Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    comodin

Full Body Scans at Airports

I am told that all major airports in the USA now have "full body" scanning devices that everyone must pass through. They penetrate a few inches into the skin, and there is some evidence that they disrupt DNA. Even though actual health effects are unknown, they are being imposed on everyone, which is not only risky for health reasons, but strikes me as a further humiliating test of the public's docility. Here is an article on health risks:

https://www.technology review.com/blog/arvix/24331

[This link doesn't work and I couldn't find the article on that website -Barry]

My friend wants to visit her family on the East Coast, but will not risk these machines. Trains are expensive, and my friend doesn't drive because of health and eyesight considerations. Can anyone please think of some way to avoid these scans? Minor airports that don't have the scanners? Wild possibilities we haven't thought of?
    Last edited by Barry; 03-26-2010 at 10:38 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: Full Body Scans at Airports

Quote Posted in reply to the post by comodin: View Post

My friend wants to visit her family on the East Coast, but will not risk these machines. Trains are expensive, and my friend doesn't drive because of health and eyesight considerations. Can anyone please think of some way to avoid these scans? Minor airports that don't have the scanners? Wild possibilities we haven't thought of?
    The bus? A personal driver? Chartered plane? Hitchhiking on other's private planes? Riding the rails?

(It's still done. At least it was in 1996 when a bunch of crusty anars came to Chicago from Western Oregon and Washington, riding freights, with their dogs, and bikes! I was very impressed.)

That's all I got.

3. TopTop #3
    podfish

it's a tad humiliating, true enough. But there's lots of nasty radiation when you get up that high anyway, and you'll be sitting up there for hours, not seconds - so if that doesn't scare you the scanners shouldn't either.

I am told that all major airports in the USA now have "full body" scanning devices that everyone must pass through. They penetrate a few inches into the skin, and there is some evidence that they disrupt DNA. Even though actual health effects are unknown, they are being imposed on everyone, which is not only risky for health reasons, but strikes me as a further humiliating test of the public's docility. Here is an article on health risks:

4. TopTop #4
    Dynamique

Rumor has it that one can go with an old-fashioned metal detecting wand and body pat-down as an alternative to the scan thing. It would be worth a call (from a pay phone?) to TSA or the airport you plan to use to find out for sure. Please let us know if you get a straight answer!

5. TopTop #5
    ywv
    Supporting Member

https://www.technology review.com/blog/arvix/24331

[This link doesn't work and I couldn't find the article on that website -Barry]

Traveled through Seattle, Portland and Las Vegas airports in the last 2 weeks and they were not doing full body scans.