Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Chamber Music
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Fern Burch

Chamber Music

Hi, everyone--

I am a pretty good amateur classical musician who is thinking of moving to the Sebastopol area. I started a woodwind quintet in the East Bay and have kept it going for thirty-one years.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to meet practicing amateur musicians in the North Bay who would want to join a group with the main goal of having a lot of fun, but also playing weddings, etc.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Peace,
    Fern
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Chamber Music

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Fern Burch: View Post
    Hi, everyone--

I am a pretty good amateur classical musician who is thinking of moving to the Sebastopol area. I started a woodwind quintet in the East Bay and have kept it going for thirty-one years.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to meet practicing amateur musicians in the North Bay who would want to join a group with the main goal of having a lot of fun, but also playing weddings, etc.

Peace,
    Fern
    My Dad, who passed last year, was an avid amateur musician, playing first violin in string quartets, etc. I got to grow up with live chamber music in my living room.

Welcome to Sebastopol, Fern!

Any other chamber music players (or chamber music player kids) out there? Are there chamber music websites that would be helpful? Should we start one here? I remember how my Dad relied on the printed directory. An excellent form of community, come to think of it!

Barry

3. TopTop #3
    erimbaugh

A good place to begin is redwoodarts.org (Redwood Arts Council,
    Occidental / email contact: [email protected]) and sebarts.org (Sebastopol Center for the Arts).
    ed rimbaugh

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Fern Burch: View Post
    Hi, everyone--

Peace,
    Fern

4. TopTop #4
    csell

I (a good cellist) posted a similar note to Fern's about 6 months ago and got zero response. In all fairness, I didn't have any time to seek out other sources and as a result, I am still not playing any chamber music up here (my groups are all in Berkeley).

There is an Amateur Chamber Music Society that I belonged to for years. They have (or had) a printed directory. It might all be online now, who knows...but it's a good start for finding other fellow musicians.

--Carolyn

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    My Dad, who passed last year, was an avid amateur musician, playing first violin in string quartets, etc. I got to grow up with live chamber music in my living room.

Any other chamber music players (or chamber music player kids) out there? Are there chamber music websites that would be helpful? Should we start one here? I remember how my Dad relied on the printed directory. An excellent form of community, come to think of it!

Barry

5. TopTop #5

Another suggestion would be to call or email Sonia Tubridy, 707 869-3273 or [email protected]. She is involved in much of the classical (and other) music in West County. She will I am sure be happy to talk to you.

Patrick Brinton

Quote Posted in reply to the post by csell: View Post
    I (a good cellist) posted a similar note to Fern's about 6 months ago and got zero response. In all fairness, I didn't have any time to seek out other sources and as a result, I am still not playing any chamber music up here (my groups are all in Berkeley).

There is an Amateur Chamber Music Society that I belonged to for years. They have (or had) a printed directory. It might all be online now, who knows...but it's a good start for finding other fellow musicians.

--Carolyn

6. TopTop #6
    Hannah Mira
    Supporting Member

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Barry

My Mom (82 y/o, also a violinist) has played chamber music ever since I can remember...yes, there was lots of live classical music in the living room!

I do enjoy playing flute music for weddings, but don't have the leisure to join a woodwind ensemble right now....Good luck, Fern!
    Hannah Caratti, www.counselingyogameditation.com Counseling, Meditation, Yoga, Music