Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

Are Vegetarians Happier Than Meat-Eaters, Because of Abstaining From Meat?

This seems to me one of this studies that sees evidence of causation in a correlation. - Zeno

Planet Green / By Matt McDermott
    Vegetarians Are Happier Than Meat-Eaters

A new study in Nutrition Journal finds vegetarians have lower incidence of depression, anxiety, and other mood problems than their meat-eating neighbors.
    June 22, 2010 *| *
    Yet another reason to adopt a vegetarian diet... Rodale reports that a new study in Nutrition Journal finds vegetarians have lower incidence of depression, anxiety, and other mood problems than their meat-eating neighbors.

I say neighbors specifically because the researchers came to this conclusion after studying Seventh Day Adventists, who were split about 4-5 between vegetarians and meat-eaters. Rodale notes that this group was chosen because the nature of the community is such that it is easier to account for external influences than diet coming into play.

The researchers found the vegetarians reported diets significantly lower in EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fatty acids that we get from eating fish, and which many studies have found are a key factor in improving both physical and mental health. So they expected to find the vegetarians would have higher incidences of issues like depression, anxiety, and mood problems. Instead, they found the opposite result.

Vegetarians scored lower on depression tests and had better mood profiles than their fish- and meat-eating peers. "While dietary intake of EPA and DHA has an important role in brain function, we found no evidence that the absence of direct intake of these fatty acids in vegetarians adversely affects mood state," the study reports. "These results challenge what is known about the link between dietary fats and brain function and suggest an unrecognized benefit of vegetarian diets."

The researchers note that one factor influencing the results is that not only were the Seventh Day Adventists following a vegetarian diet, but they also made conscious decisions to eat healthily, eating very little processed food, favoring fruits, vegetables, nuts, and oils high in omega-3 alpha-linolenic acids.

The study notes that we shouldn't generalize to say that getting fish-based omega-3 fatty acids aren't also beneficial for your mood. But I'd add that if you can get the same benefits from a plant source as an animal one, choose the plant one.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    hales

Re: Are Vegetarians Happier Than Meat-Eaters, Because of Abstaining From Meat?

Here is some anecdotal evidence that will clarify nothing, but perhaps it illustrates that these are complex issues, with no pat answers:

A younger, female friend of mine and former co-worker, who was herself a vegetarian, once lived over a vegan restaurant; she said they were among the most nasty and difficult people she had met, (or something to the effect that they were not nice people or good neighbors).. My friend ate very well, and prepared or cooked her own healthy vegetarian food. After her mother died, (of breast cancer, I believe), and a few years doing social work with dying aids patients in S.F., and then her having her father (who she loved, and was very close to) die of cancer.. my young friend ended her own life and the age of 40, with some kind of pills. Her life hadn't worked out the way she wanted it to, and she had some digestive and other health problems that were bothering her.. so she checked out early..

I think a lot of mental health issues are heavily influenced by genetics, and by family culture, and nurturance or lack of it. My friend was really afraid of breast cancer, for instance.. but ended up by doing a preemptive strike on herself.. Did a vegetarian diet help her in anyway? It's really hard to tell.. not enough to save her life, in any case. I actually had a lot of love for this young lady, and I'm sorry she didn't find a way through this maze/obstacle course, called "life"..

My own approach to nutrition is moderation in all things, eSPECially moderation.. : ) Eating less meat and more vegetables makes a lot of sense for so many reasons: Nutrition, carbon footprint of cattle raising, acid/alkaline balance, etc.. On the other hand, a day without animal protein often leaves me feeling light-headed and spacey. No doubt I could learn to do better with vegetarian eating.. mostly I just moderate my intake of meat, eggs, etc.. so I feel more or less grounded and energetic most o the time.

Thanks for bringing up the topic, Zeno.. : )
    Scott.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    This seems to me one of this studies that sees evidence of causation in a correlation. - Zeno

Planet Green / By Matt McDermott
    Vegetarians Are Happier Than Meat-Eaters

A new study in Nutrition Journal finds vegetarians have lower incidence of depression, anxiety, and other mood problems than their meat-eating neighbors.
    June 22, 2010 *| *
    Yet another reason to adopt a vegetarian diet... Rodale reports that a new study in Nutrition Journal finds vegetarians have lower incidence of depression, anxiety, and other mood problems than their meat-eating neighbors.

I say neighbors specifically because the researchers came to this conclusion after studying Seventh Day Adventists, who were split about 4-5 between vegetarians and meat-eaters. Rodale notes that this group was chosen because the nature of the community is such that it is easier to account for external influences than diet coming into play.

The researchers found the vegetarians reported diets significantly lower in EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fatty acids that we get from eating fish, and which many studies have found are a key factor in improving both physical and mental health. So they expected to find the vegetarians would have higher incidences of issues like depression, anxiety, and mood problems. Instead, they found the opposite result.

Vegetarians scored lower on depression tests and had better mood profiles than their fish- and meat-eating peers. "While dietary intake of EPA and DHA has an important role in brain function, we found no evidence that the absence of direct intake of these fatty acids in vegetarians adversely affects mood state," the study reports. "These results challenge what is known about the link between dietary fats and brain function and suggest an unrecognized benefit of vegetarian diets."

The researchers note that one factor influencing the results is that not only were the Seventh Day Adventists following a vegetarian diet, but they also made conscious decisions to eat healthily, eating very little processed food, favoring fruits, vegetables, nuts, and oils high in omega-3 alpha-linolenic acids.

The study notes that we shouldn't generalize to say that getting fish-based omega-3 fatty acids aren't also beneficial for your mood. But I'd add that if you can get the same benefits from a plant source as an animal one, choose the plant one.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email