Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Sebastopol Police Chief speaks about DUI Checkpoints (Audio)

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/wacco...ept09-2009.mov" AUTOSTART=FALSE />
    Sebastopol Police Chief Jeff Weaver was kind enough to speak with me about the recent DUI Checkpoint in Sebastopol that has raised questions and concerns in our PD: Cracking down on drunken drivers (DUI CHECKPOINTS) thread.

He addresses:
    1) The efficacy and efficiency of DUI Checkpoints vs. Saturation Patrols
    2) DUI Checkpoint statistics
    3) Invasion of privacy issues
    4) Ulterior motives for checkpoint (ie: searching for transportation of marijuana?)
    5) Sebastopol DUI arrest statistics
    6) DUI Checkpoint funding
    7) Peace in Medicine

(If you are reading this in an email, see this post on the website to listen to the interview:
    https://www.waccobb.net/forums/gener...html#post97339 )

And if you still don't see the media player on this post on the website, try clicking on this link:
    https://www.waccodev.com/BigFilesForProduction/JeffWeaverCallSept09-2009.mov
    19 minutes
    Last edited by Barry; 04-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Sebastopol Police Chief speaks about DUI Checkpoints (Audio)

How do I hear this interview?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Goto the first post on this thread and click on the small play button on the media player.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by someguy: View Post
    How do I hear this interview?

4. TopTop #4

Sorry Barry but I can't see any media player in the original post. I click the link and it takes me right back to this thread. Maybe it's just me....
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Goto the first post on this thread and click on the small play button on the media player.

5. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

if you are having trouble with the hearing the interview you can try this link instead:

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/wacco...ept09-2009.mov

6. TopTop #6
    bodegahead

Thank you very much Barry. Very commendable effort.How can we contact Chief Weaver and thank him for being so forthright? Like maybe an email. From what I know about the guy he is a prettydecent human being. I like the guy and I would say Sebastopol is lucky to have him. Could be way worse.

7. TopTop #7
    Tars

if you are having trouble with the hearing the interview you can try this link instead:

Also, you can download the file from that link, and play it on your home computer with any media player that will play .mov files. Examples would be Windows Media Player, or WinAmp. You do not need to have Apple's Quicktime to listen. Download then listen might be more pleasant listening for folks with slower/dial-up connections.

8. TopTop #8
    Tars

I also appreciate Chief Weaver's candid and informative presentation.

I was reassured that it's not a goal of the local PD to increase the number of roadblock checkpoints. I felt that it's a very dubious benefit, for the citizens at least, that checkpoints allow officers to interview (question for law enforcement purposes) large quantities of law abiding drivers.

His opinion that there's an correlation between general economic conditions, and the number of DUI arrests seems logical

I also question whether there's any benefit to the public from roadblocks being "for the media". If it was important to the media, then the same effect would be accomplished by a photographer with a police band scanner. I think it's more important to gov't officials to provide a photo op.

I tried to find out where the California Office Of Traffic Safety grants are funded from. Are they funded from the general state budget? Or are funds garnered by fines generated from checkpoint infractions used to fund the grants? If they are, it means that checkpoints are used to fund more checkpoints, to fund more grants for more checkpoints, etc. Since for the labor cost spent, they really aren't effective at reducing DUIs, that wouldn't be a good sign for our civil liberties.

9. TopTop #9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    I tried to find out where the California Office Of Traffic Safety grants are funded from. Are they funded from the general state budget? Or are funds garnered by fines generated from checkpoint infractions used to fund the grants? If they are, it means that checkpoints are used to fund more checkpoints, to fund more grants for more checkpoints, etc. Since for the labor cost spent, they really aren't effective at reducing DUIs, that wouldn't be a good sign for our civil liberties.
    Aren't the grants federal? I thought that is what he said in the interview. My question is, if these checkpoints don't really work all that well (like chief said), and the saturation method works way better, why is he wasting our money on DUI checkpoints that he knows aren't effective?

I think he spends our money in this manner because, like he said, he thinks its a great thing that his officers get to encounter thousands of citizens legally without any cause or reason. To me, that just proves that the chief would love to just to pry into every one's private life and dig up as many infractions as possible. Luckily, he only has 14 officers or so... But still, my local police force should not squander our money, and should definitly not favor unprovoked massive interrogations.

This is proof of the police state mentality that is shared by much of the law enforcment community now a days. I find it sad and disgraceful. I hope he's not reading this....

10. TopTop #10
    Geni Houston

What is sad and disgarceful are people who think they area above the law and specifically, deliberately and continually drink and drive and snuff out the lives of human beings with their actions. You go, Chief Weaver!

11. TopTop #11
    bodegahead

The Petaluma Police Dept pretty much oversees all of the checkpoints in Sonoma County cities. They have the cones, they have the mobile command center and are gung ho and they like going all over the county doing roadblocks. If you ever see a large number of the Petaluma Police rolling thru town with their command center around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, they are on their way to do a roadblock.
    The way I understood the Chief regarding the funding is that the Petaluma Police Department applies for a grant on behalf of all Sonoma County cities.Since the grant is for all Sonoma cities and large enough for the whole county each city is required to participate to meet the terms of the grant. I guess Sebastopol could ask to opt out of the grant request, but I don`t think that is going to.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by someguy: View Post
    Aren't the grants federal? I thought that is what he said in the interview. My question is, if these checkpoints don't really work all that well (like chief said), and the saturation method works way better, why is he wasting our money on DUI checkpoints that he knows aren't effective?

