Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sun Source Solar

Looking to Collaborate with "Tiny House" Enthusiasts and Acreage Property Owners

Hello,

I'm looking to collaborate with "Tiny House" enthusiasts and Acreage Property Owners to strike a deal.

For the last several years I have lived in a 450 square foot studio, and while it's nice, I want to begin planning my due diligence phase for making a move into a mobile version of a "tiny house" with the same square footage; something I can OWN and no property taxes.

https://littlehouseonthetrailer.com/

https://www.tinyhousedesign.com/

In order to achieve this I need to:

• Locate like minded people who are in the midst of due diligence for the same kind of move.
    • People who want a stick built type "Tiny House" and NOT an RV type camper community.
    • Find other tiny house people who have already made the move for support and advice.
    • Network with property owners who own five acres or more, and who are open to leasing a portion of their property to a quiet and peaceful tiny house community of five or six residents... or whatever number is comfortable.

You see, even a tiny house on a trailer needs a home, that is, a piece of land on which to reside. This can be achieved by a small group of tiny house converts locating a piece of property to turn into a real-life registered campground.

https://www.mysmallbiz.com/start-a-campground/

https://www.motherearthnews.com/Natu...ampground.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/How-Sell-Oper...ref=pd_sim_b_1

https://www.amazon.com/Campground-Ma...pd_sim_sbs_b_1

How and what hurdles?

It may not be ideal to purchase a piece of property, as this would be too much of a legal hassle on joint property ownership, though, I wouldn't rule it out if legally feasible. However, if we could lease a property from a land owner who is progressive thinking, then we could establish a campground that would allow us to park our mobile homes without trouble from the county. This is an idealistic dream of mine, but I think within sensible reach.

Ideally...

• It would be nice to have a small community of adults Maybe five or six residents who want to pull this off.
    • A quiet community with a vegetable garden, some landscape and a mix of perma-culture.
    • Some privacy for all that affords autonomy, yet inter-dependence.
    • Affordable, off-grid style housing with aesthetic architectural beauty in mind.
    Please let me know if you're interested or know someone who can help! Thank you, Jennifer.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-26-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    anjaloba

Re: Looking to Collaborate with "Tiny House" Enthusiasts and Acreage Property Owners

I have been following the tiny house movement for awhile. In 2003 we sold our 3 story house, emptied into the locol neighborhood, and gave our second vehicle to a family that could use it to help their family. We bought and old 78 Aristocrat, that we modified, and the two of us, our dog and cat all fit perfectly in the space for over two years.....as we are aging the ladder to bed became a bit much so we upgraded to a sightly larger unit w/ 180 square feet. We eliminated our extra to live more lightly on the earth. Sounds interesting what you are planning....the way of the future. Smaller indoor space, larger earth space!

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Sun Source Solar

Re: Looking to Collaborate with "Tiny House" Enthusiasts and Acreage Property Owners

Absolutely! More earth space and less crowding and impact from human over-consumption. I'm attempting to put together a meeting of like-minded people, as I have located a local Tiny House builder in Petaluma who will speak to us about this concept. If anyone knows of other people or builders who have experience with this concept, then that would be of great help. Also, I want to locate some property owners who have acreage and are open minded to the idea of establishing a legal and registered campground, kind of like KOA, but with stick built homes instead of RV camper style mobiles. The details of "how" remain to be studied. No offense to camper style RV's, but I'm attempting to attract participants who desire stick built architecture, but on a Tiny House level. Best to you all... Jennifer. Isp of
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by anjaloba: View Post
    I have been following the tiny house movement for awhile. In 2003 we sold our 3 story house, emptied into the locol neighborhood, and gave our second vehicle to a family that could use it to help their family. We bought and old 78 Aristocrat, that we modified, and the two of us, our dog and cat all fit perfectly in the space for over two years.....as we are aging the ladder to bed became a bit much so we upgraded to a sightly larger unit w/ 180 square feet. We eliminated our extra to live more lightly on the earth. Sounds interesting what you are planning....the way of the future. Smaller indoor space, larger earth space!

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Sun Source Solar

Hi everyone, I'm in touch with a Tiny House builder out of Petaluma who would like the opportunity to speak to anyone who's interested. I've received various responses from about five people with interest in attending an informational meeting at his building site (located in Petaluma) and to have opportunity to look at some of the model mobile homes he's built.

His website is www.littlehouseonthetrailer.com

I also have an acquaintance who has owned and operated a family run campground for about 30 years. I will see if he and his wife would be willing to come to the meeting to give us the scoop on what it takes to establish a California registered campground. Feel free to email me if you'd like to be part of this gathering and I'll let you know when we reach at least ten people to attend. I'm looking forward to making this an event and seeing what possibilities exist. Best, Jennifer.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    ElJefe

Hi Jennifer. Great idea. I've been building a tiny house for the past few months and I'm actually finishing up soon. Here is a link to the blog which shows the progress: https://tinyhouseonwheels.blogspot.com/

I'd be happy to meet with you to discuss possibilities. I've been planning on selling this house and building another come summertime...

Jeff

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    Sun Source Solar

Tiny House Update:

THANK YOU JEFF! I sent you a private email to your inbox.

FOR EVERYONE...By the way:
    A wonderful woman phoned me today telling me her story and commitment to a small intentional community and journey that she has undertaken with near success. This occurred several years ago for a property purchase with several other individuals. However, the deal fell apart when one of the investors pulled out. But NO FEAR! She's highly optimistic that this can be achieved and that the county is more cooperative then I might have thought with regard to establishing a California licensed campground. She has offered to impart her wisdom to a group. She has lots to say and we exchanged several brainstorm ideas during the course of our conversation. Won't you join us? So far I have about five people who want to attend in earnest, but five more would be great! The dream would be to locate a property owner who want's to utilize his/her acreage in a licensed campground manner for no more than ten residents, or less if the property will only support a limit under ten tiny houses. The property would need WATER, and septic and or gray water issues to be addressed. PROGRESSIVE PROPERTY OWNERS PLEASE STEP FORWARD. Thank you! Jennifer.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by ElJefe: View Post
    Hi Jennifer. Great idea. I've been building a tiny house for the past few months and I'm actually finishing up soon. Here is a link to the blog which shows the progress: https://tinyhouseonwheels.blogspot.com/

I'd be happy to meet with you to discuss possibilities. I've been planning on selling this house and building another come summertime...

Jeff

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7
    Sun Source Solar

ANOTHER Tiny House Update:

So I've located a great website that speaks about the in's and out's of purchasing an RV campground.

https://www.rvparkstore.com/ebook/rv..._investing.htm

It's FULL of information, including FINANCING for RV parks, and has a complete listing of campgrounds for sale within the United State and Canada! Too bad there are none within our area. But perhaps we can start our own. The book is $45.00, so I will hold off on purchasing it just yet, that is, until I can get some consensus on those of you who want to pitch in on an effort like this, then we can share the cost of education material and research.

One other issue that I'm seeing as a potential obstacle is the price of "rent" to lease a spot within a campground; it MUST be AFFORDABLE. Personally, I'm not willing to pay more than $200 a month to park my Tiny House on a property. However, if the property is purchased by a group of "tenants in common", then I'm willing to contribute a little more because this will go toward ownership of the land with rights for any of the owners to sell their share... and for another Tiny House owner to buy-in to the campground. Lots of options here. Best, Jennifer

14. TopTop #8
    anjaloba

I would very much like to attend! I think your idea and your enthusiasm for this project is great and infectious!

15. TopTop #9
    anjaloba

Thanks Jeff great step by step blog too!

16. TopTop #10
    wildfire

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sun Source Solar: View Post
    Tiny House Update:

THANK YOU JEFF! I sent you a private email to your inbox.

FOR EVERYONE...By the way: A wonderful woman phoned me today telling me her story and commitment to a small intentional community and journey that she has undertaken with near success. This occurred several years ago for a property purchase with several other individuals. However, the deal fell apart when one of the investors pulled out. But NO FEAR! She's highly optimistic that this can be achieved and that the county is more cooperative then I might have thought with regard to establishing a California licensed campground. She has offered to impart her wisdom to a group. She has lots to say and we exchanged several brainstorm ideas during the course of our conversation. Won't you join us? So far I have about five people who want to attend in earnest, but five more would be great! The dream would be to locate a property owner who want's to utilize his/her acreage in a licensed campground manner for no more than ten residents, or less if the property will only support a limit under ten tiny houses. The property would need WATER, and septic and or gray water issues to be addressed. PROGRESSIVE PROPERTY OWNERS PLEASE STEP FORWARD. Thank you! Jennifer.
    hi i would be interested, i have a motor home can you help, thanks, mark 541 660 1505

17. TopTop #11
    Sun Source Solar

Hi Mark, the "Tiny House" idea is akin to stick built mobile homes on trailers and not camper style mobile homes. But please feel welcome to attend the meeting and see if you can't find some answers to your situation.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildfire: View Post
    hi i would be interested, i have a motor home can you help, thanks, mark 541 660 1505

18. TopTop #12
    Sun Source Solar

"Tiny House" MEETING EVENT UPDATE.

Hello Everyone, we finally have a date set to gather, listen and learn from some well versed "Tiny House" veterans! Please look for this "Tiny House" meeting and event located in the "Events" section of Wacco. Here's a link to the event:

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showthread.php?76013-UPDATE-quot-Tiny-House-quot-Event-Meeting-is-Finally-Happening!!!&p=128257#post128257

I hope to see you there and thanks for your encouragement so far! Best, Jennifer.

Hi Mark, the "Tiny House" idea is akin to stick built mobile homes on trailers and not camper style mobile homes. But please feel welcome to attend the meeting and see if you can't find some answers to your situation.
    Last edited by Sun Source Solar; 01-26-2011 at 05:52 PM.

19. TopTop #13
    Sun Source Solar

TINY HOUSE Update:

Hello Everyone... Please check the "Events" section for the Tiny House meeting to take place in February:

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showthread.php?76013-UPDATE-quot-Tiny-House-quot-Event-Meeting-is-Finally-Happening!!!&p=128257#post128257

And thank you Chazling for your recent post. Please feel welcome to contact me privately or come to the meeting.

Kindly,

Jennifer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by chazling: View Post
    Hello Tiny House Enthusiasts and SunSource Solar.

I wanted to drop in and let you know of various ways you can "own your power" vs renting your power also,
    thru energy independence and energy efficiency. I consult, design and build "micro-solar" and the
    SolMan mobile solar generator. I have been talking and considering the intersection of the tiny home movement,
    and micro solar, and it is a natural mutual fit to further your independent and downsized lifestyle.
    There are several postings in Kent Griswold's Tiny House blog, including this video interview of the the SolMan running a Tiny Home.
    https://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house...lar-generator/

One can in most cases plug into the grid somewhere, but if the grid is down, or nowhere near, and you don't want
    to burn fossil fuel for a generator, consider these options. We also do custom designs and component purchases and installs.
    There are some really great energy efficient products coming out now, like LED lights, that will really reduce your needs there.

I have some emails and writings from several folks on how to manage energy use in a Tiny Home for best results, if anybody is interested I will pass on. There are also some strategies to consider with the county and the codes.

Good luck on your campground project.

Towards our personal and collective empowerment.

Chaz

SolSolutions www.sol-solutions.com
    Last edited by Sun Source Solar; 01-27-2011 at 11:19 PM.

20. TopTop #14
    Sun Source Solar

ANOTHER UPDATE: "Tiny House"

Hello Everyone,

I've just begun to look into compact septic systems and gray water treatment systems for the likes of tiny house campgrounds, including property types that don't percolate for septic systems. Here's one link I found... a string in many to follow:

https://www.bluewateratu.com/why-bluewater/

From my point of view one prominent thought that continues to rear it's head is the way the county has continually overlooked these types of alternative septic system designs. Far be it for me to claim full education on the permit process of septic systems; I have limited experience doing my own research on other properties and what I have noticed is this: How the heck can the county continue to put the lid on the advancing technology of compact septic system design, while holding on to the antiquated designs specifications of large septic systems? Perhaps large septic systems keep rampant development in check where smaller and technologically advanced systems would let property development take over. Poly-Anna here will check with the county and ask them when or if there will be a time where they will begin to recognize the merits of compact septic systems, where policy changes will begin to move in concert with advanced septic technology. I'm sure many a property owner have grown tired of this old line. Do you think they'll give me a straight answer??? Best, Jennifer

TINY HOUSE Update:

Hello Everyone... Please check the "Events" section for the Tiny House meeting to take place in February:

And thank you Chazling for your recent post. Please feel welcome to contact me privately or come to the meeting.

Kindly,

Jennifer
    Last edited by Sun Source Solar; 01-29-2011 at 10:41 PM.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #15
    anjaloba

ANOTHER UPDATE: "Tiny House"

Hello Everyone,

I've just begun to look into compact septic systems and gray water treatment systems for the likes of tiny house campgrounds, including property types that don't percolate for septic systems. Here's one link I found... a string in many to follow:

https://www.bluewateratu.com/why-bluewater/

From my point of view one prominent thought that continues to rear it's head is the way the county has continually overlooked these types of alternative septic system designs. Far be it for me to claim full education on the permit process of septic systems; I have limited experience doing my own research on other properties and what I have noticed is this: How the heck can the county continue to put the lid on the advancing technology of compact septic system design, while holding on to the antiquated designs specifications of large septic systems? Perhaps large septic systems keep rampant development in check where smaller and technologically advanced systems would let property development take over. Poly-Anna here will check with the county and ask them when or if there will be a time where they will begin to recognize the merits of compact septic systems, where policy changes will begin to move in concert with advanced septic technology. I'm sure many a property owner have grown tired of this old line. Do you think they'll give me a straight answer??? Best, Jennifer

I will follow the links, thanks for your energy and focus!

23. TopTop #16
    ecoearthyacht

Hello everyone interested in small affordable housing solutions , including tiny homes and vintage trailers , etc. At this meeting , we are wanting to add to the discussion the start of an alliance to support sustainable affordable housing in Sonoma county.

As one who restores vintage airstream and spartan trailers for housing and other uses, I am well aware of the county PRMD not yet cooperating in supporting the growing trend and demand for tiny mobile and other alternative housing options . They are illegal as such in the zoning definitions. Homeowners and land owners also want to share their land for community , affordable housing ,and help in sharing their costs of affording their mortgages in these downturn economic times. It is time to join forces politically , along with all the unregistered non conforming granny unit owners who also offer affordable housing options.

I invite further discussion before the meeting , and there on how we can form alliances to change the zoning under experimental provisions with PRMD regulations. Also they do not allow or even consider Sunmar and other alternative septic systems because of their entrenched financial interests and use of this to control development for parcels that would not perk in traditional means.

The point is we are forming valid and essential alternatives in this mobile and small house movement for affordable housing that can not be stopped. We must work together politically . Please contact me if you own property or a tiny home and want to create legal viable options to site such alternative homes . As of now , the county red tags and criminallizes us for our innovation and urgent need for affordable housing options.Join the Alliance for Sustainable Affordable Housing and help us take the next step. Tim at [email protected] .
    Last edited by Barry; 01-30-2011 at 11:43 PM.

24. TopTop #17
    Pavini

What an interesting thread. About seven months ago, I purchased a converted school bus, and have been living in it in Sebastopol with my two kids. It was really hard to find someone in town willing to rent space to me b/c it's illegal... which is just dumb. I am choosing to be unemployed, and owning a small home helps me not have to go to a job and sell my soul. It feels good to live more simply, smaller, and with less impact. I will continue to follow this thread, and love the grassroots nature of the organizing.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #18
    bengarland

Count me in! I have been thinking the same thing for a while, too... unfortunately I will be out of town during the scheduled meeting on Feb 19th. Please keep me in the loop. Maybe we can all meet for a beer/tea/coffee one night next week in Petaluma? Anyone up for it?

Ben

27. TopTop #19
    Sun Source Solar

Hi Ben,

Yep! I'm up for this. I would also add that this discussion could be a follow-up "debrief" with those who want to meet, say sometime after the February 19th meeting??? I only mention this, as it may give us more grist for the mill to have points to talk over. However, if there's enough response here publicly, then I'm all for that too! Anyone else want to take Ben up on gathering before the February 19th meeting? Any suggestions on where to meet? Thanks for you reply Ben.

Best,

Jennifer of Sun Source Solar Brokers

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bengarland: View Post
    Count me in! I have been thinking the same thing for a while, too... unfortunately I will be out of town during the scheduled meeting on Feb 19th. Please keep me in the loop. Maybe we can all meet for a beer/tea/coffee one night next week in Petaluma? Anyone up for it?

Ben
    Last edited by Sun Source Solar; 02-01-2011 at 10:52 PM.

28. TopTop #20
    Sun Source Solar

Hello everyone,

UPDATE:

Thanks for making it out to the "Tiny House" meeting today! It was a great start to sharing ideas and exchanging information.

SO WHAT'S NEXT?

The next step is to tactfully dig a little deeper into RV park permitting issues with the Sonoma County PRMD, as well as permitting issues with mobile RV's (including tiny houses) being permanently and legally parked on private property...e.g. acreage, or even a tract-home backyard.

A handful of us plan to move ahead with a strategy and eventual proposal to present to the PRMD and the board of supervisors based on the aforementioned. We want to see our way to collaborate and influence positive and improved change within the existing mobile RV guidelines to include speculation around "Tiny Houses", composting toilets and gray water septic amenities on private property. For example, a "Tiny House" pilot project might be one suggestion for collaboration.

If any of you are interested in joining this action, then please start replying here and to my private email, and let your voice be heard. We need more help than just a handful of volunteers. Any contribution would be a step in building the support that's needed to get the attention this topic deserves.

Best,

Jennifer, as Sun Source Solar

Hello,

I'm looking to collaborate with "Tiny House" enthusiasts and Acreage Property Owners to strike a deal.

For the last several years I have lived in a 450 square foot studio, and while it's nice, I want to begin planning my due diligence phase for making a move into a mobile version of a "tiny house" with the same square footage; something I can OWN and no property taxes.

• Locate like minded people who are in the midst of due diligence for the same kind of move.
    • People who want a stick built type "Tiny House" and NOT an RV type camper community.
    • Find other tiny house people who have already made the move for support and advice.
    • Network with property owners who own five acres or more, and who are open to leasing a portion of their property to a quiet and peaceful tiny house community of five or six residents... or whatever number is comfortable.

You see, even a tiny house on a trailer needs a home, that is, a piece of land on which to reside. This can be achieved by a small group of tiny house converts locating a piece of property to turn into a real-life registered campground.

How and what hurdles?

It may not be ideal to purchase a piece of property, as this would be too much of a legal hassle on joint property ownership, though, I wouldn't rule it out if legally feasible. However, if we could lease a property from a land owner who is progressive thinking, then we could establish a campground that would allow us to park our mobile homes without trouble from the county. This is an idealistic dream of mine, but I think within sensible reach.

Ideally...

• It would be nice to have a small community of adults Maybe five or six residents who want to pull this off.
    • A quiet community with a vegetable garden, some landscape and a mix of perma-culture.
    • Affordable, off-grid style housing with aesthetic architectural beauty in mind.

Please let me know if you're interested or know someone who can help! Thank you, Jennifer.
    Last edited by Sun Source Solar; 02-19-2011 at 08:03 PM.

29. TopTop #21
    Sun Source Solar

Hello everyone,

TINY HOUSE UPDATE:

I gathered more information on Monday regarding what it will take to move forward with the "Tiny House" and RV movement in Sonoma County. Here are some facts, and please if there are any inaccuracies, then let me know. However, I'm doing my best to re-translate what I was given by a friendly and informative contact within the Sonoma County PRMD Planning Department. I'm not mentioning her name publicly, since I didn't ask her if it was appropriate to do so. And I need to check before I post here, as I don't want to create a flurry of calls to her unless she sees it coming.

Moving on:

This venture could be costly for an applicant wanting to move forward, either as a coalition or for any individual. It will cost an estimated $15,000 in administrative costs to amend the current text that exists for RV regulations currently in force. To add a forth criteria will trigger several studies and reports, and time to review those ensuing reports:

1. EIR..."Environmental Impact Report"... for example, a water table study on how tiny houses will affect ground water, including water usage and supply. In addition, a traffic study on the hypothetical increase in tiny house population may be required ...$4,000.

2. Well and septic study on how tiny houses will utilize well and septic waste water...$4,100...plus a possible $1,500 more, depending on how extensive the study becomes.

3. County fire review...$200-300

4. Zone change fees... I'll find out $$$

5. Deposit....$4,000. Apologies on not defining this one. I forgot to ask.

WHAT IT MEANS:

If supporters of tiny houses and RV's can pull together and prove a new "special use regulation", then the cost might be reduced to $7,500 because of it showing exceptional merit. Otherwise, the price tag is $15,000.

On top of this, it's a tough uphill climb because the county board of supervisors does not have the budget to put this issue on the work books to give it the attention it deserves. So, again, the coalition will have to give the tiny house/RV cause hefty merit for them to take notice via a well articulated proposal delivered by one appointed leader of the group.

So it's here that I am gracefully bowing out of this cause for the interim folks. To be frank, I'm disappointed, and relieved at the same time because I realize I do not want to muster the grit to go at it right now, at least not against these financial obstacles. However, I know in my heart that ANYTHING worth getting is not easy, and takes real effort... no PollyAnna's allowed!

But you can bet that I'll check in on this issue from time to time, because in the next next few years I want to locate my own tiny house out in the countryside, so I'll have to face the task sooner or later with all the other good people who want the same.

Best to all who supported this thread with your feedback and showing up at the meeting. Special thanks to Katy Remley and Stephen Marshall for imparting information and for hosting at Little House on The Trailer in Petaluma.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Coleman at Sun Source Solar

Hello everyone,

UPDATE:

Thanks for making it out to the "Tiny House" meeting today! It was a great start to sharing ideas and exchanging information.

SO WHAT'S NEXT?

The next step is to tactfully dig a little deeper into RV park permitting issues with the Sonoma County PRMD, as well as permitting issues with mobile RV's (including tiny houses) being permanently and legally parked on private property...e.g. acreage, or even a tract-home backyard.

A handful of us plan to move ahead with a strategy and eventual proposal to present to the PRMD and the board of supervisors based on the aforementioned. We want to see our way to collaborate and influence positive and improved change within the existing mobile RV guidelines to include speculation around "Tiny Houses", composting toilets and gray water septic amenities on private property. For example, a "Tiny House" pilot project might be one suggestion for collaboration.

If any of you are interested in joining this action, then please start replying here and to my private email, and let your voice be heard. We need more help than just a handful of volunteers. Any contribution would be a step in building the support that's needed to get the attention this topic deserves.

Best,

Jennifer, as Sun Source Solar
    Last edited by Sun Source Solar; 02-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.

30. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

31. TopTop #22
    tom merle

Hi everyone.

Just now surfing in. It seems to me the most practical solution is to locate an existing park with infrastructure and approvals already in place. Of course, easier said than done. However, I think this location up the road from Petaluma has promise. The owners have put it on the market in the past then took it off when offers didn't approach their desired amount. Have a look :
    https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1530...hnert-Park-CA/
    https://www.winecountryrvparksonoma.com/

A huge challenge and larger than was being considered, but starting with greenfields just won't happen.

Cordially,

Tom Merle
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alter...111800?sk=wall

32. Gratitude expressed by:

33. TopTop #23
    Sun Source Solar

Hi Tom,

Good news. Parking a permanent mobile RV on a private landowners property will not be insurmountable, and the regulations are in progress to change for grandfathered RV parks. Just needs some more time. However, look for this within the next 12 months through the PRMD and the Board of Supervisors. So at least part of the problem will be addressed.

I believe starting with green-fields can be done...absolutely, but it will take a well lead coalition, time, effort, and at least $15,000. Times will change where the county will be forced to look at affordable housing and consider a well fashioned proposal to merit studies and changes to the existing RV Mobile housing amendments. Ideally, it would be nice to someday be able to house an RV or Tiny House on private property, not necessarily in an RV park.

I checked out the real estate links you posted. Yes. This is an alternative. The site you posted for sale has 152 RV's on five acres. This thread was started with the intention of being able to locate a mobile RV on private property, or within a SMALL intentional community, say 30 Tiny Houses. But I catch your intention and what you are trying to get across, so your point is not lost on me.

Purchasing and developing and licensing a piece of land zoned for RV use could cost about $1,000,000 or more. Prime real estate within our local county will cost even more upwards to $1.5 to $2.0 million, depending on the amenities, and where the development is starting. Here's a link to some Northern California RV parks for sale.

https://www.rvparkstore.com/rv-park-...k-for-sale.htm

Me? I'm looking to park my little hacienda on someone's beautiful countryside property and pay them a reasonable tenant ground rent.

Best,

Jennifer at Sun Source Solar

https://www.rvparkstore.com/rv-park-...k-for-sale.htm

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tom merle: View Post
    Hi everyone.

Just now surfing in. It seems to me the most practical solution is to locate an existing park with infrastructure and approvals already in place. Of course, easier said than done. However, I think this location up the road from Petaluma has promise. The owners have put it on the market in the past then took it off when offers didn't approach their desired amount. Have a look :
    https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1530...hnert-Park-CA/
    https://www.winecountryrvparksonoma.com/

A huge challenge and larger than was being considered, but starting with greenfields just won't happen.

Cordially,

Tom Merle
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alter...111800?sk=wall
    Last edited by Sun Source Solar; 02-25-2011 at 10:35 PM.

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #24
    tommy

I've been following this thread with hopeful interest, and skepticism. Land use regulations are tough, in my view, because whenever you want to do something "out of the box", adjacent land owners will complain. While noble and idealistic, the "Tiny House" enthusiasts are trying to get something for nothing - like having a tiny house in a beautiful bucolic place of million dollar homes or ranches on large acreages. The more realistic prospect of a tiny house in a trailer park on Santa Rosa Avenue is probably less appealing. The nearest solution is an existing multi unit property with historic use. Like alot of things, while seemingly simple, housing is complex with many caveats to comply with.

Hello everyone,

TINY HOUSE UPDATE:

I gathered more information on Monday regarding what it will take to move forward with the "Tiny House" and RV movement in Sonoma County. Here are some facts, and please if there are any inaccuracies, then let me know. However, I'm doing my best to re-translate what I was given by a friendly and informative contact within the Sonoma County PRMD Planning Department. I'm not mentioning her name publicly, since I didn't ask her if it was appropriate to do so. And I need to check before I post here, as I don't want to create a flurry of calls to her unless she sees it coming.

Moving on:

This venture could be costly for an applicant wanting to move forward, either as a coalition or for any individual. It will cost an estimated $15,000 in administrative costs to amend the current text that exists for RV regulations currently in force. To add a forth criteria will trigger several studies and reports, and time to review those ensuing reports:

1. EIR..."Environmental Impact Report"... for example, a water table study on how tiny houses will affect ground water, including water usage and supply. In addition, a traffic study on the hypothetical increase in tiny house population may be required ...$4,000.

2. Well and septic study on how tiny houses will utilize well and septic waste water...$4,100...plus a possible $1,500 more, depending on how extensive the study becomes.

3. County fire review...$200-300

4. Zone change fees... I'll find out $$$

5. Deposit....$4,000. Apologies on not defining this one. I forgot to ask.

WHAT IT MEANS:

If supporters of tiny houses and RV's can pull together and prove a new "special use regulation", then the cost might be reduced to $7,500 because of it showing exceptional merit. Otherwise, the price tag is $15,000.

On top of this, it's a tough uphill climb because the county board of supervisors does not have the budget to put this issue on the work books to give it the attention it deserves. So, again, the coalition will have to give the tiny house/RV cause hefty merit for them to take notice via a well articulated proposal delivered by one appointed leader of the group.

So it's here that I am gracefully bowing out of this cause for the interim folks. To be frank, I'm disappointed, and relieved at the same time because I realize I do not want to muster the grit to go at it right now, at least not against these financial obstacles. However, I know in my heart that ANYTHING worth getting is not easy, and takes real effort... no PollyAnna's allowed!

But you can bet that I'll check in on this issue from time to time, because in the next next few years I want to locate my own tiny house out in the countryside, so I'll have to face the task sooner or later with all the other good people who want the same.

Best to all who supported this thread with your feedback and showing up at the meeting. Special thanks to Katy Remley and Stephen Marshall for imparting information and for hosting at Little House on The Trailer in Petaluma.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Coleman at Sun Source Solar

36. Gratitude expressed by:

37. TopTop #25
    glenclem

Check out the Thursday New York Times Home section. The main article is about "Microhomes" being built back east. You can now (finally!) read the NYTs at the Sebastopol library or online @ NYTimes.com
    Glen

How and what hurdles?

Ideally...

38. TopTop #26
    Sun Source Solar

Hello Tommy,

Thanks for your comment.

Hang in there. Idealistic as it it, I believe without a doubt that the County will change in due time. Rhetorically speaking, getting things done takes ingenuous strategizing and a lot of kung foo moves. Once a coalition forms in earnest, things WILL change... because conflict ALWAYS gives rise to change.

If I had to go to the mat with the county as a lone applicant, I know I could get the laws to change, but it may take five to seven years of fund-raising, a lot of meetings, drafting memorandums, etc.... but it would happen.

People CAN and WILL have a tiny house on someone else's bucolic multi-million dollar property. They'll either do it legally or they'll break the law doing it, but that's been going on for a long time anyway. LOL Sometimes it's easier to break the law, despite our best intentions to work with the county because the long and drawn out bureaucratic system eggs us into doing it.

However, I think purchasing a piece of property with enough investors is a great idea as well. Someday, I may be prepared to by-in if the price is right. The only turn off for me is that I'm simply not equipped to support all that goes into owning a piece of property and maintaining it, property taxes, "tenant in common"... financing and legal issues. No. That's where I'm back to just wanting to park my rig on some one else's property; striking a financial land rent and barter deal that works for both of us.

Best,

Jennifer at Sun Source Solar

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    I've been following this thread with hopeful interest, and skepticism. Land use regulations are tough, in my view, because whenever you want to do something "out of the box", adjacent land owners will complain. While noble and idealistic, the "Tiny House" enthusiasts are trying to get something for nothing - like having a tiny house in a beautiful bucolic place of million dollar homes or ranches on large acreages. The more realistic prospect of a tiny house in a trailer park on Santa Rosa Avenue is probably less appealing. The nearest solution is an existing multi unit property with historic use. Like alot of things, while seemingly simple, housing is complex with many caveats to comply with.
    Last edited by Sun Source Solar; 02-26-2011 at 11:17 AM.

39. TopTop #27
    anjaloba

+Thanks for the meeting last month and the continuing updates! Good Work. We were injured on the road and recovering so not on-line much since meeting you and the rest of the Tiny House Brigade.

40. TopTop #28
    Sun Source Solar

Hello everyone,

TINY HOUSE UPDATE:

The Little House on the Trailer employee, Katy Remley, who spoke at our March 19, 2011 meeting on codes & regulations for little houses, has come up with an idea that might keep this dream of a little house collective alive.

HOW???

Katy belongs to a group called "Transition Sebastopol Elders' Salon" and she is going to present our TINY HOUSE idea and other concepts around the tiny house movement to them.

Recently, a veteran "Intentional Community" start-up person attended one of the "Transitional Sebastopol Elder Salon" meetings and asked the group to consider his idea of taking a look @ St Anthony's Organic Farm & Dairy on Valley Ford Road for a possible Intentional Community... (it just happens that he's a dairyman, himself.) Saint Anthony's Dairy has been for sale for years. GOOD NEWS! "Little Houses" are legal on that kind of property.

SO NOW...

Katy is looking to connect Wacco Little House people with the Elders' Salon people and in with her own Intentional Community group that she's been co-directing for several years. With this said, please be sure to check back on this thread for Katy's progress.

As for myself, I will be staying in touch with Katy, and all of you via this thread, but gracfully bowing out of pursing the County PRMD or Supervisors for reason of the $15,000 needed to get this issue on the move. But please folks, don't throw in the towel, because as I mentioned in earlier threads, this is not the end of the road. In fact, there is cause for hope to move Tiny Houses forward. I truly do not see any impediment to progress, other than the $15,000 and the economic situation for the Board of Supervisors to put this onto their work load. YES, you may think I'm crazy for saying that's not an obstacle. But when it comes to this stuff, most matters are NOT insurmountable, but it just TAKES A HELL OF A LONG TIME and TENACITY, to which I do not have either at my disposal. When the economic time is right, I'm sure this issue will be taken up once more by me, or by a collective of us.

In the meantime, just want to say "Thanks" to all of you for your support and comments. And to Stephen Marshall too. Stephen, I hope the Tiny House meeting brought some new exposure to your business. I haven't spoken with you since then, but I hope it was positive for you.

All the best,

Jennifer @ Sun Source Solar

Quote Posted in reply to the post by anjaloba: View Post
    +Thanks for the meeting last month and the continuing updates! Good Work. We were injured on the road and recovering so not on-line much since meeting you and the rest of the Tiny House Brigade.

41. TopTop #29
    Temeluch

There needs to be a natural integration between the land, and the people, as a community.

Everyone should have a chance to build their own Solar Powered Homestead, ideally, from which they can grow their own food, for sale and trade, within the community, of like minded people.

Join us, at the Sustainable Communities Meet on March 26.

https://sustcomm.com/18.htm

42. TopTop #30
    Sun Source Solar

Hello everyone

Tiny House UPDATE:

Katy Remley and her plan to link Transition-Sebastopol Elders' Salon people AND the Wacco-Little House people with her Intentional Community people ----- well, it's looks as if it's going to happen.

HOW?

Katy has located a known veteran of the Intentional Community and he has agreed to head it up. What's next is to catch everyone up via email, then arrange for a NEW MEETING to take place.

WHAT WILL BE DISCUSSED:

The project centers around the idea of buying St Anthony's Organic Farm & Dairy out on Valley Ford/Petaluma Road. Currently, it seems that little houses, unless occupied by a caregiver or someone who needs care-giving, may not be legally possible on that property as permanent housing. However, just recently Katy has received information that a well-positioned Sonoma County person has decided to draft a proposal to create legislation that would legalize little houses as permanent dwellings.

So if you're still interested in a community living situation, which may or may not include little houses, contact Katy at [email protected].

All the best to you and Katy!

Jennifer @ Sun Source Solar
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2013 at 09:49 AM.