Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

PG&E proposes SmartMeter opt-out plan but it will cost you more money

PG&E proposes SmartMeter opt-out plan but it will cost you more money
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...tc=pgall&tc=ar

By BOB NORBERG
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 2:24 p.m.

Gas and electric customers who want to opt-out of PG&E’s SmartMeter program can have the device’s communications system turned off, but it will cost them more money for their power.

PG&E made the proposal Thursday which would allow residents to eliminate the radio waves that some contend is a health hazard.

As part of the plan, which still has to be approved by the California Public Utilities Commission, the utility is proposing upfront and monthly charges to offset the cost of disabling the meters, employing meter readers and changing its information technology system.

“For customers who want it, we will turn off the communications radio and that removes them from the grid,” said spokesman Jeff Smith. “The on-going fees cover the costs, primarily the labor but also the cost to strengthen the SmartMeter network.”

The proposal was made Thursday in a filing to the PUC.

The so-called “opt-out” plan was criticized by Sebastopol officials, largely because of the fees the utility want to levy on a product people didn’t want in the first place.

The proposal is to charge customers a $270 upfront fee, plus a $14 monthly charge or an increase in gas and electric rates, or a $135 upfront charge and a $20 monthly fee or increase in rates.

The fees would be discounted for low-income customers who qualify for PG&E’s CARE program.

“It will be poorly received by those who want an opt-out. It defeats the purpose when there is an extra financial burden added,” said Mayor Guy Wilson. “I also think that people who are worried about the effects will be worried whether the meter is turned off or not, but the most objectional aspect would be the expense.”

Sebastopol has been at the center of the controversy, with often emotional debate and testimony before the City Council by residents who say the radio waves emitted from the SmartMeters make them ill.

SmartMeters transmit usage data in bursts of radio waves, giving PG&E an immediate reading of the use of gas and electricity in its system, alerting it to power outages and allowing customers to easily track energy use.

Mendocino and Marin counties and the Humboldt County city of Rio Dell have enacted moratoriums, but the Sebastopol City Council wouldn’t go that far, contending that it had no jurisdiction.

However, the City Council did support Assembly Bill 37 by Assemblyman Jared Huffman, D-San Rafael, which would allow cities to opt out of PG&E’s SmartMeter installation program.

Sebastopol Councilwoman Kathleen Shaffer gives credit to PG&E for letting customers have the transmitters turned off, but wants the utility to justify those fees.

“To me, to pay $270 to opt-out seems high, the $14 seems not totally unreasonable, but it could be lower,” Shaffer said. “I’m concerned how it will effect low-income people. It will still hit the group that doesn’t qualify for CARE but still may be struggling in this economy.”

The commission on March 10 ordered PG&E to come up with an opt-out plan because of the controversy that continued to swirl around the SmartMeters, which use radio transmission to report electric and natural gas usage.

Although the commission said it did not believe there was scientific evidence indicating that the radio transmissions were a hazard, it wanted customers to have the ability to opt-out of the program.

PG&E has already installed 8 million SmartMeters to its customers and expects to have a full deployment of 10 million next year, Smith said.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: PG&E proposes SmartMeter opt-out plan but it will cost you more money

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    PG&E proposes SmartMeter opt-out plan but it will cost you more money...
    No Kidding! It will cost you ALOT of Money! As I wrote on my editorial the other day, I think it is a reasonable, maybe even a good thing, if the there is a small monthy fee. I think think PG&E's $14 or $20/month fee is un-called for and borders on more of a fine rather than a fee.

To add insult to injury, to charge anything, let alone a whopping $135 - $270 is uncalled for. They should have just asked if you wanted to opt out in the beginning and if you choose to, they should have just left your meter as is, so there is no reason for such a fee. The fact that they didn't ask shouldn't be your (our) problem.

What's more, from my reading of the article, it seems that they are going ahead with universal SmartMeter program, and just allowing an expensive opt-out of the radio communications aspect only. One question is why swap meters then? And I'm guessing that there are people out there that will have a big problem with the SmartMeter even if the radio is turned off.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    AllorrahBe

Yes, Barry, I will have a BIG problem with the SmartMeter, even if the radio is turned off!!
    Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on the late-breaking developments.

Rev. Allorrah Be
    Circles of Light Ministries

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    No Kidding! It will cost you ALOT of Money! As I wrote on my editorial the other day, I think it is a reasonable, maybe even a good thing, if the there is a small monthy fee. I think think PG&E's $14 or $20/month fee is un-called for and borders on more of a fine rather than a fee.

To add insult to injury, to charge anything, let alone a whopping $135 - $270 is uncalled for. They should have just asked if you wanted to opt out in the beginning and if you choose to, they should have just left your meter as is, so there is no reason for such a fee. The fact that they didn't ask shouldn't be your (our) problem.

What's more, from my reading of the article, it seems that they are going ahead with universal SmartMeter program, and just allowing an expensive opt-out of the radio communications aspect only. One question is why swap meters then? And I'm guessing that there are people out there that will have a big problem with the SmartMeter even if the radio is turned off.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Sabrina

You are right Barry, it is absolutely un called for for them to charge fees of any kind to opt out. They should have asked in the first place. I still don't have one installed, thank Goddess, I fought them tooth and nail! But will I also be required to pay these "fines" as they appear to be? They want to charge fines for the extra charge it may be for them to have a meter reader come out? First they were denying that they were saving money by losing the meter readers, only saying we were all saving money by installing the blessed dumb smart meters. They still should not be charging us for a meter reader to come out. What about the rural people who still are on the trust system sending in their own meter readings? I still know of someone in a fenced, dog inhabited compound who still sends in her own readings, and has ignored the letters they send wanting to install a smart meter.