Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Raw milk, raw food popularity surges: Is the FDA fighting against our health?

I would like to know how everyone in our community feels about this issue. Do you drink raw milk? Why or why not? And more importantly, what do you think about the FDA's role in "protecting" us from raw milk?

by Jefferson Adams

Are raw, living foods sourced from safe local producers better for your health and immune systems than processed, genetically modified, pasteurized, homogenized, or irradiated foods?

Do you have a right to decide for yourself, and to choose healthy, raw, nutritious, natural foods from local growers and purveyors?

Take raw milk as an example. Since California established the nation's most stringent raw milk standards, more and more people are consuming raw dairy products. Many of those people tout what they view as raw milk's beneficial properties. They claim that raw milk and cultured raw dairy products help to relieve symptoms of allergies, asthma, arthritis, and other digestive issues, including symptoms of celiac disease.

Speaking from my own experience, after switching to raw dairy about six months ago, my hay fever has disappeared, my nose is never stuffed up any more, my stomach loves me, and I have never felt better. Moreover, my nephew suffers from classic milk allergy. If he drinks milk, his mouth swells up and he has to take an antihistamine. Recently, after witnessing the disappearance of my own allergies, and after reading that raw milk is hypoallergenic, we took the plunge and had him drink a glass. mom anxiously waited to see if he would have an allergic reaction. He had none. Nothing. Felt fine. Since then, I've been treated like the wise uncle. But enough of my story.

Raw milk is also rich in natural probiotics such as bifidobacteria, which along with prebiotics, have been shown to reduce inflammation and lessen symptoms in people with celiac disease and associated inflammatory conditions.

For example, a team of European researchers recently demonstrated that dietary probiotics and prebiotics can improve quality of life for people with celiac and associated conditions, such as type 1 diabetes and some autoimmune disorders. Their results offer some of the strongest support for the idea that eating foods rich in probiotics and/or prebiotics, such as raw milk, yogurt, and kefir can help a number of patients with celiac disease reduce inflammation and lessen symptoms of celiac disease.

However, the rights of consumers to access foods on their own terms are under assault from powerful agribusiness and food manufacturers through their influence over the FDA. The Farm-to-consumer legal defense fund summarizes the FDA position on consumer food rights as follows:

*Consumers have no absolute right to any raw unprocessed food, unless the FDA says it’s okay

*There’s no right to good health, except as approved by the FDA

*There’s no right for citizens to contract privately for their food

That's right, according to the FDA, we have no right to contract with a farmer to grow or produce food outside of FDA approval and control. Approval and control that is heavily influenced by major industrial producers.

Read more at:
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2

Re: Raw milk, raw food popularity surges: Is the FDA fighting against our health?

For those wishing to include raw milk in their diets (especially if contracting directly,) there is some important info on which types of milk/cows are best for this purpose.

While I personally find Dr. Mercola to be somewhat overly alarmist and hyberbolic in most of his presentations, here is a recent article he posted regarding A1 and A2 cows, though you may need to enter an email address --even a bogus one--to read it:
    Identifying High-Quality Sources of Raw Milk
    [I'm not sure I have the right to post the article in this thread--don't want to make a forum faux-pas]

And here is a link to some resources for obtaining the proper kind of raw milk in California:

Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

4. TopTop #3

Re: Raw milk, raw food popularity surges: Is the FDA fighting against our health?

D'oh! I just realized someguy's post *is* an article that he posted from another source. Brainfart day for me I guess.
    Here is the Dr Mercola article for those who can't see it online, I hope it's not overwhelmingly long:

Demonized Since the 1950s – Yet Still One of Healthiest Foods Available
    Posted by Dr. Mercola

Did you know there are two types of ‘raw milk’ in America?
    As Mark McAfee explains, there’s the raw milk intended to be consumed raw, and then there’s the raw milk intended to be used for pasteurization, and contrary to popular belief, they are NOT the same.
    When buying raw milk, it’s very important to make sure you’re buying milk that has been produced with the intention of being consumed raw, and not just raw milk from conventionally-raised cows that hasn’t gone through the pasteurization process yet.
    There’s a vast difference between the quality and safety of milk from organically-raised, grass-fed cows, and conventionally-raised, grain-fed livestock.

How Can You Identify High-Quality Sources of Raw Milk?
    Right now, only six states permit the retail sale of raw milk:
    California
    Connecticut
    Maine
    Pennsylvania
    Washington
    Arizona
    However, it’s important to realize that each state sets their own standards. California, specifically, has its own special set of standards for raw milk for human consumption, in which farmers must meet or exceed pasteurized milk standards, without pasteurizing.
    You can find raw milk retailers in California by using the store locator available at ORGANIC PASTURES FRESH RAW DAIRY, and for other areas, check out the Campaign for Real Milk Web site.
    You can also look here to find out the legal status of raw milk in the U.S. state or country where you live.
    However, since many raw milk producers are very small farms, and the standards that do exist vary from state to state, how do you go about identifying solid, high-quality producers of raw milk if you can’t just buy it in a store nearby?
    This is a complex question since the environmental conditions will vary from location to location, and from season to season. However, there are a few general conditions you should look for, including:
    Low pathogenic bacteria count (ie does the farmer test his milk regularly for pathogens?)
    The milk is quickly chilled after milking
    The milk comes from cows raised naturally, in accordance with the seasons
    The cows are mainly grass-fed
    The cows are not given antibiotics and growth hormones to increase milk production
    Cows are well cared for

If you’re thinking about purchasing milk from a small farmer, it would be very wise to visit the farm in person. Look around and ask questions, such as:
    Does the farmer and his family drink the milk themselves?
    How long has he been producing raw milk?
    Are the cows clean?
    What conditions are the cows raised in?
    Are there any obvious sanitation questions?
    If a cow is covered in filth and manure, stinks, is wet and cold and doesn’t look particularly comfortable, that could be a warning sign that her milk is less than ideal for raw consumption.

Only Healthy Grass-Fed Cows Produce Healthy Raw Milk
    Naturally, fresh grasses for foraging are not available year round in many areas of the US, so it’s also important to take a look at what the cows are being fed during winter months. According to McAfee, acceptable winter feed includes dried alfalfa, timothy grass, and other cut pasture or forage that has been dried.
    A key point to remember is that cows that are fed a lot of grain and raised under substandard conditions will likely produce milk that is unhealthy to drink raw because grains, antibiotics, growth hormones, and filthy living conditions change the pH balance and the natural bacteria present in her gut, which in turn affects the natural bacteria and pathogens present in her milk.
    This is particularly problematic because so many Americans have depressed immune function, leaving any pathogen introduced into your gut free to wreak havoc.
    Says McAfee:
    “So, as an American citizen going out and finding raw milk, if you have a depressed immune system there is an exceptional challenge there, whereas somebody who is searching out raw milk in California, who has been on raw milk before and their immune system is in pretty good shape, it’s less of a problem.
    But if you got a really depressed immune system and… find some bad milk from somebody who is intending their milk to be pasteurized… that’s kind of a marriage made in hell. That’s not a good thing at all.
    And that’s where I think a lot of the outbreaks happen.
    You see people doing research on the internet saying, “Oh, I have a really depressed immune system. I have common cold. I get irritable bowel syndrome. I got asthma. I got allergies. I need to fix that and they say raw milk will fix it.”
    But they don’t have raw milk in their area that’s safe. [Milk] that is intended for people, so they go out and find a local dairy that takes pity on them, and they buy raw milk that is intended for pasteurization, and that’s where you start seeing real problems.”
    Like McAfee says, “when you work with cows to produce raw milk, you can’t cheat!”

Why the FDA Doesn't Want You to Have Raw Milk
    For a fascinating review of what the current position of the FDA is regarding raw milk I would strongly encourage you to read this recent enlightening article that will reveal some of their hidden agendas
    The Complete Patient - The Business of Your Health - Journal - The Food Rights Firestorm Spreads: Is Big Dairy Helping Regulators Use MA As Test to Bust Raw Milk BuyingClubs?

The Many Health Benefits of Raw Milk
    Organically-raised, grass-fed milk naturally contains hundreds of healthy, “good” bacteria, including lactobacillus and acidophilus. There are also several coliform families of bacteria. It’s important to realize that there are over 230 different kinds of E. coli., and only two or three of them are actually pathogenic and will cause you to get sick. The rest are actually beneficial for your gut.
    Raw milk also contains vitamins, which are virtually eliminated by the pasteurization process of commercial milk. But it’s the presence of beneficial bacteria are what make raw milk such an outstanding food source to promote the growth of healthy bacteria in your intestine, which in turn has a significant, beneficial impact on your overall immune function.

