Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    christyanthemum

best novel(s) set in Sonoma Co./North Bay or San Fran Bay area?

Hi WaccoBB'ers.

I am looking for a good novel (or 2 or 3) for my Mom that is set in Sonoma County or the North Bay, ideally. I recently moved here and I think a novel set in this region would be a great holiday gift. She loves historical fiction, but contemporary stories would be great too. Any suggestions? I would also happily welcome suggestions for novels set in the larger San Francisco Bay area. Let's hear 'em! ;)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Mr. Bourgea

Re: best novel(s) set in Sonoma Co./North Bay or San Fran Bay area?

I'm a big fan of The City, Not Long After by Pat Murphy, a tale set in post-plague San Francisco and North Bay locales (mostly SF). I taught it to my eighth grade students a couple of years back, though it's not intended for juvenile readers as such. Can an invading army be effectively resisted using only the power of art and theater? Really thought-provoking stuff, and entertaining to read. Also recommended, though this one IS for juvenile readers: Black and Blue Magic by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, about a boy in San Francisco who is given the power to fly. Great local detail.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by christyanthemum: View Post
    Hi WaccoBB'ers.

I am looking for a good novel (or 2 or 3) for my Mom that is set in Sonoma County or the North Bay, ideally. I recently moved here and I think a novel set in this region would be a great holiday gift. She loves historical fiction, but contemporary stories would be great too. Any suggestions? I would also happily welcome suggestions for novels set in the larger San Francisco Bay area. Let's hear 'em! ;)

3. TopTop #3
    Bird Watcher

Black and Blue Magic by Zilpha Keatley Snyder is also one of my all time favorites. I read it in high school, but it transcends the generation gap. In the same vein, but perhaps a little more grown up is "Carter Beats the Devil" by Glen David Gold. Takes place in Oakland/Trestle Glen area and S.F. Great plot.

4. TopTop #4
    pianodoc

Hi WaccoBB'ers.

"Fup" by Jim Dodge is set in the Cazadero area and It's a real gem. Try River reader in Guerneville.

5. TopTop #5
    Insights

Hi WaccoBB'ers.

Jack London's Valley of the Moon well crafted, good read.

6. TopTop #6
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Ditto for Jim Dodge's "Fup". He also wrote "Not Fade Away" which is set out here in Caz. Used to be a neighbor of mine.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Piano Doc: View Post
    "Fup" by Jim Dodge is set in the Cazadero area and It's a real gem. Try River reader in Guerneville.

7. TopTop #7
    buddhafrog

Drop City by T.C. Boyle starts out here, on a commune out in Petaluma. Though it does end up in Alaska...

8. TopTop #8
    calafia

Carter Beats the Devil was great, how about "Always Coming Home" by Ursula K. Leguin.

9. TopTop #9
    Roland Jacopetti

Hi WaccoBB'ers.

Hi. I recommend Jack London's "Valley of the Moon." I'd not read that book until a few years ago, and find it really stands the test of time. Jonah Raskin, a Sonoma County writer, has put together an interesting London anthology, "The Radical Jack London" - not specifically about London in Sonoma County, but an interesting picture of the writer. And, speaking of Jonah, don't miss his latest, "Field Days," about a year spent farming in Northern California.

Roland Jacopetti

10. TopTop #10
    christyanthemum

Thank you, Thank you everyone! I can't wait to check these out-- to read myself and as gifts for my Mom... You guys & gals are awesome! But don't let me stop anyone from posting more...

11. TopTop #11
    packardcarr

See if you can find "Vintage of A Murder" by Newton dal Pogetto of Sonoma.

Hi WaccoBB'ers.

12. TopTop #12
    Mr. Bourgea

Oh my golly, how could I have forgotten Fup? That's one of my ten favorite books of all time. Every time I read it -- and I've read it so many times I've lost count, but it's got to be upwards of 50 by now -- I laugh and I weep. It is not to be missed.

The rest of Mr. Dodge's work is, I regret to say, nowhere near as essential reading. All worth a look, but ultimately unsatisfying (to me).

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tacitus: View Post
    Good morning to all readers!

Fup was one of the best stories of my reading life. I'll hit up the library for Not Fade Away and all the other interesting books that are coming up on this thread.

13. TopTop #13
    jbox

Hi WaccoBB'ers.

Try Earth Abides by George Stewart, set in Berkeley in the 40s. Great book!

14. TopTop #14
    Stephanie S.

Mother Nature by Sarah Andrews is set on the Laguna de Santa Rosa. The protagonist/sleuth, Em Hansen, is a forensic geologist. You'll find out about the region from the ground up while enjoying a whodunnit mystery.

Mother Nature

15. TopTop #15
    kpage9

Don't forget Wallace Stegner--several of his books were set in the Bay Area. I thin.k it was "Angle of Repose" that I liked the best

16. TopTop #16
    christyanthemum

Thanks again, everyone! Awesome list you're building here for me/us!

17. TopTop #17
    Stephanie S.

Since you're branching out to SF Bay Area, here are a few of hundreds:

Pacific Street and Lily Nevada by Cecelia Holland, historical fiction

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

Portrait in Sepia by Isabel Allende

Marcia Muller’s detective, Sharon McCone set in SF (her husband Bill Pronzini writes SF based mysteries too)

Laurie King’s detective, Mary Russell, works in historical SF

Dianne Day’s detective, Fremont Jones, also works in historical SF

18. TopTop #18
    beanmhor

Try the delightful Peter Beagle's Folk of the Air, set in an alternative incarnation of Berkeley and dealing with the world of the Renaissance Faire and greater and older magic. It'll take you away.

19. TopTop #19
    marthyglaser

Has anyone mentioned Jean Hegland's Into The Forest?

Martha