Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ladyjoni

Homeless and Demented in Sonoma County

I am appalled at the lack of actual help for homeless and mentally ill or demented in our wonderful county. This is my experience in just this last couple weeks; I would like to hear from others with similar experiences or some one with a solution!

I am on SSDI, renting a room in my daughters house. My sister, who this story is about, has been living with her husband in a camper/van for over two years, moving around from parking lots to friends or relatives driveway. He was arrested 6 monthes ago and is now in Rehab. My sister was basically abandoned, no food, no cash, only allowed inside to use bathroom. The landlord ordered her and the van out of the driveway or eviction of the relatives there would happen. Was able to put her up in hotel for week, thinking would be able to find her safe shelter somewhere.

As she was a Vet, started there. Great guy named Rich thought we would be able to find her shelter also. So far we have worked with the VA, social services through Sutter, Emergency room at Sutter, HUD VAsh, Dr Kozart at the free clinic, APS. There seems to be no where she can go. Because of my sisters condition, Gravely disabled with dementia, she cannot use the shelter system. Evidently having dementia or memory problems, does not count as "Mental Illness" either! Big crack to fall in or Catch-22 there! She would not survive on the streets. We are being refered to someplace down in Marin that may or may not take her.

Why can't we take care of our people here! WE used to be your neighbors, we had our houses, our jobs, our health! We were born in Califonia and for over 35 years have made Sonoma County our home. I had been homeless myself for a year while waiting 3 years for mySSDI

I cannot keep my sister with me and no one else, friend or relative is able to help either. My daughter is ready ro kick me out, because of this, and I am facing major surgery next week. I need someone to help us to make it through this. She just got a check from SSI and should get something from VA, so can contribute

If there is a sweet angel out there, who maybe has a couch or room my sister could sleep in, who could possibly show her kindness and patience and care until something more permanent can be arranged, many blessing would come to you!

Any and all suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by Barry; 01-26-2011 at 05:54 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Homeless and Demented in Sonoma County

I suggest you call "Adult Protective Services" (Human Services Dept) at 707 565-5940. They may be able to help.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Sabrina

It is an absolute shame that we have so few human services, and that they continue to be cut. Welcome to third world America!

6. TopTop #4
    Artaloha

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sabrina: View Post
    It is an absolute shame that we have so few human services, and that they continue to be cut. Welcome to third world America!
    It's one thing to post your opinion here; what's necessary is that you let your senators and congresspeople know that you're not happy. We need to be screaming in their ears right now and letting them know we are watching their vote record in Congress, etc.; put their toes to the fire and make them do our will! We have no right to complain otherwise!