Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Smart Meters
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Petaluma NetConnects

Smart Meters

I just received a letter from PGE today and called them to let them know I did not want a smart meter on my property. They of course told me that I could not opt out. My question to everyone is...Why can't I keep this meter and record my usage manually as many do who's meters are not accessible to PGE. They mail the form in every month? Has anyone asked them this question? Thanks for the help...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    2Bwacco

Re: Smart Meters

a few years ago I had been told that the regular, dial-type meter could be read by the account holder.

Perhaps you could get (or borrow) some dogs, fence your yard, then the meter reader wouldn't want to enter.

Somewhere it had been said that the Dummy-Meters were going to implemented in specific areas, and that all meters had to be installed before the Dummy-grid could be activated in a specific area.

for the life of me, i can't understand how they can get all these different electronic technologies to "talk" to each other!

3. TopTop #3
    Petaluma NetConnects

Thanks so much for the reply. I have also found a great website www.turn.org which has lots of great info as well as printable signs to post over my current meters. I also spoke to my neighbor today and will be going around the neighborhood tomorrow with handouts. Thanks again...

4. TopTop #4
    Magick

I requested being on the opt out deferral list. they installed it anyway they said because I was one of the random residences picked to check on the gas meters, something they apparently do every year, they failed to notice that I had been put on the deferral list. Internal communication between departments sucks, I have experienced it before and so have many I know.
    I spoke to Craig Kennedy and he apologized and they sent someone out to turn it off. It is now off and my meter will be read by a meter reader. He said they plan to eventually turn it back on. I don't plan to let them.
    I have talked to my meter reader and the man who came to install the gas the first time, I invited them both into to my home and had a human to human conversation. Corporations may have civil rights but they ain't got no dignity, but the people working there need to be kept in the loop.
    The meter reader was a single mother of two who was very worried about losing her job. I let her know we were speaking up for her and her fellow workers.
    The installation man said I will have to have a smarty meter installed. Its just like public domain, he said, there's nothing you can do about it. I asked him where he was taught he was powerless to do anything in a democratic country. (not that I think I actually live in a democracy since capitalism is completely incompatible with democracy, or just plain freedom for that matter. Waccovians please, Spare me any comments by any so-called conscious capitalists)
    Anyway we had a good conversation and he left with some new thoughts in his mind.
    For results Call Craig Kennedy to be put on the deferral list. His job is being transferred to someone else but said he will make sure the transition to the next person is smooth.
    Craig Kennedy 577-7097
    PS. I am so proud and appreciative of the voters who saw through the smarmy attempt by PGE to block communities from acquiring their own energy systems and breaking up the PGE monopoly.
    Talk about democracy, they called it the taxpayers right to vote act. Well guess what, we already have that right and we used it, thank you very much!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Petaluma NetConnects: View Post
    I just received a letter from PGE today and called them to let them know I did not want a smart meter on my property. They of course told me that I could not opt out. My question to everyone is...Why can't I keep this meter and record my usage manually as many do who's meters are not accessible to PGE. They mail the form in every month? Has anyone asked them this question? Thanks for the help...