County supervisor calls for ban on decorations to be lifted

ByDEREK J. MOORE
Published: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 11:34 a.m.

Christopher Chung / The Press Democrat
Sonoma County Deputy Public Defender and senior
trial attorney Barry Collins placed a Christmas tree
with a star on top in the lobby window of the public
defender's office despite the county's restrictions
on religious symbols in the workplace.
Sonoma County Supervisor Shirlee Zane asked the county's acting administrator Wednesday to reverse his decision to ban angels and stars from Christmas trees, saying the action potentially violates employees' rights of religious expression and free speech.

“Although I initially supported your decision to ask county employees to remove all angels and stars from Christmas trees, I have reconsidered that decision after much input and contemplation,” Zane said in a letter to Chris Thomas. “I believe that while you had the best interests of the county at heart, this is a policy decision and one that should be taken up with the board.”

Thomas on Monday ordered the removal of stars and angels from Christmas trees in all county buildings after an atheist activist complained that the items violated the Constitution.

The action sparked outcry from around the nation, most of it critical of the ban and of Irv Sutley, the 65-year-old disabled veteran who took issue with the items.

Thomas declined comment on Wednesday, except to say that he was attempting to contact Zane regarding her request.

At the Public Defender's Office Wednesday morning, senior trial attorney Barry Collins erected a Christmas tree adorned with a star in the office lobby to protest the county's actions.

Collins, who is Jewish, said he does not believe the star is a religious symbol, but symbolic of American tradition, like the stars that appear on the flag.

He said his protest is consistent with the public defender's mission of questioning authority and representing those whose Constituational rights are sometimes infringed upon.

Collins said the idea of erecting the tree came to him on Tuesday night as he was watched a holiday ceremony from the nation's capital and spotted a star on the tree that adorns the White House lawn.

“I think it's ridiculous,” he said of the county's ban. “I think it's important for an office like our to take a stand.”

Copyright © 2009 PressDemocrat.com — All rights reserved. Restricted use only.