Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

View Poll Results: If the H1N1Flu Shot was available to you right now, would you get one?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Yes

14 23.73%
  • 2) No

34 57.63%
  • 3) Undecided

3 5.08%
  • 4) I would never get any kind of inoculation

8 13.56%

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Tars

H1N1 Flu Shot - Would You Get One?

Question for Waccobians - If H1N1 flu shots were available to you right now, at your primary care outlet, at the regular price paid there, would you get a shot?
    Last edited by Tars; 11-07-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    farmgirl

Re: H1N1 Flu Shot - Would You Get One?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Question for Waccobians - If H1N1 flu shots were available to you right now, at your primary care outlet, at the regular price paid there, would you get a shot?
    No.

3. TopTop #3
    Cheingrand

Yes, without hesitation.

4. TopTop #4
    Sylph

I plan to get one, even though I've been exposed to people with confirmed H1N1...coughed on, no less, for a prolonged period of time, still healthy!

The "swine flu" shot is no different than the regular flu shot, same basic ingredients, different antigen (killed virus). The seasonal virus is different every year, anyway, this one is "not out of the ordinary".

Young and young-middle aged people are most vulnerable. If you have asthma or other risk factors, you should have the vaccine, for sure. However, 30% of those severely affected are "young, healthy people".

I know several people who have suffered the flu and spent at least a week very miserable, and another week or so getting back up to speed.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cheingrand: View Post
    Yes, without hesitation.

5. TopTop #5
    alanora

Nope

6. TopTop #6

I have never had a flu shot, so I guess I would not start now.

7. TopTop #7

Why get a shot that can't possibly work? After all they started making this in the spring, and the virus they are using is a virus that lived in the spring. Unfortunately viruses are constantly mutating, so the flu that is going around now is not the same as the one that was going around in the spring that produced todays flu shot.

8. TopTop #8
    Conly

YES!!!

9. TopTop #9
    photolite

Yes

10. TopTop #10
    Valley Oak

Hello no!

(And I forced myself not to use the 'f' word.)

The only way I would even consider using it is if people were dropping like flies all around me. And then I would suspect that the pandemic might be artificially (although innocently) provoked by the "immunizations" themselves.

Edward

11. TopTop #11
    Karinako

I have a heart condition and asthma, warranting my getting the shot. However, I know of a young woman, daughter of an older lady friend of mine, who died from the earlier series of injections for swine flu, approximately thirty years ago. My husband had me convinced that I needed the shot. I had the shakes the night before I was to get the shot and was unable to sleep. I knew I had to get the shot and await the outcome. Since the shot, I have alternatively had an upset stomach, sweats, pain throughout my thorax, trouble breathing more than usual, and now a thick cough, runny nose, and other symptoms of influenza. What to make of this? I'm sick of this, and I want to return to my state before the shot.

Karan Henley Haugh

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    I plan to get one, even though I've been exposed to people with confirmed H1N1...coughed on, no less, for a prolonged period of time, still healthy!

The "swine flu" shot is no different than the regular flu shot, same basic ingredients, different antigen (killed virus). The seasonal virus is different every year, anyway, this one is "not out of the ordinary".

Young and young-middle aged people are most vulnerable. If you have asthma or other risk factors, you should have the vaccine, for sure. However, 30% of those severely affected are "young, healthy people".

I know several people who have suffered the flu and spent at least a week very miserable, and another week or so getting back up to speed.

12. TopTop #12
    Tars

If an H1N1 vaccine was available to me right now, I would take it. My body doesn't handle stress of any kind, injury, infection, well at all these days. On the internet one can find a supporting opinion, no matter how bizarre the assertion.

The information sources which I tend to trust, unanimously encourage vaccination.

13. TopTop #13
    nicofrog

I would suggest that we trot out and rent the movie"Constant Gardener"
    and see it again, and remind yourselves that this is (was) a true story.
    I suggest going to Organic consumers website to read horrific reports of
    MANY pregnant women aborting after taking these drugs, and evidently,the package insert says right on it "not tested on pregnant women!" go figger
    its Guinea Pig flue! who knew?
    Organic Health Tips, Guides And Information

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/11/05/Swine-Flu-Vaccine-Ingredients.aspx

Mercola is good on this, albeit the main doctor at some huge
    British medical firm did knock him down a notch or two
    and put in a heart breaking account of kids filling up his emergency room.
    Never the less the CRAP they throw into that stuff is enough to keep any right minded label reader a mile away from the stuff. I'd rather die of a disease than have formaldehyde pumped into me prematurely YUK
    and neosporin!!
    what do they do stand aroun the vat going"hey I know lets put some W D 40 in there to, and see what happens"
    fine guys but not on my watch, I think I'll just watch this one go bye.
    Nico
    Organic Health

14. TopTop #14
    Ridinrn

I am a healthcare worker, working in a trauma unit locally. I have taken care of patients with h1n1. It is a deadly disease, enough so that patients have been recovering there some for weeks. I have been vacinated with the H1N1 and strongly feel by experience, that anyone who has the opportunity to get this vacine and doesn't take it is silly. I did not have any ill effects from it or my normal seasonal flu shot. I am also a proponent of herbal remedies in lieu of antibiotics when deemed, however holistic can not prevent or stop this epidemic. We are fitted with special masks and suspected h1n1 cases are isolated until ruled out. This involves mask, gown and of course gloves. Proper handwashing is essential also for prevention. So you might say, I am more apt to contract H1N1 since I am on the "front". So are you. When you shop, go to the doctors office, visit friends, get coffee. Some of you may simply disagree with me, but that's your choice. I see what this deadly virus can do. Have you? Get your shots everyone when available.

15. TopTop #15
    YusufE

Is it not very interesting how anxious people can get about influenza? This has been a major concern since the 1918-1919 'Spanish Lady' Flu, when millions of people contracted the flu and died. Allopathic medicine failed to deliver then; and with the widespread use of Aspirin recommended at the time, severe hemorrhagic complications and numerous cases of Reye's syndrome occured!
    Every year, some current mutation of the virus erupts and demands or suggests that people look at their susceptibility to influenza, their lifestyle, acknowledge their level of health and address the issue of immunity.

The emphasis in allopathic medicine and the media is on the vector, the virus; feared as a terrorist out to slay the innocent victim. Personal responsibility for one's health, parental responsibility for supporting your children's health, these are the underlying issues associated with susceptibility. The positive actions that one can take toward balancing and supporting your immunity are minimalized or unspoken.

Fear of contracting the flu may be one of the biggest susceptibility factor associated with contracting the flu!
    The fear of the flu is fueled by multiple media accounts of the deluge of influenza. Often it is quoted that 36,000 people die each year in USA from influenza. In actuality, very few people die directly from the viral illness; the majority of these deaths are secondary infections usually pneumonia. Underlying chronic disease is generally associated with these unfortunate individuals that succumb. Most do not actually have the lab tests done to confirm that the influenza virus was present. One study could only confirm in 2004 that 237 deaths out of the 36,000 were confirmed death due to Influenza!

For people with underlying chronic disease, especially involving the respiratory system, it may seem appropriate to assist them in all ways possible to avoid contracting the flu. Vaccines and anti viral (neuraminidase inhibitors) medications are what allopathic medicine can offer. Unfortunately, there are serious questions regarding the safety and efficacy of the seasonal and H1N! influenza vaccines. One must judge the risk/benefit ratio and make a conscious decision when choosing such an intervention.

California and other states banned the use of mercury based preservatives in vaccinations for pregnant woman and children under three due to concerns regarding neurotoxicity and autism. Great efforts have been done to challenge and dismiss the concerns with autism. However, with the fear and panic associated with H1N1 flu this year, the state has lifted the ban and is allowing vaccines containing these preservatives, thimerosal, squalene, formaldehyde, to be available for immunization of the masses.

In addition, studies have shown that healthy middle age people generally develop a short term immunity to the current flu virus after innoculation. However, the more at risk people, like the elderly, and the very young, do not have the same success rate of developing immunity. Therefore, there may be a false sense of of protection for those most at risk for complications of flu. There is some evidence that in these individuals, with ineffective immunity, the vaccine may act as a primer rather than as protector, enhancing susceptibility.

Common sense health habits to prevent infection make sense. Washing your hands regularly; eating nutritiously; getting adequate sleep, 7 hours +; getting regular outdoor exercise; balancing your life so that work (school), stress, and debt, do not overshadow home life, relaxation time, and loving relationships. As seasonal influenza and H1N1 are airborne viruses, saline nasal rinses and oral saline gargles can rinse away the virus from the portals of our bodies, inhibiting the virus if you do get exposed.

I encourage individuals to make a personal decision regarding influenza and what steps they want to take to strengthen their immunity. Personal Immunity involves a person (the host) being healthy and able to recognize abnormal cells or foreign particles. Personal boundaries are part of a personal immunity. One of my concerns about susceptibility to influenza is the willingness of people to allow other people to decide what is best for them. Mass hysteria is not healthy behavior.
    Best wishes for you in your path of a healthy life.
    Yusuf Erskine DO

16. TopTop #16
    rocket man

No.

17. TopTop #17
    ItsaNewDawn

No way! who knows whats in there?!
    Im going to strenghthen my immune system, sleep enough, and think positive! all adding to overall health.
    PLUS receive BodyTalk treatments to be preventative! and also get treatments if ill.
    blessings,

18. TopTop #18
    Braggi

Of course I'll get one and so will my daughter. Clancy, you're wrong about this being "mild." It's killing more people by this point in the flu season than is usually the case and is now predicted to be the most dangerous flu in modern times here in the US. A lot of people are going to die.

This is a standard flu vaccine, nothing special or scary. There are no adjuvants, though that's really too bad since they do work.

To those suggesting they will "boost their immune systems," I have to ask: by doing what? Taking a lot of pills every day? How natural of you. Do they come from the organic pill tree? Think about it people. Taking a pile of pills every day isn't natural, but it is what Big Pharma wants you to do since the half a dozen largest pharmaceutical companies make nearly all the white powder drugs you find in your pills at the "health food" stores whether they say "natural" on them or not.

Vaccines are the natural way to boost your immune systems in a way tuned in exactly to the pathogen you want protection from. That's what vaccines do. Think about it. Learn about it. Just go to sources that can back up what they say and doubt anything you see on youtube. That's about the worst source for information out there.

Hope you all stay well.

-Jeff

19. TopTop #19
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: youtube videos about vaccines h1n1

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    And posts like this is why I mentioned youtube is about the worst place to look for guidance. Mercola is a liar, a cheat and a criminal. He's been slapped on the wrists numerous times for selling his snake oil with lies. I think he should be rotting in prison for murder. His lies kill people.

It's not to each his own. Your failure to vaccinate your kid could kill my kid. That's beyond irresponsible, it's child abuse, and by extension, is manslaughter.

No, I'm not pulling punches, because this discussion has gotten too serious. The anti vaxers are beyond stupid, they're dangerous.

-Jeff
    I guess that makes me stupid and dangerous.

20. TopTop #20
    podfish

I happen to agree with Jeff on this one, and with Clancy as far as people holding on to their beliefs. Unfortunately I bet there're times when I'm stupid and dangerous too.... that's kind of the point - the people who are the most careful to avoid being stupid are the most dangerous when they -are- wrong. You roll the dice and take your chance. However, the smart money bets on the guy with the loaded dice.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I guess that makes me stupid and dangerous.

21. TopTop #21
    quincydoc

Thanks Braggi for holding on to the science-based position on the flu vaccines! To really find out what the H1N1 flu is capable of, read "The Great Influenza" by John Barry---meticulously documented, reads like a novel. Or "Flu" by Gina Kolata.. This virus was capable of killing people within 48-72 hours from acute respiratory collapse (not bacterial pneumonia). A few people have gotten this variety this year and in-hospital mortality is STILL over 20%. We've been lucky so far that the current virus hasn't taken that last mutation step. PS: it wasn't overdoses of aspirin that killed 50 million people in 1918..... it was "the flu".

For up to date info: cdc.gov/flu

Well, it's about a lot more than choice. It's about a virulent flu virus running rampant around the globe and killing thousands of people. It's about a safe, effective vaccine now available (in some places) that will offer resistance to that virus should you become exposed to it. It's about the relationship of these things to the society we live in and the fact that if enough people get vaccinated we will improve the so called "herd immunity" and reduce the number of people exposed to this virus that's killing people.

The problem is that just one person getting vaccinated won't necessarily keep that person from getting harmed by the flu. If a whole lot fewer people are going about sharing their germs with others because those people got vaccinated, then fewer people will come down with the flu, even those who did not get vaccinated.

It is the people who make the choice to get vaccinated that are protecting the others. If enough get vaccinated we'll develop the herd immunity that means many fewer will become infected.

