In Sept 09, I was requesting referrals for an affordable vet to evaluate a beautiful little six-toed cat, who kept coming around, even though I chased her away and didn't feed her. We already have 2 cats, and sometimes can't afford to give them the vet care they should have.

She refused to take "no" for an answer, and after a few months of trying to get her to leave, I accepted that she was choosing to be here, even with my very vocal rejection!

I began to feed her, but didn't let her in. After a few days, she willingly allowed me to pick her up. She actually relaxed in my arms. It was then I saw the big bump on her chest. I hoped that maybe it was a fluid filled sac that could be taken care of easily. I also noticed that she was limping, and cried when she put her paw down.

Being on a survival disability income, I considered how I could help this little girl. Two people from Wacco sent me money to help with the upcoming vet bill of an unknown amount. I was amazed and grateful for their generosity.

When I picked up the cat that I called "Sweetie", after surgery, I was told she had a "massive tumor" that took a long time to get out, and one of her nails from her 6th toe had curled back and was growing into her pad. Ouch!! The bill was $600! I had $500 in my emergency savings account, and I asked the vet to give me a break on the bill. She took $75 off.

The vet seemed to think that Sweetie may have a disease (cancer?) that would re-occur. I said that this was all I could do for her, and my intention was to take away the pain, and give her some joy while she was still alive.

I decided to allow her into the house, because I wanted to give her the best chance to heal in a safe place, rather than have to deal with the elements and other animals.

I set up a bed for myself and Sweetie on the floor in the office. She really
wasn't used to the luxury of being indoors, and wanted out the first niight after surgery. The vet said "She'll be a little groggy from the meds, so keep her in for a few days." But Sweetie somehow got out that first night.

In the morning I found a gift at the back door.....a beheaded mouse!!! She wasn't as groggy as they thought she might be!! After that, I was able to keep her confined at night, and let her out during the day.

She has healed amazingly fast, but the best part of this report is that she has provided me with such trust, love and gratitude, that it's been very healing for me on a deeply emotional level. I've been in a very vulnerable place physically, mentally, and emotionally.

She comes when I call her in at night. She looks up at me as if
she knows I saved her life, and now she wants to repay me. She's a real cuddler, nuzzler, with a very loud purr. Her warmth next to me, gives me such a feeling of joy and appreciation that she choose to have me help her.

As a photographer, I've tried many times to take a portrait of her, but for some reason, she's camera shy. I did put one image on Wacco when she was in pain, and it's so apparent in her eyes. I'll keep trying to get one that shows how beautiful she is, and when I do, I'll post it.

I want to add that if you're ever moved to help an animal (or person) in any way, even though it may be a temporary hardship (as it was for me), there may be an unimaginable and joyful reward in store for you!