Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    tommy

Too Many Police in Sebastopol

Pretty soon they will be arresting you for farting in the town square without a permit.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    theindependenteye

Re: Too Many Police in Sebastopol

>>>Pretty soon they will be arresting you for farting in the town square without a permit.

Well, I guess I'd better apply for a permit.

Have I been missing something? I'm downtown at some time just about every day and rarely see a cop. Not that I have any great desire to see one — see one, you've seen'em all — but I just haven't seen them swarming down on the Cookie Company or beating people senseless. Is there something I could do to encourage my being more persecuted?

Peace & joy--
    Conrad

3. TopTop #3
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    Pretty soon they will be arresting you for farting in the town square without a permit.
    Do you have a single fact to back up this statement?

Sebastopol Police Department has 16 sworn officers
    Sebastopol (2000 Census #'s) has 7,774 people living within the city limits.

Basic 3rd grade math here: 7,774 / 16 = 485.875

Therefore, by the simple math, using the 2000 Census numbers, the police department comprises approximately .2% of the population. I'm sure that if we were to get a truly accurate count of how many residents we have in the City (2010 Census) - which we won't because certain sections of the population fear deportation from answering - you would probably find that number cut down significantly.

4. TopTop #4
    theindependenteye

>>>]Do you have a single fact to back up this statement?

>>>Sebastopol Police Department has 16 sworn officers
    Sebastopol (2000 Census #'s) has 7,774 people living within the city limits.
    >>>Basic 3rd grade math here: 7,774 / 16 = 485.875

This suggests that the anti-farting ordinance will be extremely difficult to enforce without the use of electronic sensors, even assuming a 100% non-farting police force.

One less thing to worry about, it seems to me.

Cheers--
    Conrad

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #5
    LenInSebastopol

Not necessarily. In your own home you could have up to 16 farts/day without worry. The K-9 unit would have to be inflated in size but off set by the tax our city leaders would impose. AND we would be a nuclear & methane free city! Cattle, of course, would be banned as well.
    Like the song says, "What a wonderful world it would be".

7. TopTop #6
    2Bwacco

This past winter holiday season, I cruised over and over RiteAid parking lot for a space...finally found a proper one. As I exited my vehicle, walking to the store, I passed a car parked "illegally" (i.e. not in a spot) and a demonstrably overdressed-in-a-drug-dealer-sort-of-way man with a walkie-talkie (or cell phone) who was radioing for a license plate check on that recently-parked vehicle. I thought to myself: hmmmm, undercover cop? or private security? hmmmm, but was amazed by the immediate, intense interest in background for a mildly-illegally parked car.

My point is, you don't see them, but they are there. And they see YOU and they are watching you.

In Sebastopol, the silvery grey cars blend in with surroundings very well. You will see them parked across from the post office waiting for you to speed by. Why, oh why, don't they catch the motorcycles I hear going there at over 50 mph???

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    Do you have a single fact to back up this statement? Sebastopol Police Department has 16 sworn officers

8. TopTop #7
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 2Bwacco: View Post

My point is, you don't see them, but they are there. And they see YOU and they are watching you.

In Sebastopol, the silvery grey cars blend in with surroundings very well.
    This still doesn't change the number of officers in this town. I'd love to see four more officers hired full-time for traffic patrol on Petaluma/Main St. Raceway. They would be able to not only pay for themselves, but would create such a budget surplus, Sebastopol wouldn't ever have to issue municipal bonds for major improvement projects. Between the bright red Pontiac G8's who chirp their tires taking off from a traffic light to prove something, to the people who race up the left lane on Main St. so they can cut people off by the Valero station, we'd solve the budget crisis....
    Last edited by Barry; 02-15-2010 at 11:28 AM.

9. TopTop #8
    Ted Pole

Plus, Sebastopol police are just about the nicest LE you'll find anywhere. If you've ever lived ANYwhere else, you'll know that by comparison, SPD are more like what happen when pixies and school crossing guards have children. The world needs MORE Sebastopol cops, not less.

Frankly, if you're farting in public, you SHOULD get popped!

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #9
    n4rky

When it comes to criticizing cops, I'm up there with the harshest critics I know of.

But to be honest, I haven't had any problems with the Sebastopol Police. The only problem I've ever had with law enforcement within the town limits was with a California Highway Patrol, many years ago, and even that didn't amount to much.

It is true I'm a more mild-mannered driver than in the past, but if they have ever seen me speeding, it must have been that they were waiting for someone going faster. Of course, I'm not a person of color and that could make a substantial difference. And while I was driving a ratty old car when I first returned to this area a year ago, it soon died and I have replaced it with something a bit more presentable, but still nothing on par for mean Sebastopol prosperity.

So I'm wondering a bit about all the complaints I see about Sebastopol Police on WaccoBB. There is considerable doubt to be raised about police generally; they certainly have their role in Jeffrey Reiman's The Rich Get Richer and the Poor Get Prison. And I quite thoroughly understand that police can be nasty.

But I honestly haven't seen here the overbearing tactics I have seen elsewhere.

12. TopTop #10
    alanora

I am a fan of farting, more so as I age. I declare farting a welcome release, out of doors especially, despite the threat to the atmosphere from all that methane. I think positive results would be seen immediately as folks dare to relax their abdomens and anuses, to a degree of course, as actual public elimination is frowned upon. Decreased rigidity of the personality would follow as day follows night. And what could be accomplished with all the energy freed from holding in gases in order to conform to outmoded custom of rigidity and repression. Talk about emanating the truth of who you are in the moment. wow.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    Plus, Sebastopol police are just about the nicest LE you'll find anywhere. If you've ever lived ANYwhere else, you'll know that by comparison, SPD are more like what happen when pixies and school crossing guards have children. The world needs MORE Sebastopol cops, not less.

Frankly, if you're farting in public, you SHOULD get popped!

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Some trolls invaded this thread (and a few others) recently. They and their posts have been removed from the system.

I'm sorry to those of you who had to witness this.

I invite you to report any post that you feel that is inappropriate by using the
    icon that is above all posts on the bulletin board.

Barry

15. Gratitude expressed by: