Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Monte Rio’s septic woes sink the Pink Elephant

Sonoma West > Archives > Sonoma West Times & News > News > Monte Rio?s septic woes sink the Pink Elephant

by Frank Robertson
    Sonoma West Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:58 PM PST
    Monte Rio’s historic Pink Elephant bar closed last week after owner Tim Parker discovered the price of complying with county building code requirements was more than he could afford.

Parker said he’d like to put in a needed new septic system as part of a planned bar renovation but the estimated $50,000 to $80,000 installation cost puts it out of reach at a time when he already has cash flow problems and has filed for bankruptcy.

“I’m out of money,” said Parker. “I’ve gone as far as I can go with this.”

The news stunned Monte Rio residents for whom “the Pink,” as locals call it, served as a cultural landmark where old hippies, bikers and Bohemian Club bon vivants have all rubbed shoulders beneath the bright neon-lighted Pink Elephant sign above the bar’s front door. Except for a brief closure in the 1990s, the Pink has been open since 1937.

“It’s a crying shame,” said Villa Grande resident Ken Wikle. “That place has been a landmark forever and the way Parker was running it, it was a nice place.”

The bar was also gaining a reputation as a good place to eat, with Parker and staff turning out restaurant fare that attracted customers other than the Pink’s denizen die-hards.

“It’s a funky place that I’ll hit up after ab diving or a mushroom foray,” said a San Francisco customer’s comment on an online Web site. “The food is good as are the drinks. It’s the kind of place that makes me glad I live in San Francisco.”

A recent visitor from New York praised it as “an awesome cheap dive bar.”

Parker started work last month on improvements including new bathrooms in the approximately 100-year-old building. He hoped to reopen last week but a county building inspector, apparently acting on a complaint, determined the extent of the new construction exceeded the permit’s “scope of work.”

Parker now needs to prepare plans that detail the restroom replacement project that was under way, said Shems Peterson of the county Permit and Resource Management Department (PRMD).

“What he has to do is give us plans on what he’s planning on doing. We asked him to stop working until he submitted plans to cover all the additional work that he started,” said Peterson, PRMD’s supervising building inspector.

Parker removed the Pink’s bathrooms and planned to relocate them but had no permit for that work, said Peterson, adding that Parker can go back to PRMD with plans, pay penalties and reopen.

“We didn’t close it down. We did not post the building unsafe or deny access,” Peterson said.

“The existing bathrooms were out of compliance,” with accessibility requirements for people with disabilities, he added. “Now that he’s removed bathrooms that automatically triggers full compliance. A building permit of that extent triggers septic compliance. Had he talked to us before we would have warned him,” of what the larger scope of work would entail, Peterson said.

The Pink’s septic system borders Dutch Bill Creek which flows into the Russian River, a designated “impaired” waterway in Monte Rio owing to elevated pathogen levels.

Parker said he knew he was doing more work than his permit allowed but he felt it was crucial to keep the business going and didn’t think anyone would complain.

“I don’t begrudge the county. The septic system was failing,” said Parker. “Unfortunately it’s a matter of money.”

Parker bought the 72-year-old bar three years ago from former owners Rich and Donna Davis, who were then his father- and mother-in-law.

“I put everything I had into that place,” said Parker. “In the three years I owned the place every dime I made went right back into the building. I did what I could to make that place keep going.”

Liquor business had slowed in the current recession but food sales were up, said Parker. The menu ranged from house-made pizza and the Satan Burger embellished with chilies, cheese and bacon to specials such as lamb shanks and “prime rib every Thursday,” said Parker.

The Pink served food after other local restaurants had closed, making it a place where nearby resort guests could go for a late dinner.

“There aren’t a lot of places to eat in Monte Rio and not a lot of places to eat inexpensively,” said Parker.

The Pink has been a mainstay of downtown Monte Rio since the 1930s and is one of the last existing commercial buildings on Main Street where the lack of a modern sewage disposal system has been an obstacle to almost any new commercial venture.

When Parker bought the Pink three years ago Monte Rio was on the verge of getting a new $20 million sewage disposal system but that project was halted two years ago owing to the expense.

Now only Bartlett’s Market across the street remains open downtown, plus Noel’s auto repair and a thrift store. The Monte Rio firehouse up the street is up for a planned renovation that too will require a new septic system.

The Pink will go back to the bank, said Parker, to be sold in foreclosure.

“I don’t know what I’ll do,” said Parker, 43. “I was there 80 hours a week. I put everything I had into that place.”
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Monte Rio’s septic woes sink the Pink Elephant

Now, that photo really brings back memories... There was a food co-op right near there when I first moved to the county. Ahhh, the good ole days! I haven't been out that way in years...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Sonoma West > Archives > Sonoma West Times & News > News > Monte Rio?s septic woes sink the Pink Elephant

by Frank Robertson
    Sonoma West Staff Writer

Monte Rio’s historic Pink Elephant bar closed last week...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-28-2009 at 03:11 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

by Frank Robertson
    Sonoma West Staff Writer

Monte Rio’s historic Pink Elephant bar closed last week after owner Tim Parker discovered the price of complying with county building code requirements was more than he could afford.

Parker said he’d like to put in a needed new septic system as part of a planned bar renovation but the estimated $50,000 to $80,000 installation cost puts it out of reach at a time when he already has cash flow problems and has filed for bankruptcy.

“I’m out of money,” said Parker. “I’ve gone as far as I can go with this.”

The news stunned Monte Rio residents for whom “the Pink,” as locals call it, served as a cultural landmark where old hippies, bikers and Bohemian Club bon vivants have all rubbed shoulders beneath the bright neon-lighted Pink Elephant sign above the bar’s front door. Except for a brief closure in the 1990s, the Pink has been open since 1937.

“It’s a crying shame,” said Villa Grande resident Ken Wikle. “That place has been a landmark forever and the way Parker was running it, it was a nice place.”

The bar was also gaining a reputation as a good place to eat, with Parker and staff turning out restaurant fare that attracted customers other than the Pink’s denizen die-hards.

“It’s a funky place that I’ll hit up after ab diving or a mushroom foray,” said a San Francisco customer’s comment on an online Web site. “The food is good as are the drinks. It’s the kind of place that makes me glad I live in San Francisco.”

A recent visitor from New York praised it as “an awesome cheap dive bar.”

Parker started work last month on improvements including new bathrooms in the approximately 100-year-old building. He hoped to reopen last week but a county building inspector, apparently acting on a complaint, determined the extent of the new construction exceeded the permit’s “scope of work.”

Parker now needs to prepare plans that detail the restroom replacement project that was under way, said Shems Peterson of the county Permit and Resource Management Department (PRMD).

“What he has to do is give us plans on what he’s planning on doing. We asked him to stop working until he submitted plans to cover all the additional work that he started,” said Peterson, PRMD’s supervising building inspector.

Parker removed the Pink’s bathrooms and planned to relocate them but had no permit for that work, said Peterson, adding that Parker can go back to PRMD with plans, pay penalties and reopen.

“We didn’t close it down. We did not post the building unsafe or deny access,” Peterson said.

“The existing bathrooms were out of compliance,” with accessibility requirements for people with disabilities, he added. “Now that he’s removed bathrooms that automatically triggers full compliance. A building permit of that extent triggers septic compliance. Had he talked to us before we would have warned him,” of what the larger scope of work would entail, Peterson said.

The Pink’s septic system borders Dutch Bill Creek which flows into the Russian River, a designated “impaired” waterway in Monte Rio owing to elevated pathogen levels.

Parker said he knew he was doing more work than his permit allowed but he felt it was crucial to keep the business going and didn’t think anyone would complain.

“I don’t begrudge the county. The septic system was failing,” said Parker. “Unfortunately it’s a matter of money.”

Parker bought the 72-year-old bar three years ago from former owners Rich and Donna Davis, who were then his father- and mother-in-law.

“I put everything I had into that place,” said Parker. “In the three years I owned the place every dime I made went right back into the building. I did what I could to make that place keep going.”

Liquor business had slowed in the current recession but food sales were up, said Parker. The menu ranged from house-made pizza and the Satan Burger embellished with chilies, cheese and bacon to specials such as lamb shanks and “prime rib every Thursday,” said Parker.

The Pink served food after other local restaurants had closed, making it a place where nearby resort guests could go for a late dinner.

“There aren’t a lot of places to eat in Monte Rio and not a lot of places to eat inexpensively,” said Parker.

The Pink has been a mainstay of downtown Monte Rio since the 1930s and is one of the last existing commercial buildings on Main Street where the lack of a modern sewage disposal system has been an obstacle to almost any new commercial venture.

When Parker bought the Pink three years ago Monte Rio was on the verge of getting a new $20 million sewage disposal system but that project was halted two years ago owing to the expense.

Now only Bartlett’s Market across the street remains open downtown, plus Noel’s auto repair and a thrift store. The Monte Rio firehouse up the street is up for a planned renovation that too will require a new septic system.

The Pink will go back to the bank, said Parker, to be sold in foreclosure.

“I don’t know what I’ll do,” said Parker, 43. “I was there 80 hours a week. I put everything I had into that place.”

It really is a shame to see the impending demise of the Pink. While the owner bears alot of responsibility with his attempt to finesse unpermitted work, the larger Monte Rio community has to share some blame too. What does it take for folks here to acknowledge the need for a modern sewer system? Voters have approved sewer plans only to have it shot down by a vocal minority of anti sewer residents (and non residents) who are either blatant NIMBY types or don't want to spend any money on this needed infrastructure. The County has, at least in the past, exhibited uninspired leadership on this issue. Hopefully our bright new county supervisor, Efren Carillo, can help people come together for a reasonable solution. Monte Rio is slowly losing businesses and the downtown area is becoming more of a ghost town with each passing year. People have a very difficult time adding on to their homes, rebuilding after a fire, or just making improvements. Upgrading a septic, as Parker found out, may exceed the cost to a property owner of participation in the new sewer system. There is no question a sewer will be expensive, but it can be added to the property tax bills over 40 years and the resultant increase in property values is sure to offset at the very least a large part of the cost. Plus, the Guerneville sewer plant had more than adequate capability to handle Monte Rio. Had a sewer been in place we would still have the Pink, Monte Rio would have a downtown, and most importantly, the negative impact on the River water quality from failed or leaky septics would be stopped.

4. TopTop #4
    rewrite

I remember the old food coop next door as well. I remember when the whole back of the Pink fell off many years ago. Maybe that is when it was closed for a short while. The Pink is known up and down the coast. The Pink was the place to meet a friend as everyone knew where it was. Definitely a landmark which I wish could be saved. The article is a good one.Thanks for posting it Barry.

Yoná
    Last edited by Barry; 12-29-2009 at 12:52 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    Dan Fein

Another one bites the dust…

The Bohemians will have to find another place to party after their show and this year’s Thugz New Year’s Eve will be playing in…Rohnert Park L. The Pink has been in Monte Rio since the ‘30s, I think, and has survived many owners and many floods. Like Cheers, it was where everyone knew your name. It’s where I went when I returned from the hospital after Kris birthed our twins. Tom Lynch was there and bought me a beer and we toasted them. In recent years, under Tim Parker, it became a real community asset – a gathering place for the tribe where the Thugz played Grateful Dead music every Thursday. ‘Tis a sad day, indeed.

The Pink goes the way of the Co-op, Jerry’s Restaurant, the Knotty Room, and all the other businesses that once lined that side of Monte Rio’s main street. And that’s just since I’ve been here. Some burned and some just fell down, but none were rebuilt, all victims of our inability to adequately deal with wastewater. The business area is a visible reflection of what is not so visible in the residential areas of the community. Homes that burn sometimes cannot be rebuilt. What to do?

Monte Rio Wastewater Task Group (MRWTG) is an advisory group to the Community Development Commission, which administers the Russian River Redevelopment project. The task group was appointed by the CDC Executive Director to study the problem of wastewater disposition in the Monte Rio area and to identify potential solutions. The group consists of 13 members including Supervisor Carrillo.

The task group has met in each of the last 3 months. At the last meeting the group agreed on the following statement of purpose:

“To define the issues, research wastewater methods, systems and governance, educate the public, and recommend to the CDC the most cost effective, approvable wastewater solution(s) for property owners and tenants of the Monte Rio area* that will allow them to improve and build on their properties and protect public health and the environment.
    *Including but not limited to the Monte Rio Waiver Prohibition Area”

Education

Our first milestone will be to present to the community an all-day symposium on wastewater issues and how they apply to residents and property owners on the lower river. Our current thinking is that this could happen by summer. We will plan to promote this event in the community to get as much participation as possible.

Before we can present information to the community we need to educate ourselves. To that end, the task group has formed several study groups, each one tasked with the project of gathering information on a general topic and presenting it. Each study group will make its presentation to the rest of the task group. These presentations will form the basis for the content of the symposium.

The study groups will present on the following general topics:
    • How septic systems work
    • Regulation
    • Historical background
    • Other communities’ solutions
    • Technical possibilities
    There will also be a study group that will work on organizing the symposium.

On December 21 Rich Holmer, formerly of PRMD, gave an excellent presentation on How Septic Systems Work.

Our next presentation will be on January 11 and the topic will be Regulations. We expect to have a panel of representatives from the County and the Water Quality Control Board.

Public participation

As an advisory task group we do not have formal public meetings, however all task group meetings have been and will continue to be open to public attendance. Public comment is not a regular feature, but at some points in the meetings we have requested input from audience members. Presentations will generally include Q&A sessions.

Our meetings are generally on the third Monday of the month, subject to things like holidays. Information is posted on a dedicated page on the CDC web site at Monte Rio Wastewater Task Group - Sonoma County Community Development Commission. There is a link at the top of that page to subscribe to updates, including meeting announcements.

The study group presentations will comprise most of the meetings over the next few months. We hope that community members who are interested will attend the meetings and offer feedback to the presenters to help us improve the quality of the symposium.

-Dan-