Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

"La Mission" DVD Recommendation

Last night I saw an uplifting multi-cultural 2009 film titled “La Mission,” which I want to recommend. It takes place in San Francisco’s own Mission District among the low-rider community.

“Gorgeous and moving,” says the SF Chronicle. “An inspiring gem” writes the NY Post. “Oozes with authenticity” and “poignant, unusual, and unforgettable” say others. “From the thorn emerges the flower,” the DVD cover observes. It stars Emmy winner Benjamin Bratt of the TV series “Law and Order” as an ex-convict and recovering alcoholic.

It is about the transition of his son from high school into college and from boyhood into manhood. I checked it out from the public library in Rohnert Park and am going to request that the SSU library order it. If you see it, I would welcome your reflections on it.

Among the things to notice: the role of food and feeding people; the music; the tattoos; the line “good for the heart;” the knock-dead beautiful black woman hipster living in the Mission; the artistic cars; the humor; the tough guy men’s group; immigration issues; homophobia; the dialogue, in both English and Spanish; the Aztec dancers; the murals.

“Impression without expression leads to depression,” the African-American psychologist, diversity trainer, and blues singer Isoke Femi asserted in an SSU lecture this week. Amen.

“La Mission” is a “family affair.” Lines that I appreciated: “We take our time getting there—going slow.” “Listen to your heart, and what it is saying.”

This film is about forgiveness, acceptance, reconciliation, and redemption. It raises basic questions about la violencia, gender, sexism, racism, and multi-cultural relationships.
    Ultimately, it is a love story.

Elena Avila Presente!
    Shepherd (Santiago) Bliss
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: