Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Idylwildian

Wild Dogs - Solution?

I'm hoping someone here has a better solution than I've come up with.

Some low life dropped three dogs pups off on my property, rather than deal with them. The dogs were dropped off with their mother, who has since disappeared. The puppies, or small dogs, I'm not sure which, were wild by the time we realized they were still here, and have been roaming around the property for the last few weeks. They will not come close enough to anyone to be handled or caught. We called animal control, but they won't come out because we're outside the city limits.

Now, the dogs are harrassing and biting at goats, and horses. I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I can't let them continue as they are, as someone or some animal here will get hurt, and I'll get sued.

Though I hate to say it, all I can think to do at this point is have someone shoot the dogs. I can't wait for any kind of slow solution, as they pose a risk. If anyone here has a better idea about how I can deal with them, I'd sure like to see it.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    RecycleSonomaCounty

Re: Wild Dogs - Solution?

Please do not shoot them. Contact local animal rescue groups for help.Hopefully they can trap them and turn them over to Animal Care and Control. If ACC deems them wild and not adoptable, they will humanly euthanize them. I have known even the Sonoma County Reptile Rescue to help out in non reptile related cases. They have a lot of knowledge and abilities for trapping etc. Here are a few places to call: https://www.wildlife-center.org 575-1000, https://www.sonomacountyreptilerescue.com/ 829-8512 tell Al that Ann recomended him and ask for referals if he cannot help, https://www.scwildliferescue.org/index.shtml _Sonoma County Wildlife Rescue--526-wild. https://www.sonomahumane.org/ 542-0882

Though I hate to say it, all I can think to do at this point is have someone shoot the dogs. I can't wait for any kind of slow solution, as they pose a risk. If anyone here has a better idea about how I can deal with them, I'd sure like to see it.[/QUOTE]

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    kidcrone

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Idylwildian: View Post
    I'm hoping someone here has a better solution than I've come up with.

Some low life dropped three dogs pups off on my property, rather than deal with them. The dogs were dropped off with their mother, who has since disappeared. The puppies, or small dogs, I'm not sure which, were wild by the time we realized they were still here, and have been roaming around the property for the last few weeks. They will not come close enough to anyone to be handled or caught. We called animal control, but they won't come out because we're outside the city limits.

Now, the dogs are harrassing and biting at goats, and horses. I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I can't let them continue as they are, as someone or some animal here will get hurt, and I'll get sued.

Though I hate to say it, all I can think to do at this point is have someone shoot the dogs. I can't wait for any kind of slow solution, as they pose a risk. If anyone here has a better idea about how I can deal with them, I'd sure like to see it.
    Hi, I'm kidcrone and would suggest your borrowing humane traps to pen the dogs, then take them to the humane society. Either Animal Rescue or the Humane Society should be able to set you up with the necessary traps.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Idylwildian

Thank you for your fine input. I am going to call numbers you gave me tomorrow (Monday) to see if they can help. I will post an update about that here.

7. TopTop #5
    Idylwildian

Sorry for the delay in posting an update about the wild dog problem here. I've been talking a lot with other people here on this property about solutions for the wild dog problem. Currently we have a humane trap set, and plan to add another. Aside from that, several people are trying to coax the dogs to closer contact, with hopes of getting them tamed. I am not planning at this time to shoot any dogs, and will go to whatever lengths I am able to avoid it.

It may be "solved" another way though. Yesterday p.m. I went out to see the dogs, and continue to get them used to me. They weren't there. In fact, only one person saw any of the dogs yesterday, and they only saw one. I've been hearing a pack of coyotes nearby during recent evenings. I'm hoping the little wild dogs weren't killed.

Thank you all for your interest and concern. I feel that I have a workable plan for dealing with them right now. If it somehow changes, and I need more input, I will certainly ask here.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    Veeja

If you need help let me know. I do work with a rescue and I work with foster family's.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Idylwildian: View Post
    Sorry for the delay in posting an update about the wild dog problem here. I've been talking a lot with other people here on this property about solutions for the wild dog problem. Currently we have a humane trap set, and plan to add another. Aside from that, several people are trying to coax the dogs to closer contact, with hopes of getting them tamed. I am not planning at this time to shoot any dogs, and will go to whatever lengths I am able to avoid it.

It may be "solved" another way though. Yesterday p.m. I went out to see the dogs, and continue to get them used to me. They weren't there. In fact, only one person saw any of the dogs yesterday, and they only saw one. I've been hearing a pack of coyotes nearby during recent evenings. I'm hoping the little wild dogs weren't killed.

Thank you all for your interest and concern. I feel that I have a workable plan for dealing with them right now. If it somehow changes, and I need more input, I will certainly ask here.

10. Gratitude expressed by: