Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Ron Paul exposed as homophobe in movie, "Brüno"

Brüno is an outstanding comedy. I cried more than once simply because I laughed so hard. It is available at video stores and libraries. This is more proof that Ron Paul is a right-wing bigot, hate monger, and fascist clown, who does not believe in democracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brüno
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    DynamicBalance

Re: Ron Paul exposed as homophobe in movie, "Brüno"

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    Brüno is an outstanding comedy. I cried more than once simply because I laughed so hard. It is available at video stores and libraries. This is more proof that Ron Paul is a right-wing bigot, hate monger, and fascist clown, who does not believe in democracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brüno
    Are you saying that it is not understandable for a heterosexual man to get angry when an actor tricks him into doing an interview under false pretenses and then pulls down his pants in front of him, in order to make money for his movie? Ron Paul is not gay, and therefore he does not want gay guys hitting on him; and you're saying that makes him a bigot??? Can't say I understand your logic.

Could you please provide some examples of Ron Paul being a "hate-monger" and a "fascist clown"? Do you even know what fascism means? It sure doesn't seem like it. You say he does not believe in democracy.....but Ron Paul is a strong proponent of states' rights. Surely we, as individuals, have more influence over the laws of the state that we live in than over federal laws, do we not? When the federal government makes a law that "trumps state law", wouldn't that be anti-democracy? That would be taking away the people's right to choose for themselves. Don't you support the right of the state to legalize marijuana, or to legalize gay marriage if they so choose? Why then would you not support states' rights in general? Or do you only support the right of the people to choose when it comes to issues you agree with?

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

Quit changing the subject to your pet political "philosophy." Ron Paul is a homophobe and a reprehensible man who should never hold public office. Meanwhile, you might want to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0

Quote Posted in reply to the post by DynamicBalance: View Post
    Are you saying that it is not understandable for a heterosexual man to get angry when an actor tricks him into doing an interview under false pretenses and then pulls down his pants in front of him, in order to make money for his movie? Ron Paul is not gay, and therefore he does not want gay guys hitting on him; and you're saying that makes him a bigot??? Can't say I understand your logic.
    Last edited by Valley Oak; 12-24-2010 at 04:31 PM.

5. TopTop #4

Quit changing the subject to your pet political "philosophy." Ron Paul is a homophobe and a reprehensible man who should never hold public office. Meanwhile, you might want to watch this video:

I think you are a reprehensible little coward, old man. Have you no shame? Oh wait, I know the answer to that question already..... Why must you always evade inconvenient questions and lie about peoples character? Your good at being a dick behind the anonymity of a computer, but a coward when it comes to the real world and owning up to your snake-like ways. Just like you weaseled out of meeting me when Barry wanted us to work things out over a beer. You pretended you were going to take a hiatus from wacco so you could get out of meeting me, but that lasted only two days! Its pretty obvious what that was really all about. Like I said, youre a coward with nothing good to say here. Answer some tough questions or take your intolerant act somewhere else.

Oh, and don;t be a hypocrite and tell us all what youre doing to cut your fossil fuel pollution. After all you said that thread would be such a good idea. You and all the other alarmists are in for a good public scorning in my opinion......

6. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Hey folks on this thread-

Where's the Christmas Cheer?
    I'm going to move this to Censored and UnCensored.

I'll have a private word with Edward/Valley Oak as well.

Barry

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #6
    theindependenteye

>>> ...you are a reprehensible little coward ... old man. ... Your good at being a dick ... a coward ... your snake-like ways ... youre a coward ... a hypocrite ...

Ah, takes me back to my boyhood on the playground. We used a more pungent vocabulary, but the level of thought was the same.

-Conrad

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #7
    DynamicBalance

Quote Posted in reply to the post by theindependenteye: View Post
    >>> ...you are a reprehensible little coward ... old man. ... Your good at being a dick ... a coward ... your snake-like ways ... youre a coward ... a hypocrite ...

Ah, takes me back to my boyhood on the playground. We used a more pungent vocabulary, but the level of thought was the same.

-Conrad
    >>> ....right-wing bigot ... hate monger ... fascist clown ... homophobe ... reprehensible man ...

Does this take you back to your boyhood on the playground as well? Just wondering...

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #8
    DynamicBalance

It is ironic that you are accusing me of changing the subject while simultaneously ignoring all of my questions. In fact, every single thing I said was in direct response to something you said, which could hardly be considered changing the subject. You asserted that "Ron Paul doesn't believe in democracy"; I said he does, and I provided my reasoning to back up my position. Would you care to explain how that qualifies as changing the subject?

Since you did avoid my questions, I will reiterate them:

1. Do you really think that if a man gets angry because another man tricks him into an interview, tricks him into going into a room alone that looks like a hotel room, tries to seduce him, and takes his pants off while blocking the door, that makes him a homophobe?

2. Please provide some examples of Ron Paul acting as a "hate-monger" and a "fascist clown". If you are going to make statements like this, you should be prepared to back them up with some kind of real facts.

3. Do you know what fascism means? What is your understanding of the meaning of fascism?

4. Do you think that individual citizens of this country have more of an impact on the politics of their state, or those of the federal government?

5. Do you think that it is not anti-democracy if a federal law "trumps" state law?

6. Do you think that states should only have the right to choose their own laws when those laws are things you agree with?

I'll add a couple more for good measure:

7. If it had been a married woman (or any woman for that matter) instead of Ron Paul who had been tricked into doing an interview under false pretenses, tricked into going into a "hotel room" alone with a man, only to have him try to seduce her and take his pants off in front of her, would you call her sexist for being angry and disgusted? If not, please explain how that scenario is somehow different than the one with Ron Paul.

8. Are you trying to insinuate that I am somehow not "okay" with gay people? That is not an accusation that I take lightly. Please do clarify.

If you can't answer these simple questions asking you to clarify your positions and provide documentation for your statements, I'll be forced to conclude that you aren't mature enough to carry on a real conversation. I'm not going to waste my time with someone like that.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #9
    Valley Oak

Merry Christmas to you too, Laurel!

Thank you for demonstrating that you are thinking of me on Christmas Day, along with your family and friends. I feel so connected to you now and a part of your family in this way. Thank you!

Gay Love to You and Yours,

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by DynamicBalance: View Post
    It is ironic that you are accusing me of changing the subject while simultaneously ignoring all of my questions. In fact, every single thing I said was in direct response to something you said, which could hardly be considered changing the subject. You asserted that "Ron Paul doesn't believe in democracy"; I said he does, and I provided my reasoning to back up my position. Would you care to explain how that qualifies as changing the subject?

15. TopTop #10
    Valley Oak

Merry Christmas to you too, Brad!!!

Wow! So much Christmas spirit and love! Thank you!

Hugs and kisses to you Brad. You are such a sweetie in your own special, cute way. I love it how you get so dominant here on the list. Makes me wonder how much of a tiger you are in the bedroom!

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by someguy: View Post

16. TopTop #11
    DynamicBalance

Merry Christmas to you too, Laurel!

Thank you for demonstrating that you are thinking of me on Christmas Day, along with your family and friends. I feel so connected to you now and a part of your family in this way. Thank you!

Gay Love to You and Yours,

Edward
    I accidentally posted this message on my husband's account. Here it is again, embellished slightly:

Okay, you're clearly not willing to have a discussion with anyone who disagrees with you. To me that is the epitome of closed-mindedness and intolerance of others. How can you accuse others of changing the subject when you are the one who is doing that? Not going to waste my time with you.

17. TopTop #12
    Valley Oak

Merry Christmas to EVERYONE! (including Ron Paul and his even more pungent son, Rand)

Celebration video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc80...eature=related

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #13
    theindependenteye

>>>>>> ....right-wing bigot ... hate monger ... fascist clown ... homophobe ... reprehensible man ...

>>>Does this take you back to your boyhood on the playground as well? Just wondering...

No, we never dealt with such sophisticated concepts, and Joe McCarthy was pretty popular then.

But to the point I think you're making. The above terminology isn't very illuminating either. But personally, I don't mind as much when mud is flung at public figures — in this forum it seems to me that Obama, Gore, etc., get plastered more frequently and violently than Ron Paul, and I just hit delete.

Only difference here is that the language I cited was directed at someone in this community. For some reason, that makes a difference to me. YMMV. It's been going back and forth in this arena for some time and renders it almost unreadable. I've refrained from responding to a lot of name-calling intended to encompass the whole diminishing herd of Liberals online here, because more and more it seems to be Primal Scream therapy in the guise of debate. Toss a tennis ball to my son's dog, it just keeps coming back atcha. Once in a while, with nothing better to do, I do.

But in the interests of "fair and balanced," I should say that I really cringe when people of any stripe go into direct ad hominum attacks on others who share this space directly. IQ levels plunge COLLECTIVELY. Soon we'll all be pulling legs off bugs.

Peace & joy—
    Conrad

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #14
    DynamicBalance

Quote Posted in reply to the post by theindependenteye: View Post
    Only difference here is that the language I cited was directed at someone in this community. For some reason, that makes a difference to me. YMMV. It's been going back and forth in this arena for some time and renders it almost unreadable. I've refrained from responding to a lot of name-calling intended to encompass the whole diminishing herd of Liberals online here, because more and more it seems to be Primal Scream therapy in the guise of debate. Toss a tennis ball to my son's dog, it just keeps coming back atcha. Once in a while, with nothing better to do, I do.

But in the interests of "fair and balanced," I should say that I really cringe when people of any stripe go into direct ad hominum attacks on others who share this space directly. IQ levels plunge COLLECTIVELY. Soon we'll all be pulling legs off bugs.

Peace & joy—
    Conrad
    I appreciate your attempt to be fair and balanced. I agree that ad hominem attacks do not add much to intelligent discussion, but I think that is true whether they are directed at a public figure or someone in our local community. After all, we are all one big Earth community, right?

On the other hand, I find it equally immature when one refuses to acknowledge anything that another person has (respectfully) said, as Valley Oak has done in this thread. Any thoughts on this?

I wish you a wonderful Christmas!

-Laurel
    Last edited by DynamicBalance; 12-25-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Christmas wish for Conrad

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #15
    DynamicBalance

Would anyone else like to comment on their thoughts about this whole Ron Paul/Bruno thing? I would really like hear more opinions about this.

For the record, I think Sacha Baron Cohen is very funny, and I think he is funny as Bruno. Here is one of my favorite Bruno clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhP0tOm6yt0

I also think that its quite understandable how Ron Paul reacted to Bruno's antics, given the circumstances. What does everyone else think? I would actually like to have an intelligent conversation about this topic, and I am disappointed that it has not happened.

Happy Christmas!

-Laurel

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #16
    Valley Oak

This is an example of what all of this anti-gay hysteria has led to:

https://www.theonion.com/video/new-a...to-smoke,14373

26. TopTop #17
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Just to be clear, my main problem with Edward's post below was not that he made ad hominem (and inaccurate, IMO) attacks against Ron Paul, but rather it was such a blatant baiting to inspire an impassioned defense and counter-attack, far from the thoughtful dialog that I try to encourage here.

Brad (someguy) took the bait and fell into the trap. OTOH, I commend his wife, Laurel (DynamicBalance) for responding less emotionally. "The Women are Smarter!"

My tolerance for personal attacks decreases as the target comes closer to home. So that Ron Paul (like GW Bush) is afforded less protection than members of our community, IMO.

However, in this case, the slander against Ron Paul was directed against fellow community members.

... This is more proof that Ron Paul is a right-wing bigot, hate monger, and fascist clown, who does not believe in democracy....
    Last edited by Barry; 12-25-2010 at 05:44 PM.

27. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

28. TopTop #18
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Merry Christmas to you too, Brad!!!

Wow! So much Christmas spirit and love! Thank you!

Hugs and kisses to you Brad. You are such a sweetie in your own special, cute way. I love it how you get so dominant here on the list. Makes me wonder how much of a tiger you are in the bedroom!

Edward
    More Baiting...

29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

30. TopTop #19

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Brad (someguy) took the bait and fell into the trap.
    Well, you might know that I have respectfully disagreed with VO's point of view many many times, especially lately. However, he just ignores my points and pulls his same little game on me over and over again. I felt that my post on this thread was completely justified as sometimes people who are acting like jerks need to be told so in this manner. It obviously doesn't ever work with him (VO) to be nice, so I figured I'd really let him have it. Although I will admit that it hasn't changed a thing. I don't regret the words I chose and I wholeheartedly stand by them as true observations of the mans character, or lack of. Barry, I do appreciate your open mindedness and ability to see through his shady tactics, and his inaccurate attacks on Ron Paul. Good job with the moderation!

31. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

32. TopTop #20
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

This is an example of what all of this anti-gay hysteria has led to:

https://www.theonion.com/video/new-a...to-smoke,14373
    Notice that this is on the Onion. This is satire, and well-done!

33. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

34. TopTop #21

Gays in support of Ron Paul!

And in his own words:

35. Gratitude expressed by:

36. TopTop #22
    Valley Oak

Conservatives Warn Quick Sex Change Only Barrier Between Gays, Marriage:

Click here for news video

37. TopTop #23
    theindependenteye

>>>Would anyone else like to comment on their thoughts about this whole Ron Paul/Bruno thing? I would really like hear more opinions about this. ,,, I also think that its quite understandable how Ron Paul reacted to Bruno's antics, given the circumstances. What does everyone else think? I would actually like to have an intelligent conversation about this topic, and I am disappointed that it has not happened.

Hi, Laurel--

I didn't see the video that sparked this thread, so just looked at various "Bruno" clips on Youtube.

It's a matter of taste, I guess. To me, his work is funny, but in a very sick, slick, sleazy way, like the Jerry Springer sort of thing: inducing people to show their very worst side, ridiculing them for it, making us all feel superior but secretly thankful that we're not the ones who've been had. Maybe, being a comedy writer most of my life, I'm envious that someone can get laughs just by a quirky skill in seducing other people to show their asses to us without showing his own. I see comments calling him "courageous" -- no, I'd call him "impervious."

The whole "Bruno" character, to me, is a pretty disgusting gay stereotype. Hard to imagine that gays wouldn't find it repulsive, except that being gay doesn't necessarily exempt one from being stupid. Certainly, "camp" itself is a kind of reverse-spin cooption-of-stereotype that can be seen to be politically kosher & clever, but for me personally, it's just adolescent self-armoring.

Inevitably, the question comes up: well, do I see Michael Moore's confrontational tactics in the same light? I don't. Certainly I wouldn't like him as much if he were a right-winger, and also I think it's a gimmick whose time is past — he's a good enough filmmaker to not have to rely on the same schtick he used so effectively in "Roger and Me." But for me, when he's confronting corporate shills or NRA figureheads or Congressmen, he's confronting people in power about issues directly, not just dropping his pants. It's outrageous because these people are, by their position, insulated from our asking the simplest questions, and whatever our political stance, the questions themselves are valid. IMHO.

As for Ron Paul, no comment. There are more important questions raised, I think, than whether he's a homophobe or a racist or a fascist, whatever. I think I understand the logic of libertarianism, but I can't agree that government is our biggest threat. Bringing up these catchwords is doing the same thing that the dirty-jokes accusations against Clarence Thomas did in his hearings: setting up a straw man that diverted attention from the fact (IMO) that he was utterly unqualified for confirmation. The ascendancy of libertarianism, it seems to me, will mean that instead of having to spend tons of money buying politicians, the multinational corporations will simply BE the government, and we'll maintain our God-given freedom to get poisoned, exploited, impoverished and hung up to dry — by our betters. Oops, I digress: I said "no comment."

Re. Bruno: funny stuff, sadly.

Peace & joy anyway--
    Conrad

38. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

39. TopTop #24

*deleted*

40. TopTop #25
    DynamicBalance

Hi Conrad,

Thanks for sharing your views. Here's the video of Ron Paul with Bruno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7RnlPQCKBQ
    Hi Conrad,

Thanks for sharing your views. Here's the video of Ron Paul with Bruno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7RnlPQCKBQ

And here's Ron Paul's reaction later on, and his take on Bruno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHVnDQOsOic

I would have to agree with you, and Ron Paul, that this kind of comedy is a pretty sad reflection of our culture. Personally, I would not feel good about myself putting people in the kinds of situations that Sacha Baron Cohen does, misleading people, taking advantage of them and making money off it. While I do think he is quite funny, I definitely wouldn't call him "courageous". As far as the gay stereotype he is embodying, I also find it pretty obnoxious. Most of the gay people I know are just ordinary people who happen to have a different sexual preference. Nothing like Bruno.

I think the Libertarian point of view is that if we limit the government's power (specifically, to the powers outlined in the Constitution), then whether the corporations are buying off the politicians or simply act as the government themselves, they will be limited in the scope of their power over the people. I do not consider myself a Libertarian or a member of any political party, but I definitely think this aspect of Libertarianism makes a lot of sense.

If the people really wanted to stop being poisoned, for example, they would educate themselves about the many poisons ubiquitous in our environment, water, and food supply, and how to avoid them. They would educate themselves about, say, detoxification pathways of the liver and how to support them so they could learn how to defend their bodies against what they are exposed to. And above all, they would stop giving their hard earned dollars to the very people who are poisoning them, to the extent that they possibly could. These multinational corporations don't get their money out of nowhere, after all. They don't put a gun to our heads and force us to buy their products. Public awareness and understanding is what brings about real change, not government. Giving the government power to regulate poisons in the food supply has clearly done nothing to alleviate the actual problem. Instead, we end up with the regulators labeling real foods like raw milk as dangerous, and raiding small farmers to put them out of business so they won't compete with the corporate dairy industry's profits. Meanwhile, food processors can label their products as "trans fat free" when they clearly do contain trans fat, as evidenced by the ingredient list, and the FDA turns a blind eye. Nearly all of our processed food is full of MSG, hidden with names like hydrolyzed soy protein, with not a peep from the FDA. Trans fat definitely qualifies as a poison, and MSG is used to induce obesity in lab rats (do a PubMed search for "MSG-induced obesity").

So relying on the government to save us (and expanding their powers in the process) is clearly not working. What people need to do, in my opinion, is to start relying on themselves and not just trust what the government and the corporate media tells them. We all have brains, and by God, we should use them! Both of the poisons that I mentioned are very easy to avoid if we are willing to do a little research, start reading labels, and change our eating habits somewhat, all small prices to pay to avoid poisoning ourselves and our families. We don't need the government to do that for us.

I hope I didn't bore you with my food industry spiel. I'm pretty passionate about food, so its kind of my thing. Have an enjoyable evening!

-Laurel
    Last edited by DynamicBalance; 12-29-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Posted as Someguy by accident

41. TopTop #26
    Valley Oak

All of this arguing is about to make me cry. Let us all come together and be one and share in the majiq of love. The following video best represents how I feel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4upn3M4jtQY

42. TopTop #27
    Valley Oak

Laurel, I have posted my reply to your message about states rights in a new thread in waccotalk called I fear States' Rights because.... I hope you have the tenacity to respond.

Edward

Hi Conrad,

Thanks for sharing your views...

-Laurel
    Last edited by Barry; 12-28-2010 at 08:21 PM.

43. TopTop #28

Laurel, I have posted my reply to your message about states rights in a new thread in waccotalk. I hope you have the tenacity to respond.

Edward
    Oh so you expect others to respond to what you write but not the other way around????? What a silly way of being.

44. TopTop #29
    Valley Oak

Maybe so, but I wrote that message because Barry started a new thread in WaccoTalk called, "States Rights" (a spinoff from this one) and I didn't want you to miss out on all the fun, especially considering that both Mr. and Mrs. Someguy have already contributed so much to the original thread. Participation, of course, is always an option.
    ;0)

Oh so you expect others to respond to what you write but not the other way around????? What a silly way of being.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.

45. TopTop #30
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Maybe so, but I wrote that message because Barry started a new thread in WaccoTalk called, "States Rights" (a spinoff from this one) and I didn't want you to miss out on all the fun, especially considering that both Mr. and Mrs. Someguy have already contributed so much to the original thread. Participation, of course, is always an option.
    ;0)
    I changed the name to "I fear States' Rights because..."