Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    kpage9

advice on scanning with windows vista

Can anyone tell me how to scan a multi-page document (hard copy) on the HP 5510 All-in-one using Windows Vista? All I come up with is the very cumbersome Photo Gallery...and I can't seem to send the resulting "tif" (whatever the heck that is) as an attachment, although it does open up for me, albeit very very slowly. And even then I have to go page by separate page when I view it.

(I just called Geek Squad--the phone rang for 8 minutes, then just clicked off. Then I went online--I have (ostensibly) free Geek Squad help available--and after about a 25=minute wait interspersed with occasional 'i'm still researching' comments, my own personal geek "disconnected" the conversation!!!!!.)

thanks to you avocational geeks with your big hearts,

kathy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Geni Houston

Re: advice on scanning with windows vista

I am a computer "lay" person, and stand to be corrected, but I do scan alot.
    It is the scanner/printer that needs to be set up correctly, not necessairly the computer. With my HP, and the 5510 was one that I used, you need to make sure you have installed the scanning portion of the drivers. In otherwords, the all in one has printer, scanner, copier and fax generally and you may not have installed all portions of the programs. Put the cd back in and see if when it boots up, if it askes for scanning installation.

I also have had scanners that "scan" to a pre-selected file that is hard to determine. With Vista and Windows 7 - I think they went directly to MY SCANS under MY DOCUMENTS

3. TopTop #3
    David8

I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to attach the "tif", but some people might not be able to view it. It would be better if you can save it as a jpg. Do you have that option?

In any case, this makes me think the problem could be with youe email, not the scanning. You should be able to attach ANY file of a reasonable size.

I always scan direct to photoshop, because it has many more options than basic scan software. That said, you can do the same from many graphic handling programs than are not as deluxe as photoshop. Most have the ability these days.

I have an HP scanner, and whether I'm using photoshop or the default HP scan software, I find it works better to start the scan from the software, rather than from the buttons on the printer panel.

Have you tried restarting the computer? That clears up about 75% of all errors.

Hope that helps.

4. TopTop #4
    troutski

A note about the advise....
    It is better to go to the website for the printer MFG and download the drivers for your model printer. These are up to date drivers, and most likely the ones on the disk are outdated.
    Also, you only download the drivers needed, and don't install all the drivers on the disk that you will never use,,,

Just my

Trout

Quote Posted in reply to the post by genihouston: View Post
    I am a computer "lay" person, and stand to be corrected, but I do scan alot.
    It is the scanner/printer that needs to be set up correctly, not necessairly the computer. With my HP, and the 5510 was one that I used, you need to make sure you have installed the scanning portion of the drivers. In otherwords, the all in one has printer, scanner, copier and fax generally and you may not have installed all portions of the programs. Put the cd back in and see if when it boots up, if it askes for scanning installation.

I also have had scanners that "scan" to a pre-selected file that is hard to determine. With Vista and Windows 7 - I think they went directly to MY SCANS under MY DOCUMENTS