gathering nodes and bike racks should be included.
    Signage should be subtle and fit in with other downtown signage.
    There should be a clear pedestrian entrance off the street.

Please consider these comments as you conduct your review.

Thanks very much,
    Marty Roberts
    Robinson Rd.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    And if you can't make it to the Design Review Board - write to them before Wed. This has an impact - send them good ideas, not attacks:

DRB appointees:

54. Gratitude expressed by:

55. TopTop #60
    dominus

There will be a total of 3 store locations which are vacant at the Redwood Shopping Center after CVS relocates. Won't that current location become blight? How does the council plan to handle that?

56. Gratitude expressed by: