Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    kit-kit

"Bio Feedback" - what habitat or food sources are known to be in vineyards for birds?

or any other animals, really?

For instance: if they use chemical fertilizers, no worms will live in the soil

There is no food on the grapes, until it produces grapes, and the grape growers want those for people.

Insects may be there. So, only for insect eating birds, which they may all be.

just a thought. occurs to me that there is no food for the birds to eat in a vineyard...

kind opinions wanted --- thank you
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: "Bio Feedback" - what habitat or food sources are known to be in vineyards for birds?

Industrial monoculture is as industrial monoculture does.

Still, jackrabbits and turkeys thrive in the chemically enhanced chardonnay vineyard next to my father and brothers place. I think the turkeys get most of their forage from down by the Laguna and up in neighbors pastures. They're just passing through the vineyard. Bird guns go off every late summer, early fall, for a few weeks. (Compressed air explosions, no projectiles involved.)

3. TopTop #3
    Loel

Re: "Bio-Feedback" Any birds left around here? Some facts:

In the 1950's, when I was a child growing up here, there were far more species of birds around. Meadowlarks, with their yellow coloring and pretty song, lived in the open fields. Western Bluebirds, brighter blue than Bluejays w/pink bellies, also were common in open fields, nesting in scrub oaks. There were also many more White Barn Owls, Flickers, Tanangers, and the real treat was seeing the turquoise blue Lazuli Buntings. It's rare to see any of these birds anymore, because Elite Winos have to keep making their Estates.