Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    galephil

Homeless in West County

Hi to all
    I am seeing some common stereotypes in recent posts so I thought I might be able to help with some information.

You are correct about some of the info you have for Phil, the man with the hand cart full of belongings (mostly books). He does drink; he does choose not to use his money in the way I think would be best...and he is mentally disabled.

In fact of the 3.047 people identified as homeless in the January 2009 homeless count, 76% of them are disabled.

Forty-two per cent have problems with alcohol and other drugs.

Two thirds are single males; on the other hand, 354 of the homeless were kids

There are shelter beds available for only 1/3 of those homeless; only a small number of those are in West County and only during the winter months. Fortunately there are some food banks, referral and counseling services and places to shower. Most unsheltered people (31% of the total homeless) live outdoors; 16% of the total live in buildings not mean for living, and 8% live in their vehicles. Fortunately all but one of the families was sheltered when we did the homeless count. Those kids deserve a better start than they are getting.

The local SoCo shelter providers estimate that more than 90% of the homeless folks have PTSD, the result of physical, sexual, emotional or financial abuse by "family or friends" in the past. Many turn to alcohol or drugs to deal with the pain; almost all make poor decisions (IMHO).

A few other facts: 53% of those counted said this was there 1st homeless event. Most of them are rehoused within 6 months and stay rehoused. 47% are the chronically homeless who we have trouble helping.

If you want more info go to ttp://www.sonoma-county.org/cdc/cdhomeless_count.htm.
    With hope for changes and Human Race donations,
    Gale
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: Homeless in West County

Thanks for that Gale,

The numbers for my former students in the Reception Center of San Quentin State Prison, (5th Tier Bayside of West Block, The Penthouse Suite, only rooms with a view!) were/are even worse.

77% with an untreated learning disability (ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, etc.)

88%-95% with an addiction, average 6th grade reading level, most in on parole violations (not reporting, dirty test, etc.) which means they're there a few months and then back on the street.

When I first started working there I met a guy from the Santa Cruz mountains whose best choice in the fall is to violate, so he'll have a place out of the rain and cold, and some food to eat, during the winter.

In other words they're part of the revolving door of prison to homeless in the street.

What are most of their crimes? Non-violent drug offenses (holding, dealing, under the influence), petty theft (shoplifting for sustenance, not excusing this but it's real), parole violations (see above), multiple DUI's (again untreated addiction),

High incidence of mental illness, numbers vary between 57% to 80-90%, depending on whose studies you look at.

Now with correctional "reform" more will be put on the street sooner, to save the state money and meet the three federal court judges orders to reduce over-crowding, but cost counties and municipalities more.

Education and Drug Rehabilitation in prison has been cut by 50% (actually more, at SQSP 75% of the teachers were laid off, or allowed to transfer to lower paying, 40% pay cuts on average, clerical jobs with the state, jobs that have nothing to do with helping inmates figure out how to stay out of prison and become law-abiding, productive members of society).

There wasn't nearly enough education and rehabilitation to begin with and now 1% of the cost of corrections has been "saved" by these recent cuts.

We know what the problems are. What is lacking is the political will and social commitment, to do what every expert, across the political spectrum, has agreed is necessary.

The general attitude seems to be, "Fuck them, they had their chance, they blew it, don't waste any more money on them!"

The problem being that they're going to get out, many sooner rather than later, and are going to be living in our communities.

By the way, I find that the cuts to other social services, battered women and children shelters, health care for the poor, home service aid for the elderly and disabled, public education, post-secondary education, and other necessary government services, are even more unjust, egregious and just plain wrong.

It's just that the homeless and the criminalized are part of that fabric as well, and I have three years of recent direct experience working to help that group.

When the LA Public Libraries are open only one day a week for four hours, there's something seriously wrong with our society. We seem to be willingly and freely returning to the social and economic conditions of the 1870's. There was a major world "recession" going on then as well.

Aside from all the technology, infrastructure, economic shifts from rural to urban, agriculture to manufacturing, and all of the complex history in between, back then you could get paid for manual labor and didn't necessarily have to be highly literate. Now we've shipped most of our manual labor, manufacturing and even service jobs requiring literacy, to cheaper labor markets (i.e. other countries) and many of those jobs left here are given to workers who are able and willing to work for less than the prevailing wage that legal residents require. It's all about maximizing profit, who cares about secondary social and environmental costs! Let the Free Market reign!!!