Those who don't get vaccinated make the choice that means they are more likely to infect others. That's how your choice effects me.

I'm very libertarian minded and wouldn't want the government to take the choice away from you.

Choose well.

-Jeff

22. TopTop #22
    paulswetdog

Being over 50, and thus having been exposed to the similar strains and developed some immunity, I don't really think I personally need the shot.

But I took my 16 year old daughters to get theirs, without hesitation, and would do it again.

I think what we have going on here is a distrust of the public health system, and that this is part of a general distrust of all authorities. What else would we expect when our government tortures, starts illegal immoral wars, and gives billions to the criminals who wrecked our economy? But, those are not the people who are advising us that H1N1 is a dangerous flu that can kill our kids!

23. TopTop #23
    Jude Iam

"The Infection Deception"-Unanswered Questions about Swine Flu Controversy (in-depth article)dear waccos all~ 12 page essay with 2 pages of footnotes, written by my friend, byron, who co-authored a recent book on health and medicine with dr. len saputo. to read, please go to their blog: https://www.areturntohealing.com/blog/node/16
    blessings of health and wholeness, judith

Dear friends:

I very rarely forward PDFs, but—with no pun intended—we believe this 7500-word article deserves to go viral.

Please forward it as you see fit to your networks, your colleagues, and your friends—or post it freely (with proper attribution) at your websites or blogs.

My colleague Dr. Len Saputo and I have been watching this phenomenon for months. In this essay, our findings include:

• The CDC is increasingly obfuscating the facts about incidence and virulence of the H1N1 virus.
    • President Obama’s declaration of a national emergency around this issue verges on the bizarre.
    The WHO redefined the word “pandemic” one month after the swine flu breakout (find out why).
    • H1N1 is not a serious infection; the death rate is lower than typical seasonal flu.
    • The FDA is actively suppressing purveyors of natural immune-system boosting substances (if related to H1N1).
    • Some doses of the H1N1
    vaccine contains do contain mercury, regardless of current state laws.
    • In spite of numerous other safety issues, H1N1 vaccine makers are immune to prosecution for medical-liability suits.
    • Meta-studies of flu vaccines (in general) show that this form of immunization actually does not work.

And there is much more, inside. The point is: it doesn’t all add up. There are many critical unanswered questions. We’ll try to address them in
    "The Infection Deception-Part II,” which is coming in a few weeks. (To ensure you receive notice of it, please join our email list: https://tinyurl.com/ybr7g7r)

Thanks for your attention, and if you can, let’s us know what you think of the essay.

Best regards,
    Byron Belitsos and Len Saputo, MD
    Authors of A Return To Healing: Radical Health Care Reform and the Future of Medicine
    https://www.areturntohealing.com

PS The essay is posted at our blog:
    The Infection Deception?Unanswered Questions about the Swine Flu Controversy | Health, Politics, and You

Barry, I love you and I love what you do for the Wacco community, but please, learn something about health care. The flu isn't caused by bacteria. None of those things on your list will help with the flu.

Please support your assertions with some science. Alternatives to antibiotics, and BTW, I can shoot holes in any argument that any of those things are actually alternatives to antibiotics, aren't going to help against the flu.

Let's talk about H1N1. Why wouldn't you vaccinate your child? ... or yourself?

-Jeff

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #24
    rekarp

Re:

I saw my doctor last week - Trina Bowen at the Occidental Health Clinic. She strongly advised me to get the vacination and said the estimate is that 40% of people will get H1N1 in this one next season. She said no one at the clinic has had an adverse reaction to the vacine.

Ron

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    We still don't have an actual comparison, which I find puzzling to say the least, because we have libraries of data to draw from. What I keep seeing are convoluted explanations why we don't see scientific comparisons.

If H1N1 mortality were higher than average, it would be an easy task to tease out specific, comparative markers from the mountains of flu data available.

26. TopTop #25
    StormDancer

Thank-you Jeff, for giving us all an quick "Immune System 101."
    It is impossible to make an intelligent descision regarding the vaccines without it.

As for the question "Would You Get One?" ...
    My answer is "NO."

I saw my medical doctor today and he did offer me the vaccine even though he is very aware of my medical history. I decided against and my doctor supports my decision, but my situation is unusual.
    1. I am over 55 and spent my early years in large cities. Therefore I probably was already exposed to and carry antibodies similar to those of the H1N1 virus.
    2. Although I am often very ill with immune system disfunctions, I have not had a comunicable illness since my immune system went haywire 5 years ago. It is not likely that I will contract the H1N1 virus even if heavily exposed to it.
    3. I have a hyper-active immune system that over-reacts to most common allergens and medicines. It is likely that I would react adversly to a vaccine of this nature.
    Whether or not you decide to recieve the vaccination, I urge you to consult your doctor or pediatrician with your concerns. This virus is a killer and the vaccine is harmless to most people. If you decide against it please make sure your reasons are sound.
    Wishing you all good health,
    AnnaLisa
    P.S. My healthy, 87 year old mother has decided against the vaccine as well. Her doctor disagrees but respects her decision; they agree to disagree.

Barry, what stimulates immune systems is pathogens; not vitamins, not herbs, certainly not homeopathy which does nothing. The healthiest kids, in terms of resistance to diseases, allergies and asthma are kids raised on farms where mom never heard of Clorox. One of the main reasons breast feeding builds kids with strong immune systems is the exposure to pathogens on mom's skin as well as mom's antibodies contained within breast milk. Most of the people reading this will not go back to breast feeding, so I suggest the next best thing: vaccines. They are engineered to stimulate the immune system since they ARE exposure to pathogens; albeit pathogens that have been reduced in virulence by various means. In some cases the pathogens are not identical to the one the vaccine is designed to protect from, but in any case, vaccines encourage the immune system to mount a response that, hopefully, will also protect against the more dangerous pathogen, in this case the H1N1 flu virus. That's science Barry. All of my statements can be confirmed if the reader wishes to use google.

I repeat: none of the things you listed will reduce the spread or virulence of H1N1. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

-Jeff

PS. The best thing parents in cities can do to reduce the chance their offspring will have allergies or asthma is have both dogs and cats during the first year of life and avoid anti bacterial anything. That's what the research shows.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-18-2009 at 05:03 PM.

27. TopTop #26
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I have split the discussion off of this thread into a new thread in the WaccoTalk category called:
    Let's reserve this thread for members to chime in, unchallenged, as to whether or not they plan to get a H1N1 Flu Shot and why.

So all you lurkers out there, please post your thoughts here without fear!
    Last edited by Barry; 01-23-2012 at 10:55 PM.

28. TopTop #27
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Please note that this thread as an attached poll:
    "If the H1N1 flu shot was available to you right now, would you get one?"
    At this point, with 30 votes, the results are:
    60% Will not get the shot
    33% Will get the shot
    6% undecided
    Be sure to VOTE! In addition to voting, I encourage you to also post your comments, but that is not required.

You can vote here:

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/gener...t-one.html#top

29. TopTop #28
    brian

never. these like fluoride, mercury, heavy metals, viruses, are meant too harm you. they will try to make them mandatary in satan's new world order. order out of chaos.
    fox news to ron paul: have you ever had sex with texas governor rick perry??
    response: seriously?

30. TopTop #29
    dancingstar

A grand DITTO to this response. I would only add, nor near the bodies of my children.

Wishing all health and wholeness,

Judy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by TreeLight: View Post
    Absolutely NOT!

I've researched and read throughly. There is nothing in that formula that I want anywhere near my body.
    The story of Joseph Moshe says it all.

31. TopTop #30
    nicofrog

NO ((Barry your links are not working )) I have NEVER mety anyone with the swine flue as a matter of fact,I did not see anyone with any flu for a year now!! Fact; I have a friend who is a registered nurse,pro flu vaccine..and she admits that A there have been few or no cases B doctors have been forbidden to diagnose flue cases if they use the vaccine!! good lord that in itself is an outrage! I will never get a flu or a vaccine I will eat Kale every week,lots of kim Chee(that i make myself) to aid digestion and assimilation and yes Jeffery I will take minerals and some vitamins cause you are out-numbered by real medical science.Jeesh you remind me of those guys who are saying "there IS no global warming,and well ,it was natural anyway" sure so is the atomic bomb,but that doesn't mean its a good idea to keep one in your living room. people worry too much good lord cave man life expectancy was around 35 so if you are passed that count your lucky stars,look around ,enjoy the scenery,and get ready to leave! That' right ,get out of the way so others can be born and take your comfortable little space.. If you are so healthy..yay,stick around and help out.. Nico

32. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: