I recently bought a DVD from Hotmoviesale.com finding a very inexpensive one that I wanted. In searching through some other online DVD companies, I ran into a website on complaints about this company and their covert dealings with smartsavingscenter.com. It seems that when you buy from Hotmoviesale, they automatically sign you up for promotional benefits without your consent...until it lands up on your credit card as a monthly bill. Sometimes the monthly charge comes before the billing. I read some options of what to do from someone who had been scammed by smartsavingscenter online. (What to Do When You Get Ripped Off by Smart Savings Center by Mogama) He said that they don't let you know that you have 7 days to get off w/o charge.

When I received my package, the smartsavingscenter.com slip was included welcoming me in small print, but not what I was charged, even for my DVD. Had I not been forewarned about this scam, I would have been charged monthly like so many other people.

I called my credit card fraud dept. letting them know, wrote a question ticket to Hotmoviesale telling them that if they planned on charging me for something I didn't agree to, then they would be investigated, and then called the number that I saw for hotmoviesales. It seems that they are available 24/7 and when I called, they even had a number to press to cancel memberships.

I chose to talk to a representative instead of just canceling to see if I was even included, and indeed I was listed as a paying member. I told the rep that she best get me off that list immediately, that others know about the scam on the internet, and I planned on taking this further to BBB, egroups and consumer fraud...be warned. She gave me a cancellation number and immediately emailed it to me. It seemed that another company besides smartsavingscenter is involved as I got a cancellation for https://www.bestbrandvalues.com/Default.aspx

I hope that by writing this, I'll save others time and money in dealing with such scams.