I think he spends our money in this manner because, like he said, he thinks its a great thing that his officers get to encounter thousands of citizens legally without any cause or reason. To me, that just proves that the chief would love to just to pry into every one's private life and dig up as many infractions as possible. Luckily, he only has 14 officers or so... But still, my local police force should not squander our money, and should definitly not favor unprovoked massive interrogations.

This is proof of the police state mentality that is shared by much of the law enforcment community now a days. I find it sad and disgraceful. I hope he's not reading this....

12. TopTop #12
    nicofrog

I feel the strain of the controversy here,and as usual, I feel we are smoke-screening a bigger issue that probably kills as many as "driving under the influence"

It is Horrible what drunk driving does, and ways to prevent it need to be developed. Until then, the checkpoints, as I see it are probably the only way.

unfortunately, smart teen drivers, who knowingly drive drunk and fast, can easily avoid them.

THE REAL PROBLEM IN OUR CULTURE IS ADRENALIN ADDICTION

As far as I'm concerned,3/4 of the people in Santa Rosa, where I drive almost every day,are drunk all the time because they are constantly TAILGATEING even on highway 12 at 65 (read 72) they are within 12 to 14 feet of each other every day in plain sight all the time and I have never seen a cop stop ANYONE for that. I would challenge the highway patrol to show their arrests and convictions for that idiotic driving habit.

Occasionally once every 3 to 5 yrs there will be a huge pileup on 101, everyone will lament and wonder at the causes...how COULD a semi get mixed up and go on it's side with 6 cars and trucks piled up on one side and a dozen off the road in various states of damage?.

Once, I was driving north through Santa Rosa on a clear sunny day, following at a safe distance, and I noticed things going up in the air ahead like lawn chairs,coolers tools junk and debris old tires etc. (I was going sixty) Cars ahead were swerving and brake lights were on,I went into the dirt on the side,not wanting to be hit from behind,pulled my car into 4 whl drive,and gunned along an embankment about 15 ft. above the highway as I cruised past in this bizzare manner, I dared one glimps to the left,there were cars and pickuptrucks going end over end spinning and smashing flying through the air just like you see in the movies... Lives being destroyed in an instant. I entered the freeway beyond the fracus stunned and amazed driving on an empty freeway while many people had a different day than they had expected.

I have seen the night fog crashes in Sacramento, bodies all over the ground, like an airplane crash.
    When will people CARE that it's 10 ' per 10 miles an hour NO EXCEPTIONS there is no exemption from physics . NO your brakes are not better, NO you are not more quick witted or smarter than momentum, and NO I am Not O K with someone driving right behind me for whatever reason, its a threat to my life and property, and I'd rather have a drunk back there at the right distance.

Santa Rosa also amazes me for needing SIGNS to say $270 fine for red light violation over each intersection..I'm like "yeah well DUH" but then in three years, I have seen 10 people and 2 cops(without their lights blinking) run street lights here!!! What's UP with that??

I would really take driver ed teachers to TASK around here...It AIN'T happinin.. some how the hammer is missing the nail, DRUNK DRIVING is just a symptom of a much larger dysfunktion adrenalin movies, and games like "grand theft auto" (where you gain points for running over pedestrians) out sell everything else at the box office. THAT ,and the general HURRY we have been convinced exists, are more to fault than any one particular drug.

We need to watch how we raise our children, and pass on habits from our ancestry that are no longer useful. such as calling an energetic child a "pistol", or rewarding competition over compassion, as is so often done in our "sacred"sports.

There was a scofflaw crackdown in Gurneville a year or two ago that scared me a lot more than this checkpoint thing.Social profiling,lot of funky people there for the police to push around, they would not try it in downtown fourth street.

The police may not search your car if you are a licensed driver, or if the registered owner of the car is on board, without "probable cause"

The judiciary in general cannot afford a lot of convictions and jury trials right now, so I doubt most of this goes anywhere beyond the fact that they want to have a closer relationship with the public.It's lonly out there in uniform!! And It is a fact that drunk drivers KILL.

So BEFRIEND A COP TODAY let them know they are real people too and not just a threat... If you think cops suck, when you are in trouble call a hippie!

Will there be a tailgating crackdown? I doubt it, we all quietly accept that we are crazy and that's just how things are. The technology exists to make tailgating impossible with cars now, how many years will it take to implement (my guess is fifty)

Quiz: On 101 to Marin is the speed limit really eighty?
    or is it me? Nico

I'd say,from my informal survey, that 1 in every 4 cars in California in general is a tailgater, in Santa Rosa its one in every three.

I've had people behind me blow their horn BEFORE the light changes,like in New York, just to make sure i get going...and No I don't drive a V.W.bus.

Sebastopol Police Chief Jeff Weaver was kind enough to speak with me about the recent DUI Checkpoint in Sebastopol that has raised questions and concerns in our PD: Cracking down on drunken drivers (DUI CHECKPOINTS) thread.

He addresses:
    1) The efficacy and efficiency of DUI Checkpoints vs. Saturation Patrols
    2) DUI Checkpoint statistics
    3) Invasion of privacy issues
    4) Ulterior motives for checkpoint (ie: searching for transportation of marijuana?)
    5) Sebastopol DUI arrest statistics
    6) DUI Checkpoint funding
    7) Peace in Medicine

(If you are reading this in an email, see this post on the website to listen to the interview:
    https://www.waccobb.net/forums/gener...html#post97339 )

And if you still don't see the media player on this post on the website, try clicking on this link:
    19 minutes
    Last edited by Barry; 09-14-2009 at 10:54 AM.

13. TopTop #13
    justme

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nicofrog: View Post
    I feel the strain of the controversy here,and as usual, I feel we are smoke-screening a bigger issue that probably kills as many as "driving under the influence"

It is Horrible what drunk driving does, and ways to prevent it need to be developed. Until then, the checkpoints, as I see it are probably the only way.

unfortunately, smart teen drivers, who knowingly drive drunk and fast, can easily avoid them.

THE REAL PROBLEM IN OUR CULTURE IS ADRENALIN ADDICTION

As far as I'm concerned,3/4 of the people in Santa Rosa, where I drive almost every day,are drunk all the time because they are constantly TAILGATEING even on highway 12 at 65 (read 72) they are within 12 to 14 feet of each other every day in plain sight all the time and I have never seen a cop stop ANYONE for that. I would challenge the highway patrol to show their arrests and convictions for that idiotic driving habit.

Ho hum.....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-14-2009 at 06:01 PM.

14. TopTop #14
    justme

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bodegahead: View Post
    The Petaluma Police Dept pretty much oversees all of the checkpoints in Sonoma County cities. They have the cones, they have the mobile command center and are gung ho and they like going all over the county doing roadblocks. If you ever see a large number of the Petaluma Police rolling thru town with their command center around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, they are on their way to do a roadblock.
    The way I understood the Chief regarding the funding is that the Petaluma Police Department applies for a grant on behalf of all Sonoma County cities.Since the grant is for all Sonoma cities and large enough for the whole county each city is required to participate to meet the terms of the grant. I guess Sebastopol could ask to opt out of the grant request, but I don`t think that is going to.

People talk about funding, intention, conspiracy, corruption, police state, etc.. Lets just get the impaired drivers off the road without a lot of "deep" "progressive" "analyzing" and the best excuse I have heard...." the government is out to get us" thinking.... I really have to laugh... If you feel your liberties have been invaded, what have you done about it instead of posting on a bulletin board? Have you contacted your representatives? talked to your friends?: Written the paper? (By the way, not a damn letter to the editor from all you pissed off folks)...

If you really feel the way you talk, speak up, no matter if it's popular or not....By the way, I have received to date, 3 physical threats of violence for my comments on this thread. Am I intimidated? No.. Energized? Yes... Finally 3 people have become really dedicated to their views... Hope I can meet them half-way!!!!

BTW..... Thanks Tars and Yuba Jeff for your inspiration and ample supply of rhetoric...

15. TopTop #15
    bodegahead

Quote Posted in reply to the post by justme: View Post
    People talk about funding, intention, conspiracy, corruption, police state, etc.. Lets just get the impaired drivers off the road without a lot of "deep" "progressive" "analyzing" and the best excuse I have heard...." the government is out to get us" thinking.... I really have to laugh... If you feel your liberties have been invaded, what have you done about it instead of posting on a bulletin board? Have you contacted your representatives? talked to your friends?: Written the paper? (By the way, not a damn letter to the editor from all you pissed off folks)...

If you really feel the way you talk, speak up, no matter if it's popular or not....By the way, I have received to date, 3 physical threats of violence for my comments on this thread. Am I intimidated? No.. Energized? Yes... Finally 3 people have become really dedicated to their views... Hope I can meet them half-way!!!!

BTW..... Thanks Tars and Yuba Jeff for your inspiration and ample supply of rhetoric...

Does this look familiar to you?

"Well just wanted to say that I am all done with THIS thread. It has gotten too worn out."

Oh I guess you meant the other the thread. This ones different, right. Maybe you have your threads confused but in my post on this thread and the post I responded to on this thread we were discussing funding and the police chiefs interview. I believe you made your feelings clear on "the other thread, and yes, I agree with you, "it has gotten to worn out"
    Last edited by bodegahead; 09-14-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: grammer

16. TopTop #16

Thanks for the great interview Barry. I really enjoyed listening to it. The Chief is a very good communicator and seemed to have his facts together.

We are lucky to have him to protect and serve Sebastopol.

17. TopTop #17
    Bird Watcher

I've always had the greatest respect for Chief Weaver, ever since he arrived at his post. So many towns/cities do not have a police chief with his even-handed, logical, and humanity-based approach to the very difficult job that he is sworn to.