Other health promoting ingredients in raw milk include:
    Valuable enzymes that are destroyed during pasteurization. Without them, milk is very difficult to digest. So if you have lactose intolerance, it may very well disappear once you start consuming raw dairy products.
    It also contains phosphatase, an enzyme that aids and assists in the absorption of calcium in your bones, and lipase enzyme, which helps to hydrolyze and absorb fats.
    Enzymes are deactivated when you get above 120 degrees. By the time you get to 150, 160 degrees, almost all of them are completely inactivated, which is why you will not get ANY of these benefits from pasteurized milk.
    Natural butterfat, which is homogenized or removed in pasteurized milk. Without butterfat, it becomes very difficult for your body to absorb and utilize the vitamins and minerals in the water fraction of the milk. Butterfat is also your best source of preformed vitamin A, and contains re-arranged acids with strong anti-carcinogenic properties.
    Healthy unoxidized cholesterol
    Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which fights cancer and may help reduce your body fat.
    High omega-3 and low omega-6 ratios, which is the beneficial ratio between these two essential fats

Pasteurizing milk, on the other hand, destroys enzymes, diminishes vitamins, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamin B12 and vitamin B6, kills beneficial bacteria, and actually promotes pathogens.
    In my opinion, there’s no reason to drink pasteurized milk, ever.
    Unfortunately, the FDA and other health agencies do not acknowledge the inherent differences between pasteurized milk and raw milk.

They claim raw milk and pasteurized milk have precisely the same kind of nutritional values, completely disregarding the value of enzymes, the probiotic value of beneficial bacteria, and the importance of healthy fats.
    It truly is imperative to recognize that nutrition is a holistic thing.
    You cannot take bits and pieces of nutrients and think you’re going to end up with good health. It is in fact the food as a whole that makes it good for you in terms of nutrition.
    Says McAfee:
    “When you look at the complete assessment of food, raw milk is a rock star when it comes to dietary meaningfulness.”
    I agree with McAfee when he says that hopefully, someday, the FDA will come around and acknowledge the fact that we should look at the whole of the food instead of just pieces of the food. Right now, their assessments on most foods are partial and woefully incomplete, and unfortunately, this is having a major, detrimental impact on your health.

Should Humans Drink Cow’s Milk?
    Some people believe that cow’s milk is food for calves only, and should not be consumed by humans to begin with.
    However, this may be too simplified a view. As McAfee explains:
    “Cows have four stomachs, so they can eat grass… They are literally that animal between us and the sun. They are solar sun convertors. They take sunshine expressed as grass on the ground (because the grass obviously grows when the sun hits the ground and [with] water the grass grows).
    We can’t eat the grass but the cow can eat the grass, and then we can eat what the cow provides… [which] is very, very nutrient dense and very digestible by humans.”
    I believe that’s an important point, and it’s an area of nutrition that few pay any attention to -- the area of biophotons.
    But biophoton research explains the underlying principles of why it’s so vital to eat a diet of mostly RAW food, including raw milk.
    As you know, without the sun it is virtually impossible for most life forms to exist. For example, we now know that without appropriate sun exposure, you will become deficient in vitamin D, which will have very far ranging consequences for your health.
    Vitamin D influences at least 2,000-3,000 genes (that we know of), and without sufficient amounts of vitamin D, your body becomes susceptible to a staggering amount of diseases. But you can absorb sun energy via your food as well as through your skin (although this should not be confused with being able to alter your vitamin D status).
    Every living organism emits biophotons or low-level luminescence, and the higher the level of light a cell emits, the greater its vitality and the potential for the transfer of that energy to the individual who eats it.
    Hence, the more light a food is able to store, the more nutritious it is. Naturally grown fresh vegetables, for example, and sun-ripened fruits, are rich in light energy.
    The capacity to store biophotons is therefore a measure of the quality of your food, and a very strong reason for making sure milk producing cows are allowed to forage for the healthiest, freshest grasses.
    What about Raw Milk for Vegans?
    As for vegans and strict vegetarians, unfortunately many of them end up not getting sufficient amounts of healthy fats in their diet, which can have a very detrimental effect on their nervous system.
    Yes, the plant kingdom does offer some very important fats, but other fats are entirely animal-based, and they complement each other on a functional level. When all animal-based foods are excluded from your diet, you run the risk of developing a deficiency, which can have both physiological and psychological consequences.
    In terms of consuming an animal-based food that is humane, drinking grass-fed milk from an organic dairy farm is perhaps one of your healthiest alternatives for the best of both worlds.
    Pasteurized milk, on the other hand, does not offer any of the benefits available from raw milk, such as healthy fats, and a good case can be made that it does not fit the nutritional needs of humans.
    I strongly recommend you avoid pasteurized milk entirely.

Explanation and Position of Organic Pastures on A-2 Milk and A-2 Testing
    About five years ago, OPDC attempted to have the A-2 Corporation test all of our cows for A-2 genetic traits. At that time the “A-2 Corporation” was doing business in the Upper Midwest in the USA. The A-2 Corporation refused to test any cows unless all the milk was branded under the A-2 Corporation brand. They also required that all A-2 Corporation milk be pasteurized.
    Because OPDC is 100% organic and never pasteurize our raw milk….that was the end of any A-2 testing idea for OPDC. The A-2 testing mandates and ideas broke all of our rules.
    About a year ago, OPDC again attempted to contact the A-2 Corporation in an attempt to have its cows tested for A-2 Genetic traits. It was discovered that the A-2 Corporation had gone bankrupt in North America and had just skeletal operations in New Zealand. It took months to get an email through or contact via phone. The answer from A-2 was that they were not providing the patented test to anyone at that time and that perhaps in the future that the test may become available.
    As of March 2010, the A-2 Corporation is not providing tests to American Dairymen.
    There are some people in the raw milk movement that say that they have a way to get cows tested for A-2 traits, but it is questionable whether these tests are actually the original A-2 test and these people want lots of money to do the test.

It is also still very questionable whether the claims made by A-2 are accurate. The authors of “The Devil in the Milk” book claim that cows made a genetic split about 5,000 years ago and that Holsteins and some other breeds were more domesticated because of calmness and other traits ( they were to become more A-1 dominant ). We have no way of knowing that this is true or not. No other research confirms these historical concepts. Also…it is claimed that A-2 cows ( Jerseys )produce milk which is far better than cows that are tested and found to be A-1 genetics.
    We disagree with this analysis and remain unconvinced of its value. If the split occurred 5000 years ago and A-1 is the source of modern heart disease and makes autism worse….then this does not match up with other researchers at all. Modern diseases began with grain feeding and confinement just 75 to 100 years ago. Modern diseases are much more likely to be associated with modern processing of milk and lack of grass feeding etc.
    When evaluating the “67th amino acid” differences in A-2 milk, we ask a much bigger question, when pasteurized milk is observed microscopically it is a massive destruction zone. It looks as if it has been hit with a bomb and everything is dead, broken and twisted. Everything is in little pieces and nothing is alive.
    How can a slight 67th position nuance of a single amino acid matter at all in the bigger scheme of massive amino acid changes during pasteurized milk destruction. This makes zero sense.
    At OPDC about 50% of our cows are Jersey and 30% are Jersey-Holstein crosses. The rest are Holstein.
    At OPDC we believe that the cow is a part of the environment and her milk reflects her conditions and her feed. We feed 100% pastures all of the time. These conditions will reflect in the raw milk that she produces.
    Presently, we are being approached to test our cows for A-2 traits by people that do not work for A-2 Corporation. These tests are very expensive and we have no idea what the results would mean or what value they would bring or if they are actually A-2 tests at all? Who knows what they are.
    For now, at OPDC, the jury is out on A-2 v. A-1 cows. We are approached every week by people that try to sell us something new to make our products better. We are always open to new ideas….but most of the time we stick with the very oldest of ideas. We stick with mother nature and grass and sunshine. We are not going to slaughter or sell off our perfectly good cows based on one book and a concept which has not been verified by anyone except for the authors.
    Both of the founders of A-2 are now dead and no one is verifying their work.
    In our calculation the very best milk is raw milk from cows grazed on green pastures and tested to assure that no bad bugs are present. This is the raw milk that makes people healthy, rebuilds human immune systems regardless of animal genetics.
    The FDA will not allow OPDC to explain what things raw milk improves medically.
    Trust us….Grass fed, tested, Raw Milk is a highly effective medical food.
    See CReMA | California Raw Milk Association for details that cannot be explained here.

More Information
    For more information, I urge you to listen to the interview in its entirety above. The full transcript is also available.
    Mark McAfee’s experience and knowledge base on this topic is phenomenal, and the interview covers many of the facets involved in raising healthy cows and producing healthy raw milk, as well as the numerous health benefits, and potential pitfalls, of raw milk.
    You can also find lots of valuable information on McAfee’s site ORGANIC PASTURES FRESH RAW DAIRY, and RAW-USA.

5. TopTop #4

To answer your question (and for everyone's education) Is the FDA fighting against our health?

Many of us have been aware of the disturbing FDA raids on raw milk producers in CA and many other states.

This week I learned of the tactics they've been using behind the scenes and was shocked. I mean really shocked.

FDA wages secret war on raw milk farmers using KGB-style spying and infiltration techniques

I really hope you take the time to read it. Unfortunately, we're in a dangerous new era, and it's time we be fully informed so as to know how to act.

Liz

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5

I thought I'd pick up the thread from my last post re: how to act.

If you care about the right to eat what you want and you can't live with a world where Frankenfood and GMO's are your only options to nourish yourself, as Monsanto is pushing for, then I invite you to join the Farm to Consumer Legal Defense fund.
    www.farmtoconsumer.org

With our funds they have just filed a suite against the California Department of Food and Agriculture on behalf of the CA Herdshare Dairy and Goat Owners

An Introduction - Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund

Joel Salatin, Polyface Farms - Folks This Ain't Normal

Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund
    www.farmtoconsumer.org

Liz