Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: New CPR Method
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    dana

New CPR Method

There's a new way of doing CPR, which you can see and learn at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5huVSebZpM. The only thing i'd add is to make sure the heel of your lower hand is close enough to the chin to be on bone and not cartilage, because the cartilage can be broken off of the end of the bone. (Still, better a broken sternum than an untimely death.) Feel up and down the center of your own chest to familiarize yourself with the point at which the bone stops and the cartilage is attached.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Ben Zolno

Re: New CPR Method

I first heard about this 3 or 4 years ago on NPR, explaining it was developed as CPR method for people afraid of getting cooties -- who didn't want to go mouth-to-mouth. It turned out it was actually more effective than traditional CPR! That's just what I recall.

Better get a partner to do that, though, as you'll get tired pretty quick. Also you're more likely to break the ribs, but I hear that's common in CPR anyway.

3. TopTop #3
    Ben Zolno

Re: New CPR Method

Also, "don't waste time checking for a pulse"? That's gotta be a mistake in the reporting.

As someone who has epilepsy, I can tell you that if I'm unconscious, please check my pulse, because I don't want you screwing with my heart beat and cracking my ribs, thanks. Don't even call and ambulance. Just get me home for some rest.

But if I have no pulse, rest assured, I'm dead. Then, by all means, pump away!