So even if I could get a guy to learn to read at a tenth grade level, and help him earn his GED, without other more specific work skills, vocational training being a key area, when they get out, and are looking for work in this labor market, with a felony jacket as their record, they're pretty much fucked anyway. It's back to banging and slinging because there is no other alternative in their lives. It's, of course, more complicated than I've indicated here, but those are the broad strokes of our and their social dilemma.

So much for progress,

"Mad" Miles

Trying it in Garamond 4 this time!

3. TopTop #3
    Adrenalyn

Tongue in cheek, from a peace loving person, nevertheless addressing an interesting senior health care solution

So you're a senior citizen and the government says no health care for you, what do you do?

Our plan gives anyone 65 years or older a gun and 4 bullets. You are allowed to shoot 2 senators and 2 representatives. Of course, this means you will be sent to prison where you will get 3 meals a day, a roof over your head, and all the health care you need! New teeth, no problem. Need glasses, great. New hip, knees, kidney, lungs, heart? All covered.
    (And your kids can come and visit you as often as they do now).
    And who will be paying for all of this? The same government that just told you that you are too old for health care. Plus, because you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay any income taxes anymore.

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT?!

My words:
    The future is (currently) inherent on the education and therefore, the power of the people, to preserve this planet; teach the small child, the prisoner; Rise up and rebel against the dumbing of the world! and everything else will follow!

4. TopTop #4
    Toxic Reverend

National Coalition for the Homeless
    https://www.nationalhomeless.org/

Released a new report, March 4, 2010
    Tent Cities in America Pacific Coast Report.

Mobile communities could serve in a local disaster,
    as they did after Katrina.
    Example:
    "Made With Love Cafe"
    https://tribes.tribe.net/madewithlove

This might "jump around" a little bit, but I am posting
    what I can. With my macular degeration and a
    headache from working on this post, I am emotionally
    "done out" and need to take a break.

Here is what I have been able to get done and I am not
    sure if I will be able to edit this, any time soon.

Actually, less than 6% of the known cancer causing
    chemicals are tracked in cancer cases, according
    to a Congressional Report that I have linked into
    a blog with another on pending legislation to start
    a "biomonitoring program" at
    https://toxicreverend.blogspot.com/
    and
    MySpace - Toxic Reverend an Environmental Technologist - 51 - Male - Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, California - myspace.com/toxicreverend

I still have a lot of work and editing to do on this topic:

Here are a few simple statement with reference stories
    linked in.

The 'Toxic Truth' tells of lead pioneers (March 2009)
    struggle to expose the effects of lead with mental health.

TOXIC CRIMINALS are another situation and has an
    eye opening perspective.

Before I get into the mental health perspective about
    this, I should tell you that Don Kelso, (now deceased)
    was the retired pharmacist from Norton Center
    Emergency Mental Health Hospital. He was my
    mentor since 1999 when he found out about how I
    was denied care at that hospital while I was suicidal,
    homicidal, delusional and very ill. I was urinating blood
    with hepatitis C and hearing and seeing things that
    were not there. I was told that I had to leave or
    that they would call the police and have me arrested.
    Archived records about March 23, 1999.

Don Kelso had also taught toxicology in the California
    University system. He was way ahead of the curve and
    was the owner of Skippy's Restaurant, in Forestville CA.

So far as mental illness and violence go, I have a
    peer reviewed medical journal linked into a blog
    about toxic chemicals being the cause of most
    mental illnesses.

Environmental Connections:
    Toxic Victims or Mentally Ill ? (view the blog)

That blog is at my Myspace Toxic Reverend
    profile that also has other information.
    My macular degeneration is being caused by
    toxic chemical exposures and info is at my
    Toxic Reverend Tribe Profile that links to a
    database that lists chronic illnesses with the
    toxic chemicals that are known to cause them.

Depression is anger turned inwards.

Here is are some excerpts from:
    Suicide - Homicide and the Biochemistry of Crime

The "Threshold Point" or the "Fight or Flight Response"
    can be altered by diet and nutritional supplements *as
    well as toxic chemical exposures.

The FFR corresponds with "Homicide - Suicide". And if
    only the behavioral conditioning responses are dealt
    with (from violence in movies, PTSD symptoms, and or
    other factors) that predispose the responses, a
    reduction in homicide may very well result in an increase
    in suicides.

This should also hold true with symptoms of PTSD and
    other psychological "symptoms" of various mental health
    conditions. Including "Domestic Abuse" and other violent
    crimes. Even so far as "Police Brutality" and "bad
    judgment calls" with the use of "Deadly Force".

Even when there is "police brutality",why should law
    enforcement be immune to a "Warlock's Brew" of
    "Cumulative Toxic Chemical Insults ?

Could the threshold point at which a police officer
    decides to use deadly force be altered by toxic chemical
    exposures, regardless of their training ?

How about;
    Taser Deaths and Roid a Cops -
    Epidemic of Police Brutality & Steroid Abuse (view blog)

Back to the toxic aspects:

Copy / paste excerpts from a work in progress:

Book title:
    Food and Behavior,
    By Barbara Stitt
    Chapter: The Biochemistry of Crime, pp.66-73

Subject matter of violent criminals that were
    tested for toxic chemicals having all been found to be
    toxic. After being treated for their toxic exposures, every
    one of them "stayed out of trouble" and returned to
    having a loving relationship with out any returns to
    the judicial system for Domestic Abuse.

Introduction about this book.

The study was done by Barbra Stitt while she was the
    head of the probation department for the city of
    Cuyahoga Falls, in Ohio.

In the movie "Super Size Me" a school of children
    with learning disabilities and behavioral problems
    did a 180 after the kids were put on an organic diet.
    This was done with "Natural Ovens" and Pail Stitt,
    Barbra Stitt's husband. Her book " Food and Behavior"
    was the basis for the approach that they took with the
    kids. And it was done at no additional cost to the
    school system. This is also applicable in mental
    health wards, as well as jails and other institutions.

Jeffery Barr PhD and Barbra Stitt were a consultant with
    the school in the movie "Super Size Me" that used diet to
    straighten the kids with behavioral problems.

At least that is my understanding of it and you might
    want to verify the fact for yourself.

The movie did not detail the nutritional supplements that
    were put into the kids "Smoothies". (A type of fresh fruit
    blended drinks that the kids loved, and so "took their
    medicine).

Note:
    Along with avoiding toxic chemical exposure education,
    certain nutritional supplements can greatly aid
    detoxification. Other factors that can obscure results
    can be revealed with a simple Google search on
    "Organic Scam". Here is a hint. The highest level of
    perchlorate that the Environmental Working Group
    found in fresh produce was in "baby green organic
    lettuce".

I have more information posted (including sections at:
    of the book pasted in) at
    Suicide - Homicide and the Biochemistry of Crime
    And
    Organic Scams and The Politics of Food (free movie)
    plus Action Networks & Resources (view blog)

Justice Is Homeless: Listing Solutions while

Tracking the Money Trail of Homeless Criminalization
    https://homelessjustice.blogspot.com

Additional:

Febrary 19: The National Coalition for the Homeless
    urges people experiencing homelessness, advocates
    and service providers to contribute to the development of
    the federal strategic plan to prevent and end
    homelessness, by submitting public comments to the
    U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness and by
    submitting a feedback form to NCH with your thoughts
    and comments.

FYI:

Healthcare: The Lobbyiests Hostage

Consider the alternatives:

Quote Posted in reply to the post by galephil: View Post
    Hi to all
    I am seeing some common stereotypes in recent posts so I thought I might be able to help with some information.

You are correct about some of the info you have for Phil, the man with the hand cart full of belongings (mostly books). He does drink; he does choose not to use his money in the way I think would be best...and he is mentally disabled.

In fact of the 3.047 people identified as homeless in the January 2009 homeless count, 76% of them are disabled.

Forty-two per cent have problems with alcohol and other drugs.

Two thirds are single males; on the other hand, 354 of the homeless were kids

There are shelter beds available for only 1/3 of those homeless; only a small number of those are in West County and only during the winter months. Fortunately there are some food banks, referral and counseling services and places to shower. Most unsheltered people (31% of the total homeless) live outdoors; 16% of the total live in buildings not mean for living, and 8% live in their vehicles. Fortunately all but one of the families was sheltered when we did the homeless count. Those kids deserve a better start than they are getting.

The local SoCo shelter providers estimate that more than 90% of the homeless folks have PTSD, the result of physical, sexual, emotional or financial abuse by "family or friends" in the past. Many turn to alcohol or drugs to deal with the pain; almost all make poor decisions (IMHO).

