Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    kpage9

Email inbox cleaned out

Dear wise waccoons, can anyone explain how an entire 200-odd bunch of messages in my att/yahoo/sbcglobal/conglomerate inbox can have disappeared?

After re-booting, I'm now receiving new emails, but the whole batch--much needed--of previous ones has just evaporated. The nice lady at ATT spent 45 minutes with me on the phone and consulting with her team, but no one has a clue.

Hackers? Virus? gremlins? karma?

aaaack.

kathy
    Last edited by kpage9; 06-25-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: liked the new word better (why do you want to know?)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    2Bwacco

Re: Email inbox cleaned out

...just this morning two great words (new to me!): "waccoon" and "Scrapture" !

Your absence of previously viewed emails may be due to a setting in the email program.

Not familiar with your specific program. This may need some concentration (no outside help needed here). Sit and look at the screen, look around the borders, look for "buttons" in the screen field to select. Somewhere there is a setting to change. It is probably something like ..."only display new messages"

or "Options"

hope this helps (instead of only sounding dumb..)

3. TopTop #3

Back up. Back up. Back up.

If you have ANYTHING you don't want to lose on your computer, back it up. Otherwise, you are guaranteed to lose it. Utterly, without question, 100% guaranteed to lose it sooner or later.

All email programs allow you to export your emails in various ways.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kpage9: View Post
    Dear wise waccoons, can anyone explain how an entire 200-odd bunch of messages in my att/yahoo/sbcglobal/conglomerate inbox can have disappeared?

After re-booting, I'm now receiving new emails, but the whole batch--much needed--of previous ones has just evaporated. The nice lady at ATT spent 45 minutes with me on the phone and consulting with her team, but no one has a clue.

Hackers? Virus? gremlins? karma?

aaaack.

kathy

4. TopTop #4
    kpage9

Thanks so much, you guys! Mystery sort of solved: it turns out that Windows Live Mail has suddenly and without my permission started to appropriate anything that comes to the ATT inbox. Just whisks it off.

A second-tier tech (really good, NOT SCRIPTED, interruptible) helped me leave a copy of everything on ATT so it's accessible there too.

kathy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    Back up. Back up. Back up.

If you have ANYTHING you don't want to lose on your computer, back it up. Otherwise, you are guaranteed to lose it. Utterly, without question, 100% guaranteed to lose it sooner or later.

All email programs allow you to export your emails in various ways.