A few other facts: 53% of those counted said this was there 1st homeless event. Most of them are rehoused within 6 months and stay rehoused. 47% are the chronically homeless who we have trouble helping.

If you want more info go to ttp://www.sonoma-county.org/cdc/cdhomeless_count.htm.
    With hope for changes and Human Race donations,
    Gale

5. TopTop #5
    LenInSebastopol

Thank you for posting this as you have brought forth very specific, grave problems.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    77% with an untreated learning disability (ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, etc.)
    88%-95% with an addiction, average 6th grade reading level, most in on parole violations (not reporting, dirty test, etc.) which means they're there a few months and then back on the street.
    When I first started working there I met a guy from the Santa Cruz mountains whose best choice in the fall is to violate, so he'll have a place out of the rain and cold, and some food to eat, during the winter.
    Your friend from Santa Cruz sounds like an O.Henry story, except that hobo COULDN'T get into jail for the winter!
    I believe you, about most all of it, however I thought it was a 3rd grade reading level, which surprised me since most newspapers are written for 7th graders to read, as that is about the level of the general public, or so editors believe.
    Outside of medication are there any modalities that work for ADD, ADHD, etc?

In other words they're part of the revolving door of prison to homeless in the street. What are most of their crimes? Non-violent drug offenses (holding, dealing, under the influence), petty theft (shoplifting for sustenance, not excusing this but it's real), parole violations (see above), multiple DUI's (again untreated addiction).

Wait a minute. You make prison sound like a 'bad place'. And it could be, but for those fellows above, and the freezing, difficult to live-in-alternative, it sounds like a 'good place' as they do get 3 hots/cot. It also clears the streets of folks that drive drunk, abuse substances, fight, beat their loved ones, and cause problems within a normal community, that does not take the time to talk to them! (See other post on Panhandling)

High incidence of mental illness, numbers vary between 57% to 80-90%, depending on whose studies you look at.
    Now that is a problem that truly does bother me. How can we make them keep taking the medications given to them? And how can we stop "self medicating"? Which means taking dope? It really is a problem with no solution I can see.

Now with correctional "reform" more will be put on the street sooner, to save the state money and meet the three federal court judges orders to reduce over-crowding, but cost counties and municipalities more.
    Education and Drug Rehabilitation in prison has been cut by 50% (actually more, at SQSP 75% of the teachers were laid off, or allowed to transfer to lower paying, 40% pay cuts on average, clerical jobs with the state, jobs that have nothing to do with helping inmates figure out how to stay out of prison and become law-abiding, productive members of society).
    This is the part that really fries me. It was only recently (last couple of years) when that state agency changed its "mission" and added "Rehabilitation". The money was running out so a few words of legislative double duck speak and the word "rehabilitation" was added and that guarantees the money spigot will not be turned off! I got family that has been strung out on heroin, one for over 40 years, and they guarantee me that none can make another quit. So does anyone honestly think that a bureaucracy can do so?

We know what the problems are. What is lacking is the political will and social commitment, to do what every expert, across the political spectrum, has agreed is necessary.
    So, what are the problems? Can a state agency fix them? I think not. I think such problems begin way before jail....way before.
    I would think every "expert" has a pure self-interest that motivates her or him. As they are experts in that field they can make a living; kind of like "exploitation".

The general attitude seems to be, "Fuck them, they had their chance, they blew it, don't waste any more money on them!"
    Well, I can understand that feeling. Can't you? Live with someone that beats you time and again, that takes all your money, that fights with your family both physically and emotionally, that trashes everything you do; that's like that old joke, where the guy slaps his lover and says, "Bitch, tell me you love me" over and over again. Oh, except it's not funny. Imagine the folks that enable that guy to do such and tell me THEY don't need intervention by some one that can effect change!
    Politically and socially, we are tired of "wasting" money (not really as the money spent proves ineffective and limp) so we perceive failure and after all the money spent, are allowed to be tired, no?

The problem being that they're going to get out, many sooner rather than later, and are going to be living in our communities.
    That problem can be cured.

By the way, I find that the cuts to other social services, battered women and children shelters, health care for the poor, home service aid for the elderly and disabled, public education, post-secondary education, and other necessary government services, are even more unjust, egregious and just plain wrong.
    True that!
    But then there's no more money in the kitty.
    HELP!

So even if I could get a guy to learn to read at a tenth grade level, and help him earn his GED, without other more specific work skills, vocational training being a key area, when they get out, and are looking for work in this labor market, with a felony jacket as their record, they're pretty much fucked anyway. It's back to banging and slinging because there is no other alternative in their lives. It's, of course, more complicated than I've indicated here, but those are the broad strokes of our and their social dilemma.
    I don't want them to suffer either, nor anyone else for that fact, however there are friends of mine that don't speak the majority language that can find work. I won't buy that fish being peddled without looking and sniffing first. Back to the drawing board.

6. TopTop #6
    babaruss

And in a similar vein:
    Learn the facts. Join our cause. Make a huge contribution.
    "Smell of baked bread may be health hazard." --from an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer. The main danger, apparently, is that the organic components of this aroma may break down ozone. When are we going to do something about bread-induced global warming? Sure, we attack tobacco companies, but when is the government going to go after Big Bread?

More facts. Join our cause. Make a huge contribution.
    -- More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
    -- Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
    -- More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
    -- Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!
    -- Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.
    -- Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.
    -- Newborn babies can choke on bread.
    -- Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.
    -- Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling and many have even been known to vote Democratic.
    -- Bread has been the catalyst for political upheaval and dietary disaster worldwide, the militant "Whole Grain Cult", for instance.
    -- After Jesus broke bread with his disciples the resulting betrayal changed world history forever. (Incorrect fundamentalist thinking blames it on the wine.)
    -- Money is sometimes called "bread". Money is the root of all evil. Coincidence?

Frightening statistics! We propose the following:
    -- No sale of bread to minors.
    -- A nationwide "Just Say No To Toast" campaign, complete with celebrity TV spots and bumper stickers.
    -- A 300 percent federal tax on all bread to pay for all the societal ills we might associate with bread.
    -- No animal or human images, nor any primary colors (which may appeal to children) may be used to promote bread usage.
    -- The establishment of "Bread-free" zones around schools.
    -- Eliminate subsidies for farmers engaged in the growing of wheat.
    -- Health hazard warning labels to be placed on all packages of bread.

How can you help?
    -- Make a huge contribution.
    -- Put us in your will.
    -- Link to this site to spread the word.
    -- Tell your friends, strangers and coworkers.
    -- Contact your Congressman and demand action now.
    -- Organize "bread lines" in your neighborhood.
    -- Use the email link to send your credit card and pin numbers.
    -- Join this organization for a mere one-time fee of $1000. **
    -- Don't forget that huge contribution. PayPal button for your convenience.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Adrenalyn: View Post
    Tongue in cheek, from a peace loving person, nevertheless addressing an interesting senior health care solution
    So you're a senior citizen and the government says no health care for you, what do you do?

Our plan gives anyone 65 years or older a gun and 4 bullets. You are allowed to shoot 2 senators and 2 representatives. Of course, this means you will be sent to prison where you will get 3 meals a day, a roof over your head, and all the health care you need! New teeth, no problem. Need glasses, great. New hip, knees, kidney, lungs, heart? All covered.
    (And your kids can come and visit you as often as they do now).
    And who will be paying for all of this? The same government that just told you that you are too old for health care. Plus, because you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay any income taxes anymore.

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT?!
    My words:
    The future is (currently) inherent on the education and therefore, the power of the people, to preserve this planet; teach the small child, the prisoner; Rise up and rebel against the dumbing of the world! and everything else will follow!

7. TopTop #7
    hearthstone

A perspective:

Homelessness is a symptom of an insane society ("insane" by its own standards):

It is considered good when the price of housing goes up, and thus housing becomes less available to those who need to be housed.

Not only that, but between homelessness and the cheapest available housing is a very huge distance that is to some people impossible to cross. There is no gradation that would make the crossing possible.

E.g.: Many homeless would be grateful for the simplest adequate campsite where they could rest and take care of their barest needs. Yet this is not available. The available camping there is, is usually too far from stores and possible jobs, and also quite expensive.

At first glance the unavailability of camping doesn't make sense till one notices that because it is considered a good thing when prices of housing go up, the availability of cheaper living would drive those prices down! Profit over loving our neighbor!

How much this nonsense is responsible for the general level of societal stress is obvious, as most stress in this society comes from fear of becoming homeless.

Just my two cents.

Thanks, Hearthstone - www.ModelEarth